Start by marking “Farragut North” as Want to Read:
Farragut North

Farragut North

Book annotation not available for this title.
Title: Farragut North
Author: Willimon, Beau
Publisher: Dramatist's Play Service
Publication Date: 2010/03/31
Number of Pages: 70
Binding Type: PAPERBACK
Library of Congress:
Published January 1st 2009 by Dramatists Play Service

To ask other readers questions about Farragut North, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farragut North

Rachel C.
This play, the source material for the Clooney movie "Ides of March", was Beau Willimon's ticket to House of Cards. Based on reading this play versus the screenplay, and the early draft of the House of Cards pilot (on Wikileaks!) versus the shooting script, I have surmised a couple of things about Mr. Willimon.

1. The guy has a pretty dim view of human nature. I mean, I tend to skew cynical myself, but DAMN. Is a single decent, moral character too much to ask for? I really miss Jed Bartlett.

2. He
Sam Taylor
Jul 30, 2014 Sam Taylor rated it liked it
After being thoroughly impressed with the film adaptation , I was immediately interested in reading Farragut North, as it seemed to have many things I loved seeing in American political drama's: journalism, back-alley deals, double-crossing, scandals and much more. Therefore, I will simply say right off the bat, the film version is better.

While I won't say I was disappointed with Farragut North, it certainly is an entertaining and intriguing read and I imagine it makes a relatively straight for
Amanda
Feb 10, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
Probably hadn't read a play since high school but read this because the movie 'Ides of March' was based on it and it was nominated for best adapted screenplay. Very interesting to sort of 'see how the sausage' was made on this one. The play and the movie were vastly different. The movie was a huge improvement. Made for a quick read though and it was kind of cool to notice how characters are developed differently in plays than in books.
Franc
Aug 07, 2016 Franc rated it liked it
The play is a quick, enjoyable read. The dialogue is crisp and Mametian, and you can easily see this 2005 play as training wheels for Willimon's later vehicle, HBO’s House of Cards. In 2011, George Clooney filmed a 12” extended dance version of Farragut North, called The Ides of March, and I think the story benefits from the addition of the 3rd Act.

The play is centered around by a young, whipsmart political operative and his interactions and subsequent schooling by two older operatives. The pla
notgettingenough
Oct 31, 2011 notgettingenough rated it liked it
Shelves: drama
I wonder if the author wrote this, hoping it would get picked up as a movie? I sat through the Ides of March today, wondering how it could be that I'd seen it before. I guess that makes the play not particularly memorable. I just don't think there is enough in it and that applies to the movie too. Ryan Gosling looking like Ryan Gosling isn't enough.
Jeni
Sep 12, 2013 Jeni rated it really liked it
A look at the backroom of politics which is as fueled by prestige as the front of house is.
Great dialogue that reads as improv speech rather then a written word.

From a staging point of view; simple sets make is adaptable for most venues and budgets. The lack of pop culture candidate names make it ageless.

Good read. Cant wait to see it on stage.
Kendra Carlson
Apr 20, 2016 Kendra Carlson rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
Interesting roles for men - 19 year old female. Could replace the lead with a woman -change dynamics a bit. Good to ride on the coattails of the House of Cards success in an election year.
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2012
Tom
Tom rated it it was ok
Aug 11, 2011
Connie
Connie rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2013
Joshlynn
Joshlynn rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2013
S.c. Nolan
S.c. Nolan rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2012
Jim
Jim rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2014
REDD
Oct 11, 2011 REDD rated it really liked it
very good fast read play....The movie THE IDES OF MARCH made an improvement of this play.
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2011
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2011
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2015
Katerina
Katerina rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2013
Chris Stewart
Chris Stewart rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2011
Raymond
Raymond rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2012
Charles-Louis
Charles-Louis rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2012
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2015
Stefanie
Stefanie rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2017
Jason Manford
Jason Manford rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2012
colin
Nov 30, 2014 colin rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
politics? scandal? intrigue? yes, please.
Hayley
Hayley rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2013
Tim Smith
Tim Smith rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2013
Sheehan Hannan
Sheehan Hannan rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2012
Garett Rostkowski
Garett Rostkowski rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2013