Eyes of the Tailless Animals: Prison Memoirs of a North Korean Woman

Eyes of the Tailless Animals: Prison Memoirs of a North Korean Woman

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Published March 13th 2002 by Living Sacrifice Book Co. (first published 1999)

Babyunagi
For the most part, this is indeed a worthwhile and heart-wrenching book. It's a true horror story, in every sense of the word. Most of the book is justly spent on the author's experience and had she simply included her belief system as an organic part of the story, I wouldn't have minded. But I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to notice the old bait and switch tactic often employed by the evangelical press--hook an unsuspecting and fresh audience with a really great martyr story (as...more
Hannah
While a significant portion of the book is spent relating short histories of many individual people the author met while in North Korea's prisons, the overall book is a valuable read. It details torture methods routinely used to force prisoners to sign self-incriminating confessions to cover the misdeeds of their superiors. (None of the thousands of prisoners the author met had actually broken the law, but they had usually gotten in the way of a higher official doing so). The author documents th...more
Valarie
Though I only gave this book two stars (my usual rating for books "I'm surprised got published"), I don't want to diminish the author's experiences. The descriptions of the torture she endured at the hands of North Korean officials were haunting, and her story is a good example to illustrate how many innocent people are being tormented under Kim Jong-il's regime. Unfortunately, I am not surprised that this book was published - it is a propaganda text financed by a Christian organization dedicate...more
Erin Chase
this is a really eye opener it really touched me she was told she could leave prison to quote " They all looked up at me at once.Their eyes were glowing with heavenly light .I knew their eyes were telling me , " When you get out of prison, be a witness for us. You are not going out just to live a better life. You are going out to tell about the real hell that exists in here." They were begging me to tell about there faith and witness about alll that they were suffering .That is what their eyes r...more
Lisa
This book was difficult to read because of the brutality and horror in it, but is was worth reading and I hope I will not be the same or forget what I have read. Life is very fragile and at the same time the human body can endure unimaginable difficulties! Though this book takes place in the 1980s and 1990s, what is written is still happening today in North Korea.

I recommend this book as it will help anyone who reads it to really put their lives into perspective. I also hope that as it is read...more
Wedley Godinho
O livro é um relato verídico de uma ex-prisioneira norte coreana, que foi libertada e fugiu para a Coréia do Sul.

A autora narra com detalhes o tratamento dos prisioneiros norte-coreanos, as torturas, as humilhações sofridas.

Fala ainda sobre como são tratados os cristãos nas prisões da Coréia do Norte, como ela conheceu a Cristo e o Ministério que recebeu e vem desempenhando desde então.
Amanda
This is a powerful book. It is very graphic, it is not for the faint of heart. I didn't like it as well as "The Hiding Place" or "To Destroy you is no Loss", but her story is no less important. It is especially relevant given the two reporters in the news right now who may be sentenced to a North Korean prison for 10 years.
Alysha
Nov 10, 2008 Alysha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alysha by: A college professor
Shelves: college
This true account of a woman held captive in a work camp in North Korea is an extremely simple read. I had to read this book for one of my Asian history courses in college and although I'm not a fan of most books forced upon me in school I actually found this book interesting and horrifying.
Melissa Jill
This book is utterly heart-wrenching. One of the saddest things I've ever read. And to think that these things really go on today in North Korea. I'm so thankful for this brave woman who was able to get out to share the truth. And I pray God will work powerfully in North Korea!!
Nora Yan
Powerful and profound. It makes you face the truths of this world that others pretend do not exist. It makes you want to stand and scream and cry and love and rally.

I was given this book at a LiNK (Liberty in North Korea) event.
Join the fight: http://www.linkglobal.org
William
Yet another tale of misery, imprisonment, torture, degradation, and eventual escape from North Korea. Just as fascinating as all the others I have read. Almost hard to believe at times.
Willemf
Een erg heftig boek! De ' Aquariums van Pyongyang' is al vrij heftig, maar in dit verhaal worden de gruwelijke details nog heftiger beschreven.
La Petite Américaine
May 23, 2008 La Petite Américaine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People Who Don't Suck
Recommended to La Petite Américaine by: Amazon
Another important book on North Korea, not so much for the dangers of the country/regime, but the horrors from a human rights point of view.
Denise
Jun 13, 2013 Denise rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Denise by: Julia Lux
Tatsachenbericht über die Arbeitslager in Nordkorea. Erschreckend wie grausam dort vorgegangen wird.
Wendie
Nov 10, 2008 Wendie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Wendie by: Vera Smith
This was a very inspiring book. You will cry reading this book at times.
Nicki
Harrowing, but definitely worth reading.
Catherine
1984 for young adults.
Rich Ware
Rich Ware marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Eflee
Eflee marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Celemi Vigil
Celemi Vigil marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Leslie Brand
Leslie Brand marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Ana Maria
Ana Maria marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Liam89
Liam89 marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Name
Name marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Blake
Blake marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Austin English
Austin English marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Rebekka
Rebekka is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2014
  • North of the DMZ: Essays on Daily Life in North Korea
  • This is Paradise!: My North Korean Childhood
  • Escaping North Korea: Defiance and Hope in the World's Most Repressive Country
  • North Korea: Another Country
  • The Reluctant Communist: My Desertion, Court-Martial, and Forty-Year Imprisonment in North Korea
  • The Tears of My Soul: The True Story of a North Korean Spy
  • Escape from North Korea: The Untold Story of Asia's Underground Railroad
  • The Aquariums of Pyongyang: Ten Years in the North Korean Gulag
  • Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader: North Korea and the Kim Dynasty
  • The Cleanest Race: How North Koreans See Themselves and Why It Matters
  • The Memoirs of Lady Hyegyŏng: The Autobiographical Writings of a Crown Princess of Eighteenth-Century Korea
  • The World Is Bigger Now: An American Journalist's Release from Captivity in North Korea . . . A Remarkable Story of Faith, Family, and Forgiveness
  • Brother One Cell: An American Coming of Age in South Korea's Prisons
  • The Impossible State: North Korea, Past and Future
  • Jia
  • Pol Pot: Anatomy of a Nightmare
  • Breaking Intimidation: Say "No" Without Feeling Guilty.  Be Secure Without the Approval of Man
  • Literature from the "Axis of Evil": Writing from Iran, Iraq, North Korea, and Other Enemy Nations