Antiques Maul (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery #2)

Antiques Maul (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery #2)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  398 ratings  ·  65 reviews
After her impossible-but-adorable mother quits the local theater group, Brandy Borne has a brilliant idea for keeping Mother out of trouble: open their own booth at the new antiques mall in town. But things turn grim when a body is found between the cigar-store Indian and the chamber pot. The local law believes that normally good-natured Brad Pit Bull, the victim's dog, ma...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Kensington Books (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Antiques Maul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Antiques Maul

Theweed74955 Wild
When I started reading, the fact that animals were talking to each other led me to believe I had inadvertently selected a children's book. But, no, it was just the inane style of the author who, for some reason, punishes the reader with cutesy writing and unbridled parenthetical expressions that test the reader's patience and resolve to finish the book. At least half of the book could be omitted without changing the story line one bit, since most of it is superfluous information that I rally had...more
Kathryn
This book is well written, with interesting characters and a promising mystery. It's just not my cup of tea, though: the narrator-protagonist is so much more interested in name-brand designer clothing than I am that I decided to stop reading about a third of the way through. Oh well--chacun son gout.
April
Cute second installment in the Trash and Treasures series by writing team Barbara Allan. I really enjoy the main character of Brandy and her diabetic blind dog Sushi. I love how Brandy isn't perfect and sometimes loses her temper (at her sister's mean friends) but is so likeable. She cares for her bipolar mom partly by holding her tongue when she wants to answer back to an unfair comment, and partly by opening an antique store. In this case, she and her mother come across a dead body of an antiq...more
Lisa Kucharski
A divorced woman living with her zany mom decides to get her mother's zany tendencies focused on selling antiques in this mystery. But soon after the the mall opens the owner is found dead.

I liked the characters and the humor was fun... but the mystery was way too far in the background for my liking. The last chapter or two was where all the action was and it would have been nice to have a bit more throughout the story.

However that being said, I could see a person simply reading this for the w...more
Gaele
Copied from my review at Amazon

Mystery and shopping tips: what more do you want?

this is the 2nd entrant in the "Trash N Treasures Mysteries" series. It was my first read of the books, and I was already prejudiced toward liking the story as mysteries and antiques are two things I really enjoy.

This story moved smoothly forward in a breezy conversational style that helped to define and develop the main characters of Brandy and Vivian in a far more fulled-out fashion than most, I particularly app...more
Terri
This was a very cozy read for a spring afternoon with inclement weather.

I won't rehash the plot. I liked the narration of the book, which I suppose puts this book in the category of metaliterature, because the narrators were always addressing the reader directly and clearly conscious of the fact. That's a little different for the typical cozy.

I had expected this to be the typical "antiques" mystery plot where someone inherits the antiques store, only to find that something must be hidden there...more
RebeccaS
I enjoyed this quirky cozy mystery. The main characters have a lot of sass, especially Brandy, which makes it really fun to read. I even laughed out loud in some of the scenes. Though this is a very light cozy, it was therefore a quick read and enjoyable. I will definitely continue with the series. However, I only gave it 3 stars because most of the writing is fluff and there was very little mystery/sleuthing in the book.
Barbara Allen is the writing team of husband and wife Barbara and Max Allan Collins. This is the second in the series with Brandy, her mother (who has a mental disorder) and Brandy's diabetic blind dog Sushi. Antiques are the theme, as with the first book, and of course, a murder. Or was it a murder? Did perhaps the owner's pit bull maul her? Mother thinks not....and complicating matters is the visit of Brandy's son Jacob during Halloween. When Jacob disappears, it's a race to rescue him before...more
Alycia
I gave up at page 35. I couldn't deal with the author's parenthetical asides. They show up at least every other paragraph, although I did find a single sentence which contained three of them. Honestly, the book looks as if it went to print before the editors were finished.
Diane Heath
This was an improvement over the first book in the series (Antiques Road kill). This go around Brandy and Vivien set up the antique booth which figures in later stories. They discover the body of Mrs. Norton in the mall. It appears that she was attacked by her pet Brad Pit Bull. It is necessary for Brandy and Viv to solve the case because Brandy's son, Jake has disappeared.
Sue
I liked this second book in the Trash 'N Treasures Mystery series. Brandy and her mother open a booth at Serenity's antique mall. There they encounter Brad Pit Bull, the mall's form of security system. Brad figures in prominently in the storyline.

To figure out the whodunit, Brandy and mother Vivian meet with many of the locals, and this time around, Brandy's 10-year old son, Jake, comes to Serenity to spend some time with her right before Halloween. Vivian's stint at the local haunted house (and...more
Tina
The character of Brandy tends to annoy me greatly, but for some reason I still don't put these books down. Usually if a character doesn't sit well with me, I stop reading, but this series is interesting enough, despite Brandy, that I keep reading.
Sherie Davis
The series is growing on me. I think Brandy is growing and becoming a more likeable character. I was thinking she wasn't a very good Mom but she kind of improved after that. I mean she kept doing stuff without her kid during the one week she got to see him in six months. I was kinda baffled by that, but then things kind of turned around so I decided to give her a break. The plot was fun though. I think the only thing that can be a little tiring is all the segueing. It's like the cutaways in Fami...more
Curtiss Martin
A delightful story. Her humorous style keeps you entranced to the end. Nove-Noga!
Richard Ward
Not as good as the 1st book, mostly because this murder mystery has so little of it. Nobody dies at all until the book is half over! Even then the second half of the book is pretty light on mystery content, less of a whodunit and more of a chase. The characters continue to be fun, although there is not enough further development of the series' two main characters. Even the bad guys in the first book are more entertaining than this one's baddies. Still, this book does have its moments and I didn'...more
Susan
I was expecting a mystery and there really wasn't much of that in this book. The death didn't occur until about half-way through the book and the investigation of it seemed almost peripheral to the rest of the story which was about Brandy's relationship with her ex-husband, her son and her mother. There was a section about shopping with tips about how to save money to have more to spend on clothes that just seemed to be filler. The book was saved by some humorous descriptions of characters and s...more
Melody
A good read, I must look for the first book in the series.
Bobbye Hudspeth
I liked the first one better, but the 2nd one was still a quick fun read. These days, anything that can keep my interest at all deserves 3 stars. Like the first one, it was well edited, good characters that were interesting and fun. The blind Shih Tzu is a nice touch. It always warms my heart cockles to have writer's include little nudges about things that I'm passionate about (not giving up a wonderful part of your life because it's suddenly imperfect). I guess the three instead of four stars c...more
Linda
This is my second Trash 'n' Treasures Mysteries, and I still think they are fun. Mother & Daughter "team" stumble onto another crime, which looks like the dog did it! Mother has lost her chance for the lead of the theater, so Brandy decides that maybe Mother needs something to occupy her, and they decide to open an antiques booth at the local antiques mall. Mother & Daughter are mental cases, and this is a laugh out loud romp with murder, mayhem and kidnapping. Needless to say, Mother so...more
Sarah (Mood Reader)
I am still confused by some of the situations within the book. I guess it would probably help to read the series. However the sad thing about that is that it did not keep my attention enough to read the rest of the series. I know for a fact that this will be a book that in time I will forget about because it did not mean a lot to me! I'm not sure what else to say about this book but that I did enjoy it at some time. It was enough to finish the book but that was about it.
Barb Briggs
Nice cozy mystery. Many reviews have complained about Allen's writing style (adding a lot of parenthesis, comments, etc) but I personally find them part of the charm of this series (not that I would want to read books like that all the times). And let's get real, what dog lover could resist a book with Brad Pit Bull as a murder suspect.
John
Brandy Borne is a truly annoying protagonist. She's shallow, judgmental, frantic, unfocused, immature, unsure of herself and obsessed with brand names. But as much as I'd hate to meet her in real life, those qualities also kind of what makes these books fun. MAUL is a nice, light, cozy mystery with a lot of humor. It's nothing deep, but the book is a comfortable way to spend an afternoon or two.
Grey853
I should've liked this book. It had antiques and cute pooches, but, unfortunately, it also had characters I really didn't like. The mother is just too bitchy/bossy and the daughter too depressed and self-pitying. People get divorced. Get over it already instead of wallowing.

I don't mind zany plots from time-to-time, but this one was just annoying.
Vicky
I enjoy the characters in the this trash and treasure series. Sometimes humor is a much needed addition to the murder mystery aspect. The plot was a little slow in getting started and perhaps more time was spent in characterization than the actual storyline, but I enjoyed the easy read .that created a relaxing time-out from my busy schedule
Stephanie
I actually liked this one better than the first. Fast read and uplifting on a day you feel blah. A little light on the mystery part, a little less in controlled madcap arena. This book seemed more focused on character development than the murder mystery. However the clues were better.

Getting the next book.
Jenn
A mother and daughter sell their wares at an antique mall where the owner is murdered to look like her dog mauled her. A gun was hidden in the cigar store indian where the perp hid it after killing his partner from a bank robbery. I just read this book cause it was associated with halloween lol.
Margarita
I am about 1/3 of the way into this and am not really liking it that much. For one thing, there seem to be quite a few grammatical errors. I am not sure I will finish. I would recommend Elaine Flinn's excellent series if anyone is interested in murder mysteries that revolve around antiques.
Diane
i am reading these books out of order, unfortunately, but for the most part they can be read that way, as the author explains a bit of the previous story line in each new book. it is humorous, but deals with hard topics like infidelity, divorce, and how kids are caught between 2 parents.
Sylvia

I liked this one better than the first. There was still a bit too many fashion descriptions for my taste, not really my thing, but many moments where I was laughing out loud. The mother is fabulous! The end seemed a bit rushed, but I'm still looking for ward to the next one.
Skeeter Jorgensen
I liked this book, It was about one of my favorite hobbies, antiques! Also had suspense, I liked the characters, specially the mother! I will rate it L-NoG (my personal coding system) There were a couple of "merde" words. I would read more like this.
  • Death Tidies Up (Charlotte LaRue Mystery, #2)
  • Citizen Insane (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #2)
  • Scared Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #2)
  • Blown Away
  • Ghost a la Mode (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #1)
  • Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery #1)
  • Murder Over Easy
  • Cut, Crop & Die (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #2)
  • Dead Pan (Daphne Martin, #2)
  • Mama Does Time (A Mace Bauer Mystery #1)
  • Chili Con Corpses (A Supper Club Mystery, #3)
  • I Shall Not Want (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #2)
  • A Brisket, a Casket (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on the Rocks (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #1)
  • Design on a Crime (A Deadly Décor Mystery, #1)
  • May Day (Murder-by-Month Mystery, #1)
  • Death Benefits (Southern Fraud Thriller, #2)
  • Lye in Wait (Home Crafting Mystery, #1)
Barbara Allan is a pseudonym used by Barbara Collins and Max Allan Collins

Max Allan Collins is a writer of mystery novels, screenplays, comics and historical fiction. Collins has collaborated on numerous short stories with his wife writer Barbara Collins. Together they also write the successful “Trash ‘n’ Treasures” mysteries – their Antiques Flee Market (2008) won the Romantic Times Best Humorous...more
More about Barbara Allan...
Antiques Roadkill (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #1) Antiques Flee Market (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #3) Antiques Bizarre (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #4) Antiques Knock-Off (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #5) Antiques Disposal (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #6)