Start by marking “The Adventures of Robin Hood” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Robin Hood

The Adventures of Robin Hood

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,441 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The classic story of the man who robbed from the rich to give to the poor comes alive with vibrant illustrations from celebrated artist Greg Hildebrandt. Escape to Sherwood Forest and join the jolly Fellowship of the Greenwood with these rollicking tales of the celebrated archer and gentleman thief. Lively episodes introduce each of the famous merry men and other colorful ...more
Published January 3rd 2005 by Running Press Kids (first published 1891)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Robin Hood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Robin Hood

Wolf's Head by Steven A. McKayHood by Stephen R. LawheadThe Outlaws of Sherwood by Robin McKinleySherwood by Parke GodwinScarlet by A.C. Gaughen
Best Robin Hood Fiction
37th out of 55 books — 49 voters
Once Upon a Road Trip by Angela N. BlountGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingJeweler's Apprentice by E. Kaiser WritesThe Case of the Wayward Fae by H.L.  Stephens
Every Single Good Book In The World
24th out of 57 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Valerie
I plan on reading more retellings of Robin Hood so I figured why not read the original? Or at least one of the more original ones. This is why I read it, and also it is a free e-book. I hope the retellings are better. Not that this was bad. It just felt like a lot of short stories about the same person. And short stories are never my favorite. The stories were interesting but too simplistic for me.

Some of the chapters felt kind of repetitive even though they are all different and set up in a seq
Tori
The reason I found this book interesting is because for all the Robin Hood based stories I've seen, I don't think I've actually read the original base stories such as these. Also, it was cool to read something and think, "Hey! I saw something like that in Hood by Lawhead. Or, "Look, that's something used in Ivanho!"
Carina
I really did like this retelling of the classic tale of Robin Hood. It was just how I would have pictured it, and I even learned something about the plot that I hadn't known before. I recommend this for anyone who wants a light read, as this is a nice quick to read book.
Bethany
Unlike many Robin Hood books aimed at children, McSpadden's telling does not focus on a single episode from the legends, instead devoting about a full-text page to each tale. Interestingly, because this book is adapted from a novel a great deal more detail about the beginning and end of Robin's life is included in the telling. The reader is actually given a good idea when the stories are set and it is explained why Robin lives as an outlaw, which is a rarity in adaptations aimed at children.

Thou
04mattl
The version of The Adventures of Robin Hood that I read and am writing this review for was written by Howard Pyle and is a Landoll Classic, that version is not on Goodreads. The adventures of Robin Hood is a good book about a man who takes from the rich and gives to the poor. This story is a good one for people of all ages that want to hear the legend of Robin Hood. The main problem or issue the book addresses is how Robin of Locksley, becomes Robin of the Hood or otherwise known as Robin Hood. ...more
Noah
Do you think its possible for their to be a mean policemen and a good thief. Whether you do or do not believe this I still suggest you take a look at the book Robin Hood and his Merry Outlaws, because it will either strengthen your belief in good outlaws and bad policemen or it will completely change your perspective if you don’t believe there is such a thing. Robin Hood and his Merry Outlaws follows the story of a young man named Robin of Locksley who was the son of the head forester and had as ...more
Karina1
There are many books that can tell the mythical story of Robin Hood, but not as lively as J. Walker did. The book starts on how he came to be known as the outlaw, to the day that he died. Every chapter contains a new adventure that would lead to another. But I enjoyed reading the stories on how he met the members of his group, and the mischiefs he would to the Sheriff of Nottingham.

I really liked how this book also taught me the way they spoke during the time, which really lets you live in that
Aaron Schwartz
I had a great time with this book. It's just a damn good adventure. And a lot of "See that thing? Bet I can shoot it. Ok I did-HAHA let's all have some ale that we stole." Loved it.
Carlijne
Mar 22, 2014 Carlijne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Rianna
My goodness, what a beautiful story. I have always been interested in stories like these, with chivalry and knights and archers, but this was the absolute best. I love it, and I think I always will.
Alexandra Sinkus
Genre: Traditional Literature
Awards: None
Grade: 5-6

I have always loved the tale of Robin Hood and his Merrie Men. I would include this in my classroom for the older students because it is a bit more to read and understand. I would read a chapter a day to the students. The classic tale is a nice one to come back to and would be great to share with the students whom I'm sure have heard of it or have even read a version. I would have activities with each chapter and end with a cumulative test.
Linda
This book is meant for school-age kids, and its simplicity and fun are geared perfectly for that. What I particularly enjoyed about this book was that when they used an archaic word or word that youngsters might not understand, they would call it out and define it. I learned some things!

It's a simple introduction to Robin Hood, and having never read the "true" story of the famous outlaw, I could go to my grave feeling satisfied in my want to know more.
Christine
classic tale, very well written
Cleolinda
I bought it primarily for the Hildebrandt illustrations--glossy and sunlit--but discovered a really lovely, comprehensive retelling of the Robin Hood legend(s). If you've heard it, it's in here--the duel with Little John, holding the Sheriff captive for dinner in the woods, saving friends from the gallows. It's also really fun to read if you're up on your Plantagenet family history (recommended: Alison Weir's Eleanor of Aquitaine).
M. Rivera
Just downloaded this from Project Gutenberg onto my Nook. I love Robin Hood stories. I have recently discovered that I have alot more interest in old literature than new literature. We will see how this version of Robin Hood stands up to the version in my head.
Geoff

This is an abridged edition of Walker McSpadden's version of RH. Neither is worth reading but this one has Greg Hildebrandt's artwork. And these lush illustrations are worth having!

If I could rate the art only this would be six stars!

Alice Honey
What a fun adventure! I was sad to see it end. It only took a few pages to get the Disney version characters out I my head. Loved it and can't wait to live through it again.
Amanda
This was pretty good. Although, I have to say I prefer the Disney ending, where Robin and Maid Marian get married and live happily ever after.
pjr8888

Christmas
1958

Mother and Dad"
Kaitlin
One of the books I read over and over as a kid. This book is like an old friend.
Susan Jo Grassi
What a fun book. Whether it be myth or fact, it was still exciting.
Efosa Enomayo
I would like to read the book.

Alejandro "Heir of Breath"
good, ive read better
Rachel
Rachel is currently reading it
Oct 29, 2014
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood: An English Legend
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Lady of the Forest
  • Alaeddin And The Enchanted Lamp
  • Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest (Scholastic Junior Classics)
  • The Boy's King Arthur: Sir Thomas Malory's History of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table
  • Spacer and Rat
  • Robin Hood
  • The Story of King Arthur and His Knights (Signet Classics)
  • Robin Hood
  • The Forestwife (Forestwife Saga, #1)
  • Sherwood (Sherwood, #1)
  • The Swineherd
  • King Arthur and His Knights (Children's Classics)
  • Eleanor, Quiet No More
  • Sherwood: Original Stories from the World of Robin Hood
The Adventures Of Robin Hood & His Merry Outlaws (Greenwich House Classics Library) Boys' Book of Famous Soldiers The Adventures of Robin Hood Indian Heroes Famous Ghost Stories