On the Soul of a Vampire (On the Soul, #1)

On the Soul of a Vampire (On the Soul #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  25 reviews

In 1997 Philadelphia, an 800 year old vampire comes face to face with his reason to be when he discovers a young mortal woman who knows everything about him and whose understanding of immortality is about to change all he's known as truth. Obsessed with the mystery of her kn...more
Published (first published May 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about On the Soul of a Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Soul of a Vampire

Donde los árboles cantan by Laura Gallego GarcíaWater for Elephants by Sara GruenThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisTwilight by Stephenie MeyerBrutal Youth by Anthony Breznican
INTERESTING COVERS!
56th out of 191 books — 108 voters
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Home Bookshelf
380th out of 838 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

Werner
May 09, 2011 Werner rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of supernatural/vampire fiction who don't mind a strong religious theme
WHOA! I started this novel without really knowing what to expect. (It was a generous gift from the author, who's a Goodreads friend --but that didn't prejudice me in her favor. :-) ) Keley is a first novelist, with no prior track record; and I knew the book was self-published, and hence not vetted. What I experienced absolutely blew me out of the water; I was totally hooked and mesmerized practically from the beginning. The author handles words with an authority and skill almost unheard of in a...more
Ellen Maze
Oct 30, 2010 Ellen Maze rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: christian fiction, paranormal romance, fans of meaningful vampire tales
[updated review -- scroll to the bottom to read my official Amazon review]
***this review does NOT contain spoilers**

I will post a separate review for Amazon, I just want to get some thoughts down about this terrific novel tonight while it is still fresh in my mind. I read it in one day, it took all day -- it is a good, novel-length book, and I couldn't have put it down if I wanted to.

I give this book a zillion stars. If you could only see the smile on my face. I read a LOT of books, and this one...more
Amanda
This is a beautiful book that uses the nature of a vampire to explore the nature of life and of our relationship with God. It shows how our desire for a physical relationship with each other is related to our soul's desire to unite with God, and that a vampire's needs are the next step along that route. It shows how the union of two people is necessary for our souls.

I won this book on First-Reads.
Teric Darken
These fangs sink deep, injecting one's jugular with liberal doses of philosophy, theology, eroticism, and mystery upon each page turned, another chapter investigated, and every line read. Author Krisi Keley scripts in a sublimely unique voice, her words seasoned with a taste reminiscent of Romantic Period Lit while breathing new life into a horrific favorite of ancient lore- namely the vampire.

One would be remiss to think that On the Soul of a Vampire is the typical undead fare; it is not, as t...more
Betty
"On the Soul of a Vampire" is an impressive debut novel for such a young author; one can almost believe that she was born in her main characters' time period and knows them and their surroundings intimately. That's the depth of writing and characterization that author Krisi Keley manages to convey in this intriguing work.

In Keley's Amazon description, she says: "For some it takes a lifetime to discover their raison d'être. Imagine searching for eight centuries. In 1997 Philadelphia, 800-year-old...more
Kim (Bookishly Me)
The story begins with Valéry an 800 year old vampire who notices a young woman named Angelina. He's immediately drawn to her. Valéry tries to figure out his infatuation with her from a safe distance. We learn that these two already have a connection. Angelina knows what and who Valéry is, she has had dreams of a time long ago in which she never lived and the things she dreams about are of a life she couldn't possibly know, Valéry's life. This only makes Valéry more intrigued by her and he wants...more
Tessa Stockton
This is a different kind of love story. An in-depth exploration of theology and faith, ultimately leading onto the path of forgiveness and love—only, from the perspective of a confused, embittered, centuries-old vampire who just might not be soulless after all. The destination of reality is brought to light by a mortal who sacrifices everything to show him this path, because of her great love for him.

I was very much engrossed in the reading of this story. From a personal preference, there were p...more
Ellen Gable

“Love means to love that which is unlovable, or it is no virtue at all; forgiving means to pardon that which is unpardonable, or it is no virtue at all.” This beautiful quote by G.K. Chesterton sets the tone for “On the Soul of the Vampire,” which begins in Philadelphia in 1997. Much of the novel is told in the first person: Valery, an 800-year-old vampire, sees the beautiful Angelina and is immediately enthralled to the point of obsession. He begins to “stalk” her but in vampire-like fashion, r...more
Lori Pescatore
This novel is an amazing in-depth read into the mind of a immortal vampire and a mortal girl. Thought provoking, stylish and intensely emotional, this novel is not your normal vampire tale. Krisi Keley takes you on a wondrous journey into the mind of a vampire and this journey is a tale that really makes everyone, mortal and immortal take a closer look at what they beleive to be true in life and love.
This intriguing tale was not an easy read but not in a bad way. It made you think and books tha...more
Daniela
This book is not like any other vampire book I’ve read
It takes the reader to an 800 year journey through crucial events of a vampire’s life, inviting to an emotional and philosophical analysis of them. And even though it’s from a vampire’s point of you, it can very well be applied to any human being (in this story, a vampire is a human being whose priorities have just changed).
Although it was not very easy to read (many times it made me think: analyze myself and beliefs), it was intriguing and k...more
Mary
I won Soul of a Vampire on First Reads. I look forward to reading it now that it's arrived.

After reading several pages I can say Ms. Keley has an accomplished writing style. The content looks interesting as well. I'm hoping the book continues in this vein. It's added to my queue.
Tracy Krauss
On the Soul of a Vampire by Krisi Keley was not at all what I expected. It is a deeply emotional and introspective look at one ‘man’s’ search for meaning in life. (Or in this case, one ‘vampire’.) Written primarily in first person from the point of view of Valery Castellene, a vampire of some 800 years, we see and feel his inner pain as he struggles with his existence. Convinced that he is evil incarnate, yet still subconsciously wishing to be good, Valery’s emotional conflict is the center of t...more
Laurie
Oct 02, 2010 Laurie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Laurie by: Blurb on a discussion thread
On The Soul of a Vampire is a mesmerizing and often sonorous story that examines the basic concepts of good versus evil, free will versus pre-destination, and a full spectrum of religious dogma, divine mercy and forgiveness. Skipping through 800 years of history the author still managed to make the transitions between different scenes easy to follow and exceedingly interesting. I was fascinated with the way in which the story unfolded bit by bit until toward the end I had that “ah ha” moment whe...more
Kai
On the Soul of a Vampire is a very philosophical story. First the story is about the vampire and the young mortal woman who has the knowledge of the life and the afterlife. The story is mainly about what happens between Life and Death and about Faith. Where do the soul go when the physical body die? Is there another plane of existence of where the soul goes next? Do we have enough faith in God and Angels? Do each of us have a guardian to show us the way when we die to the next plane of existence...more
Steven Peterson
An intriguing, albeit uneven, book. . . . This is a vampire novel, containing within it a compelling love story--and much more than that. Angelina, a young woman, and Valery, a vampire, develop a relationship that is filled with riddles. The two speak of their relationship and questions are answered by more questions. Sometimes, this becomes annoying. But, in the end, the technique seems to pull us more deeply into the story.

The uncanny knowledge that Angelina has of Valery clearly points to som...more
Kyrsten
After being scarred by Twilight by expectations of this book were extremely low, however I was delighted with a wonderfully poetic tale of love and life. This was wonderfully written and very thought provoking. Everyone should give this a chance, leave all your thoughts about vampires behind and immerse yourself and you will not regret it.

**I won this book in a First-Reads Giveaway. My review is a reflection of my honest opinion and is not influenced by the fact that I got the book for free.
Tahlia Newland
I loved this. It was different and gutsy. Krisi kept up a wonderful tension all the way through. I particularly loved the themes she dealt with. This made it a memorable book for me. On the soul of a Vampire gets my very rare M award and 5 stars. For explanation of the M-factor in novels see http://tahlianewland.com/2010/07/31/w...
Christine Blair
It was very well written and had a different plot which I enjoyed although I was confused at certain parts of the story and still feel like I may have missed something but I did enjoy reading this book and will refer it to my friends. I thought the plot was unique! And I will continue to keep my eyes open for more of your writting! Thank You for the book!!
Melanie
On The Soul Of A Vampire is a truly unique story and perspective through the eyes (and soul) of an 800 year old vampire. It is unlike any vampire novel I have read, therefore, it is not comparable to any other vampire story out there. This undeniably makes it significant! Astoundingly original with indepth characters and storylines. I highly recommend it!
Stacy
I won a copy of this from Goodreads First-reads. Not a traditional Vampire Read but great all the same!! Thanks to goodreads for letting me win and read it.
Rocio
Nov 20, 2010 Rocio is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am moving along in the story. I hope to put in a real review soon! Thanks, Krisi!
Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker   (Oh My Shelves)
If you want a fun and easy read, this is NOT it. I was expecting a fun and simple entertaiment kind of vampire romance novel, but this book was not any of that. This book will make you “think” more than it will make you “feel”.

It was complex novel that dealt more with a vampire’s struggle to understand his existence and moral/ethical dilemma of his nature as a predator.
I have to admit that I had a really hard time getting into this book. I was well over page 100 before I started to somewhat lik...more
Margaret Metz
I think this book suffers from an identity crisis. At least I had a problem figuring it out. I chose it because one of my groups, Christian Readers, picked it to discuss. So I was under the impression this was a Christian fiction novel. I was late getting the book but I thought it might be something along the lines of SUMMA ELVETICA. Maybe a discussion of how or if a creature like a Vampire could have a soul or reclaim it.

This is not a normal vampire book. It is not a romance. It don't believe...more
Paranormal Kiss
On the Soul of a Vampire by Krisi Keley, is an intense, deep and intriguing book. It delves into the life of an 800 year old vampire called Valery. The story is told from his point of view. It reads like his telling from a journal perspective. We get a very in depth description of his thought and feelings; perhaps a little too descriptive for my tastes but it works with this book.

In this book Valery comes across a young woman who is very strongly drawn to. The woman is Angelina. She has dreamed...more
Roma Peñaranda
i think i'l enjoy this one
Nichelle
Nichelle marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Raye (MyEvergrowingTBR)
Raye (MyEvergrowingTBR) marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
cathy hacker
cathy hacker marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Ghost
Ghost marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Kindle Countdown Deal: 7/15-7/21 1 1 Jul 15, 2014 12:03PM
  • Black Dog and Rebel Rose
  • SNAP: The World Unfolds
  • Blood Reaction
  • The Judging (The Corescu Chronicles #1)
  • Shadows of Myth and Legend
  • Blood Crimes: Book One
  • The Vampire's Game
  • The Headhunter's Daughter: A Mystery
  • The Horror of Gaad Grey, The Evil Alpha Werewolf (The Cries of Vampira, #1)
  • Ripper's Row
  • Wanted Undead or Alive: Vampire Hunters and Other Kick-Ass Enemies of Evil
  • A Very Private Grave (Monastery Murders, #1)
  • Dante's Journey
  • The Amazing Adventures of John Smith, Jr. AKA Houdini
  • On Unfaithful Wings (Icarus Fell, #1)
  • Sleepy Willow's Bonded Soul (The Narcoleptic Vampire, #1)
  • The Necro Device
  • Dream Walker (Paperback)
Krisi Keley is a writer and artist with a degree in theology from DeSales University, who has also studied foreign and classical languages. In addition to Mareritt and Vingede, the first two books in the supernatural mystery-suspense series, The Friar Tobe Fairy Files, she's also the author of the paranormal speculative fiction novels, On the Soul of a Vampire and Pro Luce Habere and of English t...more
More about Krisi Keley...
Mareritt (The Friar Tobe Fairy Tale Files, #1) Pro Luce Habere: To Have Before the Light, Volume I (On the Soul #2.1) Pro Luce Habere: To Have Before the Light, Volume II (On the Soul #2.2) Vingede (The Friar Tobe Fairy Tale Files, #2) Pro Luce Habere: To Have Before the Light, Volumes 1 & 2

“There is fact in every fiction and truth in every lie.” 5 likes
“Oh, but I was an idiot. Wanting to be whatever magic she waited for, when I had no magic - only darkness or death to give. But it seemed in that one instant, when she turned to discover what was behind her, that I could have brought happiness to at least one mortal. Me and my dreams of goodness. I had always been a fool for them.” 4 likes