Start by marking “Dog Training for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Dog Training for Dummies

Dog Training for Dummies

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Make training fun and effective This friendly guide shows you how to select the right training method for your dog, based on his unique personality, to reach your desired goals. Whether you want to teach Buddy to sit or master retrieving, you'll get expert training tips and techniques for you and your dog -- to ensure a mutually respectful relationship with your four-legge ...more
Published June 22nd 2010 by For Dummies (first published January 15th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Training for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Training for Dummies

Dog Training for Dummies by Jack and Wendy Volhard 2005 (a dog training guide) wasn’t a great book. I think it is a good beginner guide to dog training but explains mainly just the basic commands. It does, however; go deep into explanation on why a dog does or doesn’t listen. For example if the dog isn’t sitting when you want him to sit, most likely it is you. Think about your tone of voice or your posture. Use a firm, not necessarily loud but distinct voice when talking to your dog. Don’t hang ...more
Great Information. Really prepared me and gave good advice. Now if only I could get my dog lesson.
Gareth Burrows
For such a broad subject, considering different breads behave differently, this is a well structured and solid introduction to the minds of dogs, their owners and how to train both of them. Ultimately if you are training a dog to be a good pet, this book will likely cover your needs
I'm giving this 4 stars because it's convinced me that there is hope that our from-the-pound dog will someday understand the concept of yard=bathroom.

But...if it doesn't work, I'm coming back and taking away 2 stars ;)
Jacob Miller
Very good to start, but gets way into how to make your dog perform in shows and what is required. If you're looking for more focus on how to train your dogs on the basics with different techniques, move on.
Great for Max, my friend Jude's miniature schnauzer that I have recently filed for possession of.

I'm still yet to perfect the nose-snatch of a dog biscuit left on Max's nose ... A new years res ...
I'm sure had I done everything this book says to do, I'd have a really well trained dog. As it is, I have a semi-trained very intelligent best friend who makes his own choices.
This book explains so much and has simple, common sense answers to real problems. I would very highly recommend this book to anyone who is (or will be) a dog owner.
Poppy Jen
Read this before we brought our puppy home and found it full of helpful ideas and useful information for training. Will check back in with it frequently.
I found this book extremely helpful, especially when trying to curb negative dog behaviour. A must have, if you are a first time dog parent, like I was.
Good tips for training your dog, and lots of information about ways to keep your dog's behavior in check (like info about agility training, etc.).
Sarah Castillo
This book is really great for beginners but doesn't have any information that isn't available on online dog training resources.
Randy Loveless
Useful tool for learning the basics of dog training with positive reinforcement. Easy reading format.
Deena Scintilla
As Dona is still's not a faulty book but faulty trainer. ;-)
This is a very useful book. It helped me learn how to train my two dogs effectively.
mister trout and i learned a lot with this book! mister trout is my dog
Some useful tips, but nothing too insightful.
Jan 13, 2010 Arlene rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 1st time dog owners
Shelves: self-help
dogs are a lot of work
Cheriflake is currently reading it
Lea Anne
Lea Anne marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Marvelgirl is currently reading it
Nov 29, 2015
Julie is currently reading it
Nov 20, 2015
Celina Quail
Celina Quail is currently reading it
Nov 18, 2015
Cristina Mylroie
Cristina Mylroie marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Leslie is currently reading it
Nov 16, 2015
  • Dogs for Dummies
  • The Key to Your Child's Heart
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training
  • Puppies For Dummies (For Dummies: Pets)
  • Raising Chickens for Dummies