Start by marking “After Dark, My Sweet ” as Want to Read:
After Dark, My Sweet

After Dark, My Sweet

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  3,238 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
Los planes no siempre salen bien. Cuando William «Kid» Collins, una antigua estrella del boxeo, se escapa del centro psiquiátrico donde está recluido, nada le hace pensar que la vida allí afuera puede ser de locos. Con una conducta gravemente dañada por los golpes recibidos a lo largo de su carrera profesional, Kid bascula entre su exquisita amabilidad natural y sus repent ...more
Mass Market Paperback, Paperback Original, 128 pages
Published 1955 by Popular Library

To ask other readers questions about After Dark, My Sweet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Dark, My Sweet

Dan Schwent
Kid Collins is a former boxer fresh out of the mental institution when he runs into alcoholic Fay Anderson and Uncle Bud, a two bit con man. Fay and Bud conspire to kidnap a wealthy couple's son and pin it on Collins. Too bad Collins is much craftier than he appears and paranoid to boot...

While I didn't enjoy After Dark, My Sweet as much as some of the other Thompson books I've read, it was still pretty good. Once again, Thompson's use of the unreliable narrator set me on edge. Collin's paranoia
Darwin8u
Dec 22, 2012 Darwin8u rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
A cocktail of paranoid, neurotic, dark, and almost completely unredeemable characters + a diabetic boy + Uncle Bud = a classic Jim Thompson novel. Yup, story checks out. Whenever I think humanity is doing a pretty good job, I just dip a toe into Jim Thompson's world(s) and remember that I spend most my time in the sunshine, but after dark it is a whole different story.
________________

- Robert Farwell / Edward Jones library / Mesa, AZ 2014
Charles Dee Mitchell
Dec 13, 2013 Charles Dee Mitchell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Jim Thompson is to psychosis what Philip K. Dick is to paranoia. That is to say: The American Master of…

Bill Collins is a good-looking ex-boxer who knows he has a problem with his temper. When he breaks out of a mental institution, he has to hit a man over the head to steal his car. Hates to do it, but you know how that goes. His line of bullshit that he thinks will help him get to the coast is so weak that no one buys it. But Fay Anderson, the lush he meets in a roadhouse, sees that he has othe
Ed [Redacted]
Good, old fashioned, noir; as bleak as all get out until the bitter end. A great group of not particularly lovable losers attempt an ill fated kidnaping. Backbiting, paranoia and double crosses abound. It's everything you want and expect from Thompson in one slim volume...and yet...

This is a good book, don't get me wrong. It's just not a *great* book. It is the weakest of the Thompson novels I have read thus far, although that isn't saying much considering that the other Thompson's I have read w
Raegan Butcher
Apr 27, 2008 Raegan Butcher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite of all of Jim Thompson's books. Brain-damaged ex-boxer Kid Collins gets mixed up with shifty characters who involve him in a disastrous kidnapping plot. One of the finest first person noir novels ever written, in my opinion.
Ryan
Aug 28, 2008 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hard drinking dame, a crooked cop, and a non-too bright patsy with a tendency for poor choices. Classic hardboiled stuff; and the hardboiled crime genre is something like the American equivalent of true tragedy ... emanating from the grain, separated from Europe not only by the Atlantic but by the feedlot plains and cannibal mountains, settling in primarily on the west coast like the santa ana's and the knife edged psychosis that Dashiell Hammet knew rode their currents.

Thompson, the dimestore
Lee
Jan 07, 2013 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-boiled
Since I really like the hard boiled, noir and pulps genre, I had heard of Jim Thompson a few years back. I read "The Killer Inside Me" last year. Since I don't ever find his novels at used book stores, etc. I bought this, with a Woolrich book on ebay. From the beginning, you know wherever this is going, it's not going to be good for Collie.
At just 130 pages long, there are many moments that I felt like a rubber band, stretched to its limit, you know it's close to breaking , just waiting for it
Steven
"I was a mental case. I was an escapee from an insane asylum, a pyscho with a gun, and ex-pug who could do plenty without a gun if he took a notion." And that is the narrator of this short novel about three loonies trying to pull-off a Lindberg-baby style kidnapping. Despite the craziness, the suspicions, the - warranted - paranoia, rattling through Kid Collins head, he tries to find a path toward redemption, and that it is believable even though the narrator is unreliable is quite a tribute to ...more
Pamela
Jul 21, 2015 Pamela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have never read Thompson, this wouldn't be the book to start with. (That being said, it is much, much better than the new over-hyped thrillers such as "Girl on a Train"--But then again, the back of a cereal box is better than that atrocity.)

There's nothing wrong with this book; it just isn't one of his strongest. I would be much better to start with something like "The Killer Inside Me." Now THAT'S a strong book!
Andy
Nov 26, 2008 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hubert selby fans
Shelves: pulp-fiction
Sad stuff about punch drunk ex-boxer, ex-loony bin inmate Kid "Collie" Collins, who's played by oily roundheels Fay and her accomplice Uncle Bud in a scheme to kidnap a rich kid who has a serious diabetic condition. Although the lines are so obviously drawn between good and evil to the point of absurdity, your heart strings will get tugged by the sadness of the story.
Kurt Reichenbaugh
May 28, 2010 Kurt Reichenbaugh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir
Every Jim Thompson fan has their favorite. This one is mine. Bill (Kid) Collins has already had it bad and just wants to get along. Like he tells you in the beginning, he just wants to be where people are nice and polite. Then he has to go and get tangled up with Fay and Uncle Bud.

The power in this one is Collie's voice. Read the first chapter and you'll see what I mean.
Janice
Mar 29, 2013 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir
I might actually review this, provided that work this week doesn't completely suck the life out of me...
Jigar Brahmbhatt
Jun 22, 2016 Jigar Brahmbhatt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deft, brutal, and masterfully done. Best pulp in the market.
Halley Sutton
Jan 30, 2017 Halley Sutton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started slow for me but was a very interesting psychological study in the end. Great dialogue.
Luca Lesi
Jul 11, 2013 Luca Lesi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Il pascolo di cemento. Cioè, è così che mi sembra. Vai, continui ad andare, ed è sempre lo stesso dappertutto. Dovunque sei stato, dovunque vai, dovunque guardi . Solo grigiore e vita dura, fin dove riesci a vedere"
description
William Collins è un giovane, a tratti gentile a tratti violento , un passato tra affidi e galera . Uno psicopatico del quale però non si riesce a non provare affetto anche perché le sue caratteristiche negative sono attenuate dal mondo sordido e squallido dei personaggi che gli fann
Sep 12, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing – it's very much a product of its era, Though, with the attitudes of society towards the mentally ill very prevalent. The main character is a drifter who has been in and out of mental hospitals for many years, and who lives an aimless life. He has difficulty relating to others and can become violent at the least provocation, but he is not inherently evil or malicious. He is also very naïve, and not the most intelligent person out there, though he is much smarter than the ot ...more
Nate D
Jan 11, 2010 Nate D rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir, read-in-2010
Jim Thompson is a sort of street psychologist who uses noir as an exploration of exactly how people go about wrecking themselves and each other. His real trick here is being able to coil up a nice, twisty plotline without its feeling overly contrived. There's a sort of irresistible downward pull to his scenarios that suggest -- without their being predictable -- that the way it goes really is the only way it could go. As opposed to the too-often problems of such a story that leave the reader fee ...more
Ed
Oct 22, 2009 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published in 1955 when Thompson was hitting his stride. Small-town noir about a kidnapping that goes awry and narrated by mental patient/boxer Kid Collins. The unpolished prose makes the edgy voice work well. Worth a second read some day, a compliment to the book.
Steve
Nov 26, 2013 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story and one of few books I enjoy seeing as a movie. Jason Patrick was Kid Collins in my mind before I ever sat in the Tara theater in Atlanta to watch this adaption. I stayed to watch it again.
John Cooke
Feb 19, 2013 John Cooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just reread AFTER DARK, MY SWEET by Jim Thompson for the first time in more than 20 years ... and it holds up even better the second time around. The writing is spare but evocative and the suspense is masterful. I have always adored this novel, but today more than ever.
Drew
Aug 25, 2012 Drew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kid Collins is a dangerously beautiful creation
One Of tohmpsons finest
Reviewing this book im avoiding like one of the kids mitts Tis the story so intricate & tight & tragic ...
Yeah could be seen as unrequited love
I'll end it there jus read it
Dmtiz
Tomas Boudreau
That feeling one has walking down an empty street at night where all the shops are locked up and the only thing you can hear is a distant highway.
Lynn
Jul 08, 2014 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great story with unforgettably dark characters. I loved the struggle Collie put up against the forces of evil.....he was memorable and the ending was a twisted redemption. Excellent!
Carla Remy
I love Thompson, but the last couple I read (The Killer Inside Me, Savage Night), I liked but didn't love. This I did love. Classic noir, more like The Grifters, which is the best.
Jason Howlett
Nov 12, 2014 Jason Howlett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grim, grimy, gritty and great.
Frank
Feb 11, 2017 Frank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir
Ex-boxer, in-and-out of institutions, falls in with a hard-drinking couple planning a kidnapping. Noir ensues. Solid read, but missing a truly magnetic protagonist. La femme--Fay Anderson--is handed the best lines, chewing and spitting out the men in her path...when she's not passed out.
Frank
Feb 11, 2017 Frank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Becca Loo
first book i've read by him and i can already tell this will be a long relationship. even if i didn't like the main character that much and it was frustrating watching him ruin his life it was still a really entertaining read. the book itself was short so it was a good read during the school year. the plot kinda lags in the middle and the one sex scene there is is virtually nonexistent but the ending makes up for it with an alright twist. he reminds me of james m cain lots of double crossing and ...more
Eduard Spacil
Sep 28, 2016 Eduard Spacil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Duševně chorý hlavní hrdina na útěku z bláznince narazí na alkoholickou vdovu a podvodníka, kteří plánují únos dítěte. Tradičně přesvědčivá psychologie nesympatických postav, bezvýchodná atmosféra, všudepřítomná paranoia. Není to úplně vrcholný Thompson, ale i tenhle solidní nadstandard mi bohatě stačí ke štěstí.
Daniel
It's pretty hard not to admire the work of Jim Thompson. He made an entire career out of the absolute mastery of the unreliable narrator. In fact, it's so unreliable, that it's almost as if some of the lack of unreliability seeps off into the reader. How much can you really trust your own sense of what's going on? Which is the real character? The lost and lonely wanderer or the dark and sinister ball of rage just waiting to unleash hell on everyone around him?

Ultimately, that lack of certainty a
  • Choke Hold
  • Crime Wave: Reportage and Fiction from the Underside of L.A.
  • The Hot Spot
  • Dark Passage
  • Cockfighter
  • Rear Window - Story Collection
  • The Sour Lemon Score (Parker, #12)
  • Savage Art: A  Biography of Jim Thompson
  • The Real Cool Killers (Harlem Cycle, #2)
  • Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye
  • The Union Club Mysteries

James Myers Thompson was a United States writer of novels, short stories and screenplays, largely in the hardboiled style of crime fiction.

Thompson wrote more than thirty novels, the majority of which were original paperback publications by pulp fiction houses, from the lat
More about Jim Thompson...

“Usually, during the past fifteen-odd years, I'd hated to see the morning come. That's a psychotic symptom, you know, not wanting to awaken--hating to face things that are bound to be more than you can handle.” 4 likes