By Hook or by Crook (Crochet Mystery, #3)

By Hook or by Crook (Crochet Mystery #3)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  439 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Meet the happy crafter who believes every mystery should be unraveled. Meet the happy crafter who believes every mystery should be unraveled. Molly Pink's crochet group has a new mystery on their hands when they find a paper bag that contains a note that speaks of remorse, a diary entry of the sorrow of parting, and a complicated piece of filet crochet that offers an obscu...more
Published June 2nd 2009 by Berkley Prime Crime (first published April 16th 2009)

paperdollmom
This was a cute, fluffy read. I've been searching for some mystery books that don't necessarily revolve around a murder, leaves out any and all gory details, and is not filled with sex . This is book really fits what I've been searching for, with a lot of absurdity thrown in as well.

This is, of course, a murder mystery, but that is not really the mystery the book focuses on. There is a crochet group that meets frequently (it seems daily) in a bookstore where Molly Pink works. The characters in t...more
Melissa
Another cozy mystery, and as such, very cozy! But not wildly entertaining at the same time. I found this to be a good, but average book.

Molly and her crotchet group seem to find themselves in the middle of investigations all the time. Or at least Molly does. So when a mysterious filet crochet piece shows up at a fundraiser they're doing, with an even more mysterious letter, its hard to tell whats going on. But then the one person they think it leads to winds up dead and its up to Molly to figure...more
BooksnWool
This series is very enjoyable, a cut above many of the other cozy craft mysteries I've read which tend to be over-sweet, or compensate by adding too much gruesomeness / sex etc. Molly is a nice woman (OK a lot nicer than most of use probably are) but behaves in a believable fashion -- most of the time! The other characters are engaging and speak and act like real people. Even the obligatory celeb has a reason to be there, after all, this is LA. I also like that she only works in the shop and doe...more
I picked up the first four books of the series at the library.

I was kind of excited to see a book with filet crochet as a theme. When I was a teen, filet was my favorite form of crochet. I haven't done any thread crochet, though, since I was in my early 30s. I hoped this book would inspire me to pick up my small steel hooks again.

It didn't.

I really feel the sleuth was part of the problem. She kept the cops from solving the mystery with her interference. She was just a pain.

I don't know what Maso...more
Betty Silvia
While I'm still thrilled to have crochet "woven in" to this book series, this tale was unbelievable. I could not believe that Molly would do the things that she does (break into a house for example) to ease her curiosity about a piece of crochet. I was hoping she would spend the night in jail for acting stupid.

There are some funny scenes at the bookstore however, and the Tarzana Hookers are becoming like old friends. This story was predictable because the newcomers to the group were both "invol...more
Liora
For me, this 3rd installment of the Crochet Mystery series by Betty Hechtman was the best so far. The mystery was intriguing and the clues in the filet crochet piece were a unique twist. I also liked the connection and foray into Catalina Island which I remember from my own childhood. There was quite a bit less of the bookstore crochet group and talk about learning how to crochet, but crochet was still central to the plot of the story. I did get tired of her mother and the She La Las, however, a...more
Michele
I'm sorry that this book is so bad because it sounded interesting but none of the characters make sense to me, especially Molly. I like the amateur sleuth genre, but there has to be some reason for the person to get involved in a mystery. Finding a paper bag of stuff belonging to someone who later dies is not a believable reason for a stranger to go on a quest to right this wrong in my opinion. Plus, Molly allows all sorts of behavior that is just plain annoying. If her co-worker addressing her...more
Judy Iliff
This really is a fun series. Adele drives me nuts. She's supposedly in her 40s, I think, but she must have had arrested development somewhere along the way because she reminds me of my former sophomore high school students!

This time Molly Pink and Tarzana Hookers get involved in a mystery when someone leaves a brown bag on their table at an outdoor show/fair. Inside they find an unfinished letter that speaks of remorse, a diary entry that speaks loss, and a beautiful piece of filet crochet that...more
Carol
I am definitely liking these books better. This third book takes us to Catalina to explain clues in a piece of filet crochet. The plot was intricate and interesting. It is amazing how easily cozy mystery heroes break and enter into private places! There is only one character I really don't like but we are not supposed to like Adele, so I guess that the author is successful. The characters are getting more fleshed out as the series continues. If that were not the case, I would not continue readin...more
Mrspam4ever
It was a easy read with very likable characters.
Becky
I struggled to finish this one.
Christine
Until the end, this was gonna be a three-star all the way, not really even sure if I'll keep up with the series kind of book. I've been annoyed with Adele as a character since the beginning, because she's so one-dimensional and completely ridiculous. I mean, seriously--how could she even survive in the world when all she does is annoy everyone pretty much on purpose? And then the mom--really, selfish diva mom is the best we could do? BUT...it all turns around in the end. Excellent.
Pat Trezza
I am loving this series... On to the next one!!
Belinda
If I have a true character flaw, it is my weakness for craft-themed murder mysteries.

This book is fine - it's cozy, it contains many references to yarn and crochet and an implausible murder-solving effort by a bunch of people who should not be involved in solving mysteries at all. It's Comfort Reading and my equivalent of Cadbury Dairy Milk chocolate with far fewer calories - makes me feel better without leaving a unpleasant aftertaste but forgotten very shortly after finishing.
Snap
I am enjoying the Crochet Mysteries perhaps because Molly Pink is an older protagonist and not a sweet young thing. I'm also getting to know the characters and there are some real characters around Molly. Molly works in a book store (always fun) and a crochet group meets there. Molly is really quite good at getting tangled up in murder and crochet. Filet crochet is the star in By Hook or By Crook along with California Noodle Pudding and Molly's mother's singing group.
Vicki Cline
While cleaning up after a Tarzana Hookers charity sale, Molly finds a bag containing a panel made up of several filet crochet pieces, along with a note and an old diary page. She tracks down the person who left the bag, only to find that the woman has just been killed. Of course, she has to solve the crime, at no little peril to herself. She's also having man trouble, which seems to be continuing throughout the series.
Susan
Bookstore event coordinator and ardent crocheter Molly Pink finds a bag containing a mysterious message and a piece of filet crochet at a charity event. She and her friends are determined to find out what it all means, even after a woman dies. Widowed Molly is also torn between (at least) two men, and subjected to the pressures of her visiting parents, who don't know that she sleuths in her spare time.
Toni berkshire
I have been searching for a mystery that featured crochet work and this one was just what I wanted. It fit what I was looking for so perfectly, that I can't begin to be objective about the quality of the plot, writing or anything else. It just made me happy and I learned a little about filet crochet, which was new to me and quite about about Catalina Island. Will be looking for more by this author.
Carol
I probably won't read any more of this series. I'm not fond of the characters. The main character does too many stupid things - too much breaking and entering for me, sorry. She deserved to be thrown in jail. And Adele is just plain nasty, no redeeming qualities. Also, as a crocheter and knitter, I don't like all the anti-knitting sentiment.
Linda
An excellent who-done-it with lots of mysterious clues...great story telling with interesting characters. I had planned to vary my reading, as usual, by switching to another author for my next read but By Hook or by Crook left me wondering what the next installment holds so I'll continue with this series. I really enjoy this author's work.
Sue
Why can't I stop reading these silly mysteries?? really they are kinda cheesy, but for some reason I can't stop!
I guess like I saw someone say, the are just kinda "cozy" . they make me want to be free to run around town doing whatever strikes my fancy while working at a bookstore and occasionally crochet...and oh yeah solve a murder...
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I really enjoyed this book. The characters are really beginning to fill our and the location was Catalina Island which I am quite fond of.

The mystery was indeed a mystery. It was a murder but for reasons that you have no idea until the ending.

Then there are directions for a crocheted "Cuddle Blanket" which I have the urge to create now.

Melissa
This book was a bit more disappointing than the first book I read (Dead Men Don't Crochet) where I had the main idea of the mystery figured out from the start so I was frustrated while reading wanting the characters to get the message quickly. It was okay but I'm not sure if I'll continue reading this series.
Diane
Okay, maybe I shouldn't have read the first three books in this series one right after the other, because now I've definitely had my fill of Molly Pink for a while. Can we say TEDIOUS? Who gets that involved in something that isn't even any of her business?? Risking life and freedom??? Pllleeeeease!
Heather Truckenmiller
I'm not sure why I finished this entire series this week-end, they are really not that good.. but lately I've read a lot that wasn't that good, and these were at least a safe not good choice! LOL! These are not horrible books, they are very silly, but not funny, cozy mysteries.

Chris
This book does not have the feel good sisterhood feeling of the quilting and knitting group books I've read. These ladies are catty and unkind to each other. The mystery go interesting after the first half, but the characters are so unlikeable that I just didn't get into it.
Babs
I can not get past chapter 6. I was looking forward to a new author and a new series, but this is NOT it. The characters are unbelievable and strange all at the same time and the story does not make sense. I might pick it back up later on if I am that bored.
Meredith
I finally finished the book. After long waits for the book on Interlibrary loan and no renewals. Well, believe you me it was worth the wait. This book will have you on the edge of your chair upto the very end. Hang in and enjoy the ride!
Deb
The 3rd book in the series seemed to be put together better, though why is it with these types of books what appears to be reasonably intelligent woman still lack a backbone when it comes to men and just good common sense all round.

Karen
3rd book in the series, pretty contrived story, brings in filet crochet, recipe is noodle pudding. Features Molly Pink, bookstore event coordinator who always manages to get involved in a murder.
  • Pinned for Murder (A Southern Sewing Circle, #3)
  • Stitch Me Deadly (An Embroidery Mystery, #2)
  • Sins and Needles (A Needlecraft Mystery, #10)
  • Dyer Consequences (A Knitting Mystery, # 5)
  • Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3)
  • Casket Case (A Callie Parrish Mystery #3)
  • Trouble in Bloom (Nina Quinn, #4)
  • Death Takes the Cake (A Della Cooks Mystery #2)
  • Murder Most Maine (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #3)
  • Ghastly Glass
  • Spin a Wicked Web (Home Crafting Mystery, #3)
  • Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode, #2)
I grew up on the south side of Chicago and in a very busy weekend, got married, graduated college and moved to Los Angeles.

Although my degree is in Fine Arts, all I ever wanted to be was a writer and I've been doing it in one form or another for as long as I can remember. My shining moments in elementary and high school always involved stories or poetry I'd written. I wrote news stories and a week...more
More about Betty Hechtman...
Hooked on Murder (Crochet Mystery, #1) Dead Men Don't Crochet (Crochet Mystery, #2) A Stitch in Crime (Crochet Mystery, #4) You Better Knot Die (Crochet Mystery, #5) Behind the Seams (Crochet Mystery, #6)