Start by marking “Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel: How to Knock 'em Dead with Style” as Want to Read:
Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel: How to Knock 'em Dead with Style

Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel: How to Knock 'em Dead with Style

Solve the MYSTERY of how to write and sell a KILLER story!

With the help of interactive exercises, mystery author and crime fiction critic Hallie Ephron gives you the momentum you need to turn a kernel of an idea into an intriguing mystery novel. You'll learn to capitalize on your writing strengths and shore up your weaknesses.

This comprehensive guide covers every aspect of
Published January 13th 2015 by Writer's Digest Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel

Balle  Millner (Blogger, Freelance Writer, Aspiring Autho
“Do you promise that your detectives shall well and truely detect the crimes presented to them, using those wits which it may please you to bestow upon them and not placing reliance on Divine Revelation, Feminine Intuition, Mumbo-Jumbo, Jiggery-Pokery, Coincidence, or the Act of God?”
-Membership Oath of the Detection Club, formed in 1930 by Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers and other mystery writers.

Click below for my review.

Debra
Oct 05, 2010 Debra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I like reading how-to books, although I don’t read them voraciously. After listening to journalist and mystery author Hallie Ephron give a workshop on point of view three years ago, I bought a copy of her book, Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel. I prefer to read these books while working on a new novel and this was the perfect opportunity.

I’m writing my sixth mystery and was amazed by the amount of useful information Ephron provides, including the all-important editing and selling component
Sarai
Feb 07, 2008 Sarai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers, new writers
Recommended to Sarai by: Amazon
Shelves: howto-research, own
This is an EXCELLENT reference source for mystery writers. I would go so far to say that any writer that incorporates a myster in their story should look at this book. Not only does it walk you through questions to ask and plot twist. But it also gives you a blueprint of the basics. I plan to use this blueprint for all stories not just mystery based ones. If every genre had a how to book like this it would make my life a whole lot easier.
Chris Bauer
Jul 16, 2017 Chris Bauer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exceptionally useful book for authors of ALL genres. This work was recommended to me by an award winning mystery writer as a means to start exploring the mystery genre and I'm grateful she did.

Hallie Ephron provides a factual, straightforward perspective of the WORK behind crafting a good mystery novel. As an established author in other genres, I'll admit I was fascinated by both the similarities and differences in the work.

The organization and construction of the book is just perfect, IMHO. St
J.F. Duncan
Jun 10, 2013 J.F. Duncan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pride-of-place
I couldn't be without this book. My copy is up on the 'Pride of Place' shelf of my library, tattered, broken spined, ink spattered and well-thumbed and whenever I feel afraid, it provides comfort and reassurance! Hallie Ephron gives sensible, realistic, astute advice with good humour and the wisdom of experience. Her section on re-drafting is particularly excellent. I've read a lot of books about writing crime novels and, out of them all, this is the one that really works for me!
Lindah
May 25, 2013 Lindah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Excellent road map for producing a sound and polished mystery! One of two books I certainly hope to acknowledge should I be persistent and lucky enough to be published. It will remain on my go-to bookshelf for continued guidance!
S.E. Shurtleff
Jun 14, 2010 S.E. Shurtleff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great nuts and bolts book. Plus, just reading it has helped me figure out some of my plot problems in my middle grade WIP. Wa-hoo!

This book is right up there with Carolyn Wheat's "How to Write Killer Fiction."
Lee Thompson
Jan 14, 2012 Lee Thompson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great how-to book that hits some broad topics in writing and selling Mysteries. It also features a lot of writing exercises and examples that are fun and interesting.
Emery
Jan 15, 2016 Emery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One word describes this book: excellent.
Deanna
Jun 17, 2013 Deanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a must-read for anyone who wants to take on writing a mystery novel. Loved it.
Gehayi
Most of it was...okay, a typical how-to book on writing written by someone who rigorously plans everything with multiple character sheets, an outline, a synopsis, a plot summary and graphs. I have tried this in the past, and I know from experience that while this method works for many people, it does not work for me; in fact, it kills the story dead for me. Once I know the entire story, I don't have to tell it to myself. So I don't.

Unfortunately, while Ephron paid lip service to people who don'
Tim Suddeth
Jun 14, 2017 Tim Suddeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE this book. Does a good job of explaining how to develop your plot. Will keep nearby as for reference.
Raluca
Pros: Really good at explaining what makes a mystery novel differ from books of other genres and how to keep the suspense flowing.
The little snippets from well known mystery novels help a lot in bringing the points across.

Cons: A bit formulaic at times.
Somewhat outdated when it comes to recommending how to do/use research.
The references at the back are quite useless if you plan to publish outside USA or self-publish/only publish in an online format.
Amy
Aug 17, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Book Highlights:

Basics Covered- This book does a great job discussing the basics of writing a mystery novel. I feel like a lot of the information could be useful for writing a novel in general, not just a mystery. However, the book is especially great at introducing the mystery novel for those new to the genre.

Great Reading Suggestions- My favorite part of the book was the many references to well written and successful mystery novels. In one of the early chapters there is a whole list of no
Nanci Pattenden
Oct 27, 2015 Nanci Pattenden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful resource regardless of the genre you write in. Yes, some chapters are mostly for mysteries, but a very large portion of the book is general. There are chapters on POV, story line, editing, planning, revising, and selling. Each chapter starts with a quote from a famous author and there are lots of examples pulled from works of fiction.

She talks about how to end one chapter and start the next. Do you use a cliff hanger or not? She covers that. Hallie also goes over characters, from namin
Misha Jordan
Mar 12, 2016 Misha Jordan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had just finished my manuscript and was taking a break while test readers had it when I bought this book. I felt the information contained in it was so valuable, I'm going back to tweak my own book with some of the suggestions. I re-contacted a test reader afterwards with a sample chapter of rewrite and the response was overwhelmingly positive. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in writing Mysteries or Thrillers.
Tori Montes
Jun 09, 2014 Tori Montes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great as a tool for writers. As a person I learn from examples and there are plenty here. I especially love the example by Robert Parker and his character Spencer. I loved the way Parker introduces Spencer with the dialog and give his attitude to us on the first page.
Michelle
May 27, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much more practical and comprehensive than "Writing a damn good mystery" by Frey. I especially liked the advice on false suspects and giving them secrets that either cast suspicion on them or remove suspicion from them. The selling part looks very dated but the writing part is fine.
Donna Glaser
Mar 31, 2011 Donna Glaser rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! I still use it as a refernce.
Elizabeth Esse
Aug 23, 2008 Elizabeth Esse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great writing resource, no matter the genre.
R. Brooks
Apr 01, 2016 R. Brooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking to pen a mystery this is one of the best books to assist you.
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2010
Rafael
Rafael rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2017
Zachary
Zachary rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2013
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2011
Judy Mitchell
Judy Mitchell rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2017
Pam McCray
Pam McCray rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2015
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2013
Zack B.
Zack B. rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2009
Anne
Anne rated it it was ok
May 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Police Procedure & Investigation: A Guide for Writers
  • How to Write Killer Fiction
  • How to Write a Damn Good Mystery: A Practical Step-by-Step Guide from Inspiration to Finished Manuscript
  • Don't Murder Your Mystery: 24 Fiction-Writing Techniques to Save Your Manuscript from Turning Up D.O.A.
  • Writing Mysteries
  • Forensics: A Guide for Writers
  • Bullies, Bastards & Bitches: How to Write the Bad Guys of Fiction
  • The Weekend Novelist
  • Writing the Novel: From Plot to Print
  • The Joy of Writing Sex: A Guide for Fiction Writers
  • Writing the Paranormal Novel: Techniques and Exercises for Weaving Supernatural Elements Into Your Story.
  • First Draft in 30 Days: A Novel Writer's System for Building a Complete and Cohesive Manuscript
  • How to Write a Dirty Story: Reading, Writing, and Publishing Erotica
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Dramatic Situations and Compelling Characters
  • 101 Habits of Highly Successful Novelists: Insider Secrets from Top Writers
  • The Nighttime Novelist: Finish Your Novel in Your Spare Time
  • What Would Your Character Do?: Personality Quizzes for Analyzing Your Characters
Hallie Ephron (http://hallieephron.com) is the author of suspense novels. Her last three have all been Mary Higgins Clark Award finalists.

Her newest, There Was an Old Woman is set in the Bronx. In it, a young woman and a very old woman connect across generations in spite of, or perhaps because, they are not related. Tess Gerritsen on TWAOL: “Superb suspense and unforgettable characters!” Washingt

More about Hallie Ephron...