The Living End

The Living End

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  21 reviews
One Last Goodbye. One Last Adventure.

Pearly Laurel is devastated by the death of her beloved husband of thirty-five years. The two had always said they couldn’t live without one another, and Pearly has no desire to even try.

Then, in the midst of her grief, Pearly finds a tattered list in Joey’s pocket, entitled, “While I Live, I Want to….” His ultimate to-do list sends he...more
Published June 16th 2010 by WaterBrook Press (first published October 21st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Living End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Living End

Ruth
I'm fortunate that I've never experienced heart-rendering grief, the kind that the books say make you feel like you've been torn in two. I grieved when I lost my mother, and to a lesser extent when I lost my grandparents, but the reality is that we know it is likely we'll lose those people; I wasn't living with them or seeing them daily when they died, and the fact of the matter is, my life is little changed by their death. I'm sure that losing my husband will be a different story. The Living En...more
Marika Gillis
Jun 25, 2009 Marika Gillis rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marika by: Regina
Shelves: fiction
Devastated by her husband, Joey’s, unexpected stroke (and subsequent death) while lunching at Golden Corral, Pearly Laurel sinks into a severe depression. Immersed in her sadness, she decides to complete Joey’s to-do list of unfinished plans for his life. And, when completed, makes plans to finish her own life. In her quest to complete her husband’s list, Pearly (among other things) goes whale watching in Alaska, walks the Appalachian Trail, and takes guitar lessons, all while reflecting on her...more
Melissa
I really liked the story line of the book, but I didn't like the religion hidden all through it. If I wanted to read a book about God then, I would have picked up the bible. This book does have a good story, and the religion starts off really slow, so I didn't notice it too much. By the time you are annoyed with the religious context you have to finish the damn book just to see how it ends and you are stuck reading a bible. Maybe that was the purpose, but I wasn't a fan.
Becky
Oh this book was so delicious. What to do when the love of your life passes away? For Pearly, it means taking his to-do list and meeting each one, in a toast to her husband, Joe. It means feeling like she can't go on any longer, wondering about the world and her place in it. It also means that the list is what would help Pearly come across people who will form her new family and helping Pearly understand the gift of life. God uses such difficult situations for those that love him, to the greater...more
Melissa
A little disappointing compared to her other books. Pearly's husband dies, she wants to finish his list of things to do and then commit suicide.
Diana
There is something very special about this book; I feel like this was a time in my life when I needed to read something like this. Pearly is a very interesting woman... she has put off living her entire life so that she could be a loving and supportive wife to her husband, and it's not until he dies that she realizes her life had meaning as well! She thought he was the brilliant one b/c he was so smart and so spiritual, and he was all of those things, but she is too in her own way. Her journey i...more
Shellys♥ Journal
This is the story of a woman who loses her husband prematurely and is determined to finish his bucket list before killing herself. In the process of working through the list, she meets some interesting people, learns about herself, and begans to understand the link to God that her husband had.

I liked it a lot, probably more in the days after I read it and thinking about the things that happen. Slow starting, but compelling on its race to a bizarre twist and conclusion.
Jeni
This story of a middle-aged women who loses her husband and sets out to finish his "bucket list" was refreshing, funny, poignant, and better written than most Christian literature. It got a little message-heavy at the end (a major downfall of Christian literature), but other than that the characters were warm, engaging, imperfect, and human. I have liked other books by Lisa Samson, and although this was not my favorite I think she is one of the better writers in this genre.
Valerie
Good, but not her best It was a good read, but just not as captivating as her other books. I would read anything she wrote as she is a great writer. I never find her books preachy. I actually love the way she usually comes at the religious angle in her characters. If this is the first book you have read by her, please give her others books a try, you will not be disappointed.
Betty
I really enjoyed this book. I loved Pearly and her self involvement, that she is unaware, of until it is to late...but redemption arrives in the odd assortment of "family" that she adopts during her journey through grief. I loved the portrayal of Joey, her deceased husband...I would like to have few more Joey's in my life. This is a very sweet and moving book.
Tammy
Aug 06, 2014 Tammy rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tammy by: Shelfari
Shelves: did-not-finish
At first I was afraid this book would be too sad for me. I cried as I read about the man dying and how his wife handled it. But the story never really went anywhere after that. I finally decided to quit reading it.
Kirsten
had no idea what this book was about when I ordered it from the library - i just wanted to get my annual summer Lisa Samson read in. topic today at church was on grieving well - and not as those who have no hope.
Lisa
I would give this book twice the amount of stars.
This book spoke to me in some very similar thoughts and wanted actions. It was therapeutic to read this book.
Kasey
It would be hard to come away from this book without your outlook in life being forever changed. I couldn't put it down.
Karen
I thought this was a very moving book. It really makes you think about life after the death of a loved one.
Rachel
I find that I always enjoy Lisa Samson. This was another pleasurable read.
Marie
This author tried so hard to be quirky that she only came off as annoying. Bo!
Michael
My favorite Lisa Samson book...I think, anyway...
Katie Nelson
quite sad but is a good book to read.
Jan Ackerson
Great concept, very good book.
Tammy Odom
Tammy Odom marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Sharna
Sharna marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Marta Parker
Marta Parker is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2014
Kathy Robinson
Kathy Robinson marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Sharon Piper
Sharon Piper marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
The Christy-award winning author of nineteen books including the Women of Faith Novel of the Year Quaker Summer, Lisa Samson has been hailed by Publishers Weekly as "a talented novelist who isn't afraid to take risks." She lives in Kentucky with her husband and three kids.
More about Lisa Samson...
Quaker Summer Embrace Me The Passion of Mary-Margaret Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #1) Resurrection in May