A Geography of Oysters

A Geography of Oysters

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In this passionate, playful, and indispensable guide, oyster aficionado Rowan Jacobsen takes readers on a delectable tour of the oysters of North America. Region by region, he describes each oyster's appearance, flavor, origin, and availability, as well as explaining how oysters grow, how to shuck them without losing a finger, how to pair them with wine (not to mention bee...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published September 4th 2007)

Valerie
A Geography of Oysters is a beautiful book about one of my favorite foods. I first heard of it when it won a James Beard award in the food reference category.

Jacobsen goes into the history of the oyster, as well as providing a guide and comments on the 132 most frequently encountered varieties. There's also a Q & A as well as a few recipes in the back.

An interesting point that he brought up is that everyone remembers their first oyster. Mine was at a party on a Cape Cod beach when I was thir...more
davidson mulkey
Mar 02, 2008 davidson mulkey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: andrew
This is an amazing resource if you are a fan of oysters. My first date with my wife was at the "Oyster Bar" in Grand Central Station here in NYC. Back then we just ordered a bunch of things that were less than $3. Years have passed we began to eat A LOT and learn which ones we liked and little by little we developed knowledge of what we thought was good. It was fun and really, really expensive. If we had bought this book back then we could have saved thousands of dollars not to mention the lives...more
Andrew
The single greatest book on bivalves I have ever had the pleasure to read. Funny, informative, moving. This book will warm your heart and strengthen your adductor muscle.
Crystal
Did you know oysters are mobile and have some visual acuity early in their lives, but then voluntarily give up locomotion and sight? Or that they are sequential hermaphrodites that can change sex from year to year? Are you familiar with the nuances of "merroir"? (Think "terroir" for sea-dwellers.) This is the so-called Oyster Bible, and it will tell you everything you want (or didn't want) to know about the bivalve. I picked it up only because my boss handed it to me, but it was actually highly...more
Brandon Daviet
A great guide who anyone who likes eating oyster. Tons of cool facts, history and different kinds of oyster's. A foodie book with humor and knowledge.
Melinda
This book is incredibly informative, yet an easy read. I expected to use it as a reference, but I found that Rowan Jacobson's conversational tone (cheeky at times!) and the logical flow of the text made it impossible not to read A Geography of Oysters from cover to cover. This is expository writing at its best. Having read this book, I look forward to exploring and savoring the incredible variety of oysters rather than always expecting the perfectly briny crunch and squish of a Pemaquid or other...more
Emma
A must for oyster foodies. Inspired to do a grand tour of oyster lands
Jill
This turned out to be a great reference book for oysters. I had no idea there were so many different kinds! Tells you how they grow, different farming methods, historical development, what types are from where and what their flavors are, what sort of oysters you are most likely to like based on a categorization of palates, and then safety and other questions answered at the end.
Jeannie
Highly recommended! In particular, I was delighted to come across the section, "What kind of oyster eater are you?" Interesting recommendations on the kinds of oysters that suit different taste preferences. I also enjoyed the recommendations of martini, beer, sake, and water pairings with oysters, after the very thorough wine-oyster pairing section.
Diane C.
Looking for an approachable, informative, comprehensive, witty and affectionate book about the world oysters?

You couldn't do better than this one. Rowan Jacobsen writes so wonderfully about food. His other books are amazing too.
Cherry
Jun 23, 2008 Cherry marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
started in on this at the workplace library. it's an interesting read for those of you who enjoy whole books dedicated to such things of the sea (i.e. cod, lobsters, giant squid). it's also a good read for someone who must know the differences between seven or so different oysters at the drop of the hat.
Ruben
Good book if used as a reference. Not really a straight through and read book, although it tries to set itself up that way. Useful information written irreverently at times (which I enjoyed.) Would be a good buy for future use as you explore oysters.
Oli
Very good book on the diversity of Oysters. Eye opening read. Highly recommended.
Mary
I love food books by people who actually know how to write more than food reviews. This is a great book for anyone interested in understanding where oysters come from, how they grow, and how to pick the best tasting.
Glenn Van
What an amazing read for the oyster and non-oyster enthusiast. OK, possible more of interest to the oyster lovers. Oysters of all countries and origins are represented, just a fascinating book.
Linda
This is a must-have, must-read for anyone who is an oyster aficicionado. It will, however, make you hungry for oysters, so plan accordingly and do NOT read it at midnight on a Saturday...
Christina Boyle
This is one of the only comprehensive guides to oysters. It's also incredibly helpful in better understanding this delicious and reputationally "risky" delicacies.
Ryan C
Great book for oyster amateurs and pros alike. Very easy read. Check out the website for helpful oyster cheat/reference sheets.
Jon Choi
An insightful, passionate, and extremely useful guide to oysters and oyster farming in North America.
Chris
Time again for the great mollusk.
Ryan
Ryan is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
Michelle Jackson
Michelle Jackson is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2014
Dahlia Grossman-Heinze
Dahlia Grossman-Heinze marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Rowan Jacobsen is the James Beard Award-winning author of A Geography of Oysters: The Connoisseur’s Guide to Oyster Eating in North America, Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis, and The Living Shore, about our ancient connection to estuaries and their potential to heal the oceans. He has written for the New York Times, Newsweek, Harper’s, Outside, Eatin...more
More about Rowan Jacobsen...
Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis American Terroir: Savoring the Flavors of Our Woods, Waters, and Fields The Living Shore: Rediscovering a Lost World Shadows on the Gulf: A Journey through Our Last Great Wetland Chocolate Unwrapped: The Surprising Health Benefits of America's Favorite Passion