Start by marking “Runner's World Complete Book of Running” as Want to Read:
Runner's World Complete Book of Running

Runner's World Complete Book of Running

Good: A copy that has been read, but remains in clean condition. All pages are intact, and the cover is intact (including dust cover, if applicable). The spine may show signs of wear. Pages can include limited notes and highlighting, and the copy can include "From the library of" labels.Some of our books may have slightly worn corners, and minor creases to the covers. Plea ...more
Published October 30th 2007 by Rodale Press, Inc. (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Runner's World Complete Book of Running, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runner's World Complete Book of Running

Patrice Sartor
3.5 stars.

Like other reviewers have noted, this is a compilation of specific articles from Runner's World magazine. I poked around briefly on their web site to see if I could find the exact articles, and I was mostly unsuccessful. It seems if I am willing to pay $20+, that I could get one training plan to help my particular running goals.

Back to the book. There is indeed a wealth of information for runners here, with sections on nutrition, cross-training, and both the half-marathon and the marat
This book has articals helpful to runners with useful advice. Interesting information. I imagine that many things the book talked about may be need to be updated by newer reasearch that has since come out. If I was going to read only one of the three books. I would choose one of the other two. But I can't decide from the other two because I like the charts in the book for beginning marathoners for the stories advice and training charts, the 1/2 and full marathon books I like for the two types of ...more
Rachel Smalter Hall
This was kind of disjointed and poorly edited (several images and page numbers are straight-up missing!), and it felt like a half-hearted attempt to throw together unused copy from the cutting floor of Runner's World. I think its structure of bite-sized chunks, which was probably meant to make it more accessible to people on-the-go, actually works against it. The book did open up my eyes to some of the more elite training methods, though, like intervals, tempo runs, Fartlek, etc., and I found a ...more
Sep 01, 2008 Marnae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love to run! But after being side lined for most of this past year with one injury or another I have decided that it is time to get it figured out and fix it. My husband bought me this book for my birthday (because I wouldn't spend $40.00 on a book/shipping myself). It has full color pictures on every page and is beautiful, but the reason I wanted it is to figure out what I am doing wrong and fix it so I can run forever. After reading the first chapter I have decided to start completely over a ...more
Mar 21, 2013 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a collection of articles from Runner's World and less of a real book. Organized in the right order to take you from baby steps, to complete marathon training programs.

Still, it covers all the basics. From mind set, to training dos and don'ts. Nutrition, cross training, stretching...

Very recommended to the novice runner, although it can be a bit repetitive sometimes.

You can read the book from beginning to end, and gain a better understanding of running lore and jargon. Or if you already k
This was okay, but not what I expected. It was just a disjoined collection of articles loosely put into sections. There was repetitive information since articles maybe mentioned the same things and weren't edited.
It seemed somewhat incomplete like it hadn't been edited for final draft before print. Whenever referencing something within an article is said see "section name" on page XX. (It didn't actually say "section name" but it did have the XX instead of the actual page number!)

That said ther
Jan 01, 2013 Lokman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
bought this at BBW2012 for just rm12,an extremely marginal small price for such a helpful & driving read especially for a beginner like i am. covers the most important basics, and many inspiring anecdotes & time-tested technical tips in training effectively and running wisely. just the kind of book that gets you attached into the subject and then digs other infos about it from other resources out of pure passion.
running is beautiful & i'm so gonna get myself into this pleasure.
2013 -
Nov 21, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Nice compilation of good basic information on running. Some articles were more interesting than others. If I had bought it I would have been more likely to cherry pick the ones that currently interest me rather than readings straight through. The articles specifically about Hal Higdon's marathon training truths and the 3x a week running workout (FIRST) will definitely inform my half marathon training plan...I will be rereading those articles before returning to the library.
Andreas Michaelides
This book is one of my favourites because its a practical guide on how to make a training program, has numerous and helpful training schedules and it's one of the few books I always come back and read it again and again and especially when I am designing a new running training program.
A must have book for anyone that says he/she is a runner.
Runner'sworld publication are always on my top list of books, they combine quality and practicality two virtues I love in books as running is concern.
Jan 14, 2013 Miranda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who is just beginning to seriously train, this book is such a valuable resource! Some parts were mildly repetitive, although I found it useful to see what the most common themes of running were from experienced runners. I really appreciate the information given to develop a running program, marathon training, and circuit training information. I found this book to be incredibly helpful for me, and I'll be keeping it for quite a while.
This well presented book is not much more than a collection of articles from the Runner's World magazines.

The chapters seem randomly ordered - covering what will be less interesting to most readers early on, for example, I think nutrition was chapter 2. The book also ended very abruptly without any kind of wrap up or closing message.

Overall, an OK book with some good content but it's clearly "just" a rehashed set of magazine articles.
May 07, 2011 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
I read this this past summer as I was getting ready to run. It had some helpful things in it. It is made up of articles from Running World magazine (which is a great mag). It has many helpful training tips from beginner(me) to more advanced (not me). However, I found it annoying that it didn't seem to list the individual authors of sections (other than Amby Burfoot's opining at the end of the chapter). So while I found it helpful, I think it could have been edited and published
Miranda Joy
Jan 14, 2013 Miranda Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who is just starting to seriously train, this book was really helpful. A bit repetitive, but I think it's good to know what is the most important themes are from various runners' perspectives. I will hold on to this book for a long time -- great resources for a running plan, marathon training, and circuit training. I've come across a treasure worth keeping.
Vicky King
Very informative and easy to read and understand; entertaining and funny too. Burfoot adds the element of the mind/body connection in detail and how to implement it; many other running books don't go into as much detail. Lots of contributings advice from other experienced champion runners. I'm really enjoying it so far.
Jun 16, 2011 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book on sale in the late 90s, and finally got around to reading it. Not only has its hard cover and high-quality paper worn well, but so has its contents. There are 37 well-written still relevant articles grouped in eight sections, such as nutrition, injury prevention, and building strength, endurance, and speed.
Jun 14, 2015 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A brilliantly put together book something for everyone, from beginners to those who have been running for a while.
What I liked was the way this book was laid out and how easy it was to follow. Great advice given and some good stories of what has happened to others and how best to avoid the pitfalls/mistakes made by those who have gone before you.
Oct 02, 2008 Alan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really solid book that takes a lot of the best from Runner's World magazine and puts it all into one book. I've been running for years but I found it was a good way to remind myself of little things that I've had a tendency to forget over time. It's organized in such a way that you can find things when you need quick. It's a good reference book but it's also a quick read.
Some of the information is out-dated (picked this up for a buck at a local Goodwill), but the injury prevention and healing seems useful still.

Kind of put off by the comment inside that women don't feel confident in revealing clothing, as if we should all be ashamed of our bodies, but I'm hoping that the editors have changed their views on that with was published in '97, after all.
Jun 05, 2011 Camille rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Felt like I was reading regurgitated articles from RW. This might be helpful for someone just starting out. The book was rather disjointed and not well organized. The pages devoted to Oprah were unnecessary and seemed more of a pat on the back to the authors' training abilities than helpful information.
I have a friend who wants me to train with her for the 38-mile run/walk in Hillsboro, NM, next January. Right now that sounds impossible to me, but we'll see . . .
Decided running isn't for me. Just discovered my sciatic nerve.
Mary Alyce
I am starting to get into running with my boyfriend Eric, and he gave me this book to learn more. It gives lots of information on preventing injury, getting the right shoes, nutrition and more! It is very helpful to new runners like me.
Apr 06, 2012 Annelies rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ik kocht dit boek ooit, en las hem ook ooit. Toen kon het boek me niet echt boeien, maar ik hoopte dat ik na enkele jaren wat rijper was en de essentie wel zou kunnen vatten.

NIET DUS ... het blijft een saai boek over lopen.
May 13, 2013 Owen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good first book with sound general advice. It has sections for both men and women which is good. A nice book to start with for someone getting into running. Those looking for more detail will probably progress on to other books as they get more into the sport.
May 18, 2011 Hope marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm sure there is plenty of good information in here, and I was reading it...but I have a lot of other books to read, and most of the info seems like it is available online too. Maybe I will come back to it, maybe I won't.
Oct 14, 2009 Raleighhunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book I got as part of Runners World subscription. I felt it was a compulation of articles from the past. I gained some info though in reading it, especially the diet part. It also explained the benefits of combining workouts much better than the book that taught me to combine workouts.
Aug 18, 2011 Claire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great resource for the beginning runner like meeee who wants to avoid injury/death and be able to complete a marathon at some point in the fuuutuuuure! It's basically a bunch of articles from Runner's World, but well-organized and comprehensive.
It was okay - it seemed to have outdated information like vegetarians need to be super careful to combine proteins at the same meal. Also, as others pointed out, it read like a series of articles. Although, I did like the information on circuit training, injury prevention and cross training.
Dec 28, 2013 Ila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really informative running book. Most of the info can be found on their website, but I loved having it all in one place. I learned a few things and it motivated me to sign up for an additional race this year. Definitely recommend it for beginning runners.
More of a "how-to" book for beginners. I'm still a beginner and it was quite boring. I liked the section on VO2 max and Lactic Acid Threshold running, and the section on nutrition. Other than that, I was expecting more - training programs, suggested workouts, etc.
Another textbook type book, the format and layout of content is a bit more obtuse and laid out oddly. Good content and overall quality, but thought that the Beginning Running Handbook was better.
  • The Runner's Handbook: The Bestselling Classic Fitness Guide for Beginning and Intermediate Runners
  • Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running: The Best Advice to Get Started, Stay Motivated, Lose Weight, Run Injury-Free, Be Safe, and Train for Any Distance
  • Marathoning for Mortals: A Regular Person's Guide to the Joy of Running or Walking a Half-Marathon or Marathon
  • The Runner's Rule Book: Everything a Runner Needs to Know - And Then Some
  • The Complete Book of Running
  • Going Long: Legends, Oddballs, Comebacks & Adventures
  • Personal Record: A Love Affair with Running
  • Daniels' Running Formula
  • Runner's World The Runner's Diet: The Ultimate Eating Plan That Will Make Every Runner (and Walker) Leaner, Faster, & Fitter
  • Lore of Running
  • 26.2: Marathon Stories
  • The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women: Get Off Your Butt and On with Your Training
  • ChiRunning: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running
  • The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance and Repair: For Road and Mountain Bikes
Dagny Scott Barrios is a writer, editor, and public speaker specializing in running and women's sports.
More about Dagny Scott Barrios...