Start by marking “A Killing Tide” as Want to Read:
A Killing Tide

A Killing Tide (Columbia River #1)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  765 ratings  ·  75 reviews
2007 RITA Finalist

WHERE THERE'S SMOKE...
Kaz Jorgensen is used to fear--the anxiety of negotiating treacherous currents as she captains her family's fishing trawlers, the terrifying nightmares of the day she almost lost her life on the river. But now a man is dead, an arsonist has set the Anna Marie ablaze and her brother is missing, accused of both crimes. How much more ca
Published (first published December 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Killing Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Killing Tide

Una Tiers
While the Oregon descriptions were nice, this was no more than a bodice, ripper (phrase taken from another review). There is no reality check. The whole attack, emergency room, the ensuing sexual encounter is ridiculous. A sand bar or other obstacle is mentioned several times without an explanation.
Maybe 2.5.
Lisa
I love nothing better than a rainstorm when I’m inside with a cup of hot tea and a new book by a new, to me, author. Today I got to discover A Killing Tide by PJ Alderman.

The great state of Oregon and the city of Astoria are as much characters in the story as are Kaz Jorgensen captains her family's fishing trawler, her best friend Lucy McGuire Astoria police detective, Michael Chapman the new fire chief/arson investigator, and the all important Zeke, German Shepherd and canine companion.

The desc
Edie Ramer
It's hard to believe this is a first book, it's so good. Alderman did everything right and I didn't want to stop reading. Kaz Jorgensen takes time out from her successful business in San Francisco to return home to Astoria, Oregon to help save her twin brother's fishing business. Then her twin's best friend is killed, he's the suspect and nowhere to be found. Kaz can't believe he did it, and sets out to prove it.

Michael Chapman, the town's new fire chief, is a former top arson investigator from
Anita Wilkerson
This is billed as a mystery in Amazon Kindle. It's really a Harlequin Romance wrapped around a mystery. Fun, if you like that sort of thing, but I knew who was going to get the girl in the first five pages, which is why I stopped reading Harlequin Romances at 17. On a postive note, PJ Alderman does a lovely job of describing the small villages which make their living from the sea and the Columbia River. It's not a bad read, just don't look for complexity.
Carolyn
Had to read it because of the local color from my neck of the woods. Bleah! Lots of cliches, poorly edited, a romance worthy of a bodice-ripper, and the killer tipped way early, even for me (I almost never guess them).
C.
I love the subject of the paranormal and have found it absent in today’s mysteries. I was thrilled to discover P.J. Alderman, among a few rare authors delving into it. I like to see what else writers have published and noticed her first novel “A Killing Tide” 2006; not paranormal. Hoping the water craft on the cover didn’t indicate military leanings, which aren’t to my taste, I followed my habit of trying all of an author’s work.

It took a while to dig in but not for any lack of action and a wort
Tamara Littrell
The suspense in the storyline was there, enough to keep me reading and the twists with the characters kept me guessing who the killer really was. But...The romance between the two main characters was predictable and unbelievable, giving it a Harlequin Romance feel. Seriously, who feels like having an all-night, marathon-love-making, first-time encounter after you've just been beaten within an inch of your life and have been threatened that you have 24 hours to save your brothers life?
I did think
Connie Jasperson
Today I am not reviewing a fantasy or a scifi book--instead I am reviewing a contemporary thriller, located on the Columbia River, in a town I am most familiar with--Astoria. You may remember the town from the 1985 movie "Goonies."

A Killing Tide, was a RITA finalist and climbed the charts to stay on the New York Times and USA Today bestselling lists for eight weeks. I can tell you why – this book grips you from the first page.

The BLURB:

Where there's smoke...

Kaz Jorgensen is used to fear--the an
Jae
Great book. I simply couldn't put it down. Loved the characters and the details of this fishing village. At times it felt like I was in the middle of it all with rain cutting through the salty air and struggling to maintain balance while guiding a boat at its wheel. The plot was neatly worked out, maintaining the mystery until near the end. Although I was able to guess the killer before the central characters did, the action leading to the resolution kept me enthralled. Can't wait for the sequel ...more
With Butterflies
A book I couldn't finish. I like thriller type books, but the romance in this is cheese to the max in a barfable way. If the mystery aspect would have been better I would have been able to overlook the romance dud, but even that part was bad so I had to hit the ol gong about halfway through, ditch it, and delete it from my Kindle.
Lynn
This book was a good example of a well constructed murder mystery/thriller with a romantic story as a part of the plot. I'm not overly fond of "romance novels," but I found this mystery to be well paced and compelling, and the romance not to be the prime focus of the story, with the mystery as a kind of afterthought as is sometimes the case. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and highly recommend it to others who enjoy a good mystery tale. I plan to see what else this author will be offering in the f ...more
Amy
Kaz Jorgensen has returned to her hometown, a picturesque Oregon fishing community, to help her twin brother with the family boats. But her life is turned upside down when a man is killed, one of her boats explodes, and her brother--considered the primary suspect in the killing and arson--disappears. Hidden undercurrents ripple throughout the community, and Kaz no longer knows who she can trust.

Michael Chapman, the new fire chief in town, has barely unpacked when he finds himself leading an ars
Black Butterfly
Jun 26, 2015 Black Butterfly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: AMAZON
A MURDER-MYSTERY-THRILLER-SUSPENCE-ROMANCE ALL THIS GOING ON IN A VERY SMALL TOWN. THE TOWN IS FULL OF SECRETS ALONG WITH CHANGING TIMES SEEMS LIKE SOME OF THE SECRETS ARE ACTUALLY KILLING PEOPLE. MICHEAL & KAZ HAD AN ITCH, FUNNY HOW THE HARDER YOU TRY NOT TO SCRATCH THE MORE YOU WANT TO. THEY HAD A HABIT OF THE “MAYBE, MAYBE NOT’S “ALL THE TIME. THE SECRET PART WAS DRAWN OUT WAY, WAY TOO LONG TO ME. I FIGURED OUT AT 11% WHO IT WAS. DUG-DUH-DAAA! ;
Terri
Decent read. The story was good, the plot thickened, but I was distracted. The characters were pretty good, not real defined personalities, but good, but I was distracted. The story takes place in Astoria, Oregon and I actually lived on the other side of the Astoria bridge in Washington, and my grandfather fished in the very area in the book. That was fun....but there were those distractions. The distractions were the spelling and grammar .....they were not good. Words were left out, the spellin ...more
Wendy Willett
Exciting tale of murder, mystery and finding out what possibilities life could have in store.

Life in a small town becomes dangerous pitting friends and family against each other. Love seeks to complicate matters as this story unfolds. Really good book.
Roy Stephenson
I knew I would like this book by the end of the first page. P. J. Alderman writes an easy to read story with well developed characters and exquisitely developed scenes. Her style guarantees you will turn the next page and probably finish the book before you turn in for the night. That happened to me. Get this book, or any of her books and you will be in for a great read.
Barbara Blanc
This was the first book of this author that I read. I have waited a long time for the sequel to come out. I have it ready to read in my Kindel. Her Ghost stories are also great. This one is deep and a true thriller of a mystery, but the other two are a light fun read. A great new author and I for one hope she writes a lot more.
Michelle
Second book by this author, very good

The story was mysterious with believable characters with flaws and strengths. The mystery was good and did a good job putting romance with it without either overwhelmingly the other. Have this author on my "will read again" list
Leonard
Killing to tide

Giving this book a 5 it kept me from putting it down and I am going to have to find more of pm Anderson's books
Kerry
I absolutely loved this book. The perfect combination of mystery and romance. I hope there's a book focusing on Lucy and Gary soon!!!
Marilyn
Good

this was about one small town in Oragon that was full of illgia drugs and dirty cops from the top on down.
Jill
I enjoyed the book but it seemed to drag in places.
Steve Wenn
really good action adventure crime book. going straight on to sequel
Jim
Good mystery set in Astoria in the Pacific Northwest.
Tiffany Tinkham-Graves
You've got a woman that oversees a fishing boat with her brother and a small crew. Her world gets flipped upside down when someone tries to burn one of her boats and murders a crew member. Her brother disappears and local police think he is somehow involved in the arson and murder. The town's new fire Chief inspector takes it into his own hands to solve the mystery and save the woman he is falling head over heels for.

Great read that was hard to put down!
Diana
DNF. At 50% I have no clue what's going on and I've lost interest. That's far too long to tease me without any reveals. Heroine Kaz is withholding into and lying to her cop bff, ditto lying to hero arson cop in order to protect her twin brother who is withholding info and lying to Kaz.

I'll probably try this author again, but the slow start (halfway?) has caused me to grow impatient with all of the characters' (and the author's) extreme secret keeping.
Allison
I have read several other books by P.J. Alderman and enjoyed them. This one was a bit "darker" I think than the Port Chatham mysteries as it deals with illegal drugs, assaults and murder. I really enjoyed it however and would read more in the series. I liked all the details about Astoria, Oregon, one of my favorite little towns and I could really connect with the story as I recognized some of the landmarks and area that were referenced.
Eric Wright
I downloaded Alderman's "A Killing Tide," because I wanted to gain a sense of boats and fishing trawlers for a scenario I'm working on in a current project. It gave me good background on the west coast, the Columbia river, and storms. I found the book interesting with fairly well developed characters and plot. Sometimes the story dragged but all in all it was an enjoyable read with the exception of a rather explicite sex scene.
Shawna Fuller
decent read, quick and fun. nothing earth shattering.
Beckie Loquvam
A good story set in Astoria.
  • Lost in Shadows (Shadow Ops, #2)
  • Mortal Pursuit
  • Peppermint Creek Inn (Undercover, #1)
  • Eyewall
  • Just Run
  • Riptide
  • The Betrayal
  • Twisted Justice
  • Cry of the Needle
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • January Kills Me (Samantha Rialto #1)
  • Lust (Lust, Money & Murder, #1)
  • A Dozen Deadly Roses
  • Of Mice and Murderers (Z Series)
  • The Phoenix Apostles (A Seneca Hunt Mystery #1)
  • Heartbreak Highway
  • Metro Star Murders
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author P. J. Alderman has spent more than two decades in the Pacific Northwest port towns that inspire her romantic thrillers and mysteries. Her contemporary Columbia River thriller, A Killing Tide, was a RITA finalist and recently climbed the charts to stay on the New York Times and USA Today bestselling lists for eight weeks.

Alderman's Port Chatham cozy m
More about P.J. Alderman...

Columbia River (2 books)
  • Phantom River (Columbia River, #2)
Haunting Jordan (A Port Chatham Mystery #1) Ghost Ship (A Port Chatham Mystery #2) Phantom River (Columbia River, #2)

“damage” 0 likes