Start by marking “Miss Me When I'm Gone” as Want to Read:
Miss Me When I'm Gone

Miss Me When I'm Gone

Read Philip Stephens's blogs and other content on the Penguin Community.

"A lavishly written, vividly imagined, and wholly compelling work of fiction...I was spellbound. Often, in fact, I was in awe."
-Tim O'Brien

After years of indie-label exile, folk singer Cyrus Harper returns to Apogee, Missouri, to tend to his mother. But the musical and haunted world of his past i
Published January 25th 2011 by Plume (first published December 9th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Me When I'm Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Me When I'm Gone

Casey
May 24, 2011 Casey rated it really liked it
I was initially drawn to Philip Stephens's debut novel, Miss Me When I'm Gone, because of the setting--the Ozark region of southern Missouri--and my personal interest in that area. I read a review in the KC Star when I was home visiting my parents early this spring, and the book seemed worth checking out; plus, Stephens lives in KC, so I felt good supporting a "local" author. Miss Me When I'm Gone certainly delivers on the setting--a fictional town called Apogee in the lakes region of the Ozarks ...more
Quiltgranny
Sep 20, 2013 Quiltgranny rated it it was ok
This book was extremely disappointing, and quite frankly a waste of my time. It was clear that a thesaurus was used extensively to bolster "lavishly written" expectations, but the vocabulary just never quite rang true. The story line was difficult to follow, and there seemed to no clear path moving forward or back, and whatever "path" there was quickly disintegrated with frequent insertions of music lyrics that seemed to have no bearing on the plot/story. This style is only artistic when it work ...more
Manda
Feb 07, 2012 Manda rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Summary: penniless drunk musician goes back home to see his dying mother, struggles with mystery of missing sister. Roots music, dysfunctional families, what we'll do to get by, the thin veil between madness and reality, the past is past.

My thoughts: I don't know why, but I lost interest part way through. Perhaps I'm just interested in happy tales these days.
Tuck
Feb 17, 2011 Tuck rated it really liked it
gritty, "true-to-life", hillbilly semi-saga about a man who returns from so cal back to his family home in the ozarks. the beautiful river has been damned and lake is full of jet skis (one character calls it the big sewer or something like that), all the old folks are dead and their farms have been turned into 2nd homes on 10 acre lots, the main businesses in town are strip clubs and drinking (and meth), love is hard to find, and kind of complicated when found, I LOVE POETS WHO WRITE NOVELS.
jam
Armando
Apr 06, 2011 Armando rated it did not like it
Shelves: random
not a very good read, it looks like there are two stories in one but towards the end you know they dont have anything to do with each other. there were some parts interesting but not enough to make this a good book
Vicki Christensen
Jul 10, 2011 Vicki Christensen rated it it was ok
Strange, and sad. I kept reading it because I hoped something important in the story would be resolved in the end. It wasn't.
Katie
Feb 22, 2013 Katie rated it it was ok
Not what I expected - literally. I have a habit of NOT reading blurbs since they often reveal too much. However, since I found this book via the e-library (for my Kindle) I thought I should preview something beyond the book cover since no 1st page was readily available.

So my hasty blurb scan had me prepped for a story with a light dusting of the supernatural about how one down-on-his-luck musician is the focal point for explaining, sustaining, & reviving great musical hits of the post-Elvis
Jul 11, 2015 Laura rated it it was ok
I picked this book up at a paperback sale. It was OK. It wasn't terrible. It was strange, however, and there was little to no resolution at the end, so I found that depressing. Interesting style of writing, as the author goes between characters and writes very differently between them. I liked that.
Becky Hirtzel
Jan 31, 2014 Becky Hirtzel rated it liked it
What a crazy story! Drugs, alcohol, homelessness, mental illness, murder, and rock-a-billy music, this book has it all. The author might have been better advised to stick to one theme. It all takes place in Missouri - I hope the author is not from here and that is why he has included so many silly stereotypes. Entertaining in a "what the heck?!" kind of way.
Pat
Jul 18, 2014 Pat rated it did not like it
When I finished the book, I asked myself, "What was that all about?" I felt that Stephens had several book ideas and couldn't decide which to use, so he tossed them all into one book. The result: a strange, wandering, messy novel.

Diana
May 09, 2014 Diana rated it did not like it
not so great
Ric
May 20, 2011 Ric rated it liked it
An odd book, tracing two seperate storylines that never really connect. Heavy on atmosphere (definitely one of the book's strengths) and skillfully written but also heavy on Southern Gothic madness, which doesn't quite work. A minor irritation: if one of the main characters is a musician, and you're going to name check fictional songs, please stop at, say, a hundred or so. The absurd amount of made-up song names just grates after a while.
Claire Wessel
May 20, 2011 Claire Wessel rated it it was ok
I found myself getting lost a lot in the story. If you have zero knowledge/interest of fiddle music, old country music, blues then you either have to skip stuff, get lost and confused (like I did), or simply not read this book. I think if a person had knowledge of that type of music, it would be an easier read and an enjoyable book, it just wasn't for me, but it was still good enough to finish reading it.
Alex Witkowski
Dec 15, 2015 Alex Witkowski rated it liked it
Solid book--some good moments--but the parallel stories never thematically converged, and I found myself much more interested in the first character than the second character. There were also some moments that were incredibly hard to follow, but without reason. I like a lot of ideas in here, but it fell a little short for me.
Edie Leffingwell
Feb 07, 2011 Edie Leffingwell rated it it was ok
I found the book very hard to follow. It was written by a Missouri author and takes place in the Ozarks. One line I found quotable: "The past lay like land on the far side of a bridge you crossed over many times, until the bridge collapsed and you could not tell which side you were on."
Virginia
Mar 21, 2012 Virginia rated it liked it
Cyrus misses his sister, Saro. Margaret misses her kids. Their paths cross when Cyrus goes home to bury his mom and Margaret kills some kids. This book was OK, but I wouldn't recommend it. It just had no purpose.
Carrie
Jun 13, 2012 Carrie rated it liked it
Trying at times to be Falknerian; i enjoyed it mostly for the Ozark repartee between the characters.
Linda
Sep 19, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it
very interesting twisty story
Diane S ☔
Started out strong and than lost me.
Michael
Sep 16, 2011 Michael rated it it was ok
meh.
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Thomasin
Thomasin marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Canary8808
Canary8808 marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Arielle Rozen
Arielle Rozen marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Katina stewart
Katina stewart marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Chi Trần
Chi Trần rated it it was ok
Nov 09, 2015
Susie Dordek
Susie Dordek marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Sharonm
Sharonm marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Coconut Hunter
Coconut Hunter rated it it was ok
Aug 30, 2015