Start by marking “Robin Hood: A Classic Illustrated Edition” as Want to Read:
Robin Hood: A Classic Illustrated Edition

Robin Hood: A Classic Illustrated Edition

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  159 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
For generations, readers of all ages have delighted in the adventures of Robin Hood. The legend of the Prince of Thieves dates back as far as 1200 A.D., and versions of the story have been illustrated by some of the worlds most notable artists. The latest entry in Chronicles Classic Illustrated Edition series, this lavishly illustrated book features over 100 of the best im ...more
Published July 1st 2002 by Chronicle Books (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Robin Hood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robin Hood

Marklessgirl
Oct 07, 2015 Marklessgirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so hard to rate, why you may be asking is it? Fine, I will tell you this book is awesome! And a really fast read with a lot of emotion and I loved it seeing as this is the most original/unabridged version of this story that I can fined it was very well written and as it is old English, I did have to re-read/go over some of the lines to know what was going on but still was a tiny bit confusing in one or two parts and that is all of the things I have problems with and I do think this ...more
Emily
Old English was hard to follow. I needed a character list to keep track of the different names certain people were sometimes referred to as. And there had to be more than one person with the same first name?!? But the action was wonderful and exciting!
Bradley
Oct 13, 2008 Bradley rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome version of Robin Hood! The illos are great, including some of the classics by Pyle, some glitzy old hollywood images and some old medieval manuscript type images. The text is from the turn of the century, and so has this really classic, heroic flavor to it that you just don't get with modern writing--but it is short enough and quick-moving enough that you don't get really mired down in the difficult language. I actually missed my train stop while engrossed in this one! Recomme ...more
Lisa
Dec 17, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous illustrations and beautifully written stories. We will read this again and again.
Cole
Feb 02, 2009 Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The adventure of Robin Hood was 3 of 5 stars.The only part I didn't like about the book was the older words that are a little difficult to understand.Anyway the story was ok by the means of the excitment like when Robin Hood and his merry men were in battle.The band of Robin Hoods clan trying to live off the land was breath taking.In the end in the depths of sherwood forest robbing and scaring people off the land and Robin Hood still young.
Kay
Oct 12, 2009 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, robin-hood
I was thrilled to discover this version in a second hand shop as it was this book the Robin of Sherwood series took names from and a few of the ideas as well. Its an elegant telling, though the language is more dated and fun to read and spot which parts the TV series took and adapted.
Sarah Messick-Milone
Joshua loved it, despite the archaic language. I just liked it.

"What did you like about it, Josh?"

"The archery."
Ralph McEwen
Sep 23, 2011 Ralph McEwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This version of the Robin Hood tale came across very well in the audio book format. The reader Dan Elsea portrayed the characters vividly and I could visualize the scenes with ease. I also enjoyed the fact that the tale is complete to the end of Robin’s life.
Dave
Apr 13, 2011 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No wonder the legend of Robin Hood has lived for so long. This is a good story. The reader has to wade through some more difficult and old-fashioned words, however, it wasn't too bad. It might even be good for us to learn a little more about our native tongue.
Echo
Jun 10, 2012 Echo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, books-in-12
I loved this book. I've always loved the stories about Robin Hood (the Disney cartoon was one of my favorite movies as a little girl, and also the source of my first crush), and this reminded me of why. The stories were fascinating. The art was also beautiful.
Vanessa
Probably my favorite of the Robin Hood novels. Charles Vivian did a fantastic job of combining many of the legends and compiling them in a way that actually felt more like a story of his life then short chapter vignettes, while keeping true to those legends.
Yvensong
Although this lacks the lyrical quality of many other tales of Robin Hood, this compilation of the many stories of the outlaw and his followers is well worth reading by any who may be interested in his story.
Holly
Jan 04, 2014 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By E. Charles Vivian
Robert
Interesting book. It was nice to read this and get a different perspective on Robin Hood. I would like to go and read some other versions now to see the differences.
Tamaki
May 23, 2008 Tamaki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great because I was curious about what would happen nect when Robin Hood shot his arrow to the apple on his son's head!
Valerie
Jun 07, 2008 Valerie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is weird because in every chapter someone joins his band
Books And