Neverwhere

Neverwhere (London Below, The World of Neverwhere)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  176,736 ratings  ·  9,281 reviews
Richard Mayhew is a young man with a good heart and an ordinarylife, which is changed forever when he stops to help a girl he finds bleeding on a London sidewalk. His small act of kindness propels him into a world he never dreamed existed. There are people who fall through the cracks, and Richard has become one of them. And he must learn to survive in this city of shadows...more
Published March 17th 2009 by William Morrow (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Neverwhere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neverwhere

Steve
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I should have. I kept distracting myself with the thought, "Why the hell haven't I read more of Neil Gaiman's books?" Then I would have to tell myself to shut up, because I'm reading one right now, and I can return to berating myself later.

Neil Gaiman really understands fantasy. He understands that it isn't elves dancing in a forest and drunk dwarves mining for gold with improbably well maintained beards. No, fantasy is a reflection of reality, but fantastic....more
Nataliya
Neverwhere was my first real introduction to the world of urban fantasy - a clever take on Alice in Wonderland, one can say, set in the semi-magical, unsubtly dangerous, and quite fantastically warped world of 'London Below'.
"Young man," he said, "understand this: there are two Londons. There's London Above - that's where you lived - and then there's London Below - the Underside - inhabited by the people who fell through the cracks in the world. Now you're one of them. Good night."

Neverwhere is...more
Kat Kennedy
I first started reading this book and honestly wanted to just chuck it in the bin. I said very mean things about the protagonist under my breath.

Surely, I said, a Protagonist means that they are pro and totally into furthering the story. Surely, Protagonist is the similar to Proactive and Productive.

I was wrong. The word Protagonist, in its basic form is not similar to proactive. It simply, from the Greek plays, means the principle character or the first speaking character.

However, I maintain th...more
James
Oct 23, 2007 James rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids
Shelves: fantasy
Picture Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Really good books right? Now imagine if someone took the first book and mad libbed characters, settings, monsters, etc, so that you were left with the exact same story except instead of travelling the galaxy with your crazy friend and the most powerful man in the universe, you were travelling in haunted British sewers with a nerd's wet dream of a Xena warrior princess rival and a Gothic princess who can unlock doors (sigh). I don't think there is much o...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Neverwhere is one of those books that answers the 'what if' question about the city in which you live your days, going through your admittedly 'mundane' routines. In this case, London. What if there was a London Below, a strange world which consists of Underground railways, tunnels, sewers, and sometimes uncannily parallels the London that the average inhabitant thought they knew but didn't, and in a way that seems a lot more interesting? It's a scary place, not terribly clean and sanitary. But...more
Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Jul 31, 2013 Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: subway commuters - Neil Gaiman and Urban Fantasy fans
Recommended to Florence (Lefty) by: Ulrike Conrad
Pure indulgence, the sort of book to tuck in with on a cold wet weekend. Again I'm trying out a new genre - for my 1st shot at ‘urban fantasy’ I picked this one, it's Gaiman’s solo debut. A premise that hooked because it made perfect sense to me. I mean anyone who’s taken a subway alone late at night, who’s glanced nervously down the track into a damp tunnel dimly lit by flickering lights would agree - if there IS a one-way portal to a subterranean world that’s where it's most likely to be...Plu...more
Scarlet
Dear Book,

Why did you get over so soon?? Why did you get over at all?? :(

I could have spent many more hours exploring those underground tunnels in the company of those wonderful people, and reveling in the amazing things that some of them - especially marquis de Carabas - had to say.

I could have spent many more days reading and re-reading those delightfully formed sentences, laughing at the intelligent absurdity of it even when not-so-scary villains were doing not-so-pretty things.

I could have s...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Richard Mayhew is an ordinary young man working in London, with a fiancee, Jessica, a small flat and a life more-or-less figured out. By Jessica. He's not a particularly brave man, or imaginative, and Jessica has his life all sorted for him.

Everything in his life is turned upside-down - quite literally - when he stumbles across an injured girl on the footpath who asks for his help. Despite Jessica's insistence that he leave her there for someone else to take care of, he carries her back to his...more
Madeline
God damn it, Goodreads, when are you going to let me use half-star ratings? You had enough time to make those hideous green "want to read" tabs next to every damn book in my newsfeed; could you please throw me a bone and stop confining me to full stars? I demand half stars, Goodreads. Particularly for this review, because three stars seems unfairly low, and four stars is a bit much.

Neverwhere is early Gaiman (published in 1996), and it shows. You can see him working on the formula that would ma...more
Rick Riordan
Okay, so people have been telling me to read Neil Gaiman for ages. They assume I've read American Gods because the premise is similar to the Percy Jackson series. Well, I still haven't read American Gods, but I did pick up Neverwhere in the Heathrow airport and read it on the way back home. I enjoyed it a lot. Great fantasy, wonderful sense of humor. I can understand why Gaiman is so popular. I'll have to look up his other books.
Ronyell
Neverwhere

“Imagine living in a world where you think that everything has become familiar to you, but then you realize that there is a different world far beyond the one you know.”

I have not read much of Neil Gaiman’s books geared towards adults, until I first read “American Gods,” which was a book that I enjoyed intensely. But now, I have a new favorite from Neil Gaiman’s books geared towards adults and that is “Neverwhere!” Full of adventure, horror and romance, “Neverwhere” is certainly one of Neil Gai...more
Michael
For me this was just the right balance of whimsy and mythological drama. A fun urban fantasy refreshingly free of vampires and werewolves. There is real elegance how it hooks you in and takes you on a wild ride. The heroes are minimally sketched ciphers the readers are invited to project themselves into. They take shape mainly from their quests: Richard wants to get back his ordinary boring life; Door wants to avenge the murder of her family; Hunter wants to kill the Great Beast of London. They...more
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
After reading Neverwhere for the second time, it remains one of, if not thee, favorite book of mine by Gaiman. There really aren't many flaws to this book. I love the world and the idea that the people who 'slip through the cracks' exist in this other world beneath the world. I even love the slight ambiguity that it could be that Richard is actually just crazy, through I prefer to think of it as real.

I love the way the story unfolds. We are given information piece-meal, receiving it as our prota...more
Kim
My only experience with Neil Gaiman’s writing (other than a viewing of Coraline) was Anansi Boys, which happened to be the sequel to American Gods to which no one had bothered to tell me about. So, yeah, I was hesitant. I mean really… of all the people on this site that I know that like Gaiman, couldn’t one of you have bothered to let me know? Huh? Fine. It’s done with.

Now, erasing that slight… really, I am… I will tell you that I totally gave Gaiman the brush off. I filed him under ‘what the he...more
Stephen
6.0 stars. One of my ALL Time Favorite novels. Neil Gaiman's ability to create "original" characters and settings that virtually leap off the page at you is astounding. This ia a true gem of a book and is highly recommended for anyone who enjoys great writing with superb characters. HIGHEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION!!!

Nominee: British Fantasy Award
Nominee: Mythopoeic Fantasy Award
Jim
The story was unique, ingenious, & interesting. The magic is capricious, the characters memorable, & the plot had me biting my nails as it twisted about. The overall theme of the invisible people was haunting. There was a lot of understated British humor and it was very well read by its author.

I wanted to kick the main character pretty much all the way through the book, although the rest of the characters were great. I especially liked the pair of assassins. They were so perfectly evil y...more
Belarius
Neil Gaiman's influential penchant for dark urban fantasy presents itself in its least complicated form in his first novel, Neverwhere. The book has the simplistic characters and perfectly-even pacing of television, which should come as no surprise as it is, in fact, an adaptation of a BBC miniseries. The book is pure entertainment, which is as much praise as it is condemnation.

Neil Gaiman is reputed to have a near-encyclopedia knowledge of matters both historical and fantastical, and this is wi...more
Gary
When I first started this book, I had to force myself to keep going. Having read American Gods by Gaiman, I was expecting a similar read. While similar, it did not grab my attention in the same way and I left this book only to come back to try again. I was glad I did.
In the beginning, it feels like Gaiman is trying too hard to establish himself as a writer of "weird" or mythological tales. Everything has a disjointed, hallucinogenic, surreal quality that was not pulling me into the storyline.
At...more
Kedar
Like Alice in Wonderland, events start happening at a surprising pace. Like Alice, Richard too seems like a lost little person. Like Alice, the world is highly speculative. But whereas most of the characters in Alice had no motives, Neverwhere is filled with them. Oh and Croup and Vandemar. Two of the best characters I have read so far.

Down The sewer hole

Gaiman is a superb story-weaver. He slowly reveals the 'why' after luxuriously indulging in the 'what'. You tend to go through an unbelieving 'what', to an acknow...more
Algernon

One of the things I like about Neil Gaiman books, besides the fact that they are usually standalones and relatively compact, is that I don't really know what to expect. American Gods was different from Stardust, which was different from Good Omens, and which is now different from Neverwhere. Yet all could be shelved as urban fantasy, or better yet modern fairytales, since urban fantasy has come to be associated with sparkly vampires and emo kids. While similarities in style can be detected, the...more
Ben Babcock
In everyone’s life there is always at least one door. You know the door I mean. It’s the one that you’ve never opened, even though you’ve always wanted to. It could be the front door of the creepy, abandoned house at the end of your street. It could be the strange door at the top of the stairs in your school, the one that doesn’t lead to the roof and probably leads to a boring storage closet but might—just might—lead to another world entirely. It could even be … a wardrobe. These are the doors o...more
Kelly
Well done again, Gaiman. Well done indeed. I very much enjoyed this novel. The same thing happened to me here as with American Gods. I was a little uncertain at first, a bit skeptical, and then slowly Gaiman won me over with his writing and sucked me into his world until I was engrossed and turned over 100 pages in a day without realizing it, even despite some distractions that should have made it impossible for me to concentrate. It is a very special breed of author who is capable of that.

Gaim...more
Steven
The first book I read by Gaiman was a collaboration with Terry Pratchett, Good Omens. Actually a pretty funny read, although the person who loaned it to me seemed to think it was the best book ever written. This was probably back in 2000. I laughed at a couple of the more auspicious stances (One of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse, Famine, is responsible for the stick-thin models we see constantly…) but didn’t think much past this.

Last week I had a lot of travel scheduled. So when I was wande...more
Teresa

... "I don't understand," he asked. "Why do you have fogs down here, when we don't have them up there anymore?"

Door scratched her nose. "There are little pockets of old time in London, where things and places stay the same, like bubbles in amber," she explained. "There's a lot of time in London, and it has to go somewhere--it doesn't get all used up at once."

"I may still be hung over," sighed Richard. "That almost made sense."

(p. 228)

No mind-altering substances are needed to believe in Gaiman's...more
Kristijan
NIKADOĐIJA, ili kako sam putovao u okviru tuđeg putovanja

Za početak pokušaću da se uzdržim od svih onih superlativa koje sam imao u ustima i na umu dok sam okretao poslednji list ove knjige... i pokušaću da napišem zašto ovu knjigu mora, naglašavam MORA da pročita svako ko voli dobru priču, dobru bajku ali i dobro putovanje.

Dakle, da počnemo...
Postoji ovaj jedan svet u kome živimo. Kažu da postoje i ona dva... Jedan gore i jedan dole i da ćemo jednoga dana svojim očima videti jedan od njih (p p...more
midnightfaerie
A fantastic tale about sludge, desecration, and adventure, all beneath the streets of London! Gaiman does it again in this awesome story about worlds within worlds. Once again his characters come alive with an intensity that is unknown by other authors. It's no wonder this story put him on the map. And speaking of maps, the one of London underground included with this book is amazing and really fun to follow along with. Gaiman's imagination takes us on a journey of self-actualization through the...more
twelvejan [Alexandria]
4 stars for Neverwhere!

So the blurb says "Richard Mayhew is a young man with a good heart and an ordinary life, which is changed forever when he stops to help a girl he finds bleeding on a London sidewalk." Now, if you're expecting a knight in shining armor with a quest to save the damsel in distress, you can just drop this book. Because Richard Mayhew is the one who needs saving.

Richard leaned against a wall, and listened to their footsteps, echoing away, and to the rush of the water running p
Jackie "the Librarian"
Because Richard helps the bleeding girl who appears on the sidewalk before him, his whole life changes. First off, he loses his fiancee, Jessica, who can't understand why he would blow off an important dinner in favor of helping some street urchin. Okay, not so strange.

But then, after helping the girl (named Door) send a message by pigeon (a regular one, not a homing pigeon), and a very disorienting trip through London with someone named the marquis de Carabas, Richard's world seems to be disso...more
Penny
I think it's safe to say at this point that I'm not going to become a Gaiman fan-girl. I enjoyed this far more than Ocean at the End of the Lane, but I didn't love it. I found almost all of the characters very one dimensional and the plot predictable. It did however have a number of redeaming factors not least among them Mr. Gaiman's wonderful humour and amazing way with words. I can see why so many people love his work so much and why he has been so widely recommended to me over the years.

The...more
Libby
I recently re-read Neverwhere for a Goodreads book group. While I am an avid Neil Gaiman fan, this is not my favorite Gaiman work. Nonetheless, it is still a very entertaining novel based on amazing conceptual ideas and deserving of 4 stars.

I would rate this as one of Gaiman’s weaker works for two primary reasons. Foremost, the story was a mini-series first then novelized and I think it shows. Some characters and plot aspects are flat on the page and I believe they probably had more depth when v...more
To-Read Buddies: August 2014: Neverwhere 2 4 Aug 27, 2014 05:39AM
Reading Warriors: Summer reading 2014: Neverwhere 1 4 Aug 02, 2014 01:35PM
Around the World ...: Discussion for Neverwhere 21 107 Jul 17, 2014 06:57PM
Looking for a happy funny romcom novel 9 157 Jun 16, 2014 04:28PM
Classics Without ...: Neverwhere Buddy Read? 9 47 May 26, 2014 04:17PM
  • Memory and Dream (Newford, #5)
  • The Sandman: King of Dreams
  • War for the Oaks
  • The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories
  • Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant, #2)
  • Going Postal (Discworld, #33)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • The Secret History of Moscow
  • The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (The Inheritance Trilogy, #1)
  • The Wood Wife
  • Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard #2)
  • Stalking Darkness (Nightrunner, #2)
American Gods (American Gods, #1) Coraline The Graveyard Book Stardust The Ocean at the End of the Lane

101 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“He had noticed that events were cowards: they didn't occur singly, but instead they would run in packs and leap out at him all at once.” 817 likes
“You've a good heart. Sometimes that's enough to see you safe wherever you go. But mostly, it's not.” 798 likes