Start by marking “Talent Is Not Enough: Business Secrets for Designers” as Want to Read:
Talent Is Not Enough: Business Secrets for Designers

Talent Is Not Enough: Business Secrets for Designers

“It is rare to find one individual with such a wide range of knowledge in the design-related fields. And, because of his experience as a designer, Shel brings a sensitivity and understanding to administrative issues while still respecting the artistic side of our industry.”
Frank Maddocks, President, Maddocks & Company

This comprehensive guide includes everything desig

Published April 22nd 2010 by New Riders Publishing (first published December 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Talent Is Not Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talent Is Not Enough

Tatiana Jimenez
Jun 10, 2010 Tatiana Jimenez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I may be a bit biased because I read this book as a required text for a class taught by the book's author, but I found this to be an incredibly helpful resource. From tax preparation to copyright infringement, Shel Perkins has a wealth of knowledge that he generously shares in this easily digestible book about how to be a successful business person in the world of creative professions. I highly recommend this book for designers. I'm sure I'll be hanging on to this text for a while.
Tim Hogan
Great foundation for small business owners in the creative field.
Doug Cheever
Dec 01, 2010 Doug Cheever rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book already has some of the great names in design giving it 5 stars, so who am I to be any different.

In short, every designer should have this book. As an AIGA member, which is a professional group for designers, and board member I can say that this is the resource for anyone planning a professional development workshop or speaker engagement for designers.

FYI, there's also a new addition as well as chapter updates on Shel's site. If you've met the man, or heard him speak you get a sense o
Shanti
Oct 16, 2008 Shanti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Freelancers, Designers, Creatives
Shelves: always-reading
This book should have been text in my design department. So many designers leave school without knowing a lick about how to run a business for themselves or even work within one. We are given the tools and guidance for space management, but few of us are advised how to make money and sustain ourselves in the industry.

Talent is Not Enough offers great advice, line after line and I highly recommend this to anyone in the creative industry who freelances or manages a small firm.
Tiffany
Dec 10, 2010 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Excellent detail and well-organized, useful information. This book is a great reference for both freelancers and small-business owners. It's thorough and thoughtful, which is always nice when one is just starting out.
Aals
AWESOME! This book helped me and is helping me restructure some things within my business! A MUST READ for freelancers, designers, CEOs, Project Managers, etc.
Sara McAllister
Good read with practical advice for designers, particularly those wanting to set up shop. As a design note, the outer margins were annoyingly wide.
Krista
Dec 02, 2009 Krista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, basic information on running a profitable creative business.
Clint Walkingstick
If you want to run a creative business, you MUST read this book.
Erik
May 11, 2008 Erik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: graphic designers
Lots of valuable information for folks who want to be freelance designers. There's always something you think you know about but don't really know. Get this book and stay out of trouble.
Patrick Stinnett
Patrick Stinnett rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Elliott Walker
Elliott Walker rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
Elaine
Elaine rated it it was ok
Dec 11, 2009
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2008
Branda
Branda rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2011
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2012
Ben Morales
Ben Morales rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2010
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Mike Thone
Mike Thone rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2012
Tim Benzinger
Tim Benzinger rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2009
Roberto
Roberto rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Natty Coleman
Natty Coleman rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2016
Wesley Rasines
Wesley Rasines rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2014
Jake Pollak
Jake Pollak rated it really liked it
May 24, 2015
Tribe Consulting
Tribe Consulting rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Janne Jääskeläinen
Janne Jääskeläinen rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
Geniusdan
Geniusdan rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Actiusluna
Actiusluna rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2014
Jessica Currie
Jessica Currie rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Santiago Salcido
Santiago Salcido rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Designer's Guide To Marketing And Pricing: How To Win Clients And What To Charge Them
  • Graphic Artist's Guild Handbook Pricing & Ethical Guidelines
  • Graphic Design: A User's Manual
  • A Designer's Research Manual: Succeed in Design by Knowing Your Clients and What They Really Need
  • Art Direction Explained, At Last!
  • How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer