Wisdom & Dust

Wisdom & Dust

4.86 of 5 stars 4.86  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Neil McCrea is a poet and author living in the Pacific Northwest. His work has most recently appeared in "Knock, Etc: a Review of General Semantics," and in the NeoPoiesis anthology "Candy. Wisdom & Dust" is his first poetry collection.
Reviews
Like water into wine, McCrea consistently and effortlessly transforms the quotidian into the revelatory. Wisdom & Dust da...more
Published August 30th 2010 by Neopoiesis Press, LLC

Dan
I can’t say I’ve read anything like this before. In some ways it contains the darkness of the drugs and sex from Hubert Selby Jr. ran through the mind of an adept poet. I seemed to care less about the poems of sex than other topics/subjects, and really liked the mythological references and allusions found through the book. As I neared the end I found myself thinking more and more about how much I’d love to read a hard-boiled crime novel written by McCrea. It would be wonderful. Even if that wish...more
Brian
I started this book back in December but with so much shit going on in my life I had a hard time focusing and when I did focus and see clearly it wasn't helping my current mental state. This is not meant to be a bad thing or a statement made about the book itself. Just my current frame of mind when I first cracked it opened.

The stories are gritty... gritty like chewing a mouthful of sand, like peeping in a hole and seeing something that you really really really wish you hadn't seen but since you...more
Outi
4,5 stars. Poetry is always hard when it's not written in your mother tongue, I think and there are some very strange and fancy words! I had trouble understanding some of the fine points of McCrea's poems. But then again, the ones I got and understood went right under my skin. Conspire was one of the most beautiful poems in the compilation and then there were The World of Shit, Sub Plot and Killers that were so powerful, weird yet wonderful. The one I remember the best for some reason is Fuck Bu...more
Chris
This book is for people who say the hate poetry. Once read,some of the poems stayed with me for a long time, like "Killers", which made me cry the first time I read it. The collection reads like a cohesive life story,and that life is not always good. Some parts are uncomfortable to read because the emotions are so familiar; sometimes you don't want them to be so. The book is honest, unflinching and with no apologies. When you are finished reading it,you will want to know and read more.
Carly
The wonderfully crafted poems in this book deal with life situations that can either grab you by the throat and punch you in the gut, or suck the tears right out of your eyes when you least expect it. McCrea's world is seen through unflinching eyes underscored with a modern almost punk sensibility, and it never lets you forget that you are being carried along to depths that poetry is meant to do by every classic definition.
Annie Cargirl
Neil is a phenomenal poet. Each piece is a short story in poem form. His use of a narrative style in his work draws the reader in and makes them feel and see and hear everything that the subjects in his poems feel and see and hear. I never tire of reading his work. Each poem is a heartfelt vignette. You will not regret picking up this collection.
Josie
This may sound extreme, but I literally cannot live without this book.

It reads like a rainy night complete with a pack of cigarettes, a bottle of scotch, and an old friend.

You need it. You really do.
Thomas Bruso
Thomas Bruso marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Miriam Bridenne
Miriam Bridenne marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Patty
Patty added it
Jun 09, 2013
Dana Campbell
Dana Campbell marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2012
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2011
Slowrabbit
Slowrabbit marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2011
Jennie Hettrick
Jennie Hettrick marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2011
Thelma
Thelma added it
Oct 04, 2011
Jessica
Jessica is currently reading it
Mar 14, 2011
Micha
Micha marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2010
Ben Loory
Ben Loory marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2010
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2010