Quick, Slow, Mango!

Quick, Slow, Mango! (Kidogo)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The star of Anik McGrory's critically acclaimed Kidogo returns in a stand-alone story about delicious mangoes, silly monkeys, and taking one's own sweet time. Baby elephant Kidogo is off with his Mama to find breakfast. Kidogo loves to take his time, and wants to do everything slowly, slowly-even though Mama wants to move quickly. Meanwhile, up in the trees, a mischievous...more
Published January 4th 2011 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Quick, Slow, Mango!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quick, Slow, Mango!

Barbara
A monkey always in a hurry, PolePole accidentally knocks several mangoes and herself into the river while Kidogo, an elephant who enjoys taking the leisurely way through life, happens by. While PolePole struggles frantically to obtain one of the fruits, Kidogo simply plants himself at a spot in the river, grabs a stick, and waits for the mangoes to come to him. When their respective mamas find them, PolePole and Kidogo have become new friends, and Kidogo's mother must admit that sometimes taking...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Quick, Slow, Mango! is about friendship, as Pole Pole the monkey and Kidogo the elephant meet up in a most unexpected way. PolePole is always in a hurry and Kidogo enjoys taking his time and together these two friends learn that sometimes it's okay to go slow and sometimes it's okay to be fast.

The fun, bright illustrations really add a lot to this fun story! I think it's one that toddlers and early elementary school aged kids will enjoy.
Katieb (MundieMoms)

Dolly
May 16, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2013, childrens, africa
I get frustrated when I happen upon a sequel to a book without any knowledge of the first book. Often, as I read the book, I feel like something is missing and I don't understand why until I discover that I've missed a whole previous book. That was very much the case with this tale.

The narrative is repetitive and engaging and the watercolor illustrations are terrific - the young animals are so adorable. But I just realized as I'm writing this now that 1. There was an earlier book, Kidogo, and 2...more
Erin
Kidogo, the baby elephant, keeps doing things more slowly than his mama would like. PolePole, the baby monkey, keeps doing things more quickly than her mama would like. They find out together that sometimes being slow is a good thing and sometimes being fast is, too.

Good for preschool or toddler storytimes.
Shelli
I enjoy stories like this. Two very different spirited creatures come together and teach the other one of life's most beautiful lessons. Sometimes you can't snail poke your way through life but you also have to stop and smell the flowers from time to time as well. Beautiful simple illustrations and lovable characters will guaranty young and old readers alike will enjoy.
Cute story about friendship and hurrying up and slowing down, it sort of reminds me of Hurry up and slow down. It would make an interesting storytime theme. It isn't as rhymey as the title implies, but is a quieter read. Preschool and up.
Elisabeth
I think my favorite part about this book is when I read it to my 3 year old he jumps off my lap and will walk either slowly or quickly depending on what I just read.
Melissa
LOVE these illustrations; expressive, playful, but still clearly realistic. The two story threads come together so nicely.
Donalyn
A young elephant, who lingers at the watering hole, discovers a new friend in a little monkey who is always in a hurry.
Lucia
Maybe I should try reading it again at another time. The text didn't seem to flow properly. . . .
Kendra
Very cute story. Too long for storytime, but would be great for one on one reading.
Edward Sullivan
Fun, appealing friendship story.
Mary Lee
Sweet story about slow vs fast.
Kyra
beautiful pics
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Nancy Mullin
Nancy Mullin marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Monsieur Mango Tango
Monsieur Mango Tango marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Anik loves to travel and live in different parts of the world. Right now she's living in Tarrytown, NY.

Among other places, she's lived in Paris and Uganda. And has most recently lived in London in a wonderful little village neighborhood called Hampstead. Her favorite part of living in London was her walks in nearby Hampstead Heath with her husband, Glenn, her little boy, Noel, her baby daughter, S...more
More about Anik McGrory...
Kidogo Desmond and the Naughtybugs You See a Circus, I See# Amazing Monty Magical Monty