Start by marking “Sprawl” as Want to Read:
Sprawl

Sprawl

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  26 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Sprawl is an exciting new original anthology, edited by Alisa Krasnostein and published by Twelfth Planet Press, that will give readers from around the world a unique glimpse into the strange, dark, and often wondrous magics that fill the days and nights of Australia’s dreaming cities and towns, homes and parks, and most of all, its endlessly stretching suburbs.

Table of Co
Published October 2010 by Twelfth Planet Press

To ask other readers questions about Sprawl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sprawl

Anna Hepworth
Jan 17, 2015 Anna Hepworth rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
On finishing, my thoughts were, "...but the last story left such an unpleasant feeling that it brings the whole collection down. This was not helped by the preceeding two stories also being unpleasant stories about unpleasant people". And then I looked back through, and realised that in the main, they are all horrible stories about horrible people. Working from the back:

"Her Gallant Needs", Paul Haines - I don't think I've ever read a nice story by Paul Haines, nor do I think I've ever done anyt
Melanie
Apr 05, 2014 Melanie rated it really liked it
Best anthology I've ever read. ALL the writing was above par! My favourites included:

Tansy Rayner Robert's 'Relentless Adaptations'...I so want to go to a bookshop come coffee shop PLUS a playground!!! Do they only exist in stories and dreams
Marie
Nov 12, 2014 Marie rated it really liked it
A fantastic collection of Australian speculative fiction covering a gamut of genres and tones. The collection seems almost tailor-made for my tastes - lots of what I like (gritty/grumpy female leads, urban fantasy in local(ish) urbs, creepy sliding numinous weirdness) and refreshingly little of what I don't, particularly in the horror division (one unfortunate scary-gross-ladybits story, but that's all, thank goodness).

Highlights:

Tansy Rayner Roberts – Relentless Adaptations
Literary characters
Mark Webb
Mar 09, 2012 Mark Webb rated it it was amazing
I've been looking for speculative fiction anthologies with primarily Australian content recently. The first I came across was Sprawl edited by Alisa Krasnostein (Twelfth Planet Press), which contains a very entertaining array of stories aimed at the Australian suburbs (i.e. not urban fantasy, more likesuburban fantasy). It has stories by some authors I've been recently discovering and loving as well as some whose work I haven't had a chance to see before.

Overall the anthology has a strong Austra
Thoraiya
Oct 26, 2010 Thoraiya rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Disclaimer: One of the stories in this anthology is mine. But ignoring that particular story, I was completely hooked by this anthology. I just kept waiting for the point at where the "best" stories gave way to the fillers, as happens in most anthologies, and then I found myself at the end without having read a single lower-quality contribution.

Get hammered between the eyes by Peter M. Ball. Swoon at the luscious language of Stephanie Campisi. Drift into a dreamlike childhood with Simon Brown. O
Liz Argall
Mar 12, 2013 Liz Argall rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves:
I'm working my way slowly through this lovely anthology. It reminds me of when I was a teenager and picked up Aurealis magazine for the first time and discovered there was a place where stories existed that spoke to my landscape.
Alis
Aug 12, 2015 Alis rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: specfic fans sick of US/UK settings
Shelves: horror, urban-fantasy
Urban fantasy and horror in a suburban Australian setting, written by Australians. Featuring both the place I went to university and the place I grew up in! All of the love. Seriously. Go read this. Go read it right now.
Liz
There are some great stories in this anthology, especially Simon Brown's 'Sweep', Dirk Flinthart's 'Walker' and Angela Slatter's 'Brisneyland by Night'.
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Melissa Ferguson
Melissa Ferguson rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Sylvia Ford
Sylvia Ford rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Eleni Konstantine
Eleni Konstantine marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
A. Dawes
A. Dawes marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Cameron Trost
Cameron Trost rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Ash
Ash marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Alais Harris
Alais Harris marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Simon Ellberger
Simon Ellberger marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Jimbo
Jimbo marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Mick
Mick rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2015
Andrey Dolganov
Andrey Dolganov marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Eli Maher
Eli Maher rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
John Devenny
John Devenny marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Editor and publisher at independent Twelfth Planet Press, creative publishing PhD candidate and recently retired environmental engineer. She is cohost of the twice Hugo nominated Galactic Suburbia Podcast team (www.galacticsuburbia.com).

In 2011, she won the World Fantasy Award for her work at Twelfth Planet Press. She was the Executive Editor and founder of the review website Aussie Specfic in Fo
More about Alisa Krasnostein...

“There was dog shit on her shoe.” 1 likes