Start by marking “Ben & Me: From Temperance to Humility--Stumbling Through Ben Franklin's Thirteen Virtues, One Unvirtuous Day at a Time” as Want to Read:

2.84 of 5 stars 2.84  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Thirteen weeks. Thirteen virtues.
Cameron Gunn considered himself a regular guy-a pretty good husband, father, attorney, and friend.
But was there room for improvement?
A reader of history and a fan of Ben Franklin (and weary of self-help advice that never seems to offer much help), Gunn decided to try a little experiment. He would attempt to live by Franklin's thirteen
Published September 1st 2010 by Perigee Books (first published July 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ben & Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ben & Me

Jilanna
13 Jan 11 - I just finished reading The Happiness Project. Rubin often talks about Ben Franklin. As I finished that book, I decided that now would be a good time to try this book by a local author. I bought my copy at Westminster Books this afternoon.

24 Jan 11 - Finished the book last night. Enjoyed reading another good book by a local author. This is an interesting, authentic memoir. Gunn learns a lot about himself and shares his lessons learned - past and present - in an accessible, open way.
Steve Troy
The author had a good idea with this book but should have paid more attention to the 13th virtue of Humility and than started the book over. This was way too self absorbed and way too much info about his seemingly failing marriage. I was also constantly thrown off about how cavalierly he treated the people's lives he held in his hand as a prosecutor. When he talked about sentencing people to anger management despite having any idea what it was and than discovering that he personally thought it w ...more
bert-bobbi
The author is a Canadian legal prosecutor who is fascinated by Ben Franklin's wide range of accomplishments, but the book centers on Franklin's 13 principles to live by. I admired Mr. Gunn for his ability to perform an honest self-examintion, and even more for being courageous enough to put the unvarnished facts about himself out there that everyone could benefit. His writing style is very humorous yet contemplative, and book is an easy read. It is a good real-life attempt to put into use Ben Fr ...more
Cathy
A disappointing read. It had an interesting premise but was lacking depth. The author sets himself the goal of self-improvement by following Benjamin Franklin's virtues, focusing on one a week. A week seems just long enough to do a superficial pass over the virtue and get a few laughs without experiencing any depth of insight. He does come out of his project with cleaner closets and the realization that change is hard. If you're looking for mild entertainment this is the book for you. If you wan ...more
Kent
Not quite what I was expecting, which led to my disappointment. I was loking for more Franklin and got too much Gunn. My bad!
Denise Flynn
Better than I expected. It was both not overly deep and complicated and quite profound at the same time. Kind of weird. An easy read. Enough humor to keep it interesting and enough theory to be credible.
LeAnne
Loved the concept. The author went on a self improvement journey tackling one Ben Franklin virtue each week. Always enjoy reading about good old Ben, but the author's story itself wasn't that interesting.
Terry Colella
Really did not like the book.
Felt it was more a diary; a writing all about the writer.
The author came across as very self centered, did not come to like him nor care about his experience.
Colleen
I was on the same page as the author, so it was fun to find this book and have someone elses perspective on what it's like to follow Ben in the pursuit of bettering ourselves.
Julia
This book had a great premise, but could have used more editing... or something... the pace was abysmal.
Debra
So far so good, I've read many of these types of books, but I'm enjoying the author's voice
Stewart
Loved it. Funny and inspiring without being preachy. Very good concept
Lydia
Dec 06, 2010 Lydia is currently reading it
So far: witty and comical. An entertainment :)
Lisa
eh. i've ready better books in this style
Jeremy
Katie
Katie added it
Nov 11, 2014
Candra
Candra is currently reading it
Sep 22, 2014
Melissa Crady
Melissa Crady marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014