Start by marking “Essays and Stories by Marian Keyes: Bags, Trips, Make-up Tips, Charity, Glory, and the Darker Side of the Story” as Want to Read:

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,789 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Go further under the covers and stay in bed a little longer with Marian Keyes in this winning follow-up to her smash essay collection, Under the Duvet. Written in the witty, forthright style that has earned her legions of devoted readers, Cracks in My Foundation offers an even deeper and more candid look into this beloved author's mind and heart, exploring such universal t ...more
Published September 6th 2005 by William Morrow Paperbacks

Watermelon by Marian KeyesRachel's Holiday by Marian KeyesAnybody Out There? by Marian KeyesThe Other Side of the Story by Marian KeyesLucy Sullivan Is Getting Married by Marian Keyes
Marian Keyes Books
18th out of 23 books — 33 voters
Sula by Toni MorrisonThe Blind Assassin by Margaret AtwoodThe Tenth Circle by Jodi PicoultHow to Be Black by Baratunde R. ThurstonThe Dressmaker by Kate Alcott
Summer 2012 Reading list
31st out of 42 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel
Jul 25, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Sally McInnis; Kira Cruz; Mike F- ha! (just for a change Mike)
Recommended to Rachel by: Heidi
Normally not my type of book but my lovely friend Heidi loaned me two by this author and it definitely got some chuckles out of me, though initially, picking it up was slow-going. While at first I was tempted to dismiss it in the genre of Chic-Lit (of which I am not a fan), I felt I had to read it in its entirety - for Heidi's sake :) I.e. if a friend is thoughtful enough to recommend a book to you then definitely you should give it a proper go. The more I read Marian Keyes the I felt as if I we ...more
Monica Albright
Sep 19, 2009 Monica Albright rated it really liked it
Okay, now I am totally convinced that Marian Keyes has spies peeking in my windows watching me sleep with my make up on...tweeze my hairy legs...and so much more.
Aly
Aug 09, 2012 Aly rated it liked it
While I'm not generally one to pick up a book full of essays and articles, my love for Marian Keyes is much stronger than my slight aversion to such collections. Knowing I wouldn't love it as I do her novels, I wasn't disappointed! I read the essays and articles side first, and really enjoyed the feeling of getting to know one of my favorite authors (and her family and friends) a little bit better. I finished with the stories, and just loved them. I love the Walshes and was thrilled to see the i ...more
Peggy Davenport
Author Marian Keyes: Cracks in my Foundation.

This is a book I purely bought for the cover and title. Looking for an easy peasy read. One thing is knowing she is from Ireland had me reading this with an Irish accent in my head. Love. Funny. Made every joke even funnier ( it's an American thing) I loved the stories being so absolutely off the wall and admired the ability as a writer. The essays of traveling as a writer were hilarious. Her frizzy hair issues and high heels all the time. Even while
Courtney Dunning
Apr 22, 2014 Courtney Dunning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book Keyes takes you through a journey of stories ranging from personal experiences to life lessons. She focuses specifically on herself and her family. Using a wide range of approaches to the "common woman", Keyes reflects on her own life while trying to relate. She shares her successful journey into adulthood as a comedic outlet to share her opinions on growing up. This classic series of short tales share the definition of "femininity" in today's world and what it means to handle your ...more
Jamie
Mar 26, 2010 Jamie rated it liked it
I have really enjoyed Marian Keyes' novels in the past, so reading a collection of her essays and short stories that she has written was interestig. I greatly enjoyed the essays that she has written. One of the reasons I like her novels is that I feel like I can realte to some of the characters. After reading the essays, I think that is because I can relate to Marian Keyes as a person as well. The essays made me feel like I had a friend telling me her personal funny stories.

What I didn't enjoy,
Bridget Bailey
Nov 03, 2015 Bridget Bailey rated it liked it
This is not my first book by this author as she is one of my favorite authors. Typically, I don't like books made up of short stories so I wasn't looking forward to this book. It surprised me because it gave me greater insight into one of my favorite authors that I never knew. It was a cute book not my favorite of all of her books though.
Meg P
Sep 14, 2014 Meg P rated it really liked it
This is a collection of events that have been experienced by Marian. At times it's quite funny and other times reflective. At the end of the book, there are a couple of short stories.
Therese Gilardi
Jan 23, 2015 Therese Gilardi rated it it was amazing
I love this mix of essays and short stories. Whether Ms. Keyes is writing fiction or non-fiction, her words are always so easy to relate to. And so funny!
Jodi
Feb 24, 2014 Jodi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Enjoyable enough book - I liked some of the stories better than others. It was fun getting to know the author a little bit better too, as she wrote about herself and her life!
Delores
Nov 27, 2014 Delores rated it liked it
I don't usually like short stories , but this book wasn't too bad.
Kelsey
Feb 10, 2014 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Essays were hysterical
Cathy
Jan 14, 2014 Cathy rated it liked it
Marian Keyes' essays seem light but they are rather dark under the surface. There are hints of her unhappiness, insecurity...which makes for a hard to digest short story collection. I thought I was reading something funny, but I supposed incorrectly.
Bridget Wright
Oct 30, 2014 Bridget Wright rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quit-readig
I quit reading it after 2 days. I was bored to death!
Beverly
Jun 23, 2008 Beverly rated it really liked it
Recommended to Beverly by: Susan E
A thank you to my friend Susan for turning me on to this fun author. This book sat on the nightstand for about a year as I am not one that usually reads short stories but this book really read more like a novel. I felt like I got to know the author through her series of essays mostly about herself and her family. I loved her writing and her sense of humor and look forward to reading more by her, and to passing this one along to more friends.
Jun 09, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While I didn't enjoy this quite as much as "Under the Duvet", it's still a great read. Marian's views on many things in her life have that wonderful humorous buzz that she's well known (and well read) for. If you're new to her writing, start with the Walsh sister series, and then move on to these latter two to see how much of her personality shines through in her non-fiction works as well. Hope there will be more like this.
MsSmartiePants ...like the candy...
Always entertaining, this Irish author is a favorite of mine. I like to peruse the used book stores for inexpensive copies of books by a short list of authors. This book is a collection of essays written from the perspective of an educated, well traveled, modern woman on various subjects from men to make up! This is the kind of nice, light, fun reading I like to do when I'm unwinding from my day.
Martha
May 24, 2015 Martha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny, essays, chick-lit, irish
Marian Keyes is getting addictive, with her uniquely personal style: funny, Irish, yet a little dark underneath.
Mirah W
Aug 27, 2011 Mirah W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection. I think I preferred the essays to the short stories, especially the essays on travel...I felt like she was voicing my opinions and that we had shared experiences. The essay on the Russian orphans was particularly well done. Keyes was very honest in these essays...it was refreshing to read pieces that felt so sincere.
Abby
Mar 08, 2009 Abby rated it really liked it
Recommended to Abby by: others by the author
This book was neat, half short stories and when you got to the end of them you turned th ebook upside down and backwards to read the essay half. That being said, I liked the story side a lot more than the essays. Her first book of essays was much more enthralling. These were not bad, just not quite as gripping. Still worth a read.
mellyana
Marian Keyes is one of the first writer I read in this genre. I found her view is refreshing. I started reading her stories more than 10 years ago.

This is a compilation of her stories - similar with under the duvet. I like her honesty in it. Funny with a very specific point of view - her view.
Susanna
Apr 10, 2010 Susanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book with a variety of short novels. Marian Keyes has the rare ability to make distress situation into an enlighted event. Her non-pretentious style in writing and self-depreciating sense of humor will make you laugh out loud and crave for more. Highly recommended.
Leeann
Aug 09, 2009 Leeann rated it it was ok
Love this Irish author and her dry sense of humor. I've read every fictional novel she's written, so now I'm reading some of her short stories and humorous articles about life. I've read most of it but have lost interest, so this is not one of my favorites of hers.
Danielle
Cracks in My Foundation is a collection of previously published essays and a small collection of short stories by Marian Keyes. I found the essays to be amusing, but found I could take or leave the short stories. Some of them I enjoyed, while others I didn't care for.
Mykette
Oct 15, 2008 Mykette rated it really liked it
I really like Marian Keyes as an author so it's fun to read about her real life. You can see bits of her characters in her, but she also write about people very different from her as well. She's a fun Irish girl who is humble enough to admit her flaws.
Heather Adkins
Dec 24, 2009 Heather Adkins rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marian-keyes
So totally Marian. Not only are the magazine articles so true to life and freaking funny, her short stories are works of art. The characters are everything you expect from a Marian story, and the subject matter hits harder than most. Much recommended.
Jan
Aug 07, 2014 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-on-kindle
Good collection of short stories from Marian Keyes. Some were laugh out loud funny, others were touching and heartwarming.
Lisa
Jun 22, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
Again, Marian Keyes' essays are good, but not as good as her fiction, but this collection also contains several short stories by her and is worth reading for those alone. There are also a few interesting essays about her charitable work.
Molly
Dec 17, 2007 Molly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: chick lit readers and other cheerful folks
Marion Keyes is such a cheering writer, even when writing about her own life low. I had my mother read the essay on an Irish family all hoarding bread on a vacation and she liked it so much that she went out and bought the book.
Kay
Apr 28, 2009 Kay rated it liked it
After I finished Under the Duvet, I was eager for more Keyes. This was similarly fun. I enjoyed the opportunity to read some of her earliest short stories and to hear the back story about them.
  • Irish Girls about Town
  • On The Verge
  • Like Mother, Like Daughter
  • Check, Please!: Dating, Mating, and Extricating
  • Party Animal
  • Inappropriate Men (Red Dress Ink)
  • Playing House
  • Far From Over
  • Miss Understanding
  • Straight Up
  • Ladies' Night at  Finbar's Hotel
Marian Keyes (born 10 September 1963) is an Irish novelist and non-fiction writer, best known for her work in women's literature. She is an Irish Book Awards winner. Over 22 million copies of her novels have been sold worldwide and her books have been translated into 32 languages. She became known worldwide for Watermelon, Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married, and This Charming Man, with themes includ ...more
More about Marian Keyes...