Start by marking “The New Self-Sufficient Gardener” as Want to Read:
The New Self-Sufficient Gardener

The New Self-Sufficient Gardener

A revised edition of an old favorite first published in 1978, this volume explains how to cultivate and preserve all types of fruits, herbs, and vegetables, as well as how to keep bees and raise chickens.
Paperback
Published April 21st 2008 by DK (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The New Self-Sufficient Gardener, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Self-Sufficient Gardener

Mimi
May 14, 2009 Mimi rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mimi by: Sue Domis
As a new homeowner with a ridiculously (and wonderfully) huge garden and an old-fashioned sense of values this book greatly appealed to me and my new husband. (It's been a big, amazing year...) We wanted to learn from our land and our fore-gardeners to really connect with the 1850s house that we live in and the kinds of ways that people not only survived but thrived when it was built. It's good to be self-sufficient!
Emma Mc carthy
Jan 06, 2014 Emma Mc carthy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very practical down to earth book written in simple language,full of good solid info,wonderful illustrations, bit big to keep in the shed but perfect for winter evening when deciding on seed orders!
Nece
Jan 24, 2009 Nece rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book! Definitely a reference book to be consulted often. The illustrations are particularly helpful. Writing is good and helpful even to the new gardener.
Barbara
Oct 29, 2008 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any homesteader or gardener who planning to live on what he produces.
Shelves: gardening
This is another garden book I refer to when I'm planning a garden or trouble-shooting garden problems. It covers everything from making deep beds, propping up climbing or vining plants, hints for each individual fruit, vegetable, or herb, various propagation methods, greenhouse gardening, and even preserving the harvest. It has beautiful color illustrations of the fruits and vegetables at the beginning of the book, and this is followed by illustrations of the same garden layout at various times ...more
Erin Whittier
good, quick reference book for most plants. my problem with it is that a) it is too brief at times where elaboration is appreciated, and b) i find that you have to search around for the same answer. (((eg: when reading about a specific disease in some types of plants, i didn't understand much about it, and had to look at other plants and piece together an incredibly brief description from 3 separate entries.))

i otherwise find this to be a useful guide, but certainly not a gardener's bible. (perh
Jill
Mar 03, 2010 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, gardening
I love John Seymour. I actually have "The New Self-Sufficient Gardener." I checked it out from the library first, but then made the leap and bought it because I liked it so much. He gives a lot of tips for cooler climates, which I appreciated. One of my favorite parts of this book is the section where it talks about the garden during the different seasons. It has lovely illustrations and a lot of information for people that want to grow for self-sufficiency, rather than just to have a few tasty ...more
Bob Lawrence
Aug 09, 2015 Bob Lawrence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very practical and informative, well written with wonderfully useful pictures and some fine vegetable illustrations. I refer to this cherished book in every season of the year for necessary tasks and other planning. This should be the book you buy if you want to start gardening to feed your family and improving your diet. It really could change your life which really may be necessary when Monsanto controls the food supply.
Eric Moote
Aug 02, 2015 Eric Moote rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Hobby gardeners
Recommended to Eric by: Library
Shelves: life-improvement
Overall: Immediately useful and has a ton of information which would make this a valuable book to have on hand.

Although I am not a "self-sufficient" gardener, I do like to garden and love to eat food grown in my backyard. This book would help any hobby gardener immediately, regardless of the season. It's year-round information and tactics for upping your yield and growth.

I would recommend this to: hobby gardeners like me.
Stephanie Macdonald
WOW! This book is AMAZING! If you are like me, a beginning gardener, you will be blown away at the wealth of information in this book. Easy to understand and really gets you motivated to literally go get your hands dirty! Very well organized; you will walk away learning something new every time you pick up this book. I highly recommend it to ALL-we all need to become more self-sufficient.
Rachel
Oct 12, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! It's a great guide to getting started growing your own food. The only thing it lacks is specific climate info, so I have to read it in conjunction with the New Western Garden Book to make sure I can actually grow the things I'm looking at. Not that I currently have a yard (or even a window box) but someday soon I fully intend to get one and grow food in it.
Amelia
Dec 20, 2010 Amelia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best of the general gardening books I read in this fall's garden-related reading. It's a lot like Backyard Homestead but older and with more of a British angle. It seems to be quite thorough and detailed and has lots of nice botanical drawings.
Jim
Mar 05, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it
The author conveys a doable program for the DIY person.Outlining the steps one should take as the year progresses through the seasonal changes. Great read for all whose aspirations often out grow the smallest home garden.
Christine
Jul 10, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it
Shelves: preparedness, garden
I love this book. When my first copy was ruined in a flood, one of the first things I did was order a new copy off Amazon. Good information for gardening, seed saving, composting, and making your land work for you.
Anna
Jul 23, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ag-food
Since this is a reference, I didn't read it cover to cover, but the illustrations are fantastic and the information is super handy and specific.
Karie
Feb 28, 2011 Karie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure this book is great and informative for the experienced gardener, but this novice found it totally overwhelming.
Abby
Feb 15, 2012 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, gardening
The best (and perhaps only) introduction to gardening you'll ever need. John Seymour is practical, funny, kind, and seriously gifted with a green thumb. The illustrations are also beautiful.
Sarah Grundy
Dec 02, 2012 Sarah Grundy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a classic, a great reference that I inherited from my dad. Shame there is no 'NZ' equivalent as the seasons are tailored to the Northern Hemisphere. Maybe someone knows of one?
Renee Wilkinson
Jul 12, 2011 Renee Wilkinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful illustrations and really easy to follow projects. This is a tried-and-true guide to gardening from pruning to growing good soil. I refer to it still when I have questions in the garden.
F.T. Moore
Jun 29, 2013 F.T. Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a reference book, so you're never really finished reading it. Very helpful and useful but requires study.
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2010
Umpahh
Umpahh rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2013
Carolann Madding
Carolann Madding rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Kerri
Kerri rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2015
Veronika Szostak
Veronika Szostak rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
K B
K B rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Joe Blanford
Joe Blanford rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2014
Icesices
Icesices rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2013
Jennifer Moore
Jennifer Moore rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Margo
Margo rated it really liked it
May 11, 2014
bicyclephysics
bicyclephysics rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • The New Organic Grower: A Master's Manual of Tools and Techniques for the Home and Market Gardener
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers
  • Week-by-Week Vegetable Gardener's Handbook: Perfectly Timed Gardening for Your Most Bountiful Harvest Ever
  • Landscaping with Fruit: Strawberry ground covers, blueberry hedges, grape arbors, and 39 other luscious fruits to make your yard an edible paradise.
  • Edible Landscaping
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • The Complete Compost Gardening Guide: Banner Batches, Grow Heaps, Comforter Compost, and Other Amazing Techniques for Saving Time and Money, and Producing the Most Flavorful, Nutritious Vegetables Ever
  • Great Garden Companions: A Companion-Planting System for a Beautiful, Chemical-Free Vegetable Garden
  • Backyard Orchardist: A Complete Guide to Growing Fruit Trees in the Home Garden
  • Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre
  • The Essential Urban Farmer
John Seymour was an idealist- he had a vision of a better world where people aren't alienated from their labours.
As a young man, he travelled all over Africa and fought in Burma in World War II. Returning penniless to England, he lived in a trolley bus and on a Dutch sailing barge before settling on a five-acre smallholding in Suffolk to lead a self-sufficient life. He continued this lifestyle wit
More about John Seymour...