Start by marking “Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel: How to Knock 'em Dead with Style” as Want to Read:
Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel: How to Knock 'em Dead with Style

Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel: How to Knock 'em Dead with Style

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Solve the MYSTERY of how to write and sell a KILLER story! With the help of interactive exercises, mystery author and crime fiction critic Hallie Ephron gives you the momentum you need to turn a kernel of an idea into an intriguing mystery novel. You'll learn to capitalize on your writing strengths and shore up your weaknesses.

This comprehensive guide covers every aspect o
Published December 1st 2008 by Writer's Digest Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel

I like reading how-to books, although I don’t read them voraciously. After listening to journalist and mystery author Hallie Ephron give a workshop on point of view three years ago, I bought a copy of her book, Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel. I prefer to read these books while working on a new novel and this was the perfect opportunity.

I’m writing my sixth mystery and was amazed by the amount of useful information Ephron provides, including the all-important editing and selling component
Mar 22, 2008 Sarai rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers, new writers
Recommended to Sarai by: Amazon
Shelves: howto-research, own
This is an EXCELLENT reference source for mystery writers. I would go so far to say that any writer that incorporates a myster in their story should look at this book. Not only does it walk you through questions to ask and plot twist. But it also gives you a blueprint of the basics. I plan to use this blueprint for all stories not just mystery based ones. If every genre had a how to book like this it would make my life a whole lot easier.
J.F. Duncan
I couldn't be without this book. My copy is up on the 'Pride of Place' shelf of my library, tattered, broken spined, ink spattered and well-thumbed and whenever I feel afraid, it provides comfort and reassurance! Hallie Ephron gives sensible, realistic, astute advice with good humour and the wisdom of experience. Her section on re-drafting is particularly excellent. I've read a lot of books about writing crime novels and, out of them all, this is the one that really works for me!
Excellent road map for producing a sound and polished mystery! One of two books I certainly hope to acknowledge should I be persistent and lucky enough to be published. It will remain on my go-to bookshelf for continued guidance!
S.E. Shurtleff
This is a great nuts and bolts book. Plus, just reading it has helped me figure out some of my plot problems in my middle grade WIP. Wa-hoo!

This book is right up there with Carolyn Wheat's "How to Write Killer Fiction."
Book Highlights:

Basics Covered- This book does a great job discussing the basics of writing a mystery novel. I feel like a lot of the information could be useful for writing a novel in general, not just a mystery. However, the book is especially great at introducing the mystery novel for those new to the genre.

Great Reading Suggestions- My favorite part of the book was the many references to well written and successful mystery novels. In one of the early chapters there is a whole list of no
Lee Thompson
A great how-to book that hits some broad topics in writing and selling Mysteries. It also features a lot of writing exercises and examples that are fun and interesting.
It's a must-read for anyone who wants to take on writing a mystery novel. Loved it.
Tori Montes
This book is great as a tool for writers. As a person I learn from examples and there are plenty here. I especially love the example by Robert Parker and his character Spencer. I loved the way Parker introduces Spencer with the dialog and give his attitude to us on the first page.
Donna Glaser
Loved it! I still use it as a refernce.
Elizabeth Esse
A great writing resource, no matter the genre.
Eric marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Anne is currently reading it
Sep 27, 2015
Angelia marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Louise marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Kathy Stroud
Kathy Stroud marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Paula marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Hay marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Pushpa is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2015
Angie is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2015
Terry marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Ahamed marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Amanda Gee
Amanda Gee marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • How to Write Killer Fiction: The Funhouse of Mystery & the Roller Coaster of Suspense
  • Police Procedure & Investigation: A Guide for Writers
  • How to Write a Damn Good Mystery: A Practical Step-by-Step Guide from Inspiration to Finished Manuscript
  • Don't Murder Your Mystery: 24 Fiction-Writing Techniques to Save Your Manuscript from Turning Up D.O.A.
  • Writing Mysteries
  • Forensics: A Guide for Writers
  • Bullies, Bastards & Bitches: How to Write the Bad Guys of Fiction
  • Writing the Novel: From Plot to Print
  • First Draft in 30 Days: A Novel Writer's System for Building a Complete and Cohesive Manuscript
  • The Joy of Writing Sex: A Guide for Fiction Writers
  • The Weekend Novelist
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • How to Write a Dirty Story: Reading, Writing, and Publishing Erotica
  • Body Trauma: A Writer's Guide to Wounds and Injuries
  • Book of Poisons: A Guide for Writers
  • Writing the Paranormal Novel: Techniques and Exercises for Weaving Supernatural Elements Into Your Story.
  • Description & Setting
Hallie Ephron ( is the author of suspense novels. Her last three have all been Mary Higgins Clark Award finalists.

Her newest, There Was an Old Woman is set in the Bronx. In it, a young woman and a very old woman connect across generations in spite of, or perhaps because, they are not related. Tess Gerritsen on TWAOL: “Superb suspense and unforgettable characters!” Washingt

More about Hallie Ephron...
Never Tell a Lie There Was an Old Woman 1001 Books for Every Mood Night Night, Sleep Tight Come and Find Me