Start by marking “Look Out Kindergarten, Here I Come” as Want to Read:
Look Out Kindergarten, Here I Come

Look Out Kindergarten, Here I Come (Henry)

The first day of kindergarten is finally here, and Henry can't wait to paint pictures, sing songs, and practice counting. When he gets to school, though, he's not so sure he's ready for kindergarten. But before long Henry discovers that the only thing he's not ready for is how much fun he's going to have at school! This gently humorous, encouraging story will give children ...more
Published July 9th 2001 by Puffin Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Look Out Kindergarten, Here I Come, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Look Out Kindergarten, Here I Come

Jeff
Mar 12, 2016 Jeff rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I came close to giving this book, but in the end, I chose not to. "Look Out Kindergarten, Here I Come" is a terrific book for children ages 4-5, approaching school-age (kindergarten). To me, there were just a couple flaws I felt scaled back my 4.5-5 rating down to a 4.

First, the good, this book delivers a quality, well-rounded story for children who are in their final year of preschool or simply weeks or months away from their first day of kindergarten. The books explores common themes, concerns
Lauren Wood
Sep 29, 2016 Lauren Wood rated it liked it
Shelves: el230
This was a cute book about what a child might experience on the first day of Kindergarten. I would only use this book for Kindergarten because any other grade could not relate to it. This book is easy to understand and students would benefit most from it if a teacher read out loud to them.
Elsie
Look Out Kindergarten, Here I Come was published in 1999, but I really thought this book was a good ice breaker. I know this assignment is to find books to read to future students and trying to plan what to do before, during, and after reading. This book was excellent because it is what every student will feel when going to their first day of school. Henry is the main character and he cannot wait for his first day of kindergarten. All morning he was so ready to go, but his mother kept repeating, ...more
Jenna Jeffries
The first day of school can be exciting yet nerve-wracking for many students. Look Out Kindergarten, Here I Come! is a picture book written in third person by Nancy Carlson. Carlson writes about Henry and his adventure getting ready for his first day of kindergarten. His journey starts with his mother, who guides him through the morning. All of the morning basics are covered – brushing Henry’s teeth and getting him dressed, eating breakfast, and packing his school supplies in his backpack. On ...more
Erika Bowen
Nov 01, 2016 Erika Bowen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
1. Book Summary in your own words
Henry is looking forward to starting kindergarten. But he is not sure if he wants to stay when he first arrives. There are new people he does not know. His parents and teacher show him the many different things there are to do and he feels better.
2. Grade level, interest level, lexile
Grade K
3. Appropriate classroom use (subject area)
“Self-Esteem” and “Back to School”
4. Individual students who might benefit from reading
Students who have difficulty starting a new s
Amanda
Sep 19, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud-book
This is a great book to read aloud on the first day of kindergarten. Many students feel excited about starting school, but many students also worry and have fears about the first day of school. This book is a great transitional book to help students ease their minds about starting kindergarten. This story is about Henry, a little mouse, on his first day of Kindergarten. Henry gets ready for school and very excited to go. On the way to school, Henry asks his mom about what will happen in ...more
Laura Verret
Over the months since I moved to Tennessee I’ve found gobs of picture books which were mailed out as part of Dolly Parton’s “Imagination Library”, a program designed to provide reading material for young children. This book tearfully explains that it is the last book in said series and bids a fond farewell to its readers as they head off to their first year in school.

This sending off / preparation for kindergarten seems the exclusive purpose of Look Out Kindergarten. It features a little mouse n
Tiffany
Sep 05, 2012 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-books
Genre: PB2

My son started Kindergarten this year and I wanted books to help with the transition to school. This book is a great story for all new students. It is an easy read that keeps children drawn into the story with its colorful pictures and ideas that are drawn. I like that the story has interesting facts on how kids adjust to school, leaving home and their family and how kids see the new life of school. I related to this story all too well from my own children's experiences and can see how
Mariah Olson
Oct 03, 2013 Mariah Olson rated it really liked it
I believe this is the perfect book for preschoolers and kindergarteners to read because children get excited when they can relate to the book and make connections between their lives and the story. It's such a cute story about a baby mouse waking up and getting ready to go to his first day of kindergarten and he's so excited for school that he keeps forgetting important things he has to do first and his mother has to remind him. Once he gets to school, he isn't so sure about staying but he ...more
Rita Date
Dec 03, 2013 Rita Date rated it it was amazing
Look out Kindergarten, here I come is about a mouse that is entering Kindergarten for his first time. This book stood out to me because of the detailed drawings and events that Henry the mouse goes through. I got the chance to read this story in a education class this semester and I thought it would be great to show to Kindergarten students. Many kids often get very nervous about going to kindergarten so I thought this book would be a good transition tool to ease the students into the first day ...more
Kelly Thevenot
Sep 04, 2011 Kelly Thevenot rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Look out Kindergarten, Here I come is a book that could help get children ready for school. It is about a mouse who is so excited to start Kindergarten. He wakes up and starts his morning routine, eats a good breakfast and walks to school with his mother. Along the way he starts getting nervous and asks a lot of questions. When they arrive at school he starts crying and wants to go home. His teacher introduces him to some of the children and all the fun things in the classroom. Then he is ...more
McKenna Crimmins
Feb 11, 2015 McKenna Crimmins rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect book to read to a group of preschoolers who might be nervous about moving up and being in a new classroom. It's showing them that everybody gets nervous about being around new faces and having a new teacher, but if you try and find the things that you already know and you are comfortable with, the whole new thing isn't quite so scary! It relates to pretty much all students who are going to be doing something new, and you could relate to other things as well, not just school, ...more
Megan
Apr 24, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it
This book is great for the first day of school. It is about a mouse who is excited for school until he is on the way. He gets really nervous and scared until his teacher let him meet some nice friends and shows him around the cool classroom. This is a great book to read the first day of school to let children know it is normal to feel scared. Also this could be an introduction to show the student all the neat things in my classroom.
Logan Walker
This is a great book that could help get children ready for school. It is about a mouse who is so excited to start Kindergarten. He wakes up and starts his morning routine, and begins to ask a lot of questions on the way to school. He cries and cries until he finally meets his teacher. His teacher shows him all the fun things they will be doing and all the fun kids in the class with him. He then is ready to go to Kindergarten!
Paula Heller
This is an awesome book for Pre-k students getting ready to enter kindergarten. Children will have an easy time relating to the main character in the book, because they too will be going through the same things as the little mouse in the story. This book will help prepare your child to enter into the next grade; they will get a taste of what goes on when they move up. It teaches them not to be afraid and the kinds of activities they will be doing.
Monae
Jun 30, 2014 Monae rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peer-instructor
If I had a that child that was preparing for kindergarten and afraid to start school, this would be a perfect book to read. This book is based on everyday life experiences and children go through this all the time. Children fear new things/places. After seeing/reading what the boy went through and seeing how he conquered his fears it may make a child feel a lot better. Books that are more relatable are good reads especially for young kids.
Sarah Jost
Feb 20, 2015 Sarah Jost rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Look Out Kindergarten, Here I Come! is a book that would be great for the first day in a kindergarten classroom setting. So many kids, especially at that age, are terrified of walking into a classroom full of so many unknowns-new setting, people, teacher, and often times new concepts. This book will help put kids at ease and it also gives an insight to what kindergarten is all about-counting, ABCs, making new friends, reading, etc.
Elizabeth Brown
This book was okay. I kind of thought it was a little lengthy. However, it is a perfect book to read to children who are transitioning from preschool to kindergarten. I would also use this book for an art activity. For example, I could have the children draw or paint what they think kindergarten will be like and/ or how they feel about going to kindergarten. I could address their concerns to make the transition as easy as possible.
Rosa Cline
Feb 15, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rosa by: Dolly Parton Imagination Library
This is a really nice 'get ready' for school book. It covers all the excitement of the first day from the time he gets up out of bed to leaving the house, to getting to school, etc. How he's a bit anxious but things are okay after he makes friends. A good book to read to your little one to reassure them about going to school.
Angela
Feb 22, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
At the same time it prepares the child for the transition from home to kindergarten, it suggests to the parent the best strategies for kindergarten readiness: teaching the child good hygiene, sending the child prepared and fed to school, instructing the child how to tie shoelaces and recognize letters and numbers, how to sit still and have patience, etc.
Tricia
Dec 11, 2008 Tricia rated it liked it
on top 100...this one was fun. henry is SO excited to got to school--goes through steps of prepping for school day, what happens during school day and a momentary fearful moment during drop off which soon passes as henry looks at the kids having fun. much more realistic than tom goes to kindergarten.
Holly N.
Look Out Kindergarten, Here I Come by Nancy Carlson follows the endearing young Henry as he gets ready for his first day of Kindergarten. I think many young children can relate to this situation, therefore this is a great book to introduce to them as they get nearer to entering a daycare or childcare center. The illustrations are simple and colorful for children to enjoy.
Inna Nako
Sep 11, 2012 Inna Nako rated it liked it
Shelves: esol-bilingual
-great bilingual book to share with your kids, especailly Spanish speaking since there is Spanish and English translation
-although it says "kindergarten", i think it is a good idea to substitute any grade level and read it
-ELLs might enjoy this book because they can make a connection with coming to a new place, not knowing anyone or the culture
Amy
This mouse is really excited for the first day of school, but his mom has to help him make sure he doesn't forget anything in the midst of his excitement. When he finally gets there, he is a bit scared and needs to be reassured. This book would be wonderful to read to students on the first day, because we all know that everybody is a bit nervous at first.
Taylor Troncin
Dec 27, 2015 Taylor Troncin rated it really liked it
Wesley (my son) and I read this book together for his summer reading club. He enjoyed it, but I think I was more excited about the book than he was.

Wesley also had this book read aloud to him at the public library. He seemed more interested in the book when someone else read it to him. (Or maybe he just liked it more a second time around...)
Dolly
Sep 08, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun book that helps children prepare for Kindergarten. Even though both of our girls have been in school for awhile, this is a good book to initiate a discussion about what happens at school, the things they like and don't like as well as get some feedback about their teachers and what they've learned.
Tiffany
Feb 22, 2014 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching
Yay! This is the last book from Dolly Parton's Imagination Library. It has a nice little letter inside about continuing to read, though. And it was the most accurate kindergarten preparedness book Deacon and I have read in the past few weeks. Except it talks about learning ABCs and counting to ten, which I imagine most kids starting kindergarten can do anyway these days.
Chantana
Great book to read on the first day of school. The children can explain how they feel on the first day of school, have them write it. Then on the last day of school have them to write how they feel about school and compare the two.
Takeisha Hannor
I think that this is a good book to help ELLs transition to a new school especially since they do not know anyone or the culture. The words are in Spanish and English to help translate for children. This is a good picture book with colorful pictures to convey the story.
Peacegal
Mar 28, 2011 Peacegal rated it it was ok
Look Out Kindergarten, Here I Come is one of those picture books meant to reassure children about their first day of school. However, the main character seemed just a little too jubilant, with none of those jitters that usually accompany leaving home for the first time.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Little Loon and Papa
  • Mouse's First Day of School
  • Max Spaniel: Funny Lunch
  • Three Hens and a Peacock
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Books!
  • Happy Birthday Hamster