Start by marking “Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)” as Want to Read:
Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)

Last Argument of Kings (The First Law #3)

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  70,648 Ratings  ·  2,754 Reviews
The end is coming.

Logen Ninefingers might only have one more fight in him but its going to be a big one. Battle rages across the North, the King of the Northmen still stands firm, and there's only one man who can stop him. His oldest friend, and his oldest enemy. Its past time for the Bloody-Nine to come home.

With too many masters and too little time, Superior Glokta is fi
Published June 18th 2009 by Orion (first published March 20th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Last Argument of Kings, please sign up.

Jonathan Harwood You will definitely regret spending time on this trilogy. You'll spend 3 books getting invested in an awesome story with awesome characters only to be…moreYou will definitely regret spending time on this trilogy. You'll spend 3 books getting invested in an awesome story with awesome characters only to be greatly disappointed in how it all turns out in the end. (less)

Michael
Because, even after the first two volumes, every character will STILL surprise you. Because Glokta is the best fantasy character I've found since Tyrion Lannister. Because Logen is a mushroom-cloud-laying motherfucker. Because you should've seen it coming but you didn't. You really didn't.

Because even "gritty" fantasy writers are usually afraid to go this far against expectations. Because you will laugh. You will get angry. Because you will hate the ending. Because the ending is perfect. Becaus
mark monday
Jun 04, 2012 mark monday rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastickal
and so the excellent First Law trilogy concludes. this was a splendid experience and certainly a hearty one as well. many things to consider and many enjoyments to be had. a full meal! and quite a bitter feast at that.

and here is the Last Argument of the title, succinctly delivered by the ferocious sorceror Bayaz:
"Power makes all things right. That is my first law, and my last. That is the only law that I acknowledge."
SPOILERS FOLLOW

this is a really marvelous series. bold in intent, clear in p
Petrik
Oct 15, 2016 Petrik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Say one thing for Last Argument of Kings, say it's dark fantasy at its best" Logen's father said. After finishing the book and the trilogy, I decided to give this book a rating of 5 stars. Why? well, as Logen Ninefingers always said "you have to be realistic about these things."

Last Argument of Kings is the conclusion to the First Law Trilogy and it completely delivered on all aspect of great quality dark fantasy. It provides a fitting ending to the trilogy, it's dark, funny, bloody, oh yes it'
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 Kat Hooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Say one thing for this reviewer, say she's a weak-minded sucker.

She really enjoyed the first two books of Joe Abercrombie's The First Law trilogy. This story was original, had a unique style, fascinating characters, and a darkly cynical style. She liked it. It was fresh. But she was kind of hoping, even daring to expect, that the last book, Last Argument of Kings, might have an ending that was, if not perhaps exactly happy, at least somewhat satisfying.

Unf
Dan Schwent
Mar 04, 2013 Dan Schwent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2013
Dirk Grobbelaar

The last book in Abercrombie’s dark fantasy trilogy. Done. Dusted.

It’s going to be a while before I’ve properly assimilated everything that happened over the course of the series. It’s quite something, and it’s well worth your time if you enjoy genre fiction.

Last Argument of Kings – thoughts

Strange and painful events seemed to follow in his wake like stray dogs barking behind the butcher’s wagon.

Like I mentioned in one of my earlier reviews, it isn’t clear whether this wants to be (dark) heroic
Bookdragon Sean
The end of this series is a cleverly crude mirroring of it’s opening, and it’s just so damn hilarious. I’m saying no more regarding that, but Abercrombie never fails to make me laugh. Logan Nine-fingers is such a great character; he really is one of the strongest aspects of this series.

His wise courage allowed him to defeat the impossible. Only he would have survived such an ordeal. Abercrombie sure knows how to write an excellent battle sequence, but the one on one combat at the end of the boo
Alex
Okay, so here's the thing with this book and why I gave it no stars:

1) It's the third and final volume in a trilogy that up to this book was pretty much as good as fantasy gets: good characterizations, egaging plot, nice overall writing style, etc etc etc.

1a) I specifically liked the first two because they were surprisingly nasty, not dark mind you (no brooding emo heroes of the night), nasty.

1b) "Nasty" isn't meant sexually either, incidentally, in case you were flashing to Janet Jackson right
Robin (Bridge Four)
“Mercy and weakness are the same thing in war, and there's no prize for nice behavior.”

When your two favorite characters in a book are a master torturer and a warrior who occasionally is filled with so much bloodlust that he forgets who he is and is as likely to kill a friend as much as a foe you really shouldn’t be surprised to have mixed feelings at the end of the series.

But I was surprised. Maybe I’m too used to the series I’m reading ending by tying everything up neatly in a bow and giving
Ethan
Jul 26, 2010 Ethan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing. This book probably deserves better than two stars, but I just can't bring myself to call it good, because I didn't really enjoy it even though I read it fairly quickly. Don't get me wrong: it's interesting enough, and the characters are still vaguely engaging, and there's plenty of action. By all means, the formula is there (even though it does feel a little bit tired).

So what's the problem? I guess I was just hoping Abercrombie would be able to salvage some of his characters and
Conor

Last argument of kings is an appropriately epic, dark and brilliant ending to a trilogy filled with great characters and a beautifully crafted, intricate plot. It provides a definite(if somewhat disappointing) ending to the trilogy that still leaves space for the characters and story to be further explored in the following standalone novels.

SPOILERS

Jezal's character development was easily the best written in this series and among the best I've seen in any fantasy. From his introduction
Mpauli
"Book 3, the final one! We're almost there!"
"Yes, Sir, Mr.Abercrombie."
"So, let's see. We casted characters already and invented plots. What needs to be done now."
"Perhaps an ending?"
"Really? Aren't you enjoying my fabulous characters?"
"Of course, but you know, a good story needs an ending."
"Did Robert Jordan knew that? Does Martin think so?"
"Well, I'm not sure..."
"And they sold way more books than I did."
"Hm, this is true. But weren't you going somewhere with the story?"
"You're right, but maybe
Evgeny
May 03, 2014 Evgeny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the conclusion of a grimdark fantasy trilogy. At this point practically everything I can say about the plot will be full of spoilers, so the most generic description will have to do. A war is raging in the north between Union and united barbarians. Another war is about to start in the south: people led by powerful and practically indestructible flesh-eaters quietly prepare to conquer Union - unless the northern barbarians do it first. Everything seems to be lost, but some powerful people ...more
Richard
Apr 07, 2015 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
8.5/10

Reading other peoples reviews of this book makes me feel like a sourpuss only going for the 4 star rating. I fully enjoyed reading people’s reviews and bringing back the memories of those who I have since said my farewells to and glad to see that so many people differ on certain things such as favourite characters, whether they enjoyed the ending overall and if this is one of the better fantasy series to come onto the scene in recent years.

As a trilogy I can’t fault this series, the writi
Jokoloyo
Aug 03, 2013 Jokoloyo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Secrets revealed! Plots twisting here and there! Maybe you could outguessed some of plots? The good news is even if you did outguessed a plot, it didn't make the story less fun. Some of the plot twists were actually simple, but the author's execution skill is marvelous. Oh yeah, your memory that still held the details of book one would be rewarded handsomely on this book.

Tilly
Mar 16, 2017 Tilly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed-series
Although "Before They Are Hanged" is still my favorite book in the trilogy, I finally decided to rate this book full 5 stars too. At first I was thinking about a 4.5 but now I realized, that the only issues I had are just fully representing what the whole series is about: That not everything happens in the way we want it to happen. It is about flawed characters which are able to do very questionable things in some of the most horrible situations we can imagine. When it comes to the complexity of ...more
Carol.
Aug 14, 2011 Carol. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, male-lead
Wow. Just finished, and that was a book that was just... wow. Made expectations, fulfilled them, broke them apart into little pieces and reassembled into a huge jagged collage of a work. Amazing. Glokta continues to be the character you would love to hate, except that he is the very essence of tortured humanity. Jezal grows beyond a self-involved ego into a man willing to stand for his beliefs--except that he remains manipulated and somewhat ignorant of the extent to which he is played. Logen un ...more
Hanne
Aug 27, 2012 Hanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hanne by: Fantasy Book Club Series
Shelves: fantasy

While reading the final hundred pages of this book, there is one quote that came to mind: “All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.” It’s from my favourite tv-series Battlestar Galactica but it could be a tagline on these series as well.

I have to admit after book 1 and 2 I thought that these trilogy was really good, but I didn’t fully understand the utter brilliance it supposedly had. Now after book 3, I get it. This last book is the culmination of so many things and shows
The Shayne-Train
Mar 18, 2015 The Shayne-Train rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Say one thing for Joe Abercrombie, say he writes like a motherfucker.

I've been recommending this series to all of my fantasy-reading friends, most especially those all into the George R.R. Martin type of gritty-ass fantasy.

See, I did it myself. I hate it when Abercrombie gets compared to GRRM. But how do you avoid it? So I word it thus: in the world of dark, realistic fantasy, Martin is Hitchcock and Abercrombie is Peckinpah. That's the only way I can make that comparison and sleep at night. Plu
Arthur
Mar 11, 2009 Arthur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: liked, fantasy
Just finished The Last Argument of Kings...

Mixed feelings.
Definitely it is not worth re-reading, otherwise it would be like Logen, pissing into the wind. Real life is depressing enough, why make it worse?
I didn't expect a happy ending, but everything, absolutely everything to be bad? While you have to be realistic is a good motto, the ending is not realistic because life is shit and people do not change is overplayed.

The Blade Itself starts with a chapter 1 - End, and The Last Argument of Kings
Mikko Karvonen
"Delightfully twisted, and evil." The excerpt from The Guardian tells everything you need to know about Joe Abercrombie. He writes twisted fantasy where the characters are as wicked and dark as the plot twists and morale is not a relevant consideration for any decision. And he writes it well. In short time he has become one of the leading names of the genre, mainly thanks to the First Law trilogy that concludes in the Last Argument of the Kings.

And after finally completing the trilogy, I can't h
David Sven
A thoroughly enjoyable finish to a fantastic series. There was a lot that needed to happen in this book to close out the various story arcs and a lot did indeed happen. There are more twists in the plot than a circus contortionist and many of our favourite characters are going to end up in unexpected places and positions.

Bayaz returns with his party from their failed quest to find “The Seed” at the edge of the world. Logen Ninefingers AKA “The Bloody Nine” decides to leave the Union and return t
Orient
Jan 28, 2016 Orient rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: who loves good fights and good homour
Recommended to Orient by: Milda Page Runner
It is the last book in The First Law trilogy (happy 'cause it ended quite good and sad 'cause it ENDED)and I can say for sure that it is the most striking in the trilogy and one of the most gripping stories I've read so far. My praises to the author
description
This books encircled me with action, magic, mysteries and did it wildly. And without a doubt it's the characters that rule this trilogy. The Bloody Northmen and the Union, with Bayaz pulling the strings have the key roles. The author is able to involv
Saša
Jun 17, 2016 Saša rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Logenu Devetoprstom je možda ostalo snage za još samo jednu bitku, ali ona će biti silna. Rat besni čitavim Severom, kralj Severnjaka i dalje odoleva, a samo ga jedan čovek može zaustaviti.
Dobar deo uvoda je potrosen na ovu bitku, veliku i krvavu, i kad je bila da kazemo gotova, doslo je do
malog zasicenja. Jer, bitka je bila zaista uhh, a covek treba malo da odmori, jel?
Medjutim, nije to dugo trajalo, i rat se preselio u samo srce Saveza. Haos je nastupio, bitka jos veca, za kraljevstvo, za lj
Phrynne
Nov 14, 2015 Phrynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the trilogy and it was as superb as the previous two. I have been listening to these books on audio for quite some time now and I am going to suffer serious withdrawal symptoms now they are all over. They contain some of the best characters I have ever come across in a book and although I probably would not want any of them as friends ( most of them are evil!) I will still miss them very much. I loved the way the trilogy ended with a scene parallel to the way it started! And I ...more
Steve
Wow, just... Wow.

The story doesn't end, but loose ends are tied, maybe not so neatly, but they are wrapped up. Sort of.
At this point in the trilogy, there's really nothing new about the characters, except for the lengths to which they will go to attain and obtain their own ends. The king showed himself to be royal in his character, while others are sneaky, manipulative scoundrels.
I was surprised at when the battle ended, with over four hours left in the (Audible) book. But the palace intrigue
Kelly's ( Next Best Read )

Friends are people one pretends to like in order to make life bearable. Men like us have no need of such indulgences. It is or enemies by which we are measured

Ok..I...Ummm....Err. Let me start over, I really don't know what the Hell to say. One thing I kind say for sure is that Joe Abercrombie is one hell of a writer. Everytime I think that the next book can't get better, Dam he proves me wrong, Big Time.

Can't wait to read Best served Cold
Mr. Matt
Nov 19, 2013 Mr. Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Last Argument of Kings brings to close The First Law series; and what an ending. Forbidden powers are unleashed once more into the world in the desperate fight against the Gurkish and the Hundred. Adua, the capital of the Union, is in ruins. Great men are toppled and new men made, and the hand behind the curtain is finally revealed.

This series restores my hope in the fantasy genre. I am tired of Tolkein and clones of Tolkein. (Please, no more Robert Jordan.) The First Law series breaks – sh
Carmen
Mar 18, 2014 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who don't mind being depressed; fans of the first two books
I don't know what I expected. Certainly not a happy ending for everyone. Certainly not that. But with 15 or so characters in a trilogy you'd think there'd be SOME kind of good.

I get it, I really do. Abercrombie's created this dark world. Torture, murder, rape, war, torture, battle, dismemberment, torture, wasting diseases, slavery, oh - and did I mention torture? Don't worry - Abercrombie's thoroughly convinced me that his world is a crappy place - a place where you'd be better off not being bor
Athena Shardbearer
Epic/Dark Fantasy Buddy Read with Anasylvia, Alexa, Robin, Michelle, and Eon.

WTF!

I don't know how to rate this or what kind of review to write for this.....

Fuck it, I don't care what people think...I love this damn series. I will read it over and over and over again. I loved it so damn much that I ordered and bought the graphic novel...even though I can read it for free online. The First Law Graphic Novel Ugh..Its so flawed with these fucked up characters that I love them anyway. How is that I
  • The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4)
  • The White Luck Warrior (Aspect-Emperor, #2)
  • Memories of Ice (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3)
  • Stonewielder (Malazan Empire, #3)
  • Blade of Tyshalle (The Acts of Caine, #2)
  • The Silver Spike (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #3.5)
  • The Cold Commands
  • Evil for Evil (Engineer Trilogy, #2)
  • Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2)
Joe Abercrombie was educated at Lancaster Royal Grammar School and Manchester University, where he studied psychology. He moved into television production before taking up a career as a freelance film editor. During a break between jobs he began writing The Blade Itself in 2002, completing it in 2004. It was published by Gollancz in 2006 and was followed by two other books in The First Law Trilogy ...more
More about Joe Abercrombie...

The First Law (9 books)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law #1)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law #2)
  • Det lockande stålet. Bok 1 (Första lagen, #1)
  • Det lockande stålet. Bok 2 (Första lagen, #1)
  • Man bör förlåta bok 1 (Första lagen, #2)
  • Feuerklingen (2 von 2) (The First Law, #2 Part 2)
  • Königsklingen (1 von 2) (The First Law, #3 Part 1)
  • Det Yttersta Argumentet bok 2 (Första Lagen, #3)

“I have learned all kinds of things from my many mistakes. The one thing I never learn is to stop making them.” 879 likes
“Rules are for children. This is war, and in war the only crime is to lose.” 280 likes