Start by marking “Rewind Replay Repeat: A Memoir of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: A Memoir of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder” as Want to Read:

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  214 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
"Rewind, Replay, Repeat" is the revealing story of Jeff Bell's struggle with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and his hard-won recovery. Nagging doubt: It's a part of everyday life. Who hasn't doubled back to check on a door or appliance? But what if one check wasn't enough? Nor two or three? And what if nagging doubt grew so intense that physical senses became all but ...more
Published May 27th 2014 by Hazelden Publishing & Educational Services (first published December 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Rewind Replay Repeat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rewind Replay Repeat

Jay
As a fellow sufferer of OCD, I can definitely feel the anguish Jeff Bell was going through during the severe bouts of anxiety he suffered (and most likely still suffers). This is something that OCs will probably be the ones to understand, or the ones to really appreciate this book, I think. I know I did. Certain passages really grabbed my attention and spoke to me.

One day I boast of being on top of the world, the next I use the most dire language possible to describe the depths of my hell. One d
Sandy D.
This is a lot more readable than the last book on OCD I read a few months ago, probably because the author has worked in communications for years. He's a radio announcer/reporter in CA, who was (and still is!) happily married, successful, etc., when for no particular reason (no trauma in his life), his anxiety and guilt about safety - mostly other people's safety - shot through the roof.

He writes about his attempts to get help in the 90's, different strategies and therapy, coping with OCD, hidin
Elaine D
Sep 24, 2011 Elaine D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: OC's, family members of an OC
As a sufferer of clinical OCD since childhood, I haven't had the courage to read a book on the subject until now. I once tried to watch a TV special on it and ended up vomiting all night. That being said, I can attest that Jeff Bell's accounts of his OCD is accurate and relatable to anyone with the same disorder. I am a "checker" myself-- both a mental checker AND a physical checker. I'm also a "repeater" and a "reassurance seeker" to a fault. I'm now medicated and I see a therapist every other ...more
Kay
This is a heart-wrenching look into what it's like to live with severe OCD. And believe me, it seems severe and devastating. The writing is not what's tedious about this book: what really makes you squirm is the repetition that makes little sense to non-OCD brained people. And it's a good kind of squirm, because sometimes it's necessary to know others' pain as part of growing up.

Bell's memoir was a quick read that I could hardly put down. It's easy to get absorbed in, and easier still to just ke
Rhonnie
Jun 30, 2016 Rhonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Really liked this book. Makes me realize that I take for granted a life with a (somewhat) normal functioning brain, especially since I sometimes struggle with anxiety and racing/obsessive thoughts. I could relate to a lot of his issues (although not even close to what he suffers). The amount of compassion I feel for him is unending! He inspires me for doing the HARD work it takes to move forward one day at a time, as with an addiction. Also - his wife Samantha is a saint, and I'd love to read a ...more
Alice
Mar 19, 2011 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was painful to read - it always makes me really uncomfortable to read about the episodes that other OCDers suffer. However, it also makes me feel less weird and alone about it, and occasionally I find something useful in terms of behavioral ways to combat my compulsions. The author's relatively spiritual methods for living with his OCD will not work well for me, I'm afraid.
Mellybeans0919
Jan 30, 2010 Mellybeans0919 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love anything to do with psychology so I figured I'd enjoy this book. The first bit was somewhat interesting, but as it went along I found it a bit boring and hard to focus on - so I stopped after a few chapters. Maybe others would enjoy it though.
Chris
Aug 11, 2007 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those with or wanting to understand OCD
I love reading memoirs about funky brains - whether about brain disorders, quirky personalities, mental illnesses or really anything that gets to what makes us tick the way we do. And I have a bit of an obsession with OCD and mental health that in recent years people are talking about more and more. So OCD - I am an orderer. For the most part my OCD is obsessive-compulsive personality, but not so much in disorder. But I GET IT. And once you have beaten it, it's really fun to read about it, at le ...more
Masked
Feb 16, 2009 Masked rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: way-true-helpful
i bought this because i have a sister with ocd and i wanted to be more helpful than just messing up her counting when we walk up stairs at the same time. as i read, i found surprising connections to my own bipolar self and behavior i'd sort of ignored. moving with the author through his days, it is easy to see how a person can rationalize and even encourage their own obsessive thoughts.

this book is a little light on how he learns to manage his mind. that is common with this sort of book. folks
Shannon
Aug 24, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the most detailed look into an OC's brain that I've ever read or seen. His OCD makes my childhood (PANDAS) OCD look like a trip to Hawaii---and I had it all: scrupulosity, harm, checking, repeating, washing, illness. even sexual. Jeff's illness, although limited in scope, seemed to consume him from the inside-out. It's amazing that he suffered for so long yet was able to pull himself out of it. What a brave, determined person.
Kendra
Sep 15, 2012 Kendra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating book about an individual with OCD, specifically the checking type. The author does a great job of taking us through his daily struggles and triumphs while battling his OCD and helps us to see how challenging it is for him to get through an average day. It is however, primarily an inspiring story about finding the tools, resources, and strength in yourself to overcome what seem to be insurmountable odds. It is a very touching story and a quick read. The quote on the front of the boo ...more
Jd Guinn
Was not all that I was looking for, but then when does an OC think he can find all the answers in one place. Like too many of my life situations I may have been guilty of looking for a cure; rather than a solution. Bell did an excellent job of recounting his experience and reported well one other's. This illness presents with so many manifestations that one cannot, in a memoir, pretend to present them all. Regardless of presenting factors, we mostly like order (however chaotic it may seem to oth ...more
Therese Wiese
The book was a little hard to get through, although I still recommend it. You really get a sense of what it is like to live with OCD as an adult.
Ruth
Feb 24, 2016 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an incredible memoirs. It was very honest and moving.
Ann
Jul 27, 2008 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember Jeff Bell as a commentator on KFBK in Sacramento and enjoyed his easy style of reporting. After reading this memoir, I have a new found respect for him. I have a friend who suffers from OCD and another friend's son who suffers from it; this really gave me insight to the turmoil each lives with daily. Good read if you are interested in how people with OCD view the world
Andi
May 02, 2009 Andi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been trying to find interesting books about mental health for an upcoming book club. Bell's memoir about his OCD takes you into the daily dialogue that he experiences in his brain. Sometimes reading this book became tedious, but that helped me gain a greater appreciation for the difficulties of those with OCD. If you ever wondered what goes on in a OCD brain, this is it.
Jun 15, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent look inside the mind of an obsessive-compulsive and the struggle/journey Jeff Bell goes through to discover acceptance, release, and spirituality. I laughed, I cried, but most of all, I felt compassion and saw a bit of myself in Jeff's illness. A must-read for those struggling with or struggling to understand OCD or other anxiety-based illness. Five stars.
Becky
Jul 23, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Becky by: Carol
First person account of the horrors of living with OCD. The author did find help by using the methods listed in the excellent book Brain Lock and through using the tools of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy but had to personalize the tools so that they worked for him. Good resource for anyone who is OC or knows someone who is.
Jenn
I really want to pass this along to an OC friend, but don't know if he'll read a used book or consider it contaminated! I really appreciated this guy's honesty about his struggle, and that he admits it took a combo of therapy, meds, spirituality, connectedness and self-will to make strides. Very inspiring!
Feb 02, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It wasnt that well written but it does what it is intended to do...recount a struggle with OCD. I like books that give hope. We can learn so much from other peoples lives, mistakes and experiences. Which is exactly why I love to read memoirs.
Jul 22, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book changed my life. I can't recommend it more highly especially with all the OCD talk out there in the media these days - Jeff shares his honest touching inspiring story. Can't wait for his next book being published this fall by New World Library!!
Alexandra
Jun 10, 2009 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Astonishing first person account of OCD. This man has accomplished a tremendous feat in writing this clear, complex, highly readable and, yes, utterly compelling acount of his years coming to terms with OCD. Fascinating read.
Jessica
Feb 11, 2010 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately this book just dragged on. It is rare that I give up on a book, but I just could not bare to trudge through it any further. Oh well. It was an interesting look into OCD; it just went on a little too long.
Boomie
Nov 25, 2009 Boomie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We've all heard of the most common manifestations of OCD, but Bell reveals and details his startling array of mind-boggling compulsions whose absurdity forces a sad-tinged laughter.
Deanna Mora
Mar 28, 2013 Deanna Mora rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was too long and drawn out. I usually read a book in less than a week and this took me nearly a month because it was difficult to stay involved with.
John
Nov 09, 2008 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrific insight into an OCD sufferer's tortured world, and his failures in dealing with those issues, before an ultimately successful result - definitely recommended.
Lisa
Feb 15, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned so much about OCD, and how it impacts so many lives. We all have some OCD tendencies, so thankfully mine are not to this extreme.
Jill
This must have been a difficult book to write. Will certainly recommend parts to those wanting a better understanding of OCD.
Katherine
Very well-written, but very painful to read. Because it is so well-written. Read at your own risk.
Janie
May 21, 2008 Janie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Hard for me to handle some of the subject, but definitely a solidly good read, and a quick read too.
A Note of Thanks 1 11 Oct 28, 2008 11:49AM
  • Nowhere Near Normal: A Memoir of OCD
  • Saving Sammy: Curing the Boy Who Caught OCD
  • Passing for Normal
  • The Mindfulness Workbook for OCD: A Guide to Overcoming Obsessions and Compulsions Using Mindfulness and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
  • Triggered: A Memoir of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
  • Of Spirits and Madness: An American Psychiatrist in Africa
  • Marni: My True Story of Stress, Hair-Pulling, and Other Obsessions
  • Parallel Play
  • Just Checking: Scenes From the Life of an Obsessive-Compulsive
  • Delivering Doctor Amelia: The Story of a Gifted Young Obstetrician's Error and the Psychologist Who Helped Her
  • Learning Joy from Dogs without Collars: A Memoir
  • I Hardly Ever Wash My Hands: The Other Side of OCD
Jeff Bell is an author, news anchor, and motivational speaker.

Since the publication of his OCD memoir, “Rewind, Replay, Repeat,” in early 2007, he has traveled extensively, lending his support to numerous mental health organizations, including the OC Foundation, for which he now serves as a National Spokesperson.

He is a 2007 recipient of Mental Health America’s prestigious forWARDS Award, for “mo
More about Jeff Bell...