Start by marking “Long Way Home: A Young Man Lost in the System and the Two Women Who Found Him” as Want to Read:
Long Way Home: A Young Man Lost in the System and the Two Women Who Found Him

Long Way Home: A Young Man Lost in the System and the Two Women Who Found Him

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Nineteen-year-old Jovan Mosley, a good kid from one of Chicago’s very bad neighborhoods, was coerced into confessing to a crime he didn’t commit. Charged with murder, he spent five eyars and eight months in a prison for violent criminals. Without a trial.

Jovan grew up on the rough streets of Chicago’s Southeast side. With one brother dead of HIV complications, another in j
Published September 14th 2010 by Free Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Long Way Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Way Home

Darlene Quinn
I am so glad I chose this as an audio book. It is sad to say I may not have gotten through part one had I been reading the print version. To me it read more like a case study, but I was on a three mile walk, so I kept listening. Admittedly I seldom read non-fiction other than for research. However, the write-up on this story peeked my interest, and since most non-fiction, even in newspapers, incorporates the storytelling skills of fiction and I read that Laura Caldwell was also a novelist, I dow ...more
Elizabeth
Compelling story, okay writing. Although I loved Caldwell's novel for the story it told, I wish it had been written as a more serious account rather than the "mystery-esque" feel she put into it. I would like to have heard way more details about Jovan, his life, his friends, being in prison, suffering in prison, etc. than about the author's friendship with Cathy. I did enjoy the snippets of their friendship but oftentimes, I felt they were repetitive and took away from the overall story. I do lo ...more
James Cannalte
Fascinating story line, decent writing. There was nothing remarkably special about the book in terms of profoundness of style, or anything like that.

However, the content contained within was very interesting. Long Way Home looks at the corruption in the Chicago Police Department as well as the perception of criminal trials (everything from the role of defense attorneys to the relationship between prosecution and defense in the court system).
Shelly
This was a good book. However, audio-book was grueling to get through. The narrator (L. Caldwell) had a monotonous tone and I almost didn't finish listening to it because it was droning, I wish I would have physically read it.

This book is an insight of how the legal system was many years ago, and probably in some instances, still is today. Makes me wonder how many people are in the prison system today due to coercion.
Barbara
This book is a real life account of how biases, police misconduct and the over burdening of the criminal justice system can result in years of injustice for an innocent young man.
Jovan Moseley is a 19 year old living in one of Chicago's toughest neighbourhoods. Unlike many of his peers, Jovan has no criminal record (exceptional in his area) and has dreams of becoming a lawyer, after a high school co-op in a law office. Unfortunately. those dreams are crushed when he is arrested for murder years
Chanda
When I picked this up I didn't expect it to be a couple of lawyers doing the rescuing in a courtroom but that is exactly what it is. It took some time for me to get into the story and become invested in the outcome. Initially, I was so horrified by the act of violence committed against the innocent victim I couldn't see past that crime to those committed by the purveyors of the legal system. Finally I did move over to be a champion for Jovan and enjoyed the tale of his legal battle but I would h ...more
Jami
I listened to this on audio, which I do not recommend. The author is the narrator and this is one example of why authors don't necessarily make good narrators. Despite being close to the events, the narration was monotone. Also, it's told from the author's perspective but there were some points where she was referred to in the third person. It may be clear in printed form that the point of view had changed, but it was not clear in audio.

That being said, the story was excellent! It is an interest
Allison
The story this Laura Caldwell tells--and the fact that this story is true--is what makes Long Way Home stunning. The writing is simple and informative, but the tale is so unbelievable and so gripping, simple is the best way it could have been told. Caldwell assumes that most of her readers are unfamiliar with the legal system--an accurate assumption for the target audience of this book--and takes pains to vividly describe everything from point of arrest through interrogation and jail cell confin ...more
Craig Dube
An interesting and sad story of a young black man (Jevon Mosley) growing up in the neighborhoods outside of Chicago who gets arrested and charged as an accomplice to a murder that he didn't commit. Jevon is intimidated into wrongly confessing to being a participant (after being handcuffed to a wall for 30+ hours with no food/drink or bathroom breaks). Jevon is then thrown into the county jail where he is forced to await trial for an agonizing six years! The author (Laura Caldwell) was one of the ...more
Ritesh Pase
Long way home is a top notch book talking about a system that is rife with inefficiencies, fiefdom mentality, stereotypes and generally what is wrong with the legal system in one of the most advanced nations of the world and yet finds time and space to acquaint you with one of the more likable characters that you will encounter in real life based stories. It makes you want to believe in the power of good. It also makes you want that there be an inherent goodness in people cause without that, a l ...more
Diane
The story is very heartbreaking. A genuinely sweet African American kid is picked for taking part in a murder. In truth, Javon had walked away as soon as the violence started. At the police station, he was bullying (and tortured, not to put too fine a point on it) to admit to "throwing two punches." Two punches, the police argued, was not murder and would get Javon home. So Javon made the false admission, and spent the next five and a half years in prison - without a trial. Laura Caldwell, lawye ...more
Judy
This is a true story told with the suspense of a novel. It is the story of a young man accused of murder who waits six years before he has a trial.
Blaise
The story of this young man and what he experienced in the criminal justice system was compelling. If I have one critique it's that I don't know if the parts of the book flowed so well together. I guess the beginning just seemed a little overwhelming, a lot of police reports and details about the incident when the young man got in trouble. But I ended up getting very absorbed in it and didn't want to put it down by the end.
The little insider bits about being a criminal defense attorney and the c
Pennylope
I wrote a really long review and it didn't get saved. Long story short the general story is good, although I could have done with out the backhanded comments about PDs when the author cannot begin to imagine the emotional and psychic conditions pDs are operating under (that's putting aside the caseload constraints that she acknowledges) when she took her first ever criminal case and only was dealing with that one case.
A great look from the inside of how the legal system can break down. It's non-fiction that reads like fiction, which makes you care far more for the characters involved. I hope that some changes were made after this case to ensure that such as injustice wouldn't happen again. But given the size of the Chicago/Cook County system, I highly doubt it.
Sierra
True story about an innocent, good kid from a tough neighborhood of Chicago & how the legal system robbed him of 6 years. The author was one of his lawyers. The book explains the criminal system & explains multiple sides involved to help paint a more complete picture of how an innocent person could sign a confession.
Howvuben
Heartfelt and eye-opening because it is a true story! Terrifying, also because it is a true story. I listened to the audiobook version which I found rather monotone, but it was still an awesome story. It would be interesting to hear Jovan's story from his point of view, humanitarianism aside.
Kim
Thought this would be just a run of the mill book about a criminal trial, but it was riveting and a powerful testament to the power -- and potential abuses -- by the prosecuting system. Loved it!
Kathleen Ryan
Excellent. I will be writing a review for http://www.womenofmystery.net, where I am a member of the group blog. After that post is up, I'll come back here and add more comments.
Teri
It's a shame that the wider public did not home in on this tragic story. An insightful peek into our legal system...hope I never find myself in the wring place at the wrong time!!
Sara
This is about a kid from a bad Chicago neighborhood who confessed to a murder he didn't commit and the two women who set out to defend him in court.
Wolfie
Know your "rights" and the law cuz if you don't the law will get you like it did this young man - a true story that happens repeatedly.
Kathy
This is Laura Caldwell's first non-fiction book. It is well-written and so interesting. Hard to believe this was a true story.
Verena
this is such touching story that upon finishing this book it felt like loosing a friend.
Melinda
Awesome read! A true story that reads like a fiction!
Janice
A very sad story about prejudice and our justice system...
Corinne
4 1/2 Stars...Excellent and haunting read
Christa Haberstock
Eye-opening and heart-touching.
Maggie Sanford
Maggie Sanford marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Saving Sammy: Curing the Boy Who Caught OCD
  • Degrees of Inequality
  • Extraordinary Circumstances: The Journey of a Corporate Whistleblower
  • The Package Deal: My (not-so) Glamorous Transition from Single Gal to Instant Mom
  • One Hour in Paris: A True Story of Rape and Recovery
  • The Persistence of the Color Line: Racial Politics and the Obama Presidency
  • I Want You to Shut the F#ck Up: How the Audacity of Dopes Is Ruining America
  • American Psychosis: How the Federal Government Destroyed the Mental Illness Treatment System
  • Place, Not Race: A New Vision of Opportunity in America
  • Defending the Damned: Inside Chicago's Cook County Public Defender's Office
  • All the Presidents' Bankers: The Hidden Alliances that Drive American Power
  • Grace and Power: The Private World of the Kennedy White House
  • Tulia: Race, Cocaine, and Corruption in a Small Texas Town
  • Murder In The Yoga Store
  • Cooking Solves Everything: How Time in the Kitchen Can Save Your Health, Your Budget, and Even the Planet
  • Doc: A Memoir
  • The Lamp of the Wicked (Merrily Watkins, #5)
  • No Name in the Street
Laura Caldwell is a Chicago-based lawyer turned novelist. Her first book, Burning the Map, was selected by Barnes & Noble.com as one of The Best of 2002. Following that, A Clean Slate received a starred review from Booklist. The release of The Year of Living Famously and The Night I Got Lucky prompted Booklist to declare, “Caldwell is one of the most talented and inventive...writers around.”

La
More about Laura Caldwell...
The Year of Living Famously Burning The Map A Clean Slate Red Hot Lies (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #1) The Night I Got Lucky