Start by marking “Strange Toys” as Want to Read:
Strange Toys

Strange Toys

This novel takes the reader on parallel tours into the world of the supernatural and into the life of a young woman struggling to make peace with the known and the unknown. Told with the skill of a master storyteller.--MacDonald Harris, author of The Little People.
Mass Market Paperback, 248 pages
Published June 1st 1987 by Spectra

To ask other readers questions about Strange Toys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strange Toys

Jack Tripper
Mar 23, 2016 Jack Tripper rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, fantasy, weird
description

(1987 Bantam Spectra mass-market with Leo and Diane Dillon art, 248 pages. Cover shown up top for this edition is actually the 1989 reprint).

Strange Toys, Patricia Geary's brilliant but slightly flawed sophomore novel, follows narrator Pet through three critical times in her life, times when inexplicable supernatural events encroach into her reality. The first section, and by far the most captivating for me, details a cross-country road trip with her proto-hippie parents and her bossy, slightly
Maya Panika
Oct 28, 2009 Maya Panika rated it liked it
This started brilliantly. I was instantly swept into Pet’s world, her grotesquely vile older sisters, the oddness of the sudden flight from the family home and subsequent strange, fated journey, but what on earth happened in the third part of the book? I’ve read it twice now and I still don’t know.

There’s rather a lot I didn’t really get and I’m left wondering if it was just me, am I a bit thick, missing Big Flashing Pointy-Hands of metaphor and reference. Was there a point to the dead kitten,
R.
Sep 22, 2014 R. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Got this at the library for two bits. Looks to be a bit Bone Clocksy.

---

So amazing. So amazing.

---

An invigorating story about a woman's growth from tragical but magical childhood to independent and strong adulthood - this book is, sadly, hard to find (I found mine in a bargain bin at the library).

The novel has a bad-ass backstory, too:

Patricia Geary never meant to be a science fiction writer. But when her editor at Bantam Books got into a personal dispute with the head of the department, she
Amanda
May 24, 2014 Amanda rated it it was ok
The book was well written and had excellent sensory details and realistic characters...it just didn't really have a satisfactory conclusion or much of a conclusion at all....
William Thomas
If it had not been for the superb narrative, it would have received 2 stars. I cannot fathom how this won the Philip K Dick award. It shows no signs of Dick's morality or even his creativity. This book feels incomplete- as I the editor threw out 200 pages wherever they wished. Part 1 is overly long and the other 2 parts are not complete in any sense. It fails to explain itself on many levels. Severely disppointing because the writing was phenomenal.
Nayad Monroe
Jun 24, 2016 Nayad Monroe rated it liked it
Like many other reviewers here, I enjoyed the first and second sections of this book, and then was grievously disappointed by the final section and especially the ending, which I did not understand at all. I appreciated the first part enough to give the whole thing a 3-star rating, but I can't recommend it.
Mo
Oct 28, 2013 Mo rated it it was amazing
Read this when it came out, back in the late 80s, and remember LOVING it. Reading it again, and it's as good as I remember :).
Arlene Allen
Aug 11, 2010 Arlene Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Definitely one of the oddest books I've ever read...but I loved the road trip and her little collection - she reminded me of me...
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
May 03, 2017
Catie
Catie rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2011
Chandler Smith
Chandler Smith rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2013
Thomas Cotterill
Thomas Cotterill rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2012
Tobias
Tobias rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Marcus
Marcus rated it it was ok
Jun 01, 2016
Matthew Larrey
Matthew Larrey rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Gerri Leen
Gerri Leen rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2011
M.b. Turner
M.b. Turner rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2011
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2014
Tim Newton
Tim Newton rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2014
خليل حسن
خليل حسن rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Bowsty
Bowsty rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2012
J.D.
J.D. rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2012
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2011
Dave H
Dave H rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2011
Kathryn Friedman
Kathryn Friedman rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2013
Ramzi
Ramzi rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2008
Josiah Sanborn
Josiah Sanborn rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2011
Ellen
Ellen rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Les
Les rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2013
Tali
Tali rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Points of Departure
  • Four Hundred Billion Stars (Four Hundred Billion Stars, #1)
  • Growing Up Weightless
  • King of Morning, Queen of Day
  • Elvissey
  • Life
  • The Troika
  • Terminal Mind
  • Homunculus (Narbondo, #2)
  • Mysterium
  • Dinner at Deviant's Palace
  • Headcrash
  • Spin Control (Spin Trilogy, #2)
  • Emissaries from the Dead (Andrea Cort, #1)
  • 253
  • A Fish Dinner in Memison
  • Brother to Dragons
  • The Mount

“I tried to think the same thought in as many different religions as possible, so the thought itself wouldn't be limited by any particular way of reasoning, the way words restrict -- the whole eskimo-seventeen-words-for-snow idea.” 7 likes
“Poetic spirits didn't need stuff like mathematics; math eroded you and made you ordinary.” 5 likes