Start by marking “Talent Is Not Enough: Business Secrets for Designers” as Want to Read:
Talent Is Not Enough: Business Secrets for Designers

Talent Is Not Enough: Business Secrets for Designers

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  11 reviews

“It is rare to find one individual with such a wide range of knowledge in the design-related fields. And, because of his experience as a designer, Shel brings a sensitivity and understanding to administrative issues while still respecting the artistic side of our industry.”
Frank Maddocks, President, Maddocks & Company

This comprehensive guide includes everything desig

Published April 22nd 2010 by New Riders Publishing (first published December 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Talent Is Not Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talent Is Not Enough

Tatiana Jimenez
I may be a bit biased because I read this book as a required text for a class taught by the book's author, but I found this to be an incredibly helpful resource. From tax preparation to copyright infringement, Shel Perkins has a wealth of knowledge that he generously shares in this easily digestible book about how to be a successful business person in the world of creative professions. I highly recommend this book for designers. I'm sure I'll be hanging on to this text for a while.
Tim Hogan
Great foundation for small business owners in the creative field.
Doug Cheever
This book already has some of the great names in design giving it 5 stars, so who am I to be any different.

In short, every designer should have this book. As an AIGA member, which is a professional group for designers, and board member I can say that this is the resource for anyone planning a professional development workshop or speaker engagement for designers.

FYI, there's also a new addition as well as chapter updates on Shel's site. If you've met the man, or heard him speak you get a sense o...more
Shanti
Oct 16, 2008 Shanti rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Freelancers, Designers, Creatives
Shelves: always-reading
This book should have been text in my design department. So many designers leave school without knowing a lick about how to run a business for themselves or even work within one. We are given the tools and guidance for space management, but few of us are advised how to make money and sustain ourselves in the industry.

Talent is Not Enough offers great advice, line after line and I highly recommend this to anyone in the creative industry who freelances or manages a small firm.
Tiffany
Excellent detail and well-organized, useful information. This book is a great reference for both freelancers and small-business owners. It's thorough and thoughtful, which is always nice when one is just starting out.
Erik
May 11, 2008 Erik rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: graphic designers
Lots of valuable information for folks who want to be freelance designers. There's always something you think you know about but don't really know. Get this book and stay out of trouble.
Sara McAllister
Good read with practical advice for designers, particularly those wanting to set up shop. As a design note, the outer margins were annoyingly wide.
Melissa
A great resource for freelance artists looking to go into business for themselves.
Krista
Good, basic information on running a profitable creative business.
Erika Lucivero
Great for Americans, not so much Canadians
Aals
AWESOME! This book helped me and is helping me restructure some things within my business! A MUST READ for freelancers, designers, CEOs, Project Managers, etc.
Andy Detskas
Andy Detskas marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Hks
Hks marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Smokeyletters
Smokeyletters marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Gary Amirov
Gary Amirov marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Nikki Roach
Nikki Roach is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2014
Athena (Shardbearer)
Athena (Shardbearer) marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Betsy Tuma
Betsy Tuma marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Sarah Jean
Sarah Jean marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Niki Bivona
Niki Bivona marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Talent Is Not Enough: Business Secrets for Designers, Adobe Reader Talent Is Not Enough: Business Secrets for Designers, Adobe Reader