Start by marking “Emily and the Dark Angel” as Want to Read:
Emily and the Dark Angel

Emily and the Dark Angel (Lovers and Ladies #4)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  352 ratings  ·  41 reviews
"New York Times" bestselling author Jo Beverley "brings the Regency Period to life." (Joan Hammond)
Emily Grantwich lives quietly with her crippled father and eccentric aunt, managing the family's land, until the fateful day she walks down the main street of Melton Mowbray and is showered with "Poudre de Violettes," thrown by a lady of loose morals at the handsomest man E
Published October 1st 2010 by New American Library (first published June 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Emily and the Dark Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emily and the Dark Angel

Grace
One reason I didn't like it was because I didn't like the male protagonist. He is supposed to be some tall, dark, dangerous guy but he comes off being slightly unchivalrous to women, going so far as to throw things at women. That happened in the very first appearance of him, and is supposedly to show that he's not to be taken advantage of, even by women. Granted, the woman was a harlot and she showed bad breeding, but still -- not a fan of a guy who's going to act out against women. Since that f ...more
Korynn
I really liked Jo Beverley's contributing story to "Irresistable Forces" so I thought I'd track down some of her other work which apparently completely resides in the world of romance. Out of four of her books, I only really enjoyed two and this was not one of them. First off, Beverley's Regency romances are a romance of manners - there is passionate kissing scenes but no hanky panky as I suppose high society guards its chastity more vigilantly. Emily is moderately competent, running her family' ...more
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Review originally posted at http://www.smexybooks.com/2010/10/rev...

Favorite Quote: “He’s called the Dark Angel. The devil. His horse is called Beelzebub. He shoots men who like sago pudding.”

“Seems fair. Only the lowest form of life would like that slimy stuff.”

Jo Beverley’s Emily And The Dark Angel was originally part of a series that began with Lord Wraybourne's Betrothal. I have waited a very long time for Piers Verderan’s story and am pleased that it lived up to my expectations.

Emily Granwi
Dee
I'll first admit that - uncharacteristically - I did not read the first three books in this series. I'm generally very precise about reading a series but I read the reviews and the blurbs and decided it would not affect the story if I only read this one and I had no interest in the others. That said, I enjoyed this book considerably. If I didn't know it was book 4 I'd never have been able to tell. I enjoyed the new-found spiritedness of Emily and thought it explained well - other reviewers thoug ...more
Jan
It had been a while since I'd read a historical romance, and this reminded me why I used to devour them.

Emily is a innocent country girl past her prime, who is struggling with the responsabilities of maintaining the family land after her father becomes disabled and her brother disappears during the war with France.

Enter Piers Verderan (Ver to his friends), the new neighbor, a notorious rake aptly called the Dark Angel. Disasters, chance encounters, small and big misunderstandings and a whole lot
Bookaholics
Emily and the Dark Angel by Jo Beverly
Historical Romance- Oct 5th, 2010
4 stars

This was an engaging Regency with extremely enjoyable characters. If you love sweet romances that are not steamy this book is just for you! Emily and the Dark Angel is a reprint from 1991 (so has a more reserved style than the author’s current books) and part of a series but it can be easily read by itself.

Emily is content in the country and at 26 well past the age of marrying. The quiet, plain daughter takes care of
Carrie
TBR Challenge 2011-- Recommended to me in the fall of 2010.

Emily and the Dark Angel was entertaining but not unique. While the book could be rated "G" based on the interactions of the characters, I'd hesitate to recommend this to a young teen because of handling of the subject of mistresses and "whores." One conversation, started by the hero, about who would be the first to "mount" the 17 yr old protege of a well-known "loose-woman" was particularly distasteful. As I said, the language and actua
Melanie
I reviewed this book for Romance Reader At Heart website.

RRAH's THOUGHTS AND PONDERINGS:

Our heroine, Emily Grantwich, is a spinster of twenty-six, intelligent, nice and witty. She has run her crippled father's house and property for three years in hopes of her brother's return from the war. She's a sensible woman who strives always to do the right thing and never crosses the line of respectability. Emily's innocence was refreshing, and that innocence let the author have fun with her character.
QNPoohBear
Emily Grantwich has grown from a quiet, dutiful daughter to a mature and competent woman of 26. With Emily's brother missing in action and her father left invalided after a duel with a neighbor, she has taken on the role of estate manager and relishes it. On one seemingly innocuous Market Day in Melton Mowbry, Emily tries to take care to stay out of the way of the dashing young bucks who come there for hunting but finds herself literally falling into a dark and handsome man and being showered wi ...more
Neha Patel
Dec 14, 2011 Neha Patel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Witty Regency Romance
Absolutely delightful! I am enjoying the budding romance between Emily and Ver, and I think they make a perfect couple. I like the way Jo Beverley writes this novel. She manages to bring the heat while keeping things sweet and simple. It is one of the best romances I am reading right now, mainly because it shows that love and attraction can happen at any time or any place and with anyone. I also enjoy it because Ver, the Dark Angel, has been able to prove to Emily that being prim and proper and ...more
Jade Zex
Jan 21, 2015 Jade Zex rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a quick, light read
Shelves: romance
Learned a lot more about fox hunts and the hunting seasons and "Meltonians" then I even knew existed. Lol.
Also...."Poudre de Violettes" a;; i will say about this is watch out for it. You never know what type of encounter might come from this stuff. Hahaha :)
Overall there were a few funny scenes and a bit of history as well which is no surprise as this is a novel set in Regency times.
Rachel C.
A decent Regency by Jo Beverley. My interest dipped a bit in the middle when Emily was waffling and prevaricating all over the place, but the story ended strong.
Gail
Good read. This is the one set around the foxhunts, where the heroine's father has had an accident rendering him unable to walk, but still quite able to bellow.
Kimmy
Did not like this book. Didn't really capture my interest.
Valerie
really enjoyed it . love Jo Beverley 'so books .
Lynne Tull
Well you have to believe in love at first sight to make this story believable. The hero reminds me of Justin Alistair, Duke of Avon, Georgette Heyer's Georgian Period hero in 'These Old Shades'..nickname "Satanas". The heroine is a plain Jane country girl...not a realistic match. I did however buy into the story. Mainly because I have liked the hero whenever he appeared throughout the whole series of related books. I was glad to know his story and glad he found his 'happily ever after'!
Kathryn
This was a fun book to read. It's a bit more steamy than what I'm used to but no more than kissing. I would probably have liked it more but I guess I've read a lot of books lately that fall into the "good-girl-falls-in-love-with-the-rake-who-changes-his-ways-and-the-girl-doesn't-care-about-her-reputation-or-the-guys-shady-past" category.

It was well written and the fox hunting felt very authentic. I would have given it a 3.5 so I'll round up to a 4.
Yona
I hate books where animals are being hunted for sport in this case foxes, but I started so I can as well finish it.

Emily is one very annoying character - she says that she is too old to get married but she believes almost every bad thing she hears about Verderan. Why she cares so much what everyone think. She is to naive for 26 years woman.

This was one really annoying book. I'm not sure how I managed to finish it.
Yvonne Gom
I was laughing in stitches while reading the book. Emily and Vederan is truly a match made in heaven. I like the way he knows he loves her and does not try to talk himself out of it and although was rejected rime and time again he never gives up. I would however like to read when Ver finally explains the Pudding episode properly to Emily.
CLM
Grabbed this and started rereading while waiting for my tea to boil this morning.... Beverley's writing is always good but the heroine is more annoying than I recalled. The hero's proximity affects her so powerfully she becomes incoherent, which is tiresome.
Ilze
The cover on the version I bought (the trade paperback published in 2010) is really unattractive. It may have influenced my reading in a negative way, but I never felt emotionally involved in the story or the h/h, even though they seemed to be nice people.
Alexa
This was an odd mix; sometimes trying to be a traditional regency, sometimes a flat-out farce, and sometimes with just a bit too much tedious historical scene-setting and name dropping. Weird. It had its moments though.
Diana
Beverley's gentle wit and wicked humor are timeless.
Complete review is here: "War-torn Europe Provides a Unique Well-Researched Backdrop to a Skillfully Crafted Murder Mystery"
Cary
WOW! A romance and only kisses were bestowed? Way cool! Plus the plot wasn't too bad! Predictable but then how many romantic plots are there actually?
Mary Lauer
I love this story. I love that Emily gives Ver a place to feel safe and he gives her a place to fly. They really do help each other be their best.
Pamela
Here is my review courtesy of Romance Junkies: http://romancejunkiesreviews.com/artm...
catharooni
delightful! fun way to start the new year off ... and i love it when rakes become respectable. sigh ... a gal can always hope, hmmm?
catherine james
A very enjoyable Regency romance: humor, wit and no tedious love scenes, which is exactly the palette cleanser I needed. Marvelous!
Angela
The hero or main male role in this book epitomizes tall dark and handsome but you get a closer look at his inner character.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 10, 2015 07:48AM
  • Fallen Angel
  • Summer Campaign
  • The Notorious Rake (Waite, #3)
  • Once Upon a Christmas (Nobody, #2)
  • The English Witch (Trevelyan Family, #2)
  • Lady Elizabeth's Comet (Clanross, #1)
  • The Rake and the Wallflower
  • Snowdrops and Scandalbroth (Regency Romance)
  • The Sugar Rose
  • Back in Society (The Poor Relation, #6)
Mary Josephine Dunn was born 22 September 1947 in Lancashire, England, UK. At the age of eleven she went to an all-girls boarding school, Layton Hill Convent, Blackpool. At sixteen, she wrote her first romance, with a medieval setting, completed in installments in an exercise book. From 1966 to 1970, she obtained a degree in English history from Keele University in Staffordshire, where she met her ...more
More about Jo Beverley...

Lovers and Ladies (6 books)
  • The Stanforth Secrets (Lovers and Ladies, #1)
  • Lord Wraybourne's Betrothed (Lovers and Ladies, #2)
  • The Stolen Bride (Lovers and Ladies, #3)
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lovers and Ladies, #5)
  • Deirdre and Don Juan (Lovers and Ladies, #6)
My Lady Notorious (Malloren, #1) An Arranged Marriage (Company of Rogues, #1) An Unwilling Bride (Company of Rogues, #2) Devilish (Malloren, #5) Something Wicked (Malloren, #3)