Start by marking “Wish List (Donovan Creed, #5)” as Want to Read:
Wish List (Donovan Creed, #5)

Wish List (Donovan Creed #5)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,161 Ratings  ·  142 Reviews
Be careful what you wish for!
When Buddy Pancake and his drinking buddies stumble across the Wish List website, they jokingly post their “impossible” wishes. Imagine their surprise when, one by one, the wishes start coming true! But Buddy and his pals neglected to read the fine print explaining the price they must pay for the wishes they’ve been granted.
Wish list is a compe
Published (first published September 6th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Wish List, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wish List

Henry C.
Mar 16, 2011 Henry C. rated it it was amazing
Wow, what can I say about Wish List. I'm not a serious reader, I don't schedule dedicated time during the day/week to read. When I find a book I like, I read it.

The only reason I bought Wish List was because it had rave reviews on the Kindle Book Store. I read the first two chapters last week. Then, last night I stayed up until 2:16am finishing it. I literally could not put it down! I went from 28% done to 100% in one night!

This book is a roller coaster of a story, half the time you're just itch
Harry
Continuing with my pursuit of the lone Hero (see reviews for Joe Pike novels, John Rain novels, and Jack Reacher novels) Donovan Creed is probably the most unique character I came across.

I'd never heard of John Locke until I received my Kindle DX in the mail. Locke made his fame and fortune self-publishing his books in the Kindle world. For the Kindle, his books are ridiculously inexpensive (around $0.99 to $1.99). I was surprised at what I read and hooked from the start. Unlike my other series
Shyla Power
Mar 10, 2011 Shyla Power rated it did not like it
I got this book because it showed up as a recommendation after book 1 of the hunger games trilogy on my Kindle. Good thing it was only 99 cents or $2.99..even then it was overpriced. 202 pages doesn't exactly lend to much plot development. It was like he was told "you have 200 pages to write a story and that's it." Because there were some unbelievable "coincidences" just thrown in towards the end of the book to explain away the ease with which Donovan Creed mopped up the mess.

I noticed that Don
Catherine
Feb 24, 2012 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Wish List by John Locke

I’m not going to recap what this story is about. The author did that on the back cover. What I will do is tell you why I thought Wish List was so compelling.

You must know that I haven’t read outside of my genre in years. To pick up a suspense, mystery, or however the author categorized this book, obviously isn’t my norm. So let’s break down why I read Wish List.

First is the cover. Have you seen it? Even before it went into mass-market paperback under John’s own label, th
Lori Anderson
Feb 01, 2011 Lori Anderson rated it really liked it
Yet another of my "trolling through Kindle" purchases. It ended up being a rather good read!

Think of [The Monkey's Paw] gone even more horribly wrong. A web site allows a person to wish for four things. Suddenly, people appear on your doorstep to make them come true. But of course, there's a catch, because of course you didn't read the fine print -- you owe them four deeds of their choosing, to make four other people's wishes come true. And those deeds? They ain't pretty.

Sure there's some bumpy
Drama Diva
May 19, 2011 Drama Diva rated it did not like it
Wow. I can't even describe how upset I am that I bought this book, even for .99. I tried to sample but 70% of the sample (yea I looked at the percentages and this is true) is a huge list with pages and pages and pages of 5 star reviews. So even though I didn't get to sample the book really, I figured I can't go wrong, right? Oh boy was I wrong. Dialogue was so unrealistic, actually the whole thing was so unrealistic. And I can only conclude the author hates, or bare minimum has no respect for, w ...more
James
Jan 30, 2012 James rated it really liked it
Read this somewhere over the summer. As with many if not all of the Creed series, I find these books very disturbing yet incredibly addictive. I have serious questions as to Mr Locke's sanity, and/or the sort of things he's done in his life. To come up with some of the scenarios, situations, responses and thought processes of many of these characters, I'm greatly disturbed by that. Yet I love how strange and unusual is their thought processing and how they view these various situations.

Mr Locke
ABookFiend
Nov 12, 2011 ABookFiend rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series, thriller
I purchased this book based on reviews and it did not disappoint. I consider it a bargain at 99 cents. This book is full of intriguing characters and after reading it, I immediately looked for more in the Donovan Creed series.

This book has Donovan Creed (former CIA agent) take a back seat for the sad tale of Buddy Pancake. Buddy is an average middle-aged guy who is mislead by a childhood friend into joining an online website called The Wishlist where four wishes are granted. Too bad most people
Gina
Apr 28, 2014 Gina rated it it was ok
I'm at the point where I'm only reading these books for two reasons...one is because I do like the Dani Ripper series and it seems to be a spin off of this. The other is that, 5 books in, I figure what the hell, I'll just finish them anyway. They're mostly short at 250-400 eBook pages. When the series was just about Donovan I did enjoy it though don't consider it some sort of masterpiece like others seem to. Now Locke seems to be losing his grip on something. More than half the book (similar to ...more
Giuseppe Maxia
Feb 15, 2013 Giuseppe Maxia rated it did not like it
I can't believe how many good reviews this book has got! It is, at best, a book where the characters lack any moral principles, villains and heroes alike. But that would only be if the book were readable, which it isn't. Its language is juvenile and unrealistic, the dialog unbelievable, and the plot is such a pile of dung that I marvel myself for finishing it. I don't mind if the author makes a few bucks, but I am really disappointed at how gullible his readership is.
Rosalind
Aug 23, 2012 Rosalind rated it really liked it
Such a surprise, Ive had this book on my Kobo for ages as a .99 purchase. Decided to start reading yesterday and couldnt put it down. It was riveting. A quick read with no unnecessary filler, just a great story with great characters. I will definitely looking for more in this line!! What would you do if you could have 4 wishes?? Just be careful what you wish for...it may just come true!!
Emma Wharram
Jun 13, 2014 Emma Wharram rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-2014
What if a website could grant you four wishes... What would you wish for? What would you expect to pay in Return? When Buddy Pancake, a loser by his own admission, in a dead end job, find such a Site... he wishes for one thing out of his league, one to set him up for life, one for revenge... and one simple some thing maybe we would all wish for. When things start to happen he thinks nothing of the consequences until it's too late... he is up to his neck in it and desperate for help... shop despe ...more
Cindy DeMoville
Feb 02, 2011 Cindy DeMoville rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-books-read
This is the second book by this author... He writes reallly different... definitely not boring... kindle book .99cents... ha
Melissa Graham
Feb 14, 2011 Melissa Graham rated it really liked it
Interesting book...took a turn in the middle that I totally wasn't expecting!
Andrea Susan
May 31, 2015 Andrea Susan rated it it was amazing
Another fast paced intriguing plot and character driven work.
Lori
Feb 18, 2011 Lori rated it it was amazing
could not put it down, crazy little read, but thoroughly enjoyable
Jason
May 07, 2013 Jason rated it really liked it
Interesting story. I like the way moved.
Mary Catherine
Mar 27, 2011 Mary Catherine rated it liked it
We hear it all the time.

“Make a wish,” is something that’s said on a birthday, immediately before the candles are blown out.

Shooting stars are said to grant wishes.

“If you had three wishes, what would you wish for (and no wishing for more wishes!)?” is a question that tends to get asked as a game.

WISH LIST is a mix of thrilling terror and dark humor that speaks to all readers in a single question – What would you do for four wishes, any four wishes?

It seems like such a simple concept but author
Renee Pawlish
Disappointing. As an author, I was curious to read a John Locke book, since he's been so hugely successful. After reading this book, I can say "I don't get it." What do people see in his writing, or the character of Donovan Creed?
First, it's a Creed novel, so why is most of it from Buddy Pancake's point of view? Second, Buddy (and all the characters) have no real likeability or presence...they're all schmucks. Third, I don't buy into Creed. His humor wasn't funny (all the jokes throughout the bo
Eva Leger
Jul 20, 2011 Eva Leger rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in Locke's Donovan Creed series that I read. I'd have read them in order had I known it was a series but that information wasn't here or on amazon at the time. As it is I've bought the others and will not read them in order. One good thing about Locke's stories is that they're damn near unforgettable. I usually forget most, sometimes all, of a story when I'm finished because my memory is so bad but I can remember both of these books and keep them separate in my mind.
I rea
Melyssa Dawn Michaels
This book was passed along to me by a friend. It was a novel by an author I had never heard about. I could have taken the time and researched said author before reading but I decided given the blurb on the back of the book that I would just dive right in. That being said, once I began reading this book I found it difficult to put down.
The main idea of this story is based on wishes and we all know as with the genie and the lamp that all wishes in the end have consequences and so was the case wit
Maira
Sep 20, 2012 Maira added it
Well, this was a strange book. Maybe it is the sign of the times, since we are moving away from in depth reading, maybe adult fiction is moving towards quick, intense reads. The 215 pages consisted of chapters 1 (yes one!) to 7 pages long. I found one chapter that was 8 pages, most ran 3-4 pages. I think most kids' book chapters run longer than that. 215 pages of fast, non-stop action. Then there were 20 pages before you get to the story itself, mostly promotion for his next novel, of which you ...more
Claudia
Jun 03, 2014 Claudia rated it it was amazing
Be careful of what you wish for!

I was walking and browse the books in Barnes and Noble, look up and to tell you the truth the price of the book caught my eye. Never heard of this author before, so I read the back of this book to discover it caught my interest. Gave it a day or two and I jumped into the madness.

While reading this short but sweet story of three men’s that discovers a website that grants some wishes not all, as the reading came across as, psychiatric disorder. It wasn’t the three
Stephanie
Mar 05, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it
This is a quick read, finished it in a couple hours. It only cost 99 cents on my Kindle, so I consider it a bargain.

I enjoyed this story, lots of surprise plot twists packed into a few pages. It reminded me of the Twilight Zone story called "The Box." That's the one where someone receives a mysterious box in the mail. If the recipient pushes a button on the box, it will make their wish come true, but someone they don't know will die.

This book is similar in concept, but instead of receiving a box
Carol  MacInnis
Aug 21, 2012 Carol MacInnis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Buddy Pancake and his two best buddies, Mike and Richie are sitting around in Buddy's basement office smoking a joint. As they all day dream who would be their biggest conquest in an unrealistic world, Mike and Richie tell Buddy of a website they found called 'Wish List' where you go in and put down your biggest wishes. So one night Buddy puts on his computer to the site and puts in totally unreachable wishes and one not so difficult to obtain. As luck would have it, Buddy is granted one of his ...more
Emily
Mar 07, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads (www.goodreads.com)

I absolutely LOVED the premise of this book! The synopsis tells you exactly what to expect: make 4 wishes, but be ready to pay the price.

Initially, I was a little offended by the crude language, but I reminded myself this is a book by a male author and told from the perspective of a male character.

Once the story got going, I was HOOKED and couldn’t put the book down. The heart of the story is a rollercoaster ride; it
Michelle Colloton
I received a copy of this book from free from Goodreads through the First Reads program.

This wasn't a bad book. There just wasn't anything I found to be great about it either. The premise behind the book is actually very interesting, but the way it plays out is so unbelievable that I could never really get into it. The characters are either completely one dimensional, or they immediately jump from good to evil with no real explanation. I really enjoyed most of the writing style, which sounds lik
Mary
Aug 15, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
Buddy Pancake (just love the name) is a guy who just seems to be down on his luck and then out of the blue, the wishes that he puts into a website start to come true. The only thing is that they all come with a price and it is a pretty heavy one. You never know what will happen from one page to the next in this book. LIke all other Locke books, this has you laughing one minute and gasping in surprise the next. Very original, great dialogue and the characters are so much fun. This is another Dono ...more
Holly
Apr 30, 2012 Holly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I recieved this book as a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. When I first started this book I had a lot of trouble getting through the gruff language and some of the content. I realize the narrator is a male but it was still surprising to me. I also had trouble with the plot line. The only reason I did not stop reading it was because I always feel guilty when I do not give a book a full chance. The main character did not even come into play until over 2/3 of the book was already finished. I feel li ...more
Maggie White
Jul 03, 2014 Maggie White rated it liked it
Bubblegum for the mind. Buddy Pancake makes 4 wishes on an Internet wish site and is shocked when they start coming true. Donovan Creed is an assassin that Buddy calls in to help when things get too rough.
Goodreads Librari...: wish list 2 24 Nov 11, 2012 02:17AM
  • Call Me
  • Deceitful Moon
  • Identity Crisis
  • A Dozen Deadly Roses
  • The Hunters
  • Playing The Game
  • Murder by the Old Maine Stream (Nora Lassiter, #1)
  • No Fear
  • A Place of Strangers
  • Fifth Avenue (Fifth Avenue #1)
  • Killer
  • The Warrior (Warriors, #1)
  • Pilgrim Soul (Douglas Brodie, #3 / Danny McRae, #3)
  • The Sex Club (Detective Jackson Mystery, #1)
  • Tremolo: Cry of the Loon
  • Tattooed (Kate Lange #3)
  • Sarah's Diary
  • The Mummy Case (Jim Knighthorse, #2)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more information. This is the novelist (2x spaces), not the philosopher (1x space).

New York Times best-selling author John Locke is the international best-selling author of sixteen books in four different genres. He is the 8th author in history to have sold one million eBooks on Kindle. Loc
More about John Locke...

Donovan Creed (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Lethal People (Donovan Creed, #1)
  • Lethal Experiment (Donovan Creed, #2)
  • Saving Rachel (Donovan Creed, #3)
  • Now & Then (Donovan Creed, #4)
  • A Girl Like You (Donovan Creed, #6)
  • Vegas Moon (Donovan Creed, #7)
  • The Love You Crave (Donovan Creed, #8)
  • Maybe (Donovan Creed, #9)
  • Callie's Last Dance (Donovan Creed, #10)
  • Because We Can!