Start by marking “Dog Training for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Dog Training for Dummies

Dog Training for Dummies (For Dummies)

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  287 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Make training fun and effective This friendly guide shows you how to select the right training method for your dog, based on his unique personality, to reach your desired goals. Whether you want to teach Buddy to sit or master retrieving, you'll get expert training tips and techniques for you and your dog -- to ensure a mutually respectful relationship with your four-legge ...more
Published June 22nd 2010 by For Dummies (first published January 15th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Training for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Training for Dummies

Bárbara
good book for beginners but from the half to the end it concentrates on training for winning prizes and stuff in which I dislike very much. my dog is now half-well-trained and that is absolutely good and essencial to our comunication, but animals in general are inocent and lovable, we should not want to win money with them, we should not focus on the breed, we should not buy animals at all. there are many lovable friends in shelters that need our love and help.
Mackenziedugas
Dog Training for Dummies by Jack and Wendy Volhard 2005 (a dog training guide) wasn’t a great book. I think it is a good beginner guide to dog training but explains mainly just the basic commands. It does, however; go deep into explanation on why a dog does or doesn’t listen. For example if the dog isn’t sitting when you want him to sit, most likely it is you. Think about your tone of voice or your posture. Use a firm, not necessarily loud but distinct voice when talking to your dog. Don’t hang ...more
Ellen Stanhorne
Some great beginner tips, but pretty limited in scope and depth.
Melissa
Nov 01, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Information. Really prepared me and gave good advice. Now if only I could get my dog lesson.
Gareth Burrows
Aug 05, 2013 Gareth Burrows rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For such a broad subject, considering different breads behave differently, this is a well structured and solid introduction to the minds of dogs, their owners and how to train both of them. Ultimately if you are training a dog to be a good pet, this book will likely cover your needs
Stacy
Aug 25, 2012 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I'm giving this 4 stars because it's convinced me that there is hope that our from-the-pound dog will someday understand the concept of yard=bathroom.

But...if it doesn't work, I'm coming back and taking away 2 stars ;)
Jacob Miller
Very good to start, but gets way into how to make your dog perform in shows and what is required. If you're looking for more focus on how to train your dogs on the basics with different techniques, move on.
Domonic
Jan 02, 2011 Domonic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for Max, my friend Jude's miniature schnauzer that I have recently filed for possession of.

I'm still yet to perfect the nose-snatch of a dog biscuit left on Max's nose ... A new years res ...
Vive-un-Livre
I'm sure had I done everything this book says to do, I'd have a really well trained dog. As it is, I have a semi-trained very intelligent best friend who makes his own choices.
Kayla
Mar 15, 2011 Kayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book explains so much and has simple, common sense answers to real problems. I would very highly recommend this book to anyone who is (or will be) a dog owner.
Poppy Jen
Sep 30, 2011 Poppy Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Read this before we brought our puppy home and found it full of helpful ideas and useful information for training. Will check back in with it frequently.
Padhopper
Dec 01, 2011 Padhopper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book extremely helpful, especially when trying to curb negative dog behaviour. A must have, if you are a first time dog parent, like I was.
Deirdre
Mar 12, 2010 Deirdre rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
Good tips for training your dog, and lots of information about ways to keep your dog's behavior in check (like info about agility training, etc.).
Sarah Castillo
This book is really great for beginners but doesn't have any information that isn't available on online dog training resources.
Randy Loveless
Useful tool for learning the basics of dog training with positive reinforcement. Easy reading format.
Deena Scintilla
May 10, 2009 Deena Scintilla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
As Dona is still incorrigible.....it's not a faulty book but faulty trainer. ;-)
Mackenzie
Aug 20, 2009 Mackenzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very useful book. It helped me learn how to train my two dogs effectively.
Bellamy
Jan 06, 2012 Bellamy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
mister trout and i learned a lot with this book! mister trout is my dog
Jess
Some useful tips, but nothing too insightful.
Arlene
Cathy
Jul 11, 2008 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pets
LeighAnn
LeighAnn marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Martin Menezes
Martin Menezes marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Wesley Jskwk
Wesley Jskwk marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Ilona Williams
Ilona Williams rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
BlueWeepingWillow
BlueWeepingWillow marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Hilary McDevitt
Hilary McDevitt rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Alasea
Alasea rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2016
  • Dogs for Dummies
  • The Key to Your Child's Heart
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training
  • Puppies For Dummies
  • Mythology for Dummies
  • Mother Knows Best: The Natural Way to Train Your Dog
  • Louder Than Words: The Power of Uncompromised Living
  • The MoneySmart Family System: Teaching Financial Independence to Children of Every Age
  • The Culture Clash
  • Chihuahuas for Dummies
  • Fitness for Dummies
  • Don't Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training
  • Covenant Marriage: Building Communication and Intimacy

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 79 books)
  • A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies