A Killing Tide

A Killing Tide

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  424 ratings  ·  58 reviews
2007 RITA Finalist

WHERE THERE'S SMOKE...
Kaz Jorgensen is used to fear--the anxiety of negotiating treacherous currents as she captains her family's fishing trawlers, the terrifying nightmares of the day she almost lost her life on the river. But now a man is dead, an arsonist has set the Anna Marie ablaze and her brother is missing, accused of both crimes. How much more ca...more
Published (first published December 1st 2006)

Lisa
I love nothing better than a rainstorm when I’m inside with a cup of hot tea and a new book by a new, to me, author. Today I got to discover A Killing Tide by PJ Alderman.

The great state of Oregon and the city of Astoria are as much characters in the story as are Kaz Jorgensen captains her family's fishing trawler, her best friend Lucy McGuire Astoria police detective, Michael Chapman the new fire chief/arson investigator, and the all important Zeke, German Shepherd and canine companion.

The desc...more
Anita Wilkerson
This is billed as a mystery in Amazon Kindle. It's really a Harlequin Romance wrapped around a mystery. Fun, if you like that sort of thing, but I knew who was going to get the girl in the first five pages, which is why I stopped reading Harlequin Romances at 17. On a postive note, PJ Alderman does a lovely job of describing the small villages which make their living from the sea and the Columbia River. It's not a bad read, just don't look for complexity.
Edie Ramer
It's hard to believe this is a first book, it's so good. Alderman did everything right and I didn't want to stop reading. Kaz Jorgensen takes time out from her successful business in San Francisco to return home to Astoria, Oregon to help save her twin brother's fishing business. Then her twin's best friend is killed, he's the suspect and nowhere to be found. Kaz can't believe he did it, and sets out to prove it.

Michael Chapman, the town's new fire chief, is a former top arson investigator from...more
C.
I love the subject of the paranormal and have found it absent in today’s mysteries. I was thrilled to discover P.J. Alderman, among a few rare authors delving into it. I like to see what else writers have published and noticed her first novel “A Killing Tide” 2006; not paranormal. Hoping the water craft on the cover didn’t indicate military leanings, which aren’t to my taste, I followed my habit of trying all of an author’s work.

It took a while to dig in but not for any lack of action and a wort...more
Tamara Littrell
The suspense in the storyline was there, enough to keep me reading and the twists with the characters kept me guessing who the killer really was. But...The romance between the two main characters was predictable and unbelievable, giving it a Harlequin Romance feel. Seriously, who feels like having an all-night, marathon-love-making, first-time encounter after you've just been beaten within an inch of your life and have been threatened that you have 24 hours to save your brothers life?
I did think...more
Jae
Great book. I simply couldn't put it down. Loved the characters and the details of this fishing village. At times it felt like I was in the middle of it all with rain cutting through the salty air and struggling to maintain balance while guiding a boat at its wheel. The plot was neatly worked out, maintaining the mystery until near the end. Although I was able to guess the killer before the central characters did, the action leading to the resolution kept me enthralled. Can't wait for the sequel...more
With Butterflies
A book I couldn't finish. I like thriller type books, but the romance in this is cheese to the max in a barfable way. If the mystery aspect would have been better I would have been able to overlook the romance dud, but even that part was bad so I had to hit the ol gong about halfway through, ditch it, and delete it from my Kindle.
Amanda
I'm torn on deciding if I like this book or didn't. It's well done but seemed to drag along in areas, which caused me to become impatient with the writing - also there were never any hints along the way to keep me interested in where it was going.
Al Canary
I'm at 32% on my Kindle version & am reaching boredom. But because of so many good reviews, I'll slog on. Naaaaah. Finally quit at around 50% due to extreme boredom. (I'm beginning to wonder if the 5 star reviewers are solicited.)
Carolyn
Had to read it because of the local color from my neck of the woods. Bleah! Lots of cliches, poorly edited, a romance worthy of a bodice-ripper, and the killer tipped way early, even for me (I almost never guess them).
Amy
Kaz Jorgensen has returned to her hometown, a picturesque Oregon fishing community, to help her twin brother with the family boats. But her life is turned upside down when a man is killed, one of her boats explodes, and her brother--considered the primary suspect in the killing and arson--disappears. Hidden undercurrents ripple throughout the community, and Kaz no longer knows who she can trust.

Michael Chapman, the new fire chief in town, has barely unpacked when he finds himself leading an ars...more
Terri
Decent read. The story was good, the plot thickened, but I was distracted. The characters were pretty good, not real defined personalities, but good, but I was distracted. The story takes place in Astoria, Oregon and I actually lived on the other side of the Astoria bridge in Washington, and my grandfather fished in the very area in the book. That was fun....but there were those distractions. The distractions were the spelling and grammar .....they were not good. Words were left out, the spellin...more
Barbara Blanc
This was the first book of this author that I read. I have waited a long time for the sequel to come out. I have it ready to read in my Kindel. Her Ghost stories are also great. This one is deep and a true thriller of a mystery, but the other two are a light fun read. A great new author and I for one hope she writes a lot more.
Diana
DNF. At 50% I have no clue what's going on and I've lost interest. That's far too long to tease me without any reveals. Heroine Kaz is withholding into and lying to her cop bff, ditto lying to hero arson cop in order to protect her twin brother who is withholding info and lying to Kaz.

I'll probably try this author again, but the slow start (halfway?) has caused me to grow impatient with all of the characters' (and the author's) extreme secret keeping.
Eric Wright
I downloaded Alderman's "A Killing Tide," because I wanted to gain a sense of boats and fishing trawlers for a scenario I'm working on in a current project. It gave me good background on the west coast, the Columbia river, and storms. I found the book interesting with fairly well developed characters and plot. Sometimes the story dragged but all in all it was an enjoyable read with the exception of a rather explicite sex scene.
Kathleen Rowland
P.J. Alderman is a talented writer of mystery, not to mention scenes so realistic I can smell, feel, see, and taste them. In A KILLING TIDE Kiz Jorgensen is true to her roots and loyalties. She's tough-minded and determined to prove her brother innocent. I HUGELY loved this book and look forward to more from P.J. Alderman.
Lecia Finney
The mystery element of the book was really fun and captivating. Very nicely done.
The romance however-not so much. I understand these types of books have the balance of action and romance, but this was pretty roughly done.
Overall-a good travel type book, easy to read, easy to put down
Heather
Keep in mind the rating is with regard to the "romantic thriller" genre, not literature overall. Not my favorite genre, but it was $0.99. Anyway, there were excerpts of some of her other books at the end of this one, and if they came down to that kind of price, I'd read 'em too.
Rosemarie
I was very surprised when I read this. I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but it was very good. Held my interest, good suspense. The next book in the series was to come out summer 2011, but I can't find it in B&N/Nook. Hmm...I really want to read it!
Reena O'rourke
I thought this book was pretty good. The suspense kept me flipping the pages to uncover more twists and turns, to see if my guesses were right. My main complaint about this book is the soap opera style romance. Felt that it cheapened the mystery a little.
Irene
An excellent book. Story kept me on my toes, provided action drama and a bit of romance. I've liked ever book by PJ Alderman I've read thus far. I'll definitely be reading the next in the series. If you enjoy a good Mystery, you'll enjoy this book!
Roy
so-so... It's a "romantic" mystery, not to my taste. I somehow acquired it when I got my tablet with Kendle installed. So I figured what the heck, I'll read it to see what its like. I don't think I'll be reading any more P. J. Alderman.
Helen
I needed something for diversion while sitting bedside in the hospital. This mystery sounded interesting because the setting was Astoria where our son was stationed for awhile in the Coast Guard. The story was okay but predictable.
Debie Orrell
This book shows family love and bonding between twins, extreme jealousy and murder mystery just because life doesn't entitle some like they think they deserve. Strong characters that make the storyline intriguing and hard to put down.
Holly Porter
So good and suspenseful, my sewing got neglected. Loved the main characters, and it was hard to figure out the bad guys. It is from 2006, but went digital in 2010. There is a sequel, Phantom River, but not on Amazon yet.
Sharon Ader
This book drew my attention because of the coastal crabbing business right out of Portland, Oregon's treacherous transit from the Columbia River into the Pacific Ocean. All in all, it was an o.k. book.
Tw
The romantic novel with a mystery attached.... I'll admit it kept my attention, primarily due to the extremely strong character, Kaz and the accurate depictions of traditional maritime life.
Amy
This book is set in Oregon on the Columbia River. I was able to get a picture and better understand Alderman's (author) story because I had just seen a documentary about the Columbia River on TV.
Meaghan
Meh. Pretty much sums it up. I miss the quirky characters, especially the fabulously entertaining ghosts, from her other series. Without them, this book doesn't have quite the same heart.
Donna
I loved this book. There are so many reasons why I am not going to attempt to say why. Read it when you don't have time to pour over flowery language and you time is limited. It goes fast.
  • Mortal Pursuit
  • The Abbey
  • Eyewall
  • Peppermint Creek Inn (Undercover, #1)
  • The Phoenix Apostles (A Seneca Hunt Mystery #1)
  • All the Blue-Eyed Angels (Erin Solomon Pentalogy, #1)
  • Irrefutable
  • Lust (Lust, Money & Murder, #1)
  • The Dead Saint
  • Deceitful Moon
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • Resuscitation (Sam Rizzo #2)
  • January Kills Me
  • A Dead Red Heart (A Dead Red #2)
  • Capitol Reflections
2007 RITA Finalist and award-winning author P.J. Alderman has lived in the Pacific Northwest for more than twenty-five years, where she pursues her life-long passions of writing and native gardening. After winning numerous contests, her first novel, A Killing Tide, was published in December, 2006, to extremely positive reviews. Dubbed "a debut novel nearly flawless in its execution" and "an edge-o...more
More about P.J. Alderman...
Haunting Jordan (A Port Chatham Mystery #1) Ghost Ship (A Port Chatham Mystery #2) Phantom River (Columbia River Thrillers) Ghost Ship: A Port Chatham Mystery