Start by marking “Jenny Pox (The Paranormals, #1)” as Want to Read:
Jenny Pox (The Paranormals, #1)

Jenny Pox (The Paranormals #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  6,034 ratings  ·  852 reviews
Eighteen-year-old Jenny Morton has a horrific secret: her touch spreads a deadly supernatural plague, the "Jenny pox." She lives by a single rule: Never touch anyone. A lifetime of avoiding any physical contact with others has made her isolated and painfully lonely in her small rural town.

Then she meets the one boy she can touch. Jenny feels herself falling for Seth...but
Published July 22nd 2010

To ask other readers questions about Jenny Pox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jenny Pox

My Blood Approves by Amanda HockingSwitched by Amanda HockingThe Darkest Frost, Vol 1 of 2 by Tanya HolmesAngelfall by Susan EeFalling From Grace by S.L. Naeole
Indie Books - Paranormal Fiction
23rd out of 2,154 books — 2,941 voters
The Undying by Ronnell D. PorterSomething Wicked by C.J. BakerDemon Girl by Penelope FletcherSpiderwork by L.K. RigelBetrayal by Mayandree Michel
Indie Books - Paranormal Cover Love
36th out of 377 books — 780 voters

More lists with this book...

Giselle
When I first came upon this book months ago, I thought it was a paranormal romance based on the few reviews I had read. It's only recently that I was told it's actually more horror, comparable to Carrie, and aimed at 18+. This brought it right up my reading list because I love horror novels, Carrie was one of my favorite movies, and this premise screams at me (really!)! As promised, Jenny Pox is horrifically awesome with a deadly touch, a sweet romance, and a brilliantly wicked villain!

Jenny has
Amanda Hocking
It's like Stephen King's "Carrie" meets Alyson Noel's "Evermore," but it's not like that either, and it's much better than "Evermore." I'd even go so far as to say it's better than "Carrie." It's Mean Girls, and YA, and romance, but it's much more than the sum of it's parts. It tells a story that feels real and honest without falling into the cliches of any of the genres. It does the things you WISH would happen in other books.

The point is: You should read this book.
Raeleen Lemay
Okay, this book was SO CRAZY. It kept me interested all the way through, and I THOROUGHLY enjoyed it.
It was such a creepy, sexy, haunting, thrilling, romantic, emotional book, and I can't wait to read the sequel (even though I don't know what it could possibly be about, so many insane things happened in this book, I don't know what more there could be! I guess I'll have to wait and see)

This book made me do all sorts of crazy things:

and by the end I was like
Katrina Passick Lumsden
What's this? A man writing paranormal YA better than a woman can? I'm shocked. Shocked!

I really hope you can pick up on my sarcasm, because I'm attempting to lay it on pretty thick.

Let's see, did this book have all the requirements for paranormal YA?

Paranormal phenomena - check

Outcast protagonist - check

Hunky romantic interest - check

Vile villain - check

Looks like J.L. Bryan covered all the bases. To sweeten the deal, however, he threw in a few more bases we aren't normally treated to, the big
Katie(babs)
Jenny Pox by J.L. Bryan is a self-published young adult that has a great deal of buzz behind it, so much so that Amanda Hocking has praised the book. I also have seen many positive reviews of this book on the blogs I visit. With that in mind, I purchased a copy of Jenny Pox, expecting to read greatness. Unfortunately disappointing isn’t a good enough word to describe Jenny Pox.

Jenny Pox suffers from an incredible concept that cannot deliver, as well as a major lack of depth, one-dimensional cha
Darkfallen
I have been wanting to read this series for a while. Everyone around me loved it...couldn't get enough of it. So when I started this I was beyond excited to sink my teeth into this book!

Unfortunately...it kind of stopped there. I have to say, for me, this is really more of a 2.5 stars. It's better than a 2, but not quite a 3. And if I am being perfectly honest with you, there were times when I just didn't want to finish.

So let me tell you why...

I think this book could have been a piece of awesom
Wendy Darling
Fantastic opening, fast-paced story...but gets a little nuts at towards the end. The sex is probably a little more explicit than it needs to be for YA, too.
Rhiannon Frater
Where do I start? I guess with "WOW!!!"

I'm wasn't too sure what to expect from this book. It was highly recommended by the Bookish Brunette Blog and I was intrigued by the premise. There is a glut of books out there with teenagers with special powers, so I was a little leery. But this novel is something altogether different and refreshing.

I would not define it as a young adult novel, or paranormal romance in any way. I wouldn't call it Urban Fantasy either. Honestly, it reminded me of Stephen K
Stacey Benefiel
All sorts of people recommended this book to me-friends, writers, book bloggers, people on Goodreads. I have no idea what took me so long to finally get to it, because it is just the kind of book I like. I couldn't read Jenny Pox fast enough!
This book is a lot of different things, not just another YA paranormal/supernatural romance. There are plenty of grusome images and vivid descriptions to delight a horror lover, plenty of high school antics and cliqueishness for people who like contemporary
Jessica
Ugh, I really wish I had the time for writing a proper review for this but I just don’t. So the following will have to do:

This was so different from everything I’ve read recently. Interesting concept, some cute romance and surprising twists and turns. Whenever I thought I had it figured out the story would go in an entirely different direction and I would have never in a million years guessed how everything played out in the end.

I definitely recommend this, though I want to warn you that some of
Christine
I already stated in the interview with Jeff Bryan yesterday that this book really managed to surprise me. When I started reading, I expected a girl-meets-boy YA book with paranormal touch. Turns out I was wrong.

Jenny Pox tells a powerful and intense story of an outsider who has to struggle to live with her horrible power. It begins with a very disturbing scene introducing Jenny as toddler playing with a snake and killing her with her touch. Its disturbing because even if shes so small, Jenny is
Ariana

The beginning was absolutely fantastic with the girl realizing for the very first time how deadly her touch was, but after that it didn't hold my attention for too long (even though I read 50% of it). I have many complains (plot, characters, dialog, etc), but I am not in the mood to talk about them.

If you have it on your to-read list, you should give it a try, it might work for you better :)

PS: the ebook might still be $0.00 on Amazon.

Image source

____________________________________________

Blog
Tina
1.5 stars. The first chapter should have been the whole book, left it as an AMAZING creepy little short story. I would have given it 5 stars then, but no...it just kept going on and on and on and on and...well you get the idea. It starts with a weird little girl who kills anyone she touches. Then we meet the class cool girl, who cliche enough is a complete B, who likes to be in charge of everything and everyone. Oh ya and the cool girl she likes to drug people without them knowing and start orgi ...more
Heidi
“Four stars: An anxiety packed book that culminates with a terrifying end!

Jenny is an unusual girl. No one can touch her skin or they will become infected with a deadly pox and die if they are overly exposed. Her mother died during her birth and her father does the best he can, but never being able to touch someone without fear is a lonely existence. Jenny somehow manages to muster through school by ducking her head and remaining aloof, until an incident on the playground in first grade. Jenny t
Sally Slater
I read this book when I was in search of some lighter fare in the young adult genre, which was probably mistake #1. I had seen Jenny Pox pop up in the same lists as some of my favorite YA books like the Hunger Games and the Mortal Instruments series.

I finished this book...and all I have to say is, well, gross.

It's hard to enjoy a book when every single character is unsympathetic. Jenny suffers from what I like to call Twilight-syndrome - she's a female with no spine and zero personality, and I c
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
When I was a teenager, I constantly wanted to go to the R rated horror movies. My friends and I would sneak in and loved every minute of it. Usually the movie consisted of teenagers dealing with some evil entity/ creature/evil mad man, lots of gratuitous sex, and drugs (usually lots of alcohol or weed). We would cover our eyes at the scary part, act as if we were not staring at the sex parts, and were overly curious on the drug parts. This book could easily be made into one of the horror movies ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Jenny Morton cannot touch anyone - because the moment she does, the other person breaks out in lesions. Her birth caused the death of her mother; an incident at elementary school scars her forever as "Jenny Pox".

Fast forward to high school. Jenny just tries to make it through a school day and avoid nemesis, Ashleigh Gooding. But she can't keep her eyes off Ashleigh's hot boyfriend, Seth. And then through tragic circumstances, Jenny and Seth meet...

I liked bits and pieces of this a lot, and prett
Karina Halle
That was fucking ridiculous.

Yet, I still liked it.

*Thoughts to come at a normal hour*

12 hours later....

OK. It's kind of a normal hour.

So let's start out by saying I liked this book. I'd actually give the first half of it 5 stars and the second half 2 stars...evens out to be about 3.5 stars. Or something. Still too early for math.

But, you know, that's quite a large jump from 5 stars to 2. So let me explain what the hell happened:

Things I liked (nee, LOVED) about the first half of the book

- Jenny
Tamara Rose Blodgett
I was expecting less-than-nothing from this book and got a book that distracted me from doing my chores! This is definitely a mature young adult read and I recommend it to the 16+ crowd. Parents that are concerned with realistic but mature themes should read this book first or disallow younger teens from reading it. That said, it is not a gratuitous read and was well done and insightful from the perspective of the teenage mind.

The story centers around Jenny and grabs a reader from page one. We
Bèbè ✦ the Ryski  ✦
Overall Score: 4 Stars

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS REVIEW MAY INCLUDE SOME SPOILERS

“Will you keep me safe?” she whispered.
”I promise.”
”Then I’ll go anywhere with you.”

photo tumblr_mjsgpvWgnS1rlct59o1_500_zps0ccb6974.gif

SUMMARY. Jenny Morton has lived her whole life in fear of hurting someone. If someone touches her, they will have the “Jenny Pox”, a term that kids her age made up in kindergarten where she had her first “accident”. Jenny Pox is like a plague that spreads through a person’s body and if she pushes the energy hard enough, she can even kill
Purr More, Censor Less
Do you hear that slurping sound? That's me…getting sucked into this book.

The three main characters in this story are Jenny, Seth, and Ashleigh. Each wields a different supernatural power. At first they don't know this about each other but soon they discover each other's secret. Jenny and Seth just want a normal life, but Ashleigh has other plans. Their lives are intertwined more than they realize and eventually Ashleigh's evil intentions are discovered. Jenny and Seth are the only ones who can s
Lori
I picked this up after reading Tamara Rose Blodgett's fantastic review of the book. So glad I did. It was fabulous. From the first to last page I was sucked into Jenny's story.
Jenny is inflicted with a curse that causes people to break out into the plague whenever she touches them. I would love to say that she tries to lead a "normal" life but she doesn't. How could she even attempt to. She goes on because she knows her dad (her only family) needs her. Not only can she never touch anyone, she is
Squee
This story started out promising, but somewhere along the line it devolved into a weird combination of standard YA contrived romance and an attempt to gross out the reader.

Jenny begins as a sympathetic character, and her characterization and backstory are genuinely touching at times. In addition to her inability to touch others without hurting or killing them, she's the poor girl in a town where most of the people seem fairly well-off. Her father is a drunk and her mother, predictably, is dead.
Loretta
You know after you hear about some one rave & rave & rave about how good a book is, and you just feel like you HAVE to buy it. That is what happened with me. I heard it was horrific yet beautiful. So I added it to my October TBR. After I started this book I found it very hard to stop reading it. I literally made the *robot voice* on the Kindle read to me. So I could walk around with it all day. Really.
I had never heard of Jenny Pox before. But, I tell you what I will never forget her. I
Joy
Ugh, awful on so many levels. Utterly unbelievable plot points (even after adjusting for the fact this is paranormal fiction). The author drew antagonists that were stereotypical cartoon caricatures of Christians (and I couldn't help but wonder if I saw little bias seeping through). But the worst of all was all the adult content masquerading as a YA book.

It's always a shame when a book with such a great premise winds up being a dud, but take my word for it, the best part of this novel was the bl
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I can't even rate this book because I am still up in arms about it. Some parts I liked and some...some were just a little too strange for me. Overall I just don't think this was a book for me. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either.
Robert Duperre
Rating: 4.9 out of 5

The teen years. A time of awkwardness and confusion, of inner turmoil and the search for one’s self. Throw into this the pressures of school, the chaos of personal and family relations, and the conflicting messages when discovering of one’s own sexuality, and the stress multiplies. This is hard enough on a normal child, but imagine being someone who has a problem – a real problem such as a deformity, mental handicap, or social deficiency. Then the stress involved with simply
Splash Of Our Worlds *Yiota*
When i saw how many good reviews Jenny Pox had, i thought it would be a good idea to try it as well. Unfortunately, it was not what i was expecting.

The writing style us simple but still alive, and every scene you read is close to you and you can feel the scenes and the atmosphere like you are other. The main story idea with the girl who couldn't touch anyone and the various secrets powers that exist while it's ordinary, it flows in different and really original way which make the story really di
Ashley - The Bookish Brunette
Oh my god... WOW! I had known that I had wanted to read Jenny Pox since Jenny, from Supernatural Snark reviewed it a couple of months ago. What I hadn't known was how much I was absolutely going to freaking LOVE it!

As book bloggers we go into every book we read, hoping to find the next "ONE". You know what I mean... The next "one" that makes you smile when you think about one of the characters, a book that moves you to tears, a book that causes you to spontaneously burst into laughter, a book th
  • Glimpse (Zellie Wells, #1)
  • Initiate (The Unfinished Song, #1)
  • Into the Shadows (Into the Shadows, #1)
  • The Emerald Talisman (Talisman, #1)
  • The Pearl Savage (Savage, #1)
  • Anathema (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #1)
  • Pyxis: The Discovery (Pyxis, #1)
  • A Chance for Charity (The Immortal Ones, #1)
  • Sojourner (Sojourner, #1)
  • Breathless (Jason and Azazel, #1)
  • Impulse Control (Talent Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Tempest (Destroyers, #1)
  • Scary Mary (Scary Mary, #1)
  • Awakening (The Watchers, #1)
  • Insight
  • Stained (Stained, #1)
  • Meeting Destiny (Destiny, #1)
  • Anathema (Causal Enchantment, #1)
J.L. Bryan studied English literature at the University of Georgia and at Oxford, with a focus on English Renaissance and Romantic literature. He also studied screenwriting at UCLA. He lives in the metro Atlanta sprawl with his wife Christina, where he spends most of his day serving the toddler and animal community inside his house. He is the author of the Paranormals series and the Songs of Magic ...more
More about J.L. Bryan...

The Paranormals (5 books)
  • Tommy Nightmare (The Paranormals, #2)
  • Alexander Death (The Paranormals, #3)
  • Jenny Plague-Bringer (The Paranormals, #4)
  • The Paranormals (The Paranormals #1- #4)
Tommy Nightmare (The Paranormals, #2) Alexander Death (The Paranormals, #3) Jenny Plague-Bringer (The Paranormals, #4) Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #1) Fairy Metal Thunder (Songs of Magic, #1)

“Let’s try it,” he said.
“This is serious,” she said. “You could get hurt. Or die.”
“But if we can touch, that means we can make out, right?” he asked.
“Maybe.”
“You want me to risk my life for maybe?” He grinned.”
23 likes
“Will you keep me safe?” she whispered.
”I promise.”
”Then I’ll go anywhere with you.”
12 likes