Rewind, Replay, Repeat

Rewind, Replay, Repeat

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  29 reviews
A Memoir of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Published January 1st 2007 by Hazelden Publishing & Educational Services (first published December 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Rewind, Replay, Repeat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rewind, Replay, Repeat

Jay
As a fellow sufferer of OCD, I can definitely feel the anguish Jeff Bell was going through during the severe bouts of anxiety he suffered (and most likely still suffers). This is something that OCs will probably be the ones to understand, or the ones to really appreciate this book, I think. I know I did. Certain passages really grabbed my attention and spoke to me.

One day I boast of being on top of the world, the next I use the most dire language possible to describe the depths of my hell. One d...more
Sandy D.
This is a lot more readable than the last book on OCD I read a few months ago, probably because the author has worked in communications for years. He's a radio announcer/reporter in CA, who was (and still is!) happily married, successful, etc., when for no particular reason (no trauma in his life), his anxiety and guilt about safety - mostly other people's safety - shot through the roof.

He writes about his attempts to get help in the 90's, different strategies and therapy, coping with OCD, hidin...more
Elaine D
Sep 24, 2011 Elaine D rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: OC's, family members of an OC
As a sufferer of clinical OCD since childhood, I haven't had the courage to read a book on the subject until now. I once tried to watch a TV special on it and ended up vomiting all night. That being said, I can attest that Jeff Bell's accounts of his OCD is accurate and relatable to anyone with the same disorder. I am a "checker" myself-- both a mental checker AND a physical checker. I'm also a "repeater" and a "reassurance seeker" to a fault. I'm now medicated and I see a therapist every other...more
Kay
This is a heart-wrenching look into what it's like to live with severe OCD. And believe me, it seems severe and devastating. The writing is not what's tedious about this book: what really makes you squirm is the repetition that makes little sense to non-OCD brained people. And it's a good kind of squirm, because sometimes it's necessary to know others' pain as part of growing up.

Bell's memoir was a quick read that I could hardly put down. It's easy to get absorbed in, and easier still to just ke...more
Alice
This book was painful to read - it always makes me really uncomfortable to read about the episodes that other OCDers suffer. However, it also makes me feel less weird and alone about it, and occasionally I find something useful in terms of behavioral ways to combat my compulsions. The author's relatively spiritual methods for living with his OCD will not work well for me, I'm afraid.
Mellybeans0919
I love anything to do with psychology so I figured I'd enjoy this book. The first bit was somewhat interesting, but as it went along I found it a bit boring and hard to focus on - so I stopped after a few chapters. Maybe others would enjoy it though.
Chris
Aug 11, 2007 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those with or wanting to understand OCD
I love reading memoirs about funky brains - whether about brain disorders, quirky personalities, mental illnesses or really anything that gets to what makes us tick the way we do. And I have a bit of an obsession with OCD and mental health that in recent years people are talking about more and more. So OCD - I am an orderer. For the most part my OCD is obsessive-compulsive personality, but not so much in disorder. But I GET IT. And once you have beaten it, it's really fun to read about it, at le...more
Masked
i bought this because i have a sister with ocd and i wanted to be more helpful than just messing up her counting when we walk up stairs at the same time. as i read, i found surprising connections to my own bipolar self and behavior i'd sort of ignored. moving with the author through his days, it is easy to see how a person can rationalize and even encourage their own obsessive thoughts.

this book is a little light on how he learns to manage his mind. that is common with this sort of book. folks...more
Kendra
A fascinating book about an individual with OCD, specifically the checking type. The author does a great job of taking us through his daily struggles and triumphs while battling his OCD and helps us to see how challenging it is for him to get through an average day. It is however, primarily an inspiring story about finding the tools, resources, and strength in yourself to overcome what seem to be insurmountable odds. It is a very touching story and a quick read. The quote on the front of the boo...more
Jd Guinn
Was not all that I was looking for, but then when does an OC think he can find all the answers in one place. Like too many of my life situations I may have been guilty of looking for a cure; rather than a solution. Bell did an excellent job of recounting his experience and reported well one other's. This illness presents with so many manifestations that one cannot, in a memoir, pretend to present them all. Regardless of presenting factors, we mostly like order (however chaotic it may seem to oth...more
Ann
I remember Jeff Bell as a commentator on KFBK in Sacramento and enjoyed his easy style of reporting. After reading this memoir, I have a new found respect for him. I have a friend who suffers from OCD and another friend's son who suffers from it; this really gave me insight to the turmoil each lives with daily. Good read if you are interested in how people with OCD view the world
Andi
I've been trying to find interesting books about mental health for an upcoming book club. Bell's memoir about his OCD takes you into the daily dialogue that he experiences in his brain. Sometimes reading this book became tedious, but that helped me gain a greater appreciation for the difficulties of those with OCD. If you ever wondered what goes on in a OCD brain, this is it.
An excellent look inside the mind of an obsessive-compulsive and the struggle/journey Jeff Bell goes through to discover acceptance, release, and spirituality. I laughed, I cried, but most of all, I felt compassion and saw a bit of myself in Jeff's illness. A must-read for those struggling with or struggling to understand OCD or other anxiety-based illness. Five stars.
Becky
Jul 23, 2014 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Becky by: Carol
First person account of the horrors of living with OCD. The author did find help by using the methods listed in the excellent book Brain Lock and through using the tools of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy but had to personalize the tools so that they worked for him. Good resource for anyone who is OC or knows someone who is.
Jenn
I really want to pass this along to an OC friend, but don't know if he'll read a used book or consider it contaminated! I really appreciated this guy's honesty about his struggle, and that he admits it took a combo of therapy, meds, spirituality, connectedness and self-will to make strides. Very inspiring!
I liked this book. It wasnt that well written but it does what it is intended to do...recount a struggle with OCD. I like books that give hope. We can learn so much from other peoples lives, mistakes and experiences. Which is exactly why I love to read memoirs.
This book changed my life. I can't recommend it more highly especially with all the OCD talk out there in the media these days - Jeff shares his honest touching inspiring story. Can't wait for his next book being published this fall by New World Library!!
Alexandra
Astonishing first person account of OCD. This man has accomplished a tremendous feat in writing this clear, complex, highly readable and, yes, utterly compelling acount of his years coming to terms with OCD. Fascinating read.
Jessica
Unfortunately this book just dragged on. It is rare that I give up on a book, but I just could not bare to trudge through it any further. Oh well. It was an interesting look into OCD; it just went on a little too long.
Boomie
We've all heard of the most common manifestations of OCD, but Bell reveals and details his startling array of mind-boggling compulsions whose absurdity forces a sad-tinged laughter.
Deanna Mora
This book was too long and drawn out. I usually read a book in less than a week and this took me nearly a month because it was difficult to stay involved with.
John
Terrific insight into an OCD sufferer's tortured world, and his failures in dealing with those issues, before an ultimately successful result - definitely recommended.
Lisa
I learned so much about OCD, and how it impacts so many lives. We all have some OCD tendencies, so thankfully mine are not to this extreme.
Jill
This must have been a difficult book to write. Will certainly recommend parts to those wanting a better understanding of OCD.
Katherine
Very well-written, but very painful to read. Because it is so well-written. Read at your own risk.
Janie
Hard for me to handle some of the subject, but definitely a solidly good read, and a quick read too.
Elizabeth Alley
An Honest, Authentic, and touching story of OCD. Well written, and enlightening.
Ilona
I learned a lot about OCD from this book - wow! Very enlightening and human
ami
not quite what i thought it would be.
Shannon Dooley
Shannon Dooley marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
  • Just Checking: Scenes From the Life of an Obsessive-Compulsive
  • A Legacy of Madness: Recovering My Family from Generations of Mental Illness
  • Nowhere Near Normal: A Memoir of OCD
  • Parallel Play
  • The Boy Who Couldn't Stop Washing: The Experience and Treatment of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
  • Triggered: A Memoir of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
  • Goodbye Ed, Hello Me: Recover from Your Eating Disorder and Fall in Love with Life
  • Not As Crazy As I Seem
  • Multiple Choice
  • Empty: A Story of Anorexia
  • Agathe von Trapp: Memories Before and After The Sound of Music
  • Diary of an Exercise Addict
  • Lovey: A Very Special Child
  • This Cold Heaven: Seven Seasons in Greenland
  • Restricted: A Novel of Half-Truths
Jeff Bell is an author, news anchor, and motivational speaker.

Since the publication of his OCD memoir, “Rewind, Replay, Repeat,” in early 2007, he has traveled extensively, lending his support to numerous mental health organizations, including the OC Foundation, for which he now serves as a National Spokesperson.

He is a 2007 recipient of Mental Health America’s prestigious forWARDS Award, for “mo...more
More about Jeff Bell...
When in Doubt, Make Belief: An OCD-Inspired Approach to Living with Uncertainty Did I Just Say That?: The Powerful Influence of Words How to Potty Train a Puppy OCD: A Guide for the Newly Diagnosed Biology Labs On-Line Ecology Version Site License