The Werewolf Principle

The Werewolf Principle

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  456 ratings  ·  24 reviews
From the book cover:
Andrew Blake is found in a space capsule on a distant planet and is brought back to an unfamiliar Earth, where antigravity devices have replaced the wheel, and houses talk and even fly!
Yet nothing is as strange as Blake's own feelings. Tormented by eerie sensations and loss of memory, he doesn't know who he really is or exactly where he has come from....more
Published 1971 by Macmillan (first published 1967)

Tom Loock
Was it just to surprise myself when I re-read The Werewolf Principle by Clifford D. Simak out of the blue?
I have pleasant memories of reading a couple of Simaks at the same time in the 70s and picked this one at random for a revisit.

Though published in the 60s, it reads more like a 1950s novel when it comes to multiple predictions about the future (yes, the ever-popular flying cars and space travel, though people still have to walk across the room to answer a phone with optional visuals) and th...more
Frank
Simak pens good sci-fi adventure stories. This one was much more cerebral, and there was a lot to digest and think about when reading this one. The end could have used more expansion. It feels like he ended it too quickly. Still, I am a Simak fan and this was worth my time.
Matteo Pellegrini

Una presenza oscura e dimenticata
Un enigma sconvolgente

In una notte di uragano, il senatore Horton sente bussare alla porta della sua casa di campagna. Va ad aprire egli stesso, e si trova di fronte a... Niente di straordinario. Sulla soglia c'e soltanto un comune giovanotto di nome Andrew Blake, che ha perduto la strada. Ma chi è il Cambiante? Chi è il Cercante? Chi è il Pensante? E come mai, se i lupi sono estinti da decenni, una guardia del senatore ne ha visto aggirarsi uno intorno alla cas

Jonathan
He has the most engaging style, you could wallow in it like a herd of hippos. Oh yes, what is the book like... Romance between machines on a future earth.
Jon
Mar 20, 2012 Jon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of New Wave SF, psychology, and bioengineering
A highly entertaining read. Simak's voice and outright command of language and imagery are superb. He puts unimaginable concepts into words that elucidate even as they mystify. His nods towards philosophy and the frequent humor are welcome amongst the prevailing typical sci-fi prose.

[SLIGHT SPOILERS BELOW]

I thoroughly enjoyed the interaction between the three beings, and that is what probably kept me reading more than any other aspect. I also loved the personalities of the talking houses and on...more
Tracey
I received The Werewolf Principle as part of a book swap. For whatever reason, I've never read much of Simak's work - so was looking forward to reading this.

Andrew Blake is brought back to earth, after being found in suspended animation around a distant star. He has amnesia, and appears to suffer from blackouts as well - except something/someone else takes over while he is gone. He discovers that he has somehow assimilated the minds and appearances of two other creatures - a wolflike Quester an...more
Jean Corbel
The base concept is thrilling, and I will not develop to avoid kind of spoiler. However, the development of the characters and the shortcomings of the scenario reduce a potentiel 5 stars to a modest 3.
Michael Hall
A great book that deals with the philosophical meanings of humanity and identity. Even though the beginning may start you out thinking this is a werewolf tale, it is not. Andrew Blake is human, but he is also more than that. The internal dialogue between the main character's inner selves is brilliantly realized, and even has a bit of humor thrown in to help alleviate the inherent anxiety. The personalities found within the talking flying houses, with each room being unique, is amusing as well as...more
Oz Barton
Hovering between a 4 and a 5 on this one.

This is one of those beautiful, old-school sci-fi stories that work really hard at big, existential questions and sweeping philosophical concepts. And also, despite some people saying it's not really a werewolf story, it's certainly close enough to my tastes to count as one.

It's a bit tangled and confusing at first, but by page 60 or 70 everything starts to make sense very quickly. The ending was a little bit too tidy and abrupt for me. Character develop...more
Egle
Наталья
Люблю Саймака...
Cécile C.
The story of an extraterrestrial schizophrenia... The main interest of this book lies in the dialogue between the three distinct entities that share the body of the hero, a former space explorer. The three include one human that has not been back to the Earth for centuries, and two alien beings from very primitive planets, that are suddenly thrown into an entirely mechanised society, in which houses fly and play nanny to their inhabitants. A fun read.
Vlad Hrabrov
Read it back in mid 80's while still in Ukraine as one of my little projects to get fluent in English, instantly loved the book: ideas, tempo, plot, view into future: all that was pretty amazing.
Re-read a couple of years back fully expecting that it all would sound funny, obsolete, like a century-old science fiction book yet it was as fresh as if it were written just a few short years back, one of Simak's best and my favorite.
Highly recommended!
Steve Goble
It is not about a werewolf, but it is about a human who becomes something more than human. At times it reads like Leiber, at times like Heinlein. Some action, some weirdness, some philosophical chunks to chew on. Good stuff.
Donna Humble
This is a very odd book and I like it. The writing kept me interested and wanting to keep turning the pages.
Erik Graff
Feb 23, 2012 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Simak fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
As the Wikipedia notes: "In the future, it is easier to engineer man to fit an alien world, than to re-engineer the alien world to fit man."
Tradegy Booze
If you'd like to know what I thought of this book, please contact me directly and I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

All the best,

- TB
Frank Taranto
A good story with interesting characters. Defintely not a werewolf story, though the beginning makes it look like it will be.
Sara
Not as good as Goblin Reservation. Interesting cross-species angle though. The ending is a bit unbelievable
Aaron
An amusing and well paced beginning devolves into a stilted and disconnected second half.
Padre
A bit hard to read initially, but very rewarding once you 'get it'.
Dreamer
Read in 1973 when I was 15 according to my old diary..
Robert

Some great ideas in this, but it drags on a bit too long.
Alejandro
Weak prose kills off a good idea.
Andre
Andre added it
Jul 11, 2014
  • The Seedling Stars
  • Journey Beyond Tomorrow
  • The Ring of Charon (The Hunted Earth, #1)
  • Звёздная тень (Звёздный лабиринт #2)
  • Of Men and Monsters
  • Colossus
  • Hestia
  • Galaxies Like Grains of Sand
  • The Ganymede Takeover
  • Son of Man
  • Operation Chaos (Operation Otherworld, #1)
  • Needle (Needle, #1)
  • Enemy Mine
  • The Door in the Wall and Other Stories
  • What Mad Universe
"He was honored by fans with three Hugo awards and by colleagues with one Nebula award and was named the third Grand Master by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) in 1977." (Wikipedia)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford...
More about Clifford D. Simak...
Way Station City The Goblin Reservation Time and Again All Flesh is Grass