Start by marking “The New Self-Sufficient Gardener” as Want to Read:
The New Self-Sufficient Gardener

The New Self-Sufficient Gardener

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  254 ratings  ·  28 reviews
A revised edition of an old favorite first published in 1978, this volume explains how to cultivate and preserve all types of fruits, herbs, and vegetables, as well as how to keep bees and raise chickens.
Published April 21st 2008 by DK (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The New Self-Sufficient Gardener, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Self-Sufficient Gardener

Fantastic book! Definitely a reference book to be consulted often. The illustrations are particularly helpful. Writing is good and helpful even to the new gardener.
Oct 08, 2009 Mimi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mimi by: Sue Domis
As a new homeowner with a ridiculously (and wonderfully) huge garden and an old-fashioned sense of values this book greatly appealed to me and my new husband. (It's been a big, amazing year...) We wanted to learn from our land and our fore-gardeners to really connect with the 1850s house that we live in and the kinds of ways that people not only survived but thrived when it was built. It's good to be self-sufficient!
The best of the general gardening books I read in this fall's garden-related reading. It's a lot like Backyard Homestead but older and with more of a British angle. It seems to be quite thorough and detailed and has lots of nice botanical drawings.
Emma Mc carthy
Very practical down to earth book written in simple language,full of good solid info,wonderful illustrations, bit big to keep in the shed but perfect for winter evening when deciding on seed orders!
Erin Whittier
good, quick reference book for most plants. my problem with it is that a) it is too brief at times where elaboration is appreciated, and b) i find that you have to search around for the same answer. (((eg: when reading about a specific disease in some types of plants, i didn't understand much about it, and had to look at other plants and piece together an incredibly brief description from 3 separate entries.))

i otherwise find this to be a useful guide, but certainly not a gardener's bible. (perh
Oct 29, 2008 Barbara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any homesteader or gardener who planning to live on what he produces.
Shelves: gardening
This is another garden book I refer to when I'm planning a garden or trouble-shooting garden problems. It covers everything from making deep beds, propping up climbing or vining plants, hints for each individual fruit, vegetable, or herb, various propagation methods, greenhouse gardening, and even preserving the harvest. It has beautiful color illustrations of the fruits and vegetables at the beginning of the book, and this is followed by illustrations of the same garden layout at various times ...more
Eric Moote
Aug 03, 2015 Eric Moote rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Hobby gardeners
Recommended to Eric by: Library
Shelves: life-improvement
Overall: Immediately useful and has a ton of information which would make this a valuable book to have on hand.

Although I am not a "self-sufficient" gardener, I do like to garden and love to eat food grown in my backyard. This book would help any hobby gardener immediately, regardless of the season. It's year-round information and tactics for upping your yield and growth.

I would recommend this to: hobby gardeners like me.
Stephanie Macdonald
WOW! This book is AMAZING! If you are like me, a beginning gardener, you will be blown away at the wealth of information in this book. Easy to understand and really gets you motivated to literally go get your hands dirty! Very well organized; you will walk away learning something new every time you pick up this book. I highly recommend it to ALL-we all need to become more self-sufficient.
I can see why this book is still well read, I love it, staying on the shelf.
I love John Seymour. I actually have "The New Self-Sufficient Gardener." I checked it out from the library first, but then made the leap and bought it because I liked it so much. He gives a lot of tips for cooler climates, which I appreciated. One of my favorite parts of this book is the section where it talks about the garden during the different seasons. It has lovely illustrations and a lot of information for people that want to grow for self-sufficiency, rather than just to have a few tasty ...more
* Bar *
la Bibbia del mio orto. Eccellente!
I love this book! It's a great guide to getting started growing your own food. The only thing it lacks is specific climate info, so I have to read it in conjunction with the New Western Garden Book to make sure I can actually grow the things I'm looking at. Not that I currently have a yard (or even a window box) but someday soon I fully intend to get one and grow food in it.
The author conveys a doable program for the DIY person.Outlining the steps one should take as the year progresses through the seasonal changes. Great read for all whose aspirations often out grow the smallest home garden.
I love this book. When my first copy was ruined in a flood, one of the first things I did was order a new copy off Amazon. Good information for gardening, seed saving, composting, and making your land work for you.
The best (and perhaps only) introduction to gardening you'll ever need. John Seymour is practical, funny, kind, and seriously gifted with a green thumb. The illustrations are also beautiful.
Renee Wilkinson
Beautiful illustrations and really easy to follow projects. This is a tried-and-true guide to gardening from pruning to growing good soil. I refer to it still when I have questions in the garden.
Sarah Grundy
This is a classic, a great reference that I inherited from my dad. Shame there is no 'NZ' equivalent as the seasons are tailored to the Northern Hemisphere. Maybe someone knows of one?
Since this is a reference, I didn't read it cover to cover, but the illustrations are fantastic and the information is super handy and specific.
I'm sure this book is great and informative for the experienced gardener, but this novice found it totally overwhelming.
F.T. Moore
This is a reference book, so you're never really finished reading it. Very helpful and useful but requires study.
Molt útil i complet per als urbanites que volen iniciar-se en el món de l'horticultura.
Extemely thorough, though geared for gardening in the U.K.
Lisa Harwell
This will be forever on my "currently reading" shelf
awesome illustrations, and excellent information
gardening according to hobbits.
Love it!!! Going to buy it
For planning the yard.
Rodney marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • The New Organic Grower: A Master's Manual of Tools and Techniques for the Home and Market Gardener
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • Week-by-Week Vegetable Gardener's Handbook: Perfectly Timed Gardening for Your Most Bountiful Harvest Ever
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers
  • Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre
  • Edible Landscaping
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • The Complete Compost Gardening Guide: Banner Batches, Grow Heaps, Comforter Compost, and Other Amazing Techniques for Saving Time and Money, and Producing the Most Flavorful, Nutritious Vegetables Ever
  • Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • Eat More Dirt: Diverting and Instructive Tips for Growing and Tending an Organic Garden
  • Permaculture: A Designers' Manual
  • How to Grow More Vegetables: And Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine
John Seymour was an idealist- he had a vision of a better world where people aren't alienated from their labours.
As a young man, he travelled all over Africa and fought in Burma in World War II. Returning penniless to England, he lived in a trolley bus and on a Dutch sailing barge before settling on a five-acre smallholding in Suffolk to lead a self-sufficient life. He continued this lifestyle wit
More about John Seymour...
The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It: The Complete Back-To-Basics Guide The New Complete Book Of Self Sufficiency Forgotten Arts and Crafts The Complete Book of Self Sufficiency Forgotten Household Crafts