Start by marking “Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest” as Want to Read:
Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest

Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest

In a time when laws were unfair and the poor were left to starve, Robin Hood was a friend to those in need. Ann McGovern?s retelling of this classic tale transports young readers to an era of adventure and heroism....
Mass Market Paperback, 128 pages
Published September 1st 2001 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published April 1st 1968)

The Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienPrince Caspian by C.S. LewisTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeWalden by Henry David Thoreau
Trees
6th out of 88 books — 35 voters
Scarlet by A.C. GaughenThe Outlaws of Sherwood by Robin McKinleyHood by Stephen R. LawheadIvanhoe by Walter ScottThe Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle
Fictional Robin Hood
39th out of 94 books — 262 voters

More lists with this book...

Gale
Aug 26, 2013 Gale rated it liked it
“Nobility Beneath Lincoln Green”

Tricked by unscrupulous archers in the forest young Robin suddenly finds himself branded an outlaw—fearing for his life and losing all contact with his sweetheart, Maid Marian. The author treats readers to chapters about Robin’s encounters with: strapping little John at the brook, the evil Sheriff of Nottingham at the Butcher’s Fair, and feisty Friar Tuck across the stream--as well as the woebegone minstrel, Allan-a-Dale.

McGovern’s style is straight-forward and
Maria
Nov 18, 2008 Maria rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: to every one
Recommended to Maria by: my brother
it talks about a man called Robin Hood,how he was highly loved by the beggars and the government was against him so he had to fight against the goverment.
Donna
Jan 30, 2014 Donna rated it really liked it
Have been reading this to the kids over the past few weeks as a supplement to their history curriculums. Lots of fun! The kids got a kick out of all he flowery language (ye's, thou's, etc.). The stories are entertaining even though the morals are questionable.
Asher Boyer
May 02, 2014 Asher Boyer rated it really liked it
It was a very good book with plenty of laughs and excitement. The ending was slightly sad when Robin left Sherwood, but none the less it was a good book.
Bob Dylan
This book is about the adventures of Robin Hood, a Lincoln Green wearing outlaw with a group of outlaws that will appear to him on a moments notice. Robin Hood is stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. Along the way he has to avoid the tricks of the sheriff and he meets new friends to join his band of outlaws along the way.
I liked the old time setting of the book. In every chapter there is a completely different adventure. Over all I would say it was a decent book. It would be worth ch
Lily
Dec 14, 2014 Lily rated it really liked it
Dost thou love Robin Hood? THEN READ THIS! This nice little book is so lighthearted and fun you're bound to have a good time reading it. I myself got a real kick out of writing style, which is written in Old English! The writing is one of my favorite things about this book, along with the best chapter ever where Robin Hood crashed a wedding.

This is a great story for all ages, and is not just for children. (It doesn't take long to get through it either.) The old writing style might be hard for so
Caleb
Feb 09, 2014 Caleb rated it liked it
I liked Robin Hood. It was how he robbed the rich and gave it to the poor.
Amanda Kroeschel
It was "OK" for me, as far as school read-alouds go. I can't help but imagine McGovern's Robin Hood running around grinning like a fool 24/7. The 5yo was excited about the story at times, but not nearly so much as the 7yo! She immediately asked if there were other Robin Hood stories; add that to the library list! Comedy, adventure, romance, a happy ending...what more could a girl ask for?
Lanie
Sep 02, 2014 Lanie rated it really liked it
adorable. this shows all the classic tales of robin hood without being to wordy or it dragging on to long so that the kid looses interest. this was one of my first introdutions to fictional robin hood novels that i had. after this one, and seeing all of bbc robin hood, my collection pretty much exploded. :D its cute and quick and perfect for kids.
Tigger
Jun 23, 2012 Tigger rated it really liked it
A book for little children - cute language and a wonderful tone, introducing them to the "Merry Men" of Sherwood forest. Love the way that Robin is supposed to be handsome, good at his archery and cocky as ever. ;)
The side characters of Will, Little John and Allan a Dale are all much loved as well. :D
Children's Literature Project
Oct 29, 2013 Children's Literature Project rated it really liked it
Shelves: traditional
Guided Reading Level S.

This books is the classic tale of Robin Hood stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. Robin Hood and his band of yeomen go on several adventures and meet interesting people. They outsmart the sheriff and gain favor with royals.

This book is great for grades 4-5.
Ryan
Mar 09, 2016 Ryan rated it it was amazing
I read this book to the kids before bed. I didn't know what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised by how well this book is written. The dialog and descriptions are excellent. And the story is just fun to read. Definitely recommend it as a read-aloud for 8-12 year-old kids.
Mareena
Jan 16, 2016 Mareena rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children
Recommended to Mareena by: Bookmooch
I know that this is a children's book but I truly enjoy all tellings of the Robin Hood story. This book was full of adventure and even though it was written in 1968, it still held my attention and was riveting. I give this book an A!
Briana
I had a lot of fun reading this when I was younger...one of those books that I would read over and over again...Gotta love old English.
Anthony Maldonado
Apr 17, 2009 Anthony Maldonado rated it it was amazing
lowsy review
A guy in tights named Robin hood shoots a horse and he's afraid the king might find out so he hides in a forest
Maryse
An easy-to-read version for kids. I still prefer Howard Pyle's version, though. There seemed to be more drama in it.
Hannah
Aug 10, 2011 Hannah rated it liked it
Took about half an hour to read. Fairly true to other retellings. Kept the merriment. Weak morals.
Ivy
Apr 02, 2008 Ivy is currently reading it
This is a book from school that we r reading.. so i thought id add it..
Megan Davis
Apr 19, 2010 Megan Davis rated it liked it
All right as kids' Robin Hood retellings go. Not fantastic.
Laura Verret
Oct 17, 2011 Laura Verret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must admit, I really enjoy the Robin Hood tales.
Charles
Dec 28, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
About all I can say is "yes," this is a good adventure.
Jesse
Oct 18, 2010 Jesse added it
Shelves: 1st-quarter
It was a very good book based on a historical events.
Wildbird
Aug 01, 2012 Wildbird rated it really liked it
Love Robin Hood and Little John :)
Collin
Collin rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Jones Education
Jones Education rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Aditya Tomar
Aditya Tomar marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Melissa
Melissa is currently reading it
Sep 18, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
  • Wild Boy (Rowan Hood, #4)
  • Robin and the King (Sherwood, #2)
  • Usborne Time Traveler
  • Sherwood: Original Stories from the World of Robin Hood
  • The Forestwife (Forestwife Saga, #1)
  • Sam the Minuteman
  • There Will Be Wolves
  • Day of the Iguana
  • Robin Hood
  • Where Was Patrick Henry on the 29th of May?
  • Red Hugh: Prince of Donegal
  • Hill of Fire
  • The Sword in the Tree
  • Greg's Microscope
  • Sight Words - Kindergarten (Bob Books)
  • The Drinking Gourd: A Story of the Underground Railroad