Start by marking “Vegan on the Cheap: Great Recipes and Simple Strategies That Save You Time and Money” as Want to Read:

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,075 ratings  ·  37 reviews
You don't have to blow your budget to eat great meatless and dairy-free meals every day.With "Vegan on the Cheap," you can enjoy delicious vegan meals every day of the week. Veteran food writer and vegan authority Robin Robertson provides 150 mouth-watering, exciting recipes that cost just 50 cents to $2 per serving-hefty savings to go with hearty vegan meals.

This book pre
Published September 3rd 2010 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Vegan on the Cheap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegan on the Cheap

Lisa Vegan
May 31, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody who appreciates inexpensive and easy to prepare meals
Recommended to Lisa by: Lee
I bought this because of the “cheap” description, but much to my delight most of these recipes are easy to make too, and many look incredibly delicious.

I rely too much on convenience foods, which are sometimes less healthy and are almost always more expensive than making things from scratch. I’m fortunate to live in an area with many wonderful vegan restaurants, but it’s expensive to eat out, so I’m trying to spend less on my meals at home and save most of the splurges for when I do dine out.

Th
Katey
Jan 26, 2014 Katey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People on a budget who want to feed their family well
Shelves: cookbooks
I have yet to make any recipes from this book, but just perusing them they seem like they'll be decent. The other info in the book is pretty much right on the mark, and definitely provides good and practical advice for those vegans who need to budget, if you haven't already figured it out. I also appreciated the section titled "No Skimping Allowed," which names certain ingredients you should NEVER go the cheap way on, such as extra virgin olive oil, buying pure maple syrup, no imitation vanilla ...more
Blakely
This book is good - I recommend it. So far most of the recipes I've tried have been winners and several have been added to our frequently cooked recipe rotations.

Below are our comments on the recipes we've made so far.

Cheezee Sauce - We made this as a sub-recipe for some other recipe. I thought Chreese (from Roads End Organic) is better, I would probably just make that moving forward instead of the sauce

Almost Instant Chickpea Tomato Soup - This was really good! the only bad thing was that even
Bunnyhugger1
1/31/2011 - I made two recipes from this last night and invited two friends to be my guinea pigs. The Baked Mac and Cheeze recipe looked quite simple but it had a fairly long list of ingredients. To avoid getting flustered, a couple of hours before I started cooking I laid out the ingredients on the kitchen table, measuring some, and making the bread crumbs. When I did start cooking I felt like I was on a TV show where it looks so effortless because all the prep work has been done! Coming out of ...more
Laurie
This gem of a cookbook from Robin Robertson starts off with some really helpful tips on how to save money on your grocery shopping and menu planning.`

Recipe Sections are divided into Basics, Soups/Stews, Salads, Noodles, Skillet Dishes, Bakes/Casseroles, Pizzas/Burgers/Sandwiches, Slow-Cooker Dishes & Desserts.

I've been cooking from this book for less than a month and have seen a decrease in my weekly grocery bill. Everything I've tried so far has been pretty yummy.

~French Lentil Chili
~Smoky
Evanston Public  Library
I have been on a cookbook kick lately, and although this one of the least flashy of the bunch (certainly not as hip or cool as Veganomicon), this is one of my favorites. Even though this book has no pictures, it has some simple recipes that do not cost much. The recipe that most made me giggle was "Cheapamole." As Ms. Robertson reiterates, avocados can be expensive, so her unique combination of frozen peas, white beans and other ingredients created an inexpensive faux-mole that can be served to ...more
Denni
I'm not ready to take this one back to the library. There are some great meatless recipes- just what I was looking for. Handy Hummus p.44,Pot of Beans p.46, Rice Two Ways p.47, Southwestern Black Bean and Corn Chowder p. 68 (really good),Summer Garden Soup p. 69, Black & White Bean Chili p.78, Salsa Rice and Red (used Black) Beans p. 132 Curried Red Bean Pilaf with Walnuts and Raisins P. 133,Coconut Curry Rice p. 134, Three Bean Loaf p. 155, Very Veggie Burgers p. 179
Ginny Messina
I just reviewed this on the examiner site today. Lots of great recipes and good tips for saving both time and money.
Heather
I have several vegan/vegetarian cookbooks, but I know that this one will be my go-to. The premise behind this cookbook is that every recipe ends up costing $2 or less per serving. However, this does assume that you have a decently stocked pantry already. For example, if you are going to be making the Stovetop Cheezee Mac but don't already have nutritional yeast, that alone will set you back about $13.

I've only tried a handful of recipes from the hundreds that are in this book, but I have not bee
Amber
The beganning part about how to save ect I knew most of but for those who arejust venturing into the saving money and cooking I think it was good info to know and have on hand. I like how the recipes are easy and basic and made with basic staples most people have on a regular basis in their home. Even for meat eaters who's out to try something new it has stuff they can easily make and try out with without having to go to whole foods and such stores looking for that random ingredient you've never ...more
Philip Jenks
incredible: great for vegans, nonvegans - it's a really useful book for whenever I'm broke as hell and that's most of the time. and the food tastes wonderful. I use Molly Katzen's work as well but find her Moosewood recipes more complex and time consuming. Robertson senses time - and economizes it as well. That may sound "capitalistic" of me but hell, I work a lot and cooking taketh time.

another great thing is - this is fantastic for the omnivore with the sort of classic "americana" taste. old
Carrie Schindele Cupples
Only made one recipe so far but love how she makes everything from simple ingredients. Looking through the others, I found plenty to try. Thriftiness in her approach is just an added bonus.

Edit: I've now made the seitan loaf and the cheezy sauce -- very good and balanced takes on staple-type recipes.
Karen!
I really liked this book. This is, obviously, a book about saving money on food, and it gives great recipes that cut back on cost without cutting back on variety, fun, or flavor. The top of each page give a approximate amount per serving, with nothing coming out to more than $2 per serving. After the recipe, there are sometimes "splurges" or substitutions that would make the meal more expensive, but might be worth it to some people.

I will definitely be cooking from this book!
Jessica
Great cookbook! All the recipes so far have been wonderful (except the one I messed up on, totally my fault). Has great money saving tips that should have been obvious to me, but were not. Her seitan recipes are outstanding. After a previous attempt to make it myself, I had given up, but Robin's recipes keep it simple. This is going to be my go-to cookbook for a long time and has definitely helped me save money on vegan food.
David Tan
Many vegan books are great and creative, but they ask for ingredients that are quite expensive. Also, since many vegetables have gone up in price since the publishing of other vegan books, it makes it almost impractical to anyone on even a moderate budget. This book is both simple in preparation and the inexpensive ingredients can be found pretty much in any standard American grocery store.
Andrea Dumont
really good salad recipe with a homemade chipotle dressing (spicy!)
Davida
I love the <$2 per serving recipes. All delicious and easy and mostly using ingredients I already have in my house. Very encouraging and friendly tone makes this cookbook even more enjoyable.

Have made savory sausage and peppers, farfalle with cabbage and white beans, hearty lentil stew - all yummy.
Deb
The French Lentil Chili is easy and delicious (recipe here: http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/20...) and I have several others tagged to make. Next up Lemony Garlic Chickpea Patties I think. A good guide to easy vegan recipes on a budget.
F.P.
It is what it says: low-cost (and mostly easy) vegan recipes.

I cannot stop eating and desiring the Corned Seitan And Cabbage (I modify the recipe because I don't have a slow cooker).

Wish I had a personal chef who could make that dish for me every day lol.
Kerri
I tried and loved the following recipes:
- Chocolate Blueberry Crumble - so good and so easy!
- Chocolate Surprise Brownies
- Lemony Garlic Chickpea Patties
- Pumpkin Spice Cake with Chocolate Glaze
- Sesame Shortbread Cookies
- Faux Parm
- Wheatballs
Deyara
Lots of recipes I want to try, and she gives good tips on how to make nice food cheaply. No pictures, which is a little annoying as I am not a cook and dont really know what half of these things are supposed to look like.
Marian
Some of the advice seemed pretty obvious, like make big bathces of dried beans or brown rice. But the tips on where to buy products and the recipes were good. Many vegan cookbooks do not factor in diabetics--
Bess
Only deducted a star because there were no recipes in the ENTIRE book...but can't wait to whip up all these delicious and affordable vegan creations...wide range of cuisines which I really appreciate.
Kelly
Oct 15, 2013 Kelly is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I haven't yet gotten around to reviewing this cookbook - but you can see some of the dishes I've made from Vegan on the Cheap here: http://www.easyvegan.info/tag/vegan-o...
Molly
This is pretty good- no pictures, which I usually hate; but pretty basic, 'doable' recipes. Looking forward to some peanut butter noodles and chocolate glazed pumpkin cake.
Amy
I'm working my way through this book. So far I've had many successes and a couple of disappointments! I'll post a list of recommend recipes later.
Jacqueline Hager-Bodnar
Great recipes once again. If you are looking to make some vegan meals and save money doing it, this is the book to get!
Lindsey
I really liked this book, but didn't find many dinners that my family would enjoy. Loved the tips and tricks though
Pam
Great tips in here for using every bit of what you buy and there's some recipes in here that sound good.
Melissa
Apr 20, 2012 Melissa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melissa by: topy1991@msn.com
There are quite a few recipes in the book, but they're a bit exotic for our tastes.
  • The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions: Veganize It!  Foolproof Methods for Transforming Any Dish into a Delicious New Vegan Favorite
  • Supermarket Vegan: 225 Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes for Real Peoplein the Real World
  • The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 150 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Everyone (Vegan or Not!) Will Devour
  • Color Me Vegan: Maximize Your Nutrient Intake and Optimize Your Health by Eating Antioxidant-Rich, Fiber-Packed, Color-Intense Meals That Taste Great
  • Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • Vegan Holiday Kitchen: More than 200 Delicious, Festive Recipes for Special Occasions
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads
  • The 30-Minute Vegan: Over 175 Quick, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes for Everyday Cooking
  • Chloe's Kitchen: 125 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Making the Food You Love the Vegan Way
  • Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining & Everyday
  • The Vegan Scoop: 150 Recipes for Dairy-Free Ice Cream that Tastes Better Than the "Real" Thing
  • Vegan Pie in the Sky: 75 Out-of-This-World Recipes for Pies, Tarts, Cobblers, Crumbles, and More
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
An experienced chef and consultant, Robin Robertson worked for many years in restaurants and catering in northeastern Pennsylvania and Charleston, South Carolina before she began writing cookbooks. In 1988, she left the restaurant business and became vegan for ethical reasons. She then rededicated her life to writing and teaching gourmet vegan cooking.

Over the years, she has fine-tuned her plant-b
More about Robin G. Robertson...
Vegan Planet: 400 Irresistible Recipes with Fantastic Flavors from Home and Around the World Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You Are 1,000 Vegan Recipes Vegan Fire & Spice: 200 Sultry and Savory Global Recipes Quick-Fix Vegan: Healthy, Homestyle Meals in 30 Minutes or Less