Start by marking “Romanticism: Poems” as Want to Read:
Romanticism: Poems

Romanticism: Poems

Romanticism explores and challenges the central ideas of high Romanticism: the tragedy and gallantry of the individual’s life journey, the appeal of revolution and violence, the beckoning forces of Nature, and the estrangement from but constant longing for God. Here is a powerful argument for the primacy of strong emotion.

“Ungeliebt”

So I offered a bargain:

All of
Published January 24th 2011 by W. W. Norton Company (first published June 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Romanticism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Romanticism

Brittany
Apr 17, 2015 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Favorites: A Chthonic Deity, Waking Alone, Straw Flowers, Concerning Romanticism-War, Sonnenwendenlieder (Solstice Songs)-Ungeliebt
Tim
Jun 22, 2009 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over the years I have heard April Bernard read a number of these poems and have been waiting patiently for them to come out in a book. Although I haven't finished I am not disappointed.
Diann Blakely
April Bernard’s first, eponymously titled collection, BLACKBIRD BYE BYE, resonated with notes and meaning that continue to echo in ROMANTICISM, her latest book: “Oh, what hard-luck stories they all hand me,” goes the Mort Dickinson and Ray Henderson standard, “Make my bed and light the light / I’ll arrive late tonight, Blackbird bye bye.” What has changed is the broadened scope of those hard-luck stories, sung with dazzle, fury, and a apocalyptic undertone, accompanied by Bernard’s downright wic ...more
Jlawrence
Jan 22, 2017 Jlawrence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In her fourth book of poetry, April Bernard looks at romanticism, both literary and personal, through several facets, in poems rueful, sharp and elegant. In particular, the multi-poem series "Concerning Romanticism" and "Sonnenwendenlieder (Solistice Songs)" are incredible, and I also loved "The Oft-Wedded Waif" an "homage to Edward Gorey" which easily summoned in my mind the imaginary Gorey illustrations that should accompany it.
J.M. Hushour
Feb 21, 2013 J.M. Hushour rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the greatest living poets, if not the! It's bizarre, yet shouldn't be surprising that talents like this are unknown and publish only a few titles while millions listen to "Kidz Bop" with disgusting glee.
Terry
Nov 22, 2009 Terry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I don't feel authoritative enough to hold forth on a particular collection's merits or shortcomings; all I can define is what I like--what resonates with me, what touches me emotionally, and/or engages me intellectually--and I liked this.
Pat
Jan 05, 2010 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Brava!

May these tear-dripped cookies secure her fortune
southward, to the end of
seasons.
Abby
Abby rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2009
Dionne
Dionne rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2015
evan
evan rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2012
Ryan Biracree
Ryan Biracree rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2011
Valerie
Valerie rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2010
Janel Schroth
Janel Schroth rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2011
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Claudia
Claudia rated it liked it
May 19, 2010
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2010
rinabeana
rinabeana rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2010
Isobel
Isobel rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2015
Jolene
Jolene rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2013
Arman Avasia
Arman Avasia rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2015
Matthew David Campbell
Matthew David Campbell rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
G I Goodrich
G I Goodrich rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2015
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Yachna Prasher
Yachna Prasher rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2011
Nelie
Nelie rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2011
William D. Lindsey
William D. Lindsey rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2013
April Bernard is the author of three poetry collections and a novel. Her writing has appeared in The New Yorker, the Boston Review, the New York Review of Books, and elsewhere. She lives in Bennington, Vermont.
More about April Bernard...