Start by marking “No Dress Rehearsal” as Want to Read:
No Dress Rehearsal

No Dress Rehearsal (Open Door Series)

Lizzie hasn't realised that she's dead yet. She can't understand why everyone is ignoring her when all she wants is a little sympathy. She has been in an accident, after all. Next day at work, she meets two spirits who've been sent to break the news.
Paperback
Published December 1st 2000 by New Island Books (first published November 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about No Dress Rehearsal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Dress Rehearsal

Aviva
Apr 05, 2010 Aviva rated it it was ok
I really like Marian Keyes' books, but this isn't a book. It's more of a short story written in a pamphlet type format. It was 80 or so pages, but the pages were about 4"x3".

I don't know anything about the Open Door Series, and perhaps if I did, I wouldn't have bothered with this "book." I'm guessing that the whole series is about life after death or what happens when we die or something existential with religious overtones to it. Not my thing. I'd probably of not given it any stars at all, but
Cinthia
I didn't know until after I read Goodread Reviews that this book was written to help adults learning to read. Its good keep that in mind once you decide to read it.
Its easy to read, its fun and heart warming. Its the type of book that can help you with a mood boosting, whenever you need.

"Making a living isnt the important thing. Living is."

Susanna
Apr 14, 2009 Susanna rated it liked it
Great little book - a 'novella' or long short story, really. I like these quick read type books that are intended to encourage adults to read or improve their reading - they provide a short blast of a good author, just a little something to keep you going. I love Marian Keyes' books and this is a little treasure. It's such a plausible idea - what if you died, but didn't realise that you were dead? Both moving and funny.
Xeyra
Sep 11, 2016 Xeyra rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, romance
I read this very quickly today, in a couple of hours, and really liked this simple, short story. It is a cute little tale about death and what's left behind and the fact that life has no second chances, so one should always make the best of it while they can. Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to read this little tale.
Linda Katzman
Feb 17, 2012 Linda Katzman rated it liked it
Lizzie is dead. She just doesn’t realize it yet. She goes on about her life like she normally would but people are ignoring her and it is ticking her off. Why would they do that? She was not a wallflower when. Lizzie thought herself rather popular. Lizzie has a great boyfriend even if they had been fighting a lot more lately. She had plenty of friends. She didn’t like her job, but she was good at it. Does anyone really like their job? It paid the bills and made living easier. There is so much Li ...more
Karen McCready
Feb 28, 2015 Karen McCready rated it really liked it
I didn't know until after I read the book & read Goodread Reviews that this book was written for the "Open Door" series which is written to help adults learning to read. Before I knew that I thought it was ok - ok short chic lit which gave me an even greater for Keyes' best (Anybody Out There"). But knowing it was written to be an easy adult read I think it is brilliant. Definitely has the chic lit vibe I hope will grab adult learners & encourage them to keep reading!
Déborah Muñoz
Ni siquiera puede considerarse novela. Relato (y corto) más bien. 180 páginas que se quedan en 90 sin la parte en inglés, pero con una letra y un interlineado descaradamente grandes. La historia tampoco es que me haya dicho mucho, aunque resulta más o menos entretenida.
Brianna
Jan 01, 2016 Brianna rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
A really quick, easy, adult read, and it allowed me to delve further into genres that I am not familiar with. There was definitely a strong message running through the entire book (Live life to the full) which is my life motto.
Rachel
Feb 04, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This book is quite short, but I think it's fantastic. It does a really good job (quite by accident, I suspect) of describing the idea that the physical world and the spiritual world are actually co-located.
Angela
Oct 09, 2008 Angela rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
This is a short story or novella for a series of books that teach adults how to read. It is a pretty good story about a girl who is dead and does not know it. It is not scary but it is sad.
Zaida Budi
Jun 06, 2015 Zaida Budi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me ha gustado mucho, aunque más que una novela es un relato. El tema principal de la muerte (se desvela en la primera página) está tratado de una forma "divertida" y recurrente.
Mickey Reed
Dec 11, 2010 Mickey Reed rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, 2010
It was short and to the point. It contained a lesson that I wish everyone embraced. This world would be a whole lot different if we were living like tomorrow might never come.
Heather
May 12, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
Super short read. Definitely food for thought. Emma doesn't realize she's dead and then wishes she had lived better.
Leah Veritay
Aug 08, 2016 Leah Veritay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wayward teens
Honestly didn't except such a teeny-tiny book! But I got to introduce my friend to the 'stack' collection in a library which was probably more exciting than the actual reading of the book. I felt it was almost like a note-to-self type of short story. Be more grateful in life, that type of thing. Took only an hour to get through but it does have the simple effect of making one reflect on life and living. Now that I know it's part of the Open Door series, I can make more sense of the size.
♥ Marlene♥
A very cute little book. Funny enough it was a subject very near me. Lately I feel like I am not living as I should. The days are slipping away from me. My reason is bad health but that is not good enough reason for not enjoying life to the fullest. So I have to yet again give myself a kick.

This book is short but sweet.
Cathy
Jul 17, 2016 Cathy rated it really liked it
This is a crisp, feel-good short story (feel good despite the fact the main character dies on the first page). Sort of an "It's a Wonderful Life" meets, well, Marian Keyes' other works. With a valuable how to live life message. Fun, quick read.
Pinkiland Kristie

La historia, sencilla, tierna, graciosa y sobretodo adorable, me ha encantado el personaje de Lizzie, imaginaos es una angelita, pero no esta convencida de serlo, ella quiere decir a los que la rodeaban que aún esta ahí, ella puede verlos, que no esta muerta.
.........................................................................
[Lee la entrada completa en el blog!!]
Amanda
May 19, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it
Short story that was part of a collection. Witty and a nice message but the pacing felt very rushed.
Feb 15, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
Not as nuanced as her other work, but a good quick read. I love the idea of this Irish series.
Andrea  Giugliano
Una historia un poco floja, es la novela que menos me ha gustado de esta autora.
Rosa
Jun 27, 2016 Rosa rated it it was ok
Yo creía sinceramente que iba a pasar algo. Ha sido un poco, corto. Me sabe soso.
Kristy Cunningham
Read it in a day. Nice message to the book.
Kat A
Feb 12, 2012 Kat A rated it really liked it
This is part of a easy adult learn to read series. It was a great short story about a 30 something who dies, but doesn't realise it. It makes some great points about modern life and Lizzie's death even inspires her friend to start living, because life is not dress rehearsal. Before reading it, I had forgotten how many adults are illiterate, and one of the main stumbling blocks are engaging materials. It's the same for children. It's a great project, and something I didn't know was out there unti ...more
Lulu
Apr 02, 2016 Lulu added it
Cute easy read
Sherine
Mar 16, 2016 Sherine rated it liked it
Short and sweet. Missed Marian's writing.
Carrie
Oct 30, 2014 Carrie rated it liked it
A bit preachy but clever.
Linda
Jan 04, 2013 Linda rated it liked it
I read the entire novella on the train this morning. It lacks the complexity and richness of her usual work, and there is little subtlety in the message. I understand from other reviews that this is meant to be a simple, easy story, and it certainly met the goal. I have been spoiled by Keyes other works, though. Her voice has been captured, but there's not enough story for my tastes.
Jae
Mar 12, 2011 Jae rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
It's short, so it's a very quick read (I read the whole thing on an hour-long flight, so it's actually more of a novella than a novel), but it's still very cute and worth the hour it will take to spend with it. It was written for the "Open Door" series, which is a program to help improve reading skills.
Kellie
Sep 11, 2012 Kellie rated it liked it
Another short and sweet title from the Open Door series. Not much to it, basically just getting across that life is short and to take advantage of it while you can.

Part of the Open Door Series - a program of original works by beloved authors, originally designed in Ireland to promote adult literacy.
Molly
Apr 18, 2016 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This book was written for adults who are learning how to read. I think Keyes wrote a very engaging story despite being just 80 pages and would recommend it to anyone, not just learners. I also think it has a great message.
Open Door Series? 1 2 Sep 01, 2011 12:24PM
  • Party Animal
  • Irish Girls about Town
  • Irish Girls Are Back in Town
  • This Christmas
  • Will Write for Shoes: How to Write a Chick Lit Novel
  • Secrets and Seductions (The Sweet Life #4)
  • Finbar's Hotel
  • Pug Hill
  • Daily Candy A to Z: An Insider's Guide to the Sweet Life
  • Charlie
  • New Beginnings
  • Jade Tiger
  • The Stone Angel
  • Little Critter Storybook Collection
  • The Bizarre Truth: How I Walked Out the Door Mouth First . . . and Came Back Shaking My Head
Marian Keyes (born 10 September 1963) is an Irish novelist and non-fiction writer, best known for her work in women's literature. She is an Irish Book Awards winner. Over 22 million copies of her novels have been sold worldwide and her books have been translated into 32 languages. She became known worldwide for Watermelon, Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married, and This Charming Man, with themes includ ...more
More about Marian Keyes...

Open Door Series (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Sad Song
  • In High Germany (Open Door Series (New Island Books).)
  • Not Just For Christmas (Open Door)
  • Maggie's Story
  • Jesus and Billy Are Off to Barcelona
  • Ripples
  • Joe's Wedding
  • Quell'incredibile inverno del '75
  • Second Chance (Open Door)
  • Pipe Dreams (Open Door)