Start by marking “Fortytude : making the next decades the best years of your life-- through the 40s, 50s, and beyond” as Want to Read:

3.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  168 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
In the book, I’ll explore these five Core Values in depth, and share the stories of the remarkable women who most embody them. These are women who have chosen to greet life’s challenges with fortitude instead of fear. They have overcome adversity, danced through life’s unpredictable turns, and found confidence, joy, and peace along the way. They are my inspiration, and I h ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Hyperion Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fortytude , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fortytude

Melissa
May 12, 2011 Melissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished
Some interesting observations by Ms. Brokaw who is not yet 40 but as a therapist treats many women who are older than she. I think it tries to cover too much too shallowly.
Kristal Cooper
Feb 03, 2012 Kristal Cooper rated it really liked it
Sarah Brokaw uses her 10 years of exerience as a therapist to help talk women who are turning "The Big Four-Oh" down from the ledge. Apparently, this landmark age causes most women to question their choices, to give up on their dreams, and to fear the reaper. In this book, Brokaw systematically identifies each hang-up and then explains why they're unfounded, gives mental exercises to help you get past them, and then backs it up with a profile of a woman who had a similar break-through.

It seems l
Renee
May 18, 2011 Renee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh.
Jeehye
Jun 21, 2014 Jeehye rated it liked it
Going into 40s means something for most of women, starting to worry about their status, achievements, no-turning-back aging, biological clocking ticking etc, and this book, although some what over-generalization with a few anecdotes, provided some words of advice and a sense of comfort that getting old isnt such a bad idea but can be a chance of lifetime depending on how you see and capitalize on it. This book can easily be skimmed thru, doesnt need a perusal thought process.
Erica
Sep 17, 2012 Erica rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
I was not terribly impressed with this. My mom heard her interviewed on television and told me about it. I thought it had potential. Not so much. My main issues with the book are very specific. First, although she makes mention of women who choose not to have children, or have made peace with the reality that as much isn't in the cards, she tends to pay them short shrift. Then there is the economic issue -- many of the women she profiles obviously have the financial means to change the direction ...more
~mad
Apr 20, 2011 ~mad rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any of my young female friends or even their mothers
Recommended to ~mad by: no one
Shelves: booksiveread
I bought this book because I was interested in what the daughter of a great writer like Tom Brokaw had to say. She is s therapist in California and injects information and experiences that she herself has had. Fortytude is realizing that while you can' control what happens to you, you CAN control yor reactions to life's events.

The fact that I read this book in a day and overnight while trying to recuperate from a lousy fall and resultant bruises and stitiches is a testament to how engrossing the
Christy
Feb 29, 2016 Christy rated it did not like it
OK, I only gave it 2 chapters, but PLEASE! Tell me something new - something I don't know. Most women are petrified to turn 40? No one I know. Magazines give us an unattainable body/beauty image to strive for? Really? Never heard THAT before.
Maybe she's a good therapist, but I think she's counting on that famous name to cash in.
Itasca Community Library
Tuki says:

Sarah Brokaw had interesting points in the book that women of all ages can benefit from knowing and being aware. The added bonus of the book is that Sarah Brokaw writes in a very candid manner about the closeness and solidarity of the Brokaw family.
Elizabeth
Jul 03, 2011 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
My mom brought this home after hearing Sarah Brokaw speak at a convention. Since I'm liable to read anything lying around the house, I picked it up and read it in about a weekend. It's self-help, obviously, and a little bit preachy at times, but overall I found it a quick, inspiring read. I could relate to several of the women Brokaw profiled in her book -- even though, at 27, I am not quite the target audience (but to paraphrase Meg Ryan's character said in When Harry Met Sally, I'm going to be ...more
Penny Ramirez
Apr 20, 2011 Penny Ramirez rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I got some good affirmations out of this book, but frankly, I skimmed the last 3rd because it held less of interest for me.

I liked the transformation of midlife crisis to "sparkling moment" - what a great way to think about it!

And the final quote I took - paraphrased, since I no longer have the book in my possession - you can't change what has happened to you, but you can change your narrative (my emphasis). Very powerful.

A timely book for me. (Even though I've been in my forties for
Kari
Feb 16, 2015 Kari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
OK, so it only took me two years to read this book, gifted to me on my 40th birthday to help celebrate entering the 5th decade of my life. I drank in the words slowly, reflecting on adventure, achievement, and spirituality and the rest as I begin the next phase of the journey of my life.
Drawing on the strength of myself, my life experiences, and my resolutions, this book helped arm me with new ways of thinking about the next decade.
Marie
May 01, 2011 Marie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
What an excellent book! Sarah Brokaw does a great job of presenting women over 40 with five core values that we should embrace: grace, connectedness, acoomplishment, adventure, and spirituality. The interviews with women all over the country were very interesting to read, and I could relate to several of their stories. This made me feel inspired to look forward to the second have of my life with excitement!
Katherine Blocksdorf
I thought this book was okay. There were no paradigm shifting moments for me. But there may be some solace for those anticipating the big 4-0 with trepidation here. I couldn't relate to the lives of many of the women discussed in the book. It was easy to read, entertaining, but I don't know that many of the stories used reflected the experiences of those of us whose lives are a little more 'common'.
Leslie Whitehurst
Aug 08, 2013 Leslie Whitehurst rated it did not like it
Shelves: on-hold
I was really looking forward to reading this book, but I just can't get into it. Too many stories about women trying to decide on motherhood vs. career, or both, etc.... I am way past that. I was looking for a book to inspire me as I get ready for an empty nest and the next chapter of my life. Maybe I'll try it again later, but for now I'm done with this book.
Brenda Hoover
Jul 15, 2012 Brenda Hoover rated it liked it
I read this because of topic and Sarah is Tom Brokaw's daughter. The book is well written and uses women's profiles that I could identify with; however there are no huge revelations in this book about getting older and embracing age with wisdom. I was hoping for something a little more fresh but overall the book was inspirational.
Amy
Jun 27, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
This book, by Sarah Brokaw (daughter of Tom) is very interesting, but sometimes depressing. The subtitle is: Making the Next Decades the Best Years of Your Life - through the 40s, 50s, and Beyond.

Some things I grasped very easily, while others could be a challenge. Still, it's up to me (you) how you live your life. :)
Heather
Jan 31, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012
Every gal in their thirties should read, and be prepared for the forties. It was nice to hear someone talk about what it feels like to have successful parents and siblings, what it feels like to be single in their forties. Nice stories. Especially liked her story about 9/11
Lynette Rambousek
May 20, 2011 Lynette Rambousek rated it liked it
I'd give it a 3.5 as it kept my interest and had some great advise. Did enjoy the examples of peoples lives as Sarah Brokaw drilled home her ideas and reasons. The chapter on spirituality was quite new age thinking and I didn't agree with it but to each their own.
Jenny
Jul 27, 2011 Jenny rated it really liked it
As a woman turning 40 this year, the title caught my eye. Overall, I enjoyed the book. It gave a positive impression of 40 and beyond and layed out a framework which was easy to read. The women featured in the books had interesting stories.
Susan
Jan 26, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing
So far into this book I find it very very good especially the chapter she wrote on "girl friendships"
to be continued. the book is well worth the read.

I myself am into 60tude fun to be 70tude.
Julie Lenoch
Ok, this book is for women of all ages. Thank you, Sarah. You answered so many questions and opened so many doors for me as I enter my fifth decade, but, I'm having my 25 year old read it to!!
Darcy
Apr 06, 2011 Darcy rated it liked it
Lots of great topics and anecdotal information.Reads like a series of short magazine articles rather than a book. Good start to discussion of numerous topics. Left me wanting more.
Karen
Aug 18, 2011 Karen rated it liked it
Just started this book on Wednesday, and so far it is very good. My dad sent it to me in the mail. It isn't something I'd have picked up on my own, since I usually read fiction.
Elisa M
May 28, 2011 Elisa M rated it it was ok
This book helped me to change my attitude (for the better), but overall it was nothing I hadn't heard before. It's just good to be reminded sometimes.
Marti
Jul 11, 2011 Marti marked it as shelved-indefinitely
Sarah Brokaw will give the keynote address at the AAUW National Convention 6/18/11 so I will attempt to be familiar with her writing before then.
Jude
Apr 06, 2013 Jude rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not great. Expected much more of a theory or strategy to hold into. Not sure if this book just got published because of her famous father?
Diana
Mar 13, 2011 Diana rated it it was amazing
Not just for 40-year-olds. I am so glad I read this book during this very challenging time in my life!
Christopher Rising
Jun 07, 2012 Christopher Rising rated it it was amazing
Not a book I would normally read- but, Sarah is an old friend, very glad I read it and highly recommend it!!
Jackie
Sep 13, 2012 Jackie rated it liked it
This book provided some positive outlooks on things - it was an OK read. Not life changing.
Kathie
Mar 16, 2013 Kathie rated it it was amazing
Maybe not a 5 star book, but the perfect book at the perfect time for me.
  • Midlife Crisis at 30
  • Christmasing With You
  • Mend My Broken Heart
  • FLAWD: How to Stop Hating on Yourself, Others, and the Things That Make You Who You Are
  • The Survival of the Soul
  • Ella Bella
  • Secrets About Life Every Woman Should Know: Ten Principles for Total Emotional and Spiritual Fulfillment
  • Childfree and Loving It!
  • The Ultimate Volumetrics Diet: Smart, Simple, Science-Based Strategies for Losing Weight and Keeping It Off
  • Beyond Motherhood: Choosing Life Without Children
  • Stay With Me
  • Toxic Friends: The Antidote for Women Stuck in Complicated Friendships
  • Cleft Heart: Chasing Normal
  • Girl in the Kitchen: How a Top Chef Cooks, Thinks, Shops, Eats & Drinks
  • Mind Hacking: How to Change Your Mind for Good in 21 Days
  • I'm 35, My Eggs Are Rotting ... How's Your Sperm?
  • Mate Healer (Dragonmen, #4)
  • The Rainbow Way: Cultivating Creativity in the Midst of Motherhood