Start by marking “Debt-Free Living: Eliminating Debt in a New Economy” as Want to Read:
Debt-Free Living: Eliminating Debt in a New Economy

Debt-Free Living: Eliminating Debt in a New Economy

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Credit is so easily obtained, and credit card applications flow into our mailboxes virtually every day. Many couples find themselves deeply in debt and not even sure of how they got there, let alone how they can get out of it. Larry Burkett has the solution! His bestselling book, Debt-Free Living, has been updated and modernized. Debt-Free Living has been providing poignan ...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Moody Publishers (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Debt-Free Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Debt-Free Living

Nancy Bandusky
This book explains the importance of getting out of debt and remaining debt-free - a worthy goal for us all.

With that said, my main purpose in reading it was to see if I could incorporate it into a money management course I was designing for my high schooler. I found it to be full of information on what not to do - which is perfect for the young generation just starting out. I felt the stories were realistic as to how the individuals got into trouble in the first place and the slow path back ou
Jessie
This book followed the stories of several couples and individuals who found themselves in debt. All of the reasons were preventable, though some of them were unexpected and not planned for. The book then shows the ways that these people were able to overcome their debt. This book covers financial planning, budgets, dealing with creditors, bankruptcy, and financial counselors. It also offers scriptural references to back up the advice given.
Danaye
So far, it's amazing! Three true stories of couples who made their way into debt and how, with the help of God and financial counseling, made their way out. I am learning a lot and it's a great companion to Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University!

**edit**
Book finished, and I am completely satisfied. The stories were all very inspiring - and some more than a little heart-wrenching as I either A) related with what the couples were going through or B) realized how much better off I am in my own fi
Heather
This book does offer a good Biblical stance on debt. It uses a narrative style to bring up points. It also gives a great resource of verses in the Bible that refer to personal finance. I agree with 98% of the advice in the book and I look forward to recommending it to people I counsel. It is designed for those people who are already in debt and need to know how to get out of it. The narrative style allows for the reader to identify with different stories and see how they can apply principles to ...more
Anna
meh. I give up. Haven't touched it in months. Tell your debtors they're good people and that you are also good people. They'll say "forget about it" and you'll say "I am morally bound to pay you!" and God will give you money and also make the debt go away before you pay it, but you will pay it anyway, because you are a good pious person, now that you've seen the error of your greedy ways. You should have listened to God in the first place.
Heather
I found this at the used book store and picked it up because I've heard Dave Ramsey and other financial gurus mention Larry Burkett's name. The first part of the book basically follows three couples and describes through their stories how easily one can wander into debt. It will be a great book to read again when I feel like spending without a thought, to keep me on a positive financial path.
Elisa
This book has helped me to prioritize spending and to make wise purchases, and to live on less, to get to the end goal of being debt free. I did not agree with the suggestion of using tithing money to put towards debt and then pay God back later. Otherwise it was a good read.
Lacey Mason
Was very helpful in looking at scripture about borrowing and those things. I enjoyed it... considering it was a financial book. It wasn't so much a "how to" guide as it was a "hey, it happens and it's possible to get out" type of thing. Easy read.
Kristi
Great, clear concise book - pay off your debt and don't rack up more. I recommend the Family Financial Workbook by the same author to go with this book and put it into action.
Jeff Williams
Very good book on how to manage your finances. Hard to put into practice, but still a good book!
Linda
Makes a lot of sense. Real stories. Familiar stories. Success stories.
Cory Brown
Pretty simplistic. Dave Ramsey's Biblical Money Makeover is much better.
Adrienna
Trying to get out of debt....from some of my bad habits. It was okay.
Matt
He's not Dave Ramsey, but has good insight
Gabby
This book is the best....
Koreen
Koreen marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Derrick Bernard
Derrick Bernard marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Steve
Steve added it
Jan 16, 2015
Mario Rey
Mario Rey marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Terri Fenech
Terri Fenech marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Laura Thompson
Laura Thompson marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
dot wise
dot wise marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
John Thurow
John Thurow marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Your Money Counts: The Biblical Guide to Earning, Spending, Saving, Investing, Giving, and Getting Out of Debt
  • For a Glory and a Covering: A Practical Theology of Marriage
  • A Theology of Christian Counseling: More Than Redemption
  • Everyday Talk: Talking Freely and Naturally about God with Your Children
  • Teach Them Diligently: How to Use the Scriptures in Child Training
  • Love That Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace
  • The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving (LifeChange Books)
  • Primal: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity
  • The Exemplary Husband: A Biblical Perspective
  • The Man in the Mirror: Solving the 24 Problems Men Face
  • The Feminist Mistake: The Radical Impact of Feminism on Church and Culture
  • The Mark of a Man
  • Thoughts for Young Men
  • Flying Closer to the Flame
Larry Burkett was an American author and radio personality whose work focused on financial counseling from an evangelical Christian point of view. Burkett was born the fifth of eight children. After completing high school in Winter Garden, Florida, he entered the U.S. Air Force where he served in the Strategic Air Command.

Upon completion of his military duties, Burkett and his wife Judy returned t
More about Larry Burkett...
The Illuminati Solar Flare Business by the Book: The Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace The Thor Conspiracy: The Seventy-Hour Countdown to Disaster Complete Financial Guide For Young Couples