Essays and Stories by Marian Keyes: Bags, Trips, Make-up Tips, Charity, Glory, and the Darker Side of the Story

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  1,348 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Go further under the covers and stay in bed a little longer with Marian Keyes in this winning follow-up to her smash essay collection, Under the Duvet. Written in the witty, forthright style that has earned her legions of devoted readers, Cracks in My Foundation offers an even deeper and more candid look into this beloved author's mind and heart, exploring such universal t...more
Published September 6th 2005 by William Morrow Paperbacks

The Blind Assassin by Margaret AtwoodSula by Toni MorrisonThe Tenth Circle by Jodi PicoultHow to Be Black by Baratunde R. ThurstonThe Dressmaker by Kate Alcott
Summer 2012 Reading list
31st out of 42 books — 6 voters
Watermelon by Marian KeyesLucy Sullivan Is Getting Married by Marian KeyesThe Brightest Star in the Sky by Marian KeyesRachel's Holiday by Marian KeyesThis Charming Man by Marian Keyes
Marian Keyes Books
19th out of 20 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Monica Albright
Okay, now I am totally convinced that Marian Keyes has spies peeking in my windows watching me sleep with my make up on...tweeze my hairy legs...and so much more.
Rachel
Jul 25, 2008 Rachel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sally McInnis; Kira Cruz; Mike F- ha! (just for a change Mike)
Recommended to Rachel by: Heidi
Normally not my type of book but my lovely friend Heidi loaned me two by this author and it definitely got some chuckles out of me, though initially, picking it up was slow-going. While at first I was tempted to dismiss it in the genre of Chic-Lit (of which I am not a fan), I felt I had to read it in its entirety - for Heidi's sake :) I.e. if a friend is thoughtful enough to recommend a book to you then definitely you should give it a proper go. The more I read Marian Keyes the I felt as if I we...more
Aly
While I'm not generally one to pick up a book full of essays and articles, my love for Marian Keyes is much stronger than my slight aversion to such collections. Knowing I wouldn't love it as I do her novels, I wasn't disappointed! I read the essays and articles side first, and really enjoyed the feeling of getting to know one of my favorite authors (and her family and friends) a little bit better. I finished with the stories, and just loved them. I love the Walshes and was thrilled to see the i...more
Courtney Dunning
In this book Keyes takes you through a journey of stories ranging from personal experiences to life lessons. She focuses specifically on herself and her family. Using a wide range of approaches to the "common woman", Keyes reflects on her own life while trying to relate. She shares her successful journey into adulthood as a comedic outlet to share her opinions on growing up. This classic series of short tales share the definition of "femininity" in today's world and what it means to handle your...more
Jamie
I have really enjoyed Marian Keyes' novels in the past, so reading a collection of her essays and short stories that she has written was interestig. I greatly enjoyed the essays that she has written. One of the reasons I like her novels is that I feel like I can realte to some of the characters. After reading the essays, I think that is because I can relate to Marian Keyes as a person as well. The essays made me feel like I had a friend telling me her personal funny stories.

What I didn't enjoy,...more
Jodi
Enjoyable enough book - I liked some of the stories better than others. It was fun getting to know the author a little bit better too, as she wrote about herself and her life!
Kelsey
Essays were hysterical
Cathy
Marian Keyes' essays seem light but they are rather dark under the surface. There are hints of her unhappiness, insecurity...which makes for a hard to digest short story collection. I thought I was reading something funny, but I supposed incorrectly.
Beverly
Jun 23, 2008 Beverly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Beverly by: Susan E
A thank you to my friend Susan for turning me on to this fun author. This book sat on the nightstand for about a year as I am not one that usually reads short stories but this book really read more like a novel. I felt like I got to know the author through her series of essays mostly about herself and her family. I loved her writing and her sense of humor and look forward to reading more by her, and to passing this one along to more friends.
MsSmartiePants ...like the candy...
Always entertaining, this Irish author is a favorite of mine. I like to peruse the used book stores for inexpensive copies of books by a short list of authors. This book is a collection of essays written from the perspective of an educated, well traveled, modern woman on various subjects from men to make up! This is the kind of nice, light, fun reading I like to do when I'm unwinding from my day.
Mirah W
A great collection. I think I preferred the essays to the short stories, especially the essays on travel...I felt like she was voicing my opinions and that we had shared experiences. The essay on the Russian orphans was particularly well done. Keyes was very honest in these essays...it was refreshing to read pieces that felt so sincere.
Abby
Mar 08, 2009 Abby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Abby by: others by the author
This book was neat, half short stories and when you got to the end of them you turned th ebook upside down and backwards to read the essay half. That being said, I liked the story side a lot more than the essays. Her first book of essays was much more enthralling. These were not bad, just not quite as gripping. Still worth a read.
mellyana
Marian Keyes is one of the first writer I read in this genre. I found her view is refreshing. I started reading her stories more than 10 years ago.

This is a compilation of her stories - similar with under the duvet. I like her honesty in it. Funny with a very specific point of view - her view.
Susanna
Interesting book with a variety of short novels. Marian Keyes has the rare ability to make distress situation into an enlighted event. Her non-pretentious style in writing and self-depreciating sense of humor will make you laugh out loud and crave for more. Highly recommended.
Leeann
Love this Irish author and her dry sense of humor. I've read every fictional novel she's written, so now I'm reading some of her short stories and humorous articles about life. I've read most of it but have lost interest, so this is not one of my favorites of hers.
Danielle
Cracks in My Foundation is a collection of previously published essays and a small collection of short stories by Marian Keyes. I found the essays to be amusing, but found I could take or leave the short stories. Some of them I enjoyed, while others I didn't care for.
Mykette
I really like Marian Keyes as an author so it's fun to read about her real life. You can see bits of her characters in her, but she also write about people very different from her as well. She's a fun Irish girl who is humble enough to admit her flaws.
Heather Adkins
So totally Marian. Not only are the magazine articles so true to life and freaking funny, her short stories are works of art. The characters are everything you expect from a Marian story, and the subject matter hits harder than most. Much recommended.
Lisa
Again, Marian Keyes' essays are good, but not as good as her fiction, but this collection also contains several short stories by her and is worth reading for those alone. There are also a few interesting essays about her charitable work.
Molly
Dec 17, 2007 Molly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: chick lit readers and other cheerful folks
Marion Keyes is such a cheering writer, even when writing about her own life low. I had my mother read the essay on an Irish family all hoarding bread on a vacation and she liked it so much that she went out and bought the book.
Kay
After I finished Under the Duvet, I was eager for more Keyes. This was similarly fun. I enjoyed the opportunity to read some of her earliest short stories and to hear the back story about them.
Andrea Adams
This is an hysterical set of essays by Marian Keyes. I picked it up quickly at the library before a trip, and I actually laughed out loud a little on the plane. very witty.
Kimz Zahour
Nov 09, 2008 Kimz Zahour marked it as to-read
Gosh I think I got this for Christmas and never cracked it open. :S I adore Marian Keyes! This is a nice book to read little excerpts from for a chuckle... she's so funny!
Kat A
This is the same collection of essays that are in Further Under the Duvet.

Further Under the Duvet has a few additional short stories, so it's a better read.
Michelle
If you are a fan of Marian Keyes (which I certainly am) it's required reading to get a glimpse into the life of the woman herself. I own it, want to borrow it?
Candace
I like Marian Keyes, but this wasn't a favorite. The story part of the book was only okay, but I had to stop reading after two essays, as I was bored out of my mind.
Angela
Aug 31, 2008 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: marian Keyes fans, People who love short essays written with humor and thoughfulness.
Excellent Marian Keyes articles and essays. Another great collection of her thoughts on everything under the sun with her great humor and thoughfulness.
Harleen Babber
A great collection of incidences that Marian Keyes narrates amazingly well, wrapping them in her distinct sense of humor.. a refreshing read..
Tal H
Love her books, loved her essays and articles in this book....fun, truthful and personal. Yes, it's chicklit but she just does it so well :)
Jadine
Mar 19, 2008 Jadine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: chick lit readers
Recommended to Jadine by: Stephanie
An Irish Jenn ... I enjoy Marion Keyes novels and this is just as fun. Plus, because they are essays and short stories it is a quick read.
  • Irish Girls about Town
  • Irish Girls Are Back in Town
  • American Girls about Town
  • Piece of Work
  • Girls Night Out (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Someone Like You
  • Inappropriate Men (Red Dress Ink)
  • Girls' Night In
  • Miss Understanding
  • See Jane Write: A Girl's Guide to Writing Chick Lit
  • Pen Pals
  • This Christmas
  • Name & Address Withheld
  • Ladies' Night at  Finbar's Hotel
  • Plan B
  • I Did (But I Wouldn't Now) (Crandell Sisters, #2)
  • On The Verge
  • The Friendship Test
Marian Keyes, born September 10, 1963, is a popular Irish writer, considered to be one of the original progenitors of "chick lit". Keyes' first novel, Watermelon, was published in Ireland in 1995. Since then she has published seven further novels and two collections of non-fiction, and has sold 15 million copies of her books in 30 languages.

More about Marian Keyes...
Watermelon (Walsh Family, #1) Sushi for Beginners Rachel's Holiday (Walsh Family, #2) Anybody Out There? (Walsh Family, #4) Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married