Start by marking “Ben & Me: From Temperance to Humility--Stumbling Through Ben Franklin's Thirteen Virtues, One Unvirtuous Day at a Time” as Want to Read:

Thirteen weeks. Thirteen virtues.
Cameron Gunn considered himself a regular guy-a pretty good husband, father, attorney, and friend.
But was there room for improvement?
A reader of history and a fan of Ben Franklin (and weary of self-help advice that never seems to offer much help), Gunn decided to try a little experiment. He would attempt to live by Franklin's thirteen
Published September 1st 2010 by Perigee Books (first published July 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ben & Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ben & Me

Jilanna
Jan 13, 2011 Jilanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
13 Jan 11 - I just finished reading The Happiness Project. Rubin often talks about Ben Franklin. As I finished that book, I decided that now would be a good time to try this book by a local author. I bought my copy at Westminster Books this afternoon.

24 Jan 11 - Finished the book last night. Enjoyed reading another good book by a local author. This is an interesting, authentic memoir. Gunn learns a lot about himself and shares his lessons learned - past and present - in an accessible, open way.
bert-bobbi
Jan 20, 2011 bert-bobbi rated it really liked it
The author is a Canadian legal prosecutor who is fascinated by Ben Franklin's wide range of accomplishments, but the book centers on Franklin's 13 principles to live by. I admired Mr. Gunn for his ability to perform an honest self-examintion, and even more for being courageous enough to put the unvarnished facts about himself out there that everyone could benefit. His writing style is very humorous yet contemplative, and book is an easy read. It is a good real-life attempt to put into use Ben Fr ...more
Cathy
Nov 12, 2012 Cathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A disappointing read. It had an interesting premise but was lacking depth. The author sets himself the goal of self-improvement by following Benjamin Franklin's virtues, focusing on one a week. A week seems just long enough to do a superficial pass over the virtue and get a few laughs without experiencing any depth of insight. He does come out of his project with cleaner closets and the realization that change is hard. If you're looking for mild entertainment this is the book for you. If you wan ...more
LeAnne
Jan 21, 2011 LeAnne rated it liked it
Loved the concept. The author went on a self improvement journey tackling one Ben Franklin virtue each week. Always enjoy reading about good old Ben, but the author's story itself wasn't that interesting.
Denise Flynn
Better than I expected. It was both not overly deep and complicated and quite profound at the same time. Kind of weird. An easy read. Enough humor to keep it interesting and enough theory to be credible.
Kent
Jul 22, 2014 Kent rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
Not quite what I was expecting, which led to my disappointment. I was loking for more Franklin and got too much Gunn. My bad!
Terry
Apr 06, 2011 Terry rated it did not like it
Really did not like the book.
Felt it was more a diary; a writing all about the writer.
The author came across as very self centered, did not come to like him nor care about his experience.
Julia
Dec 14, 2010 Julia rated it liked it
This book had a great premise, but could have used more editing... or something... the pace was abysmal.
Colleen
Jan 31, 2011 Colleen rated it it was ok
I was on the same page as the author, so it was fun to find this book and have someone elses perspective on what it's like to follow Ben in the pursuit of bettering ourselves.
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2011
Marc
Marc rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Kerry
Kerry rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2011
Jenn
Jenn rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2011
Phoebe
Phoebe rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2016
Renate
Renate rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Ray Savarda
Ray Savarda rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2013
Kate
Kate rated it it was ok
Apr 08, 2016
Lisa
Oct 14, 2011 Lisa rated it it was ok
eh. i've ready better books in this style
Lori Jones
Lori Jones rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2012
Nolan
Nolan rated it did not like it
Mar 02, 2014
Kevin O'Donnell
Kevin O'Donnell rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2011
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was ok
May 27, 2012
Eileen
Eileen rated it it was ok
Oct 29, 2010
Dani
Dani rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2011
Cheryl Swavely
Cheryl Swavely rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2014
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2010
Enigma Monkey
Enigma Monkey rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2014
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2011
Estelle
Estelle rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2011