Dead Write (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #3)

Dead Write (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #3)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  27 reviews
When it comes to solving murder, sometimes the pen can be mightier than the sword ...

Handwriting expert Claudia Rose heads to the Big Apple at the behest of Grusha Olinetsky, the notorious founder of an elite dating service whose members are mysteriously dying. Drawn into the feckless lives of the rich and single, Claudia finds herself in a twisted world of love and lies f...more
Published August 4th 2009 by New American Library (first published July 8th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Write, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Write

Martha Cheves

Dead Write - Review by Martha A. Cheves, Author of Stir, Laugh, Repeat

'His choice of pen had already told Claudia something about him. Even before she began to analyze the handwriting, she knew that he cared about the way things looked, that he had an eye for color and texture. And it was unnecessary for her to read the text of what he had written to understand what the symbolism meant in terms of the movement of the writing across the paper, the spatial arrangement, the writing form.'

Claudia Ro...more
Darcy Odden
This is author Sheila Lowe's third installment in her Forensic Handwriting Series with Claudia Rose, a Los Angeles graphologist or handwriting expert. I had not read the first two books in the series and had no trouble catching up with what had happened in Claudia's past.

Fresh off the heels of a close call with murder, Claudia is invited to New York to analyze handwriting samples for Baroness Grusha Olinetsky, a Russian woman who owns a matchmaking service. Claudia finds herself in the middle of...more
Patricia
Claudia Rose, a handwriting expert, agrees to make an appearance on Hard Evidence, a television shows that airs nationally. Claudia is just leaving the studio when she receives a call on her cell phone from Baroness Grusha Olinetsky. Grusha is requesting that Claudia fly immediately to New York to analyze the handwriting of some of Grusha’s clients in her matchmaking club. Claudia agrees to do the analysis by mail but Grusha is insisting that she must come to New York.

Claudia is reluctant to lea...more
Betty
Dead Write by Sheila Lowe

I have always found forensics of any type interesting and this forensic handwriting mystery did not let me down. Well-formed plot and characters, with suspense building throughout the book. This is the third in the Claudia Rose series by Sheila Lowe, but the first I have read. There are a few hints here and there that bring the reader up to date without going into a lot of repetition for those who have read the previous books.

On the strength of a television interview, Cl...more
Nancy
Enjoyable so far. Recommended by an author friend named Brian Lowe (although no relation to the author, he has met her).

... I finished the book and as much as I'd love to give it a glowing review, I'm afraid I can't. The premise had promise--graphologist Claudia Lowe is summoned from L.A. to New York to help the eccentric owner of an exclusive dating service because clients are dying.

The delivery was disappointing. It just wasn't believable, maybe because a lot of details were glossed over, or...more
Monie
After completing an interview giving her thoughts on the latest misbehaving celebrity, handwriting expert Claudia Rose received a call from a potential new client. Baroness Grusha Olinetsky owner of Elite Introductions would like to hire Claudia to analyze the handwriting of her wealthy clients to ensure good matches.

The Baroness quickly gets Claudia on a plane to New York from California and once she starts reviewing the client files, Claudia sees more than a few red flags that cause her concer...more
Annie Chanse
I received a copy of this book through First Reads giveaways, and I have to say, I'm very glad that I did. Despite the fact that this book is third in a series -- and I haven't read the first two -- I had no trouble falling into the story and understanding what was going on. When I entered the giveaway for the this book, I was terribly ambivalent about being selected as one of the winners because I felt that a book calling itself "A Forensic Handwriting Mystery" had the potential to either be ve...more
VJ
Not realizing this was third in a series, I picked this book up during a whirlwind trip to the library. Fifteen minutes to come up with a handful of readable books isn't much...especially when I normally spend upwards of two hours browsing!

I chose this book because I've been interested in graphology for awhile now. I've always been interested in details. My grandfather was an engineer and every time I see handwriting that resembles his, it invariably belongs to either an engineer or someone who...more
Susan Pettrone
Claudia begins her story, driving at the unbelievable time of pre-dawn, heading for a faux news show where she would be interviewed about handwriting analysis and how it works. True, Claudia was happy she was asked to do this interview but the early morning hour was just not her time. Thankfully the interview was short and Claudia was back in her car and headed towards home in no time.

As she drives, her phone rings. Baroness Grusha Olinestsky, world wide matchmaker to the rich and famous request...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This book was a great change in locations from Los Angeles, CA to New York City, NY. This added an extra dimension to this excellent series.

Although our main sleuth, hand writing expert, Claudia Rose, keeps in touch with all our familiar characters, she bridges over to another new set via the despised charlatan, Andy Nicholson. The new characters are vividly portrayed and immediately you sense Claudia should have stayed home among the palms.

This story revolves around a high-end dating club. Wher...more
Patty
Handwriting analysis Claudia Rose is at it again, fighting crime while doing her day job of checking handwriting submitted by her clients. In this episode Claudia is asked to go to New York (she lives in LA) to consult with a matchmaking agency. While not thrilled with the idea Claudia also needs some space from her lover Jovanic and teenager Annabelle who is now living with her. Baroness Grusha seems to be keeping secrets and the handwriting samples all have some very strange features. When Cla...more
Danie
It was just dead wrong. There had been so much progress in characterization in "Written in Blood". The characters who were supposed to be likable almost were. But this story, in terms of the writing, seems like it was actually written before "Written in Blood".

The story is about a dating service whose clients aren't doing well when it comes to staying alive. Claudia Rose goes to New York City where the service is based, (headed by a quite unique character, I'll give Ms. Lowe that, she doesn't co...more
Sylvia McIvers
What does your handwriting say about you? It’s all about potential, says forensic handwriting expert Claudia Rose. After her short segment on TV, a New York matchmaker calls her up to help screen potential clients.

Then one of said clients turns up dead. And he’s not the first one. Will the handwriting tell the tale? Not really. Handwriting can show that a person has a bad temper, that a person was abused as a child, that a person is a tremendous egotist, or that a person desperately needs others...more
Sara
Not sure which this in the series, which is a problem. What book is first, what book is this? I want to read it in order.

Claudia Rose accepts a positon interpreting client handwriting for an infamous NY matchmaker. The matchmaker herself is odd and no one has even seen her handwriting. Claudia soon discovers some red flags in the files she is given to analyze. And, beyond that Claudia learns that several clients whose files she is reading are dead. Who is the killer and who will be the next vict...more
Sheli Ellsworth
Lowe’s character, Claudia Rose, takes us on a roller-coaster of fast paced twists and turns in this murder mystery. Anyone who has ever considered using a dating service will be fascinated by the science behind it. Set in the elite world of NY matchmaking, clients pay $100K for the services of the esoteric Baroness Grusha Olinestsky. Rose’s own complicated love life is the subplot to her equally complicated one as a professional handwriting analyst. Read it for an engaging weekend in the Big App...more
Stacy
It's quite possible I wasn't in the proper mood for this book, but I really could not get into Dead Write. I've read the previous two books in this series but found that I just didn't care about the characters and could not stomach reading any more dialogue from Grusha. The handwriting analysis part of the story was interesting but after trying to hang in there, I finally gave up less than half way through and flipped to the end to see how it turned out.
Kelly
Unfortunately I had too many questions about why so many different people would confide in a handwriting expert as well as why her matchmaker employer would hire such obviously defective employees that I kept being pulled out of the story. The rationale for the murders was also unbelievable. I did enjoy the factoids about analyzing handwriting however.
Lisa
Fun! Not as good as the 2nd installment, but it was still entertaining. Dragged a bit in the middle, and I felt kept in the dark at the beginning. Ends with a bang! I would love to have my handwriting analyzed!
Karen
i love sheila lowe forensic handwriting series series . i am very interested in forensics. i also have interest in graphology which is what sheila lowes books are all about. they grab my attention from the beginning.
Terry
The third in the Claudia Rose series, Sheila Lowe is coming into her own as a mystery writer. I can't wait for the 4th which she says is finished but not yet published. Keep it up, Sheila.
Ann
This was a gift book but after reading it I will try to find her first 2 (Poison Pen and Written in Blood). I guess I didn't realize how legit being a handwriting analyst is.
Jeanne
And off she goes to NYC--whodunit mixed with forensic handwriting education---I would recommend reading the series in order to get the most enjoyment!
Samantha
This book definitely keeps you guessing and in a thought provoking way.
Rosalee
Enjoyed reading it... Grusha is an interesting character to say the least!
Barbara
Not the best outing in this series.
Christa
The ending seemed rushed.
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • Loot
  • The Shaman's Game
  • The Chinese Alchemist (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #11)
  • You've Got Murder (Turing Hopper, #1)
  • The Silver Ghost (Kelling & Bittersohn, #8)
  • A Killer Collection (A Collectible Mystery, #1)
  • The Thunder Keeper (Wind River Reservation, #7)
Forensic handwriting examiner and author of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Handwriting Analysis, Handwriting of the Famous & Infamous, and Sheila Lowe's Handwriting Analyzer software. Sheila's award-winning mystery series features handwriting expert, Claudia Rose. Poison Pen (that's the title, not the publisher) is the first in the series, followed by Written in Blood, Dead Write, and Last Writ...more
More about Sheila Lowe...
What She Saw Poison Pen (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #1) Written in Blood (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #2) The Complete Idiot's Guide to Handwriting Analysis Last Writes (Forensic Handwriting Mystery, #4)