Start by marking “Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution” as Want to Read:
Preview

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Gittleman delivers the first comprehensive, user-friendly guide that consolidates the latest research with a powerhouse, step-by-step guide to counteract the invisible hazards of everyday electromagnetic exposure from such things as cell phones and Wi-Fi.
Published October 5th 2010 by HarperOne (first published September 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Zapped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zapped

Breasts by Florence   WilliamsExplaining 'Unexplained Illnesses' by Martin L. PallSlow Death by Rubber Duck by Rick SmithThe Orphan Conspiracies by James MorcanGluten Free Slow Cooker by F.L. Clover
Environmental Health
65th out of 175 books — 48 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Help by Kathryn StockettHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingSpellbound in His Arms by Angel SeferThe Highlander by Zoe Saadia
What book should I read next?
207th out of 312 books — 356 voters

More lists with this book...

Jodi
This book provides a reasonable introduction to the idea of reducing the amount of EMFs we are exposed to each day, and how to go about doing so without giving up your computer and your phone and so on. It gives you lots and lots of useful tips on how to reposition electrical items, the best types of items to buy and what to avoid as well as how to use simple devices to measure the radiation in your own home.

This book is well researched and referenced. The first 37 pages outline the theory and s
Will Jeffries
Enlightening information and kind-of fear-based as well - just don't let all this information get to you. My recommendation would be to just buy you a himalayan salt lamp - stick that sucker beside your computer - and you're good. In regard to the cellphone dilemma - you can go to qlink.com and get you one of those q-link mini's and sticker-attach it to your cell phone. Also, I've heard that if you put a wheatgrass plant beside your bed at night - you will breath a lot easier. Anyways, good info ...more
Megan Stokes
Really interesting. I do believe that there are some that are particularly sensitive to electronic pollution (like chemically sensitive people), but I think the majority of us don't need to follow most of the advice in this book. I've since done some things to limit my exposure, but on the whole, some of this stuff goes a bit too far.
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
Zapped - Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution by Ann Louise Gittleman is an informative read about the prevalence and damage that electromagnetic fields (EMF) and electronic pollution and how to mitigate these in the home and at work.

As the title suggests, this encompasses radiation from mobile phones, microwaves and high voltage power poles, all generally accepted by the majority of people to 'not be good for us.'

Howe
Stephanie Gross
Scary. Hard to act on "depriving" oneself of electronics. I appreciated seeing that I'm big on the author's top 21 zap-proof superfoods and seasonings, i.e. artichokes, asparagus, blueberries, cinnamon cranberries, cruciferous vegetables, cumin garlic, grass-fed beef, mushrooms, olive oil pomegranate juice, prunces, red beans, acai, rosemary, turmeric, wild Alaskan salmon, tart cherries, walnuts and yogurt. Wish I could afford organic. Zap-proof minerals are also big in my diet, e.g. calcium, ma ...more
Kimm
Sep 01, 2013 Kimm marked it as started-reading-but-put-on-hold
Spent the day reading Gittleman's book on EMF pollution. Since I'm extremely sensitive to EMFs - there's alot of practical advice in this book for me.

I've never used a microwave and don't have one, rarely use a cell phone (a few times a year maybe) and I don't have a TV. Despite that - as a computer professional with scads of computer equipment running all day long - I am surrounded! :P I'm realizing there's alot more I can do to minimize the stress and disorders that EMFs cause. More about it
Ania
Apr 12, 2012 Ania rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone prudent about their health
Recommended to Ania by: radio show
Here's the basics:
Keep at least 3 feet away from electronics, and walls at night. Eat anti-oxidants, do away with needless electronics, reduce wi-fi exposure, use a landline and floss* :)

*ok so she may not have said floss, but it's still important :D
Kebanek
To alarmist for me. I think the author probably has a point, but this seemed like a very long pop science article.
David
Specious science. Self-promotion. I couldn't get through this book. What a waste.
Brynna
This was an EXCELLENT book. God really convicted me on becoming more aware of my surroundings in efforts to maintain and improve the health of my family, and several months after learning more about EMF's, I picked up this book. I cannot believe I was so unaware of the impact of EMF's for all these years (a basis for SO many other health problems people suffer from anymore!). It makes perfect sense when you consider that the body IS technically "electrical" (after all, we are made up of atoms!), ...more
Diana S
Wow! Very informative information about electronic pollution and how it affects us in our daily lives.
It doesn't scare you, like some articles I've read on the subject. What it does do, is empowers you with the facts and give you ways to conteract the effects that enter our lives.. I really liked the book a lot.
Kay
I have this book for a particular reason. I didn't necessarily like Gittleman's style because her ego got in the way. The book didn't really provide what it promised.
Kalyn
This had lots of information (some of which seems legit and some of which seems pretty cuckoo) so you have to sort through what you think applies to you. I really liked that it had solutions for the hazards and that most of those solutions worked for modern (and even urban) life. After the information dump part, the book felt more like a helpful guide than a "go live in a log cabin in the woods!" alarm bell.
Lizzie
Oct 01, 2010 Lizzie marked it as to-read
First impressions:
I'm alarmed by the title, as I do, in fact, use my cell phone as my alarm clock. I want to know what I'm doing wrong, how it's affecting me, and how on earth does one use a regular plug-in alarm clock? (I'll admit, I'm more concerned by the latter of the three.) It's mildly disconcerting, but my curiosity has been peaked, so now I must read Zapped to find out.
Kim
Good info, but a bit more technical than I wanted. Next step would be to buy/rent a Gauss meter and that is not on the top of my budget list.
Darlene Hull
Great book. Not full of hype and scare tactics, lots of research, and some great, practical ideas for managing exposure in a doable way.
Eli Poteet
Wow! This book made me re think A LOT of my decisions concerning my electronics. I encourage everyone to give it a read.
Catherine Gentry
An important book about an important topic which affects us all.
Sandie
Very informative; pretty easy to read. Scary!
Stephanie Medina
Stephanie Medina marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Unquoted
Unquoted marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Irene
Irene marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Gerardo
Gerardo marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Disconnect: The Truth about Cell Phone Radiation, What the Industry   has Done to Hide It, and How to Protect Your Family
  • The Body Electric: Electromagnetism and the Foundation of Life
  • The Guru in You: A Personalized Program for Rejuvenating Your Body and Soul: Unlock the Powers of Health and Healing Within
  • The HeartMath Solution: The Institute of HeartMath's Revolutionary Program for Engaging the Power of the Heart's Intelligence
  • Earthing: The Most Important Health Discovery Ever?
  • Spiritual Partnership: The Journey to Authentic Power
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • Thanks!: How the New Science of Gratitude Can Make You Happier
  • Twitter for Dummies
  • Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It
  • The Age of Anxiety: A History of America's Turbulent Affair with Tranquilizers
  • The Neuroscience of Change: A Compassion-Based Program for Personal Transformation
  • Designing Gestural Interfaces: Touchscreens and Interactive Devices
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and Science: How to Sort through the Noise Around Global Warming, the Latest Health Claims, and Other Scientific Controversies
  • Could It Be B12?: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses
  • Every Woman's Guide to Foot Pain Relief: The New Science of Healthy Feet
  • Stealing Your Life: The Ultimate Identity Theft Prevention Plan
  • The Gluten Connection: How Gluten Sensitivity May Be Sabotaging Your  Health--And What You Can Do to Take Control Now
Dr. Ann Louise was recognized as one of the top ten nutritionists in the country by Self magazine and was the recipient of the American Medical Writers Association award for excellence.

She was the first to warn of the environmental hazards of parasites in her classic Guess What Came To Dinner? Parasites and Your Health. In Your Body Knows Best, Dr. Ann Louise was the first to discuss the blood typ
More about Ann Louise Gittleman...
The Fat Flush Plan Get the Sugar Out: 501 Simple Ways to Cut the Sugar Out of Any Diet The Fast Track Detox Diet Before the Change: Taking Charge of Your Perimenopause Fat Flush for Life: The Year-Round Super Detox Plan to Boost Your Metabolism and Keep the Weight Off Permanently

“We, and the universe we live in, produce and operate in a sea of natural and unnatural electrical and magnetic fields. The earth, for example, pulses at about 10 Hz, like a small engine. Our bodies, as you may remember from chapter 1, are really electromagnetic machines. We simply can't move a muscle or produce a thought without an electrical impulse - and wherever there is electricity, a magnetic field is also produced, which is why we link the two together into one word: electromagnetic."

Ann Louise Gittleman”