Start by marking “The Right Path (Dark Future Series)” as Want to Read:
The Right Path (Dark Future Series)

The Right Path (Dark Future #2)

3.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
YA post-apocalyptic tale

Fifteen-year-old Abraham "Ham" Jones, a cripple, and Zia Slate, a fourteen-year-old tomboy with an attitude, find themselves unlikely partners in this post-apocalyptic tale of survival. It is decades later since the world blew itself apart. Life is harsh, gangs rule the streets, the system cops keep the peace anyway they can. Being a kid in this wor
Published April 4th 2010

To ask other readers questions about The Right Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Right Path

Katy
Jul 16, 2011 Katy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of dark fantasy & Dark Future series
Recommended to Katy by: Debra Martin
Shelves: ebook, i-edited
“The Right Path” is a novella in the Dark Future series. It begins with an old man helping a young man (Abe or Ham) to his feet; Abe had been beaten by a gang, who had stolen the food he had managed to scrounge for himself that day. The old man (whose name we never learn) then gives Abe, who is crippled, a very nice cane, asking nothing in return, and walks away. As Abe watches, bemused, a young girl is thrown from a car. The old man helps her to her feet and gives her a knife, then walks away, ...more
Angela
Good novella I found on www.amazon.co.uk for free.
Rather clichéd scenario and world-building when it comes to describing post-apocalyptic surroundings but other than that a fun story with well-rounded characters.
Reading this I was reminded of 'Warehouse 13' and the artefacts they have to find in the show. Memory weapons are such a good and cool idea!

I look forward to more of this world to be released, hopefully as a full length novel.
Katy
Jul 25, 2011 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Dark Future series; dark fantasy
Recommended to Katy by: Debra Martin
Shelves: ebook, i-edited
Lauren Wiseman
The Right Path was a quick read. Granted, it was dark, gruesome, and violent--it was good for the length it was. Ham and Zia were interesting characters and they seemed to be well formed and I've just read The Right Path--so I don't know how they are in the other book: Zia's Path.
Couple of Caveats: Zia, especially, has a filthy mouth--along with the other characters. The violence is extreme and there's talk of prostitution. Definitely a mature YA book, if even higher.
Michelle Snyder
Sep 03, 2011 Michelle Snyder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantasy Entanglement
A difficult world produces strong characters - and that is the case with The Right Path. Martin introduces three: two fighting to survive, one elusive and magical. Oh, and there are characters you love to hate. An entertaining read, a world you can get to know and look forward to meeting other characters in. The Right Path is a short, effective foundation for other books, one I recommend reading. It will enrich your experience in later adventures.

Alice Yeh
Dec 07, 2010 Alice Yeh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the stereotypically war-torn land is a man with a shopping cart full of odd items. For reasons known only to himself, he chooses to give a cripple a cane and a possible prostitute a blade. As one of the local gangs descend upon these two teens, they discover that the fancy but otherwise useless gifts are actually anything but - they are "memory weapons," ones that allow Abe and Zia to defend themselves and one another against the bullies in question.

The advice from the old man with the cart,
Andrea
Sep 05, 2011 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've decided to post these reviews for The Right Path and Zia's Path together because, to be honest, I don't have a lot to say about The Right Path and Zia's Path. They weren't bad. I just really don't have much of an opinion at all.

When I started reading The Right Path, I was confused. I felt as if I had started reading the books out of order. The story literally starts in the middle of action. I had no clue as to what was going on. There was no backstory to give me a sense of the characters.
Sarah Crawford
Feb 27, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
A 15-year-old boy in the ruins of a city has been beaten and robbed, then gets aided by an old man. The old man also helps a young girl. The boy can't figure out why the man is doing that, but the old man just wants to help people.

There are gangs of bullies all around the town. The boy and the girl team up to escape the first group. Both were given memory weapons, weapons which allowed the user to use them in an expert fashion. Her name is Zia Slate. His is Abraham Jones.

The danger with the wea
Rebecca Forster
Oct 04, 2010 Rebecca Forster rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Good News…

The good news about Martin and Small’s Right Path: Dark Future series is that it is so well written. My first and foremost criteria for an enjoyable read is that the characters have a voice. In this work, both “Ham” a young cripple and Zia, a scrappy girl who has suffered abuse, are on their own in a terrifying new dystopic world where food is scarce and civility non-existent. Then they meet up with an old man who changes everything for them – and maybe the world as they know it. T
Annie
Jun 29, 2011 Annie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a very interesting premise. The writing was pretty good, and I found myself being pulled into the storyline and characters despite its short length. There really was not much going on in this story, but it does provide readers with a good launchpad from which to get involved in future novels with these characters.
Cathy
Jul 07, 2011 Cathy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
Free Kindle download. Described by the authors as an "apocalyptic novelette."
In the aftermath of a devastating war how can humanity get back on the right path of caring for others? I wasn't very impressed. Supposedly, there will be more stories to follow featuring the main characters, Ham and Zia.
Erin
Sep 26, 2012 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-free
This book was was very middle of the road for me. I really can't pick out anything I disliked about it, but I also wouldn't say I necessarily enjoyed it. When I downloaded it it was free (it isn't anymore) so I'm glad I didn't pay for it. I do not plan on reading the next book.
JoAnn Jordan
Jun 26, 2011 JoAnn Jordan rated it it was amazing
This is a very good novella. The story is post-apocalyptic and traces the lives of two teenage survivors who meet a helpful old man.

I enjoyed the story and recommend it to anyone who likes a light story.
Bethica
Oct 07, 2011 Bethica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
Young adult short story. A magic man gives a young girl and boy gifts that make them whole and healthy again. It really wasn't great but it was a pretty quick read.
Mary Whited
Mary Whited marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Megen
Megen rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Schizanthus
Schizanthus rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
PJ
PJ marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Alicia Larson
Alicia Larson marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Tara Shaw
Tara Shaw marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Debra Martin
Jan 23, 2016 Debra Martin added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Patricia Guy
Patricia Guy marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Kajola
Kajola marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Paula
Paula added it
Jan 28, 2016
Bradley Pennell
Bradley Pennell marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Amgangi
Amgangi marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Debra has been writing fantasy/science fiction with her co-author, David W Small, since 2006.

WITCH'S CURSE, (Book 2, The Witch Stone Prophecy), the exciting and long-awaited sequel to ASSASSIN'S CURSE is now available. The third and final book WITCH STONE ASSASSIN is forthcoming.

THE SILVER CROSS (Book 1 in Vampire Nightlife series). The sequel, SILVER DOUBLE CROSS is under development.

They have pu
More about Debra L. Martin...

Dark Future (3 books)
  • Path to Destruction (Dark Future, #1)
  • Zia's Path (Dark Future, #3)