Start by marking “What We Ache For: Creativity and the Unfolding of Your Soul” as Want to Read:
What We Ache For: Creativity and the Unfolding of Your Soul

What We Ache For: Creativity and the Unfolding of Your Soul

In her previous books, Oriah Mountain Dreamer has challenged readers to live with passion and honesty, to embrace the true, fallible, human self. What We Ache For is a moving and eloquent call to delve deeply into our creative selves, to do our creative work, and offer it to the world.

The creative process is essential to human nature. It is as essential as spirituality and
Published April 5th 2005 by HarperOne (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about What We Ache For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What We Ache For

Deanna Kawatski
May 18, 2009 Deanna Kawatski rated it it was amazing
I'm just sinking into this book. I like Oriah Mountain Dreamer's voice. She reminds me of the things I've already learned in my creative life, but her book has arrived when I need a nudge.
Holly Weiss
Jul 25, 2010 Holly Weiss rated it it was amazing
I salute Oriah Mountain Dreamer for getting to the root of the matter concerning self expression. Her book helped me greatly during the writing of my debut novel, CRESTMONT,published May 2010. She addresses many pitfalls and fears concerning any mode of creativity...and provides much needed encouragement.
Ki
Jun 28, 2012 Ki rated it really liked it
I'm not sure I learned all that much about creativity, or how to be creative, but this was just a beautiful and pleasant book to read. It's like walking in to an auditorium thinking you'll be hearing a lecture and then relaxing to a beautiful music concert. I enjoyed it.
Kara Emily
May 17, 2016 Kara Emily rated it it was amazing
Excellent book which blends the emotional saliency and drive to be a writer with the logical, imperative steps to actually get there and do the work. I have always struggled with setting personal writing goals and actually setting out to achieve them. If I had read this book a decade ago, it would have been 'pretty' but it wouldn't have changed much about my life. Much like anything, you get out what you put into it, and this book has absolutely altered my perceptions (positively and usefully) a ...more
Alicia
May 19, 2013 Alicia rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-stack
The author has geared her writing towards the artist more specifically the writer but the principles would hold true to any of the art forms. The tone is extremely gentle. There's no cheer-leading here just advise, tools and ideas. Pg. 142: "Assume that in the after life you will be allowed to keep one memory from this life and to live forever within it. Which memory would you choose?" Pg. 159: "Remember, there is one word you are here to say with your whole being.When it finds you, give your li ...more
Noelle Juday
Jan 25, 2015 Noelle Juday rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone pursuing a life of creativity or authentic expression.
Nathalie Himmelrich
Sep 12, 2014 Nathalie Himmelrich rated it really liked it
Not just a pretty cover... :-)
Anokina
Nov 04, 2014 Anokina rated it it was amazing
I love anything by Oriah
Yaaresse
May 09, 2016 Yaaresse rated it did not like it
Am I the only person who will admit to finding this a bunch of insufferable, fluffy-fluffy, saccharine wanabe-woowoo? It's like being force-fed a mountain of cotton candy, the bright pink kind with the neon colors-not-found-in-nature rainbow sparkles that makes your teeth ache.
Debbie Hoskins
This is pretty good. I actually bought it because it received a good review in Booklist, I think. It's a little new agey, but it is very good and very helpful. I used her thoughts in one of my fine art drawings.
Jennifer Holik
Feb 08, 2015 Jennifer Holik rated it it was amazing
This is a book I read - start and stop - as my soul needs a lift or push to move in a new creative direction. The book can be read at one time or in spurts. It always has something new to give the reader.
Ratforce
Oriah Mountain Dreamer is another author that anyone interested in spirituality and creativity, and how they affect each other, should know. A good place to start is What We Ache For , her most recent title.
Carly Svamvour
Feb 22, 2011 Carly Svamvour rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, a great read with a lot of great philosophy and writing advice.

I didn't finish it though - there was nothing there I hadn't read before. I like her other books better.

Meg
Oct 29, 2007 Meg rated it it was amazing
i think you need to be in a certain headspace to really digest What We Ache For, but i think the angle and the execution of the piece is breathtaking.
ShaRose
Oct 17, 2013 ShaRose rated it it was amazing
All Oriah's books reach in deep to the soul. She is a gifted, insightful and poetic writer. I've read many of her books.
Paulette
Sep 08, 2010 Paulette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book about creativity! Practical advice for creative people.
Marion
Jan 20, 2013 Marion rated it it was amazing
Tremendous resource for reflection and exercising your creative muscle!
MountainShelby
Jul 23, 2012 MountainShelby rated it really liked it
To date, the absolute best book I've read on the creative process.
Librarylover
Librarylover marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Virginia
Virginia marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Brittney Jasmin
Brittney Jasmin marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Usha
Usha marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Leslie Matheus-osborne
Leslie Matheus-osborne marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Darcy
Darcy marked it as to-read
Grete
Grete marked it as to-read
Emerald Stacy
Emerald Stacy marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
  • Mastering Creative Anxiety: 24 Lessons for Writers, Painters, Musicians, and Actors from America's Foremost Creativity Coach
  • Lap Dancing for Mommy: Tender Stories of Disgust, Blame and Inspiration
  • The Simple Abundance Companion: Following Your Authentic Path to Something More
  • Scribbling in the Sand
  • Expressive Photography: The Shutter Sisters' Guide to Shooting from the Heart
  • The Zen of Creativity: Cultivating Your Artistic Life
  • All Saints: Daily Reflections on Saints, Prophets, & Witnesses for Our Time
  • The Creative Fire: Myths and Stories on the Cycles of Creativity
Oriah is first and foremost a story-teller, a lover of words and symbols and the stories that lift our spirits, open our hearts and offer us ways to see patterns and create meaning in our lives. The focus of her life and work has been an on-going inquiry into the Sacred Mystery. Her writing, teaching and personal journey all explore how we can each become the individual we are at the deepest level ...more
More about Oriah Mountain Dreamer...