Jumble Tales

Jumble Tales

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Psychological sharpshooters, fickle football fans and prodigious people who choose to use and misuse their incredible talents invite you into this collection of their jumbled-up worlds. During dark days at work when people reflect both on what could have been and on what could still be, things are never quite what they seem, and never turn out as expected. Crafted to be sh...more
Published October 28th 2010 by Pneuma Springs Publishing

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingFallen by Lauren KateShiver by Maggie StiefvaterMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsWicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
Books With The Blues
229th out of 2,200 books — 760 voters
Torment by Lauren KateLinger by Maggie StiefvaterIncarceron by Catherine FisherMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsCrescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick
Best Book Covers of 2010
68th out of 173 books — 268 voters

More lists with this book...

Sam
Won this through the Goodreads Giveaways.

An ecclectic collection of tales that show how fickle Fate and Luck can be, this collection is cram packed with what ifs and if onlys and with each tale being the perfect length for a quick read at the bus stop, waiting in line or if you have a spare five minutes this is a superb book to have in your bag, just in case.

Each tale has its own character based on dark humour, gritty real life and even a touch of romance and they even manage not to feel like s...more
Nicolle
This book suprised me, it was better than 'In all Probability' which was great and made this fantastic!

My favourite story was 'Ships that pass' which was a twisted romance and more akin to real life. The romance that developed, the guy being oblivious, and the car breaking down on their 'first date'. It is full of ironic and believable twists and turns which makes the story light hearted and fun. The ending surprised me, I did not link Leisa to the attack and I never would've thought a man woul...more
Ami Blackwelder
Made up of eighteen short stories, Jumble Tales is another anthology by Steve Morris. With about twelve stories less than In All Probability, this collection is not any less in quality. In fact, the page number size is about the same. The stories ring with dark humor, are gritty, and even warming at times.

Each story is unique with fresh characters and often a twist or turn as well as good use of language.

With Steve Morris, an author from the UK, the English is British in places, but the Good-O...more
Robert
If he were still alive, Rod Sterling should be introducing the stories in Jumble Tales. I’ve been told never to compare one book, or story, to another. But in this case, I think it’s ok. The short stories in this book were all very well written, and I will honestly say that I enjoyed them much more than Mr. Morris’ first book “In All Probability.” And I will have to gladly compare them to “Twilight Zone” stories.

Each short story builds to a surprise ending. A few I thought I knew how they woul...more
Kitty Bullard
Book Title: "In All Probability" & "Jumble Tales"
Author: Steve Morris
Published By: Pneuma Springs Publishing
Age Recommended: 18 +
Reviewed By: Kitty Bullard
Raven Rating: 5

Review: These are two wonderfully delightful books by a man that has clearly had his own ups and downs in life. Steve Morris weaves tales of good fortune and hardship with a master storyteller's pen. I am use to anthologies that range from romance to horror and almost any other genre you can think of, but this is the first t...more
Mandy
Mr Steve Morris has done it again! Jumble Tales is another wonderful collection of short stories. The ‘real’ people are back with their ‘real’ lives and their ‘real’ endings. A jumble of tales put together to once again show us life doesn’t always smell of roses, some days it can smell a little on the nose.

Following on from Steve’s previous collection In All Probability, Jumble Tales brings to life real characters from the past, present and future. Some stories are wacky, some intriguing and som...more
Billy Bob
This book was recently entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. Our readers thought the following:

Editing 10/10
The readers felt that your book was well-polished and well-written. No grammatical or spelling errors were discovered.

Theme 9/10
All 18 of the readers loved the theme of the book and the way the author mixed so many interests e.g. sport, work and music. Also, they felt he very cleverly placed a twist at the end of them bringing a smile to the reader’s face.
All of the readers seemed to...more
shinfu
Nov 11, 2010 shinfu marked it as to-read
This looks like it will be a great book to read.
Landy
Nov 12, 2010 Landy marked it as to-read
I would like to read/review this book.
Helen Smith
Jumble Tales is a collection of thought-provoking short stories. They offer snapshots of the lives of characters who have the everyman's interest in music or sport or work, yet who are unusual in some way. Often the main character has to deal with some piece of good or bad fortune that reverses during the course of the story.

There is the man who scores the winning goal in a football match, the members of a pub band who get lucky when it ought to be too late, an overprotective father, a corporat...more
I.C. Camilleri
Having read Playing Havoc last week and really enjoyed the fresh style of writing, I decided to go for Jumble Tales even though I usually tend to shy away from short stories. But, wow, I was not disappointed. I can only describe each of the eighteen short stories as one of those exquisitely small and fine Belgian chocolates with a burst of quality in the centre. The stories are short but are very deep and thought-provoking, and the black humour interspersed inside makes it a very enjoyable read....more
Justin
Jumble Tales is the second book of short stories by Steve Morris. After reading the first book, In All Probability, I knew that he was onto something special. I looked forward to the second book and Jumble Tales did not disappoint! It has everything from an autistic mathematical genius who could save the world, to a crazy child kidnapper who lives in a world where females have become scarce, to old favorites like dead eye. So I invite all readers to jump into Jumble Tales and enjoy what lady luc...more
Les
They're short, thought-provoking and entertaining. As with all short story collections some stories stand out more than others but all were enjoyable in their own right. "Out of Range", "Time to Think" and "Like a Bad Penny" were among my favourites, but I'm sure everyone will have their own top three picks. And with 18 slightly bizzare, well-crafted stories to chose from ther is bound to be something for everyone.
Zuzana
I won this book in a FirstReads giveaway. It's been a couple of years since I last read a collection of short stories, so this was refreshing. The editing could have used another run-through (I'm a typo radar so I couldn't help but notice some), but otherwise it was an enjoyable read. Some of the stories end predictably, but others have a nice twist toward the end. Fun.
Paddy O'callaghan

Just Like a Jumble Sale, You never know what you're going to find next. A diverse "Jumble" of short stories, each of which provides excellent fuel for a quick, stimulating read. Highly recommended.
Mechele
Jumble Tales is a refreshing collection of short stories. A very easy and enjoyable read. Read more of our reviews at http://readforyourfuture,blogspot.com.
Bryony Allen
Review to follow soon.
Esme_weatherwax
Jumble Tales is a collection of short stories that I found enjoyable. Of course there are stories in the collection that I liked better than others. The thing that I really enjoyed about the book is that you can pick it up when you don't have much time to read and get swept away in the the short story for a short time. The book is ideal for busy people that want to have brief escapes from reality. It got this book free as part of goodread's first reads giveaways.
Stephanie
I was actually rather excited to read this book, it seemed very interesting from the blurb. I'm sorry to say, I was very disappointed! It just wasn't my cup of tea, apparently...

To read the rest of my review, please see my blog http://stephsgrn.blogspot.com/2012/05...
Max Mad
Smoother, less "raw" than "In All Probability". No less bizarre subject matter, and I do wish it was longer. Some dark themes, plenty of black humour, Morris mixes contemporary news themes with sci-fi and even romance to twist a mix of endings to suit different moods.
Patricia Soulier
A collection of short stories. Some were great, others were very confusing and didn't make much sense.
Amanda
I won this book on First-Reads and am waiting to receive it.
Steve Morris
May 14, 2011 Steve Morris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Now released on Kindle.
Samantha Singh
Samantha Singh marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
John Toothaker
John Toothaker marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Faith
Faith marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
  • Strange Men in Pinstripe Suits & Other Curious Things
  • Dante's Journey
  • From Vegas with Blood
  • Dismember
  • Dearly Departed (Secret Sisters Mystery #2)
  • On the Big White Oak
  • Cassie Draws the Universe
  • Temptation (The Soul Collection, #1)
  • Sealed with a Kill (A Decoupage Mystery, #3)
  • The Character
  • The Book
  • The Haunted Grove
  • Experience
  • Danny 1.0 - Hope House (DANNY Quadrilogy, #1)
  • Songbird
  • The Sorrow King
  • All That is Beautiful (Arrington, #2)
  • My So-Called Phantom Lovelife (Afterlife, #3)
Steve Morris

With a background in math and science, Steve Morris travels around his region of the UK teaching students who are too ill to get to school.
Despite his chosen vocation, one of Steve's passions in life is his love of English literature and of antiquarian books.

Maverick, individual and never afraid to speak his mind, Steve was taught to read fluently by his parents whe...more
More about Steve Morris...
In All Probability Playing Havoc Out On Top - A Collection of Upbeat Short Stories Jumble Tales Terminating Vegas