Shark Wars (Shark Wars, #1)

Shark Wars (Shark Wars #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Since the dawn of time, prehistoric shark clans called Shivers have ruled over the earth's oceans, fierce protectors of all who swim. For eons, the Big Blue has prospered under Shiver Law, and the delicate balance of sea life kept sacred. Until now.

Rising sea temperatures and overfishing have caused food to become scarce, and the battle for new hunting grounds has brought...more
Published June 28th 2011 by Razorbill (first published 2011)

Caleb
A message from my son:
Dear EJ,
I think you should make alot of these books. My favorite characters were Gray and Snork. I think people who gave it only a few stars are crazy. They don't know what kids like. It was an amazing book. I love the fights, and the ending.
Sincerely,
Caleb
Jackie
Gray, a reef shark, having been banned from his shiver (clan) for disobeying the orders of his mother and his leader, finds a refuge of sorts in Goblin shiver. Little does he know, at first, that treachery and evil are lurking in this wayward shiver until it is almost too late. Only after realizing the mistakes that he has made will result in hopelessness, chaos, and death, does he reunite with his old friends of Coral Shiver and banish those evil-doers...as he hopes to reunite with his mother....more
Susan
So...applause for the eco-friendly message and conservation biology stuff, but the writing is average and I kind of despise the protagonist who, in the part that I read, is whiny, insecure, and childish. Granted this is a book for children, but shouldn't we be giving them better examples than a boy-shark whose personality reminds me of playground bullies and who broke a law for the sake of a snack? Possibly the author wants to make the protagonist easy to relate to, in which case I hope that the...more
Chris
A popular, athletic, impulsive young teen from a small town fights against the rules and constraints his elders place upon him. He's ready to adventure and see the larger world he hears so much about--and that he doesn't hear much about, since he feels too sheltered and much is kept secret from the young in an effort to protect them. He's always getting in trouble for pushing the boundaries and not paying attention in school.

Then, one day, his selfish rebelliousness goes too far, endangering oth...more
Bianca Singh
Shark Wars is about this pup named Gray and his friend Barkley. Gray is a pup but his VERY big for his own age. Mind of a kid, body of a full grown shark. You see, Gray can't stop growing, and when his hunger gets him into trouble, he's banished from the reef. His best friend Barkley comes with him... but their hunt for food forces them to journey deep into the Big Blue. Then Gray and Barkley accidentally swim into Goblin Shiver territory. They have no choice but to join the shiver. They'll help...more
Kristin
very cute kids book. Perfect for 3/4th grade. Great lessons about friendship and doing the right thing.
Joshua
Feb 16, 2012 Joshua added it
great idea, execution corny.
Stephen Shunk
This book is awesome! It is about sharks fighting other sharks and they have gangs called shivers. The main character is a megalodon shark called Gray.
There are 2 gangs called Goblin Shiver and Razor shiver. They are both fighting each other. Gray gets kicked out of his old shiver because he kept going out of his home waters so he got banned. He finds 4 friends and with his old friend Barkley who is a dogfish. It's really exciting because it's like the streets of New York City with street gangs...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This is a great action packed, under water adventure that centers around sharks. If you have ever wondered what really goes on a in sharks world, than Shark Wars will have your answer.

Gray is a typical reef shark, or so he thought. He and his friends live with the Coral Shiver, a clan of sharks, but when Gray is banned for not following rules, he finds himself in the middle of a large ocean that's full of excitement and danger. Things change for Gray when he's is taken in by the Goblin Shiver,...more
J.N.
I got this book for my sister because she loves sharks. Since I do as well, I decided to give it a read, well knowing that it was way below my reading level (hers as well, but not AS low). Anyways.

Shark Wars is about a reef shark named Gray who is banned from his shiver (also called a clan) for disobeying not only his mother, but also his shiver. His best friend, a dogfish named Barkley, goes with him. He finds a group of other sharks and befriends them. They become a shiver for a short period u...more
Christian
Well this book had a lof of adventure and fighting but through all it was good enough. Gray a young megladon and his friend barkley a dog fish get into trouble when their hunger gets to the best of them while they are searching for food they met a group of friends up ahead. Their names were Striker, Mari, Shell, and Snork. Once they met they have entered Goblin shiver. Gray is struggling to find his mother. But he teams up with Goblin shiver and his friends try to get him out. Meanwhile Striker...more
Aug 17, 2011 Sarah rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: grades 4-6
Shelves: animal-fiction, audio
In ancient times, Gray is a young shark who is part of Coral Shiver (a clan). Because Gray is such a huge shark for his age, he often sneaks off to find more food when he's not supposed to, putting his shiver in danger--and this eventually leads him to be exiled. Luckily, his best friend Barkley (who's a dogfish) sticks with him, and together they try to find a new shiver to join.

The two of them soon find a small group of sharks and they decide to form their own new shiver--calling themselves Ro...more
Lyndsay
I was pleasantly surprised when I read this. I won it through Firstreads and I was expecting a warriors cat experience, except with sharks, but it was better than that. I actually found myself wanting to know what might happen next and I liked the development of the shivers of sharks. Because it was a middle grade book, it is an easy read, and a bit cheesy at that, but still enjoyable. It was an ARC, so there were some mistakes obviously. At first I thought he was trying to make up a shark langu...more
Mary
I have a published copy of Shark Wars and the printing errors I see mentioned in other reviews are almost completely fixed. I think I saw two in the entire book.

This would be only a three star book if I was rating it solely on my experience but I gave this book to my nephew(age 10)and he really enjoyed it. I think any middle grader who enjoys animals or stories about the ocean would appreciate this book. There are some predicable and cheesy moments but I'm much more aware of them than a child w...more
Matthew Quinones
Shark Wars was a good read that I could relate to. The main character Gray is a shark who is a young shark who has a big appetite. Everyone in his village thinks of him as a trouble maker because his appetite sometimes gets the better of him and he hunts outside of the village, which is forbidden. One day he he hunts outside of the village and Atlas, the leader of the village puts him on trial and banishes Gray from the village. I can sometimes relate to Gray because sometime I do things that I...more
Mari Anne
Aidan and I read this one together.... one chapter at a time! It's somewhat of an advanced book for a six year old (probably more appropriate for GR 3 - 6) but it was all about sharks so he loved it. This book (part of a new series) is all about shark "shivers", groups of sharks that roam the ocean and fight each other for territory and power. This is the perfect book, especially for boys, and anyone who likes to read about animals, at least those of the anthropomorphic kind! I think the biggest...more
Abel A
Gray is the biggest shark in his "clan" and he follows a crab for lunch, but that was a bad idea. He follows it so far that he goes to an area where his mom does not want him to go. That is also Goblil's territory. Gray's mom see's him and takes him to a place like a court house. Now he is banished from the Coral Shiver. Not only that but Goblin wants to eat Gray. WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT???

I think this book teaches kids to always listen to their parents or you could end up in a lot of trouble.

I...more
Brynn
Mar 30, 2013 Brynn rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: NO ONE
Shelves: least-favorites
SHARK WARS is stupid, and nothing special. The main character is average, weak, and for lack of better word-lame. And the guy's writting about a SHARK! He lives in the ocean. In my experience, it's less confusing to read a book about humans (or land animals) because of all the made-up terms like "Greenie".
Also,the book was not very compelling and the only decent character-Takiza-made the story even cheesier. SPOILER ALERT!!!!I mean really? A magic fish? I love fantasy, but this guy needs to get...more
Charles Lor
This book is very interesting because it is written in a first person view, and it is a story about sharks. The main character is named Grey and he is very mischievous. In this story he gets lost and joins a clan of fighting sharks. My favorite character is Grey because i like how foolish and does unexpected things.
Robert
Mar 31, 2013 Robert added it
Book Review: I nelieve that this was a great book. As a whole iI learmed a lot more about the creatures of the sea and what many of them have to do to survive. In the beginning Gray and Barkley had to depart from their family's do to a shark attack that was unknown by their region. Groups of sharks are called squadrons. I really enjoyed this book and I am now on kingdom of the deep.

Plot Summary: The turning point in this story is when Gray and his friend Barkley meet up with 4 or 5 othe
Garrett W.
THis book was very "interesting". I did not really think that this book would be as boring as it was, but there were some good scenes. I think that the Author has room for improvement in a sequel
Adrienne
Honestly? I hated this book. It's getting 2 stars only because my 7-year-old LOVED it. Unfortunately, he's not quite a strong enough reader just yet to have managed it on his own, so it was our bedtime story book for several weeks. I usually like kids books, but this one? Notsomuch. I get why it's popular with boys my son's age, but it has pretty much no redeeming qualities for my own demographic.

The things we do for our children...
Beka
Apr 02, 2012 Beka rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Mary Pickrahn
Very amusing. A sharks exploits in the undersea world filled with strife, fear, and hope. Well written, flows well with few confusing points. Is readable and the characters are suited for a wide range of ages. I personally prefer a more intelligent protagonist though. And a few events were a stretch, but excusable. Good use of diction and dialogue. Made this book funny and enjoyable.
Rjgolden
This is a story about survival, changes in life, and being able to "roll with the punches" of difficult issues in life. An universal theme connected through tales about sharks, which in turn attracts a younger crowd (2nd grade). Probably a challenging read for 2 graders but with sharks being a popular topic right now, kids will still love it.
Terri Floccare
Not as and as I expected! Kind of wish I had read it during shark week though...It's a story about young sharks that come together and form a shiver. Some of the ways the author played with language was very clever, but it did get old after a while. The boys at my school will like this book.
Mandy
Summary:
Gray is a growing shark that gets banished from his home because he put his hungry stomach before the safety of his family and friends. As he searches for a new group or shiver to join, he becomes entangled in a shark war over territory and leadership.
Emalick Malick
My son (5th grade) LOVES the story behind this book! The main character may be unusually large Grey Reef Shark or a prehistoric survivor - a mystery. Too bad the sequel does not arrive until the Fall.
Miss Megan
My 8 y/o has a major obsession with sharks, and this one didn't disappoint him. It seems we are on to book 2 in the series! It is a bit above-level for early elementary. I would suggest it for 3-5th grades.
Carol
I received this book from Goodreads First Reads. I actually did not read it gave it to a 12 year old neighbor's son to read. In his words, " It was a pretty cool story" Giving it a thumbs up.

Debbie McNeil
If only! Great idea but its reading level is way above the audience it would draw and no 4th or 5th grader would want to be seen with a book with that cover art.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Lulu Dark and the Summer of the Fox
  • Four Secrets
  • Return of the Vampire (Creepella von Cacklefur #4)
  • 3 Below (Floors, #2)
  • Search for the Lost Kingdom (Eldohr Adventures, #1)
  • Taurus Eyes (Star Crossed, #2)
  • Dragon (Five Ancestors, #7)
  • Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade
  • Dark Mage (Avalon: Web of Magic, #11)
  • Wonkenstein
  • Nowhere to Run (The 39 Clues: Unstoppable, #1)
  • Attack Of The Tyrannosaurus (Dinosaur Cove, #1)
  • The Battle Begins (Underworlds, #1)
  • Henry and Mudge Get the Cold Shivers (Henry and Mudge, #7)
  • The Obsidian Dagger: Being the Further Extraordinary Adventures of Horatio Lyle (Horatio Lyle, #2)
  • Always October
  • Puppy in a Puddle (Animal Ark, #28)
  • The Secret to Lying
The Battle of Riptide (Sharks Wars, #2) Into the Abyss (Shark Wars #3) Kingdom of the Deep (Shark Wars, #4) Shark Wars #5: Enemy of Oceans Shark Wars #6: The Last Emprex