Hope Unseen: The Story of the U.S. Army's First Blind Active-Duty Officer

Hope Unseen: The Story of the U.S. Army's First Blind Active-Duty Officer

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  57 reviews
A nervous glance from a man in a parked car. Muted instincts from a soldier on patrol. Violent destruction followed by total darkness. Two weeks later, Scotty Smiley woke up in Walter Reed Army Medical Center, helpless . . . and blind.

Blindness became Scotty’s journey of supreme testing. As he lay helpless in the hospital, Captain Smiley resented the t...more
Published September 14th 2010 by Howard Books

To ask other readers questions about Hope Unseen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hope Unseen

Black Hawk Down by Mark BowdenLone Survivor by Marcus LuttrellGeneration Kill by Evan WrightBand of Brothers by Stephen E. AmbroseThe Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
Best Modern Day Military Accounts
126th out of 173 books — 407 voters
I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua HarrisThe Horse and His Boy by C.S. LewisThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Book for girls list
15th out of 51 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Sally
Read this for book club - not really my cup of tea as I'm not really a fan of heavily inspirational stories. The best part, by far, was the description of the scene where he was injured. That chapter was quite compelling, and I wish the writing in the rest of the book had been able to stand up to that.
Mike
You've graduated from The Military Academy at West Point and you've completed your Ranger Training, a required course for all First Lt.s. coming out of West Point, before you are allowed to lead soldiers in the field.

You're also a newly wed and looking forward to living a full life with your bride. Your orders come in and you are heading to Iraq. Both your wife and you have been church going, praying and Bible reading Christians all of your lives. So, everything is going your way and a year lo...more
Ann
This cannot fail to be an inspiration to all who read it. Captain Smiley was first introduced to me at our church where he was invited to speak for the Memorial Day weekend service. His book was there for sale also and I purchased it and had him sign it after the service. Great experiences of suffering can either deepen one's faith or cancel it out, depending on what choices we make. Scotty Smiley and his wife, Tiffany, are two people who have allowed God to deepen their faith through suffering...more
Catie
Oh, this book was great. I picked it up Friday and spent a good portion of my weekend in its pages, finishing it up on Sunday. Scott Smiley is a good balance of light-hearted and profound as he details his journey from West Point cadet to battalion leader in Iraq to blind active duty officer now teaching leadership at West Point. His tremendous faith in God and love for his family & friends & country shines through and uplifts. Read it read it read it!
Bill
Yes, this man's story can definitely be inspiring. Since being blinded in Iraq, Scotty Smiley has indeed accomplished a lot. However, I am not much of a God & Country guy. While Smiley can easily reconcile his belief in God with his killing folks as a soldier, I cannot. So, all his "Christian values" fell on deaf ears in my case.
Paul
Dec 12, 2010 Paul rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: none
Recommended to Paul by: who else?
My hat's off to Smilely for his service and for conquering graduate level statistics without the add of scratch paper, chalk board or calculator. Wow. Otherwise, this book is strictly for God's sheep, of which I am not. This and the lack luster writing brought on the low rating.
Jocelyn Green
I am not usually a big fan of books about people who lived through a traumatic event, and I’ll tell you why. Some books tell readers everything about a person’s life, when really, we just want to know about the traumatic event and recovery, with enough backstory to make it meaningful. But please, don’t tell me about your sixth grade dance. Other books about traumatic events either don’t feel authentic, as in, the author doesn’t really let us see the ugly side of their journey because he/she does...more
Alexandria knox
Mar 12, 2011 Alexandria knox rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all Enlisted, NCOs, Comissioned, and civilians
Recommended to Alexandria by: military professional reading list
A Hope Unseen, Inspiration from an Army Captain and What His Words on Leadership and Life Have Taught Me
It is devotion to duty and selfless service that makes America the nation it is today. This is my review of Hope Unseen by Captain Scotty Smiley. This book is amazing. It is one of the recommended books on the Military Professional reading list. Captain Smiley is an Active Duty Army Officer who lost his sight in Iraq. His book touched me so much because I was born totally blind myself, and my...more
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Captain Scotty Smiley, might not see things like we do, but it doesn't mean he doesn't see what is important and how to live his life despite seemingly difficult circumstances. While serving in Mosul in Iraq he became the target of a suicide bomber and subsequently lost his eyesight. He could have dealt with things as most of us would have and simply come home and attempt to live a life as best as he could now being completely blind, but he didn't. He did things most of us only imagine. He scale...more
Brooke
Really good read that I just couldn't put down. Its the story of a soldier who lost his eyes in a car bomb in Iraq and his struggle dealing with a new life of blindness. Scotty is also a man of faith and the book talks a lot, very honest and frank, about the subsequent loss of faith and his renewing his faith through what would be a testing time for anyone. I liked how the book wasn't just about Scotty, it is also about his wife, who's also had her life turned upside down by Scotts blindness.

I g...more
IrenesChristianReviews
This is a very moving story about an officer in the Army who loses his sight while serving in Iraq. You will follow him on his journey through the loss of his sight to accomplishing goals he never thought possible.

This book is not about the tragedy of something lost but about the hope for a future. From mountain climbing to surfing you will follow this brave man as he conquers adventures even a man with sight may find hard.

I enjoyed reading this book. I liked how it showed the positive and nega...more
Monica Holvey
This story is truly inspirational... I personally know Scotty and he is a living and breathing example of my favorite poem:

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A bird will fall frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."

In the beginning, he was the person who did feel sorry for himself. All of us would if our sight was taken from us. This man had to mentally overcome his blindness, and this story illustrates that he did. The underlying tone here, however, is what...more
Megan

Imagine you have lost your eyesight and now you not only have to relearn everyday tasks as a blind person, but you also want to continue your military career? Active Duty Army Officer, Scott Smiley inspires the reader with his stalwart faith and courage in his book, Hope Unseen. Scott found the strength to reclaim his career, despite his injuries while serving in Iraq, and pursued his athletic achievements even after losing his eyesight. He climbed Mount Rainier, surfed, skydived, won an ESPY a...more
Paul Smith
Very inspiring story of a young Army officer severely wounded in Iraq. Amazing story of faith, recovery, and hope.
Charlie Bechtold
A must read for all! Inspirational true story how CPT Smiley and his wife overcame adversity.
Karen & Gerard
A Remarkable story! Hope Unseen by Captain Scott Smiley and Doug Crandall works in so many ways. Scott Smiley was a platoon leader in Iraq when a bomb blinded him for life but not before he helped save the men under his command. He received the Purple Heart. He climbed up a mountain, surfed in Hawaii, got his M.B.A. from Duke and won the MacArthur Leadership Award--all while blind! This is also a great faith story. He was strong in the faith of the Lord, lost it, and now he gives talks in church...more
Mindy
I thank these offers for being honest about their emotions and appreciate their courage
Lisa
I thought this book was full of raw emotion well put into words. It is honest and was a boost for me in the faith department. I have been to West Point, so I understand a lot of the lingo, but I think it would be very meaningful to someone who didn't have that background as well. I wouldn't want to be in CPT Smiley's shoes, but I appreciated him showing me what it might be like. He is truly a hero and a leader of character and I am honored that he is still serving in our Army.
Lisa
An inspirational story of living your faith and finding freedom and possibility in the worst of circumstances. Written as more of a conversation than a novel or autobiography. I do not usually read a lot of military stories but we used this as a read a loud. The boys were impressed. You read the book and you know that he is a hero but you do not feel that removed from him...in the sense that if you met him, you feel like he could be a friend of your family.
Kathryn Johnston
i went to high school with scotty, and spent summers working at the pool with him. he was the all american boy, the kind every girl loves, and mother adores! he was super athletic, funny and kind to everyone. he married a gorgeous girl that he dated in high school and was off to war after graduating from west point. now he is blind from a car bomb, but still living his life in an amazing way! i haven't read this book yet but im sure it will be awesome....
J. Kennedy
I've been searching for a Christian biography where someone struggles with their faith. There is no such struggle in this book. I feel like it skimmed the edges of his "real" feelings. I'm disabled. I could imagine the loss of sight. I wonder if an able-bodied person felt what he felt through his writing. I don't think so, but my opinion might be biased, because I was hoping for something different.
Denise
Encouroat the challenges. aging telling of a man who struggles to accept an awful situation. I appreciate that he doesn't sugarcoat the challenges. Since he is honest about the hardship, the victory is also believable. As a teacher, I especially liked his honest portrayal of his first teaching experiences. I plan to use his story in my class - to help students realize you only lose if you quit trying!
Kimberly McRae
Jun 26, 2011 Kimberly McRae rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: non-fiction
Hope Unseen is a wonderful account of one man's faith in God through unexpected circumstances. Captain Smiley candidly shares his experiences, thoughts, trials, and triumphs with the reader. Scotty and Tiffany Smiley's lives are a testimony of God's faithfulness to His children and are an inspiration to others.
Joan Parker
Everyone should read this book. Written with complete honesty of his thoughts and feelings. This man has amazing integrity to choose life and life abundantly instead of defeat. Also so encouraging to see how the hand of God has worked in his life and to remind us all the joys of walking by faith!
Michellehall
This was a gift from a good friend and BOY what a great gift it was. He's endured unimaginable challenges, but still Capt. Scotty Smiley praises God. It's a great story, humourous anecdotes, and just what you need when you start feeling sorry for yourself or wondering what God's purpose really is.
Jim
I do not know what to say. This has been on my list for a while, and I finally found a copy while I was on vacation. I only wish I had not waited so long to get this one. Everyone should stop what ever it is that they are doing and go buy this book today, and then read it tomorrow.
Carrie
I loved reading this book. The way Captain Smiley tells his story helps you to live those few years right alongside Tiffany and him. I love the way he talks about his faith, and how he takes you on the journey of his high and low points. Great story. Great book.
Dan Ragsdale
In a word, life-changing (OK, OK, 2 words!). The fact that I put this book on more of my goodreads "shelves" than any other book speaks, well, volumes.

Christian or non-Christian, you can not help but be inspired by Scotty's story.

Darcie
This was one of the most inspiring books I've read in a long time. This man is amazing and it really helps you prioritize your life. So well written that you laugh and cry with Scotty and his family and friends. Must read book.
  • Men, Women and the Mystery of Love: Practical Insights from John Paul II's Love and Responsibility
  • David: Seeking a Heart Like His
  • Prepared for a Purpose: The Inspiring True Story of How One Woman Saved an Atlanta School Under Siege
  • Soldier's Heart: Reading Literature Through Peace and War at West Point
  • A Rope and a Prayer: A Kidnapping from Two Sides
  • Castaway Kid: One Man's Search for Hope and Home (Focus on the Family Books)
  • Viper Pilot: A Memoir of Air Combat
  • The Long Way Home (A Secret Refuge, #3)
  • Dinner with the Smileys: One Military Family, One Year of Heroes, and Lessons for a Lifetime
  • A Sliver of Light: Three Americans Imprisoned in Iran
  • Beyond the Bear: How I Learned to Live and Love Again after Being Blinded by a Bear
  • The Fourth Star: Four Generals and the Epic Struggle for the Future of the United States Army
  • Chaser: Unlocking the Genius of the Dog Who Knows a Thousand Words
  • I Had a Hammer: The Hank Aaron Story
  • Fields of Grace: Faith, Friendship, and the Day I Nearly Lost Everything
  • The Winter Horses
  • Dark Justice
  • The Wings of Morning (Snapshots in History, #1)
Hope Unseen: The Triumphant Faith of Scotty Smiley A Sustainable Future: Fish Processing Byproducts; Proceedings: Symposium on a Sustainable Future: Fish Processing Byproducts (2009: Portland, Or)