What You Can't Live Without

What You Can't Live Without (Healing Hearts)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  22 reviews
This story contains subject matter that some may find objectionable and is intended for mature readers only.

A flashy car, a trendy apartment, membership at a swanky country club -- Dr. Mitchell Rollins has it all, except someone to share it with. Dr. Arnulfo Oliva doesn't share his materialistic views and has no use for expensive toys. Turning away from all the U.S. has to...more
Published October 15th 2011 (first published September 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about What You Can't Live Without, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What You Can't Live Without

Deeze
Oct 30, 2011 Deeze rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Deeze by: Mistral
Again Eden Winters just brings to life her characters. Such an emotional read for a short story, but even short we get a complete story. Worth reading for anyone looking for a quick love fix.
Blackraven's Reviews
Kalyko’s Review:

I have to admit that upon first acquaintance, Mitchell Rollins wasn’t someone I could care about. But, and I should have known this because Arnulfo loved him, there was more than appeared on the surface.

Nulfo saw behind Mitch’s flashiness, saw what it was that drove the man and he understood. He accepted Mitch for the man he truly was and that was the beginning. But as Dr. Oliva he was determined to do what he had always promised back home. And the good doctor never went back on...more
Kassa
As you no doubt know the Healing Hearts collection is Torquere Press’s charity sip grouping. You can buy the entire set or buy your favorite authors but part of the profits goes to Doctors Without Borders. Thus doctors and medical professions feature in most of the stories. Eden Winters’ offering is a more literal take on charity and features volunteer doctors in El Salvador after a natural disaster.

There’s a twist to the story to the straight forward tale and a moral lesson on materialism. Mit...more
Sadonna
Apr 02, 2012 Sadonna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: free, mm, pdf
Surprising and beautiful short story about what is really important in life. And here's a hint - it's not a sports car! Loved Mitch's growth in this story and a terrific ending.
L-D
Mitchell Rollins is a trendy doctor who seems to be a bit shallow and materialistic. He tries to impress his boyfriend, Dr. Arnulfo Oliva with his clothes and fancy car. Arnulfo is from El Salvador and is not impressed by material goods. This becomes clear when Arnulfo chooses to return to El Salvador to help his people in any way that he can. While Nulfo does not want to leave his boyfriend, he can't ignore his higher calling. Mitch misses Arnulfo, but it really hits home when he hears on the n...more
Tam
Jan 24, 2011 Tam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Mitch is an up and coming Dr. who's happy to live the good life of expensive cars, the opera, lunch at the country club, etc. He's in love with his colleague from El Salvador, Arnulfo. He really doesn't get that Arnulfo drives a rust bucket and sends money home and is crushed when Arnulfo tells him he's returning to El Salvador. When an earthquake strikes, he feels compelled to go find Arnulfo and gets himself roped into volunteering even though his plan is to get Arnulfo and get out. Things nev...more
Ami
Cryselle
This one left me sniffling. But aw. Dr.Mitch has had his expectations slapped around and his needs redefined in terms of what's really important, like what will you carry if that's all you can have. The author did a super job of portraying the beauty and the danger of El Salvador in the earthquake - that all felt very real. "Welcome to my shaky country," she has Dr. Nulfo saying. I felt like I was there, and I bet she's been.

Mitch had a pretty drastic change of heart, but I think his experiences...more
Tamela
Very short story and though it was okay it was hard to like Mitch. He was just so materialistic that it made him seem so shallow. Even when he went searching for Arnulfo it was just to take his away from him home. I like the way the story finally unfolded but that first impression of Mitch was hard to shake. Enjoyed the read.
Mrs Condit & Friends Read Books

This is a great book about the fact that no one is beyond redemption and anyone can discover what it is he or she can’t live without. Life is all about choices and compromises. I very much enjoyed the story and the message behind it.

Chris
Sweet m/m romance about a rich doctor who can't understand why the doctor he desires has chosen to return home to El Salvador to help his family, rather than staying to become rich in the US.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Sweet story about a wealthy doctor learning that what's really important isn't anything you can buy.
Of course certain things were glossed over, but it's a romance and had a nice moral .
Mara Ismine
This medical tale is part of the 2010 Torquere Charity Sip Blitz. A beautifully done tale of personal growth and learning that money and posesssions aren't everything.
Frances McNeal
short and sweet love story about a Mitch realizing what he real wants isn't something you can buy.
Connie
Lovely short story, great message behind it.
Sweet :)
Keith
Beautiful story.
Lady*M
While I usually love author's stories and, especially, her characters, I had trouble connecting to Mitch and Arnulfo. One is a shallow, spoiled, privileged prick, the other - nearly a saint. They were both extreme in their own way and that didn't work well for me in a short story. The length of the story is probably a reason for their simplicity, but I really wanted more depth in both characters. It also struck me that these two intelligent men never made any real attempt to solve the difference...more
Kazza
A sweet, short story with meaning.

Mitch is the doctor with material possessions and shallow views. Arnulfo is the doctor with humanitarian views and a love-is-enough attitude.

Nulfo returns to his roots in El Salvadore to help his people and give back. Mitch is upset, as he loves Nulfo, but tends to love his creature comforts a bit more. Several weeks later a 7.8 earthquake rocks El Savadore, Mitch decides to go find Nulfo. Nulfo is found, Mitch sees another side to the world, and perspective's c...more
Eyre
This was a fantastic, free read. It has a humanitarian and a child, so of course I liked it. :)
dx
Feb 27, 2012 dx rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: have
2.5
Tsubaki
Tsubaki marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Hustler
  • Playing Doctor  (Catalyst, #1.5)
  • Outfoxed (Glitter Fox, #1)
  • Go Fish
  • Wishing on a Blue Star
  • Jungle Heat
  • Blindsided
  • The Fix (Whitetail Rock, #2)
  • Beneath the Neon Moon
  • Another Little Secret (Sandpipers, #1.5)
  • Home Port
  • His Grandfather's Watch
  • Chains
  • Lucky Boy
  • When I Say When
  • Keeper's Pledge (Midwinter Manor, #2)
  • Starting Over
  • Predators (Love is Always Write)
I'm a down home country girl and avid reader who made the leap to author. I enjoy great books, great friends, and lively discussions.

More about Eden Winters...
Diversion (Diversion, #1) The Angel of 13th Street The Telling (The Telling, #1) The Sentinel Settling the Score