Start by marking “The Seven Voyages of Sinbad the Sailor” as Want to Read:
The Seven Voyages of Sinbad the Sailor

The Seven Voyages of Sinbad the Sailor

This is an unabridged, illustrated edition of The Seven Voyages of Sinbad.
Published June 9th 2003 by Chrysalis Books (first published January 1st 1949)

Gary
Apr 26, 2016 Gary rated it it was amazing
Formulaic in the best sense, like the oldest stories that were built for memory across generations, but the inner story of each voyage is great fun, like the story of the rocs, the giant birds. These seafaring tales of a trader with a love of travel also offer insights into the ancient world.
Phoebe
May 08, 2012 Phoebe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juv, classic, adventure
A great way to introduce these stories to kids who can listen to a longer book. Quentin Blake's lively illustrations and John Yeoman's retellings (the two also teamed up for the great Mouse Trouble, one of the funniest picture books around) are a perfect match and the large format is gorgeous. Very nicely done.
Anugrah Nagaich
Jun 28, 2012 Anugrah Nagaich rated it really liked it
Read when I was still young, this story (better than Gulliver's Travels) has the potential for making kids more interested for fiction. Although elders won't enjoy it, but gift this to kids & they'll remember you for a long time.
Cheryl
Retelling. Pretty watercolor illustrations sprinkled throughout the book.
Catherine  Mustread
Fantastical journeys – ferocious trolls, cannibals, giant serpents and much more – told in a straight-forward way as Sinbad accounts for his presumed and near death experiences. Unbelievable but entertaining. Listened to this on B. J. Harrison's Classic Tales Podcast.
Elizabeth Licitra
Jul 19, 2016 Elizabeth Licitra rated it really liked it
I was pretty surprised how much the kids enjoyed this book, read during our study of ancient history. I too, looked forward to real aloud time as I had never heard these adventures. I don't usually enjoy these type of stories.
Meghan
Sep 20, 2015 Meghan rated it liked it
Shelves: children, classics
I listened to this as a book on tape from BJ Harrison's Classic Tales Podcast. I can't recommend this highly enough--he really makes the story come alive in his variety of voices, musical soundtrack, and dedication to the text! It's the type of story that I think kids deserve to hear read to them just as much as adults.

Recommended to: parents wanting a little more adventure in their storytime with the kiddos, podcast or audiobook fans with long commutes, anybody who loves fairy tales
Kelly Nielsen
Apr 22, 2015 Kelly Nielsen rated it liked it
1 part Gulliver, 1 part lost world, 6 parts robinson cruesoe. nothing great, but it predates other stories, so I guess it gets points for originality.
Judy
A very good re-telling of these tales with the usual fabulous fare from Quentin Blake.
Kym Andrew Robinson
Dec 11, 2015 Kym Andrew Robinson rated it really liked it
I really loved this book as a child. A rich and superb adventure.
Coenraad
Jul 03, 2016 Coenraad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boekwurms
A lovely addition to the Penguin 60s set: slightly older and stylishly elegant translations of these stories that one assumes are familiar until one reads them and discovers what they actually contain. If read in one go, like I did, they become too similar; one should show self-discipline and read one per day, as they were told. Timeless narratives.

Hierdie stel verhale omtrent Sindbad se seereise is tydlose stories. Lees hulle egter een per dag, soos hulle vertel is, om die eenselwigheid te verd
Debbie
May 20, 2010 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a book of short stories telling the tale of the 7 voyages of sinbad the sailor. Each voyage is a separate story of between 10-15 pages wth illustration and begins with Sinbad retelling his adventures to friends. This format worked well as a bedtime story as I was able to read one voyage at a time. The perils are a little scary for under 7's and there is alot of death. I found them short enough to hold my kids interest but for me they were too hurried. I never want to set sail from Basra, ...more
MuNnaza TehrEem
Sep 28, 2015 MuNnaza TehrEem marked it as to-read
goodie
Erma Talamante
Oct 23, 2014 Erma Talamante rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s
A wonderful retelling of a classic story, complete with illustrations. This retelling is complete, and teaches the lessons of perseverance, honesty, dedication, and the true wealth in life. Sinbad the Sailor, through his stories, teaches these lessons, as well as the lesson of being content with what you have in life to Sinbad the Porter, a man that he encounters outside his house one day. Lessons that are as import for children, as well as adults.
Daren
This is a slightly different translation from the one in my copy of The Book of One Thousand Nights and One Night,and is of course much shorter.
It is however a great story (or story cycle) in any translation.
Marie
The Seven Voyages of Sinbad is a collection of stories taken from the classic, One Thousand and One Nights. Follow Sinbad on his seven adventures at sea where he will face a sea servant, monstrous birds, a Cyclops, tempests, and numerous shipwrecks.
Nikhil Talwar
Oct 19, 2015 Nikhil Talwar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure
Simply Awesome. No words to describe :)
Randy Daugherty
Feb 21, 2012 Randy Daugherty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This of course was a quick and entertaining read.
A young beggar is invited inside a wonderful mansion. Thinking he is inside some kings palace he finds himself in fron of Sinbad the Sailor, who proceeds to tell him his tale.
Amber
Dec 06, 2011 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the part when it was just one proson that fight for its life.that it was oniy one proson to save there life was the one that made them to the next move and that was the proson that made it thew the big war.
Rebecca Sharp
This is a graphic novel centered around seven vignettes following the sailor, Sinbad. Over the course of his adventures, Sinbad encounters terrifying monsters and glorious treasures with his inept crew.
Thomas
Jul 15, 2012 Thomas rated it liked it
Great book - Abigail Loved it! She wants me to either dig out one of my versions of the Arabian Nights tomorrow or start on The Jungle Book. We'll see what happens.
Vika
Jan 29, 2010 Vika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Entertaining little stories. But what I don't understand is WHY did he go out into the sea SEVEN times, if every time, everyone on the ship died and he barely escaped?!
The illustrations and the story didn't seem to go together well. I love the illustrator's work in other books, but here there was a mismatch.
Nashwa
Feb 29, 2012 Nashwa rated it liked it
OOOOOh my god i was so young ..when my mom started to read that book to me.. it was on fave book that time
Aaron
Mar 11, 2012 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice retelling of Sinbad's seven voyages.
Sarah Sammis
Enjoyable selection.
Beyond the Pages
Beyond the Pages rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Sam Cocum
Sam Cocum marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Xilaya
Xilaya rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2016
  • The Worst Princess
  • Zomo the Rabbit: A Trickster Tale from West Africa
  • The Buddhist Catechism
  • The Land of Green Ginger
  • Rumpole and the younger generation
  • Manners
  • His Majesty, Queen Hatshepsut
  • The Black Monk
  • The Last Slice of Rainbow and Other Stories
  • Anansi and the Magic Stick
  • The Wishing Wand And Other Stories (Enid Blyton's Popular Rewards Series Iv)
  • Tutankhamen's Gift
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...