Start by marking “Sprawl” as Want to Read:
Sprawl

Sprawl

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Sprawl is an exciting new original anthology, edited by Alisa Krasnostein and published by Twelfth Planet Press, that will give readers from around the world a unique glimpse into the strange, dark, and often wondrous magics that fill the days and nights of Australia’s dreaming cities and towns, homes and parks, and most of all, its endlessly stretching suburbs.

Table of Co
Published October 2010 by Twelfth Planet Press

To ask other readers questions about Sprawl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sprawl

Melanie
Best anthology I've ever read. ALL the writing was above par! My favourites included:

Tansy Rayner Robert's 'Relentless Adaptations'...I so want to go to a bookshop come coffee shop PLUS a playground!!! Do they only exist in stories and dreams
Marie
A fantastic collection of Australian speculative fiction covering a gamut of genres and tones. The collection seems almost tailor-made for my tastes - lots of what I like (gritty/grumpy female leads, urban fantasy in local(ish) urbs, creepy sliding numinous weirdness) and refreshingly little of what I don't, particularly in the horror division (one unfortunate scary-gross-ladybits story, but that's all, thank goodness).

Highlights:

Tansy Rayner Roberts – Relentless Adaptations
Literary characters
Anna Hepworth
On finishing, my thoughts were, "...but the last story left such an unpleasant feeling that it brings the whole collection down. This was not helped by the preceeding two stories also being unpleasant stories about unpleasant people". And then I looked back through, and realised that in the main, they are all horrible stories about horrible people. Working from the back:

"Her Gallant Needs", Paul Haines - I don't think I've ever read a nice story by Paul Haines, nor do I think I've ever done anyt
Mark Webb
I've been looking for speculative fiction anthologies with primarily Australian content recently. The first I came across was Sprawl edited by Alisa Krasnostein (Twelfth Planet Press), which contains a very entertaining array of stories aimed at the Australian suburbs (i.e. not urban fantasy, more likesuburban fantasy). It has stories by some authors I've been recently discovering and loving as well as some whose work I haven't had a chance to see before.

Overall the anthology has a strong Austra
Thoraiya
Oct 26, 2010 Thoraiya rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Disclaimer: One of the stories in this anthology is mine. But ignoring that particular story, I was completely hooked by this anthology. I just kept waiting for the point at where the "best" stories gave way to the fillers, as happens in most anthologies, and then I found myself at the end without having read a single lower-quality contribution.

Get hammered between the eyes by Peter M. Ball. Swoon at the luscious language of Stephanie Campisi. Drift into a dreamlike childhood with Simon Brown. O
Liz Argall
Mar 12, 2013 Liz Argall rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm working my way slowly through this lovely anthology. It reminds me of when I was a teenager and picked up Aurealis magazine for the first time and discovered there was a place where stories existed that spoke to my landscape.
Liz
There are some great stories in this anthology, especially Simon Brown's 'Sweep', Dirk Flinthart's 'Walker' and Angela Slatter's 'Brisneyland by Night'.
Alis
Alis marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
John Devenny
John Devenny marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Danielle Connolly
Danielle Connolly marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Sunil
Sunil marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Elanor Matton-Johnson
Elanor Matton-Johnson marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
A.C. Buchanan
A.C. Buchanan marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Eliza Bentley
Eliza Bentley marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Figgy
Figgy added it
Jan 01, 2014
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Miranda Wood
Miranda Wood marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2013
Rand
Rand marked it as to-read
May 27, 2013
Kasane Teto
Kasane Teto marked it as to-read
May 17, 2013
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
May 07, 2013
Claire Corbett
Claire Corbett marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Editor and publisher at independent Twelfth Planet Press, creative publishing PhD candidate and recently retired environmental engineer. She is cohost of the twice Hugo nominated Galactic Suburbia Podcast team (www.galacticsuburbia.com).

In 2011, she won the World Fantasy Award for her work at Twelfth Planet Press. She was the Executive Editor and founder of the review website Aussie Specfic in Fo
More about Alisa Krasnostein...
Kaleidoscope: Diverse YA Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories New Ceres Nights 2012 Galactic Suburbia Scrapbook #1 Year's Best Young Adult Speculative Fiction 2013

“There was dog shit on her shoe.” 1 likes