Start by marking “Death of a Dustman (Hamish Macbeth, #16)” as Want to Read:
Death of a Dustman (Hamish Macbeth, #16)

Death of a Dustman (Hamish Macbeth #16)

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  2,757 Ratings  ·  172 Reviews
A bullying tyrant with a neat uniform and a new truck, Lochdubh's dustman, Fergus Macleod, issues harsh fines and enforces petty rules - until he is found dead, stuffed into a recycling bin. Harnish Macbeth not only must solve the murder, but juggle his lazy new constable and labor trouble washing over the new oceanfront hotel.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Dustman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Dustman

Jessica
Oct 17, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I'm telling you, people: M.C. Beaton's books are like potato chips! I can't stop! Every single one is a delight, a joy, a little vacation for the reader! I love her romances as Marion Chesney, I love her mysteries as M.C. Beaton, I LOVE HER!!

Death of a Dustman brings us garbage collection gone terribly awry, vicious recycling, blackmail, murder, suicide, burly Highlanders chucking large hammers about, superstitions, lies, and a lot of dinner dates at the local Italian restaurant.

Ahhh. It is good
Geri
Feb 27, 2017 Geri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always have loved the (Death of Books)
So I liked this one very much as well.
You can just feel the setting of the Highlands.
I love it.
Josephine
This was my first Hamish Macbeth book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have read almost all of the Agatha Raisin books by M.C. Beaton so thought I would give Hamish a try. The little Highland town of Lochdubh is on the surface a very peaceful and sleepy place where the pace of life is easy going and everyone knows every one else and their business, or do they? When Fergus Macleod, abusive drunk and wife beater is promoted from dustman to 'Environment Officer' it goes to his head and he becomes eve ...more
C.J. Prince
Apr 27, 2014 C.J. Prince rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never leave home without Hamish Macbeth. Really. What will I do when I've come to book 30 or is it 31. I'll think on that later.

I love the Scottish terminology and was interested to learn that a "dustman" is a garbage man. So, right there I've improved my vocabulary.

M.C. Beatton continues to rev up the motives and possibilities of murder. Just when you might suspect a writer would be getting stale, she surprises the reader.

The common dustman, severe alcoholic and wife abuser is promoted to Envi
Spuddie
Sep 01, 2009 Spuddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#17 Hamish MacBeth Scottish cozy police mystery. One of the councilwomen in Strathbane, eager for some attention, targets Lochdubh for her 'go green' campaign and enlists the local dustman, Fergus Macleod, to get the residents to separate their rubbish for recycling. Fergus, a nasty, wife-beating drunk who was on the verge of losing his job before Mrs. Fleming got him a new uniform and reason to be nasty, of course ends up dead. There's hardly a villager who hadn't been heard threatening him at ...more
Anne
Aug 03, 2015 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable and comical book, starring Hamish Macbeth in pursuit of the murderer and equally in pursuit of the love of Priscilla. The victim in this instance is a nasty piece of work, a drunk and abusive dustman, promoted to Environment Officer, and given a swanky new uniform.

The new environment officer, Mrs Fleming, is equally unpopular with the residents of Lochdubh. But she is a great comedy character, with her sense of self importance and determination to make a name for herself.

The my
The Flooze
May 22, 2016 The Flooze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comedy and misery combine to make another satisfying mystery from M.C. Beaton.

The death of a cruel dustman leaves Lochdubh littered with lies, suspicions...and lots of actual garbage. As is too often the case, Hamish finds himself suppressing evidence from Strathbane in an effort to protect the villagers. While his intentions are noble, some day he's going to truly go too far.

While Hamish is conducting an infinite round of interviews, we also get to know his new constable. It's obvious that, li
Helene Harrison
Review - I particularly loved Clarry in this one, only in this book really, but an excellent character, and very well developed considering how relatively minor he is. Still love Hamish and how he always manages to stumble onto the right answer. One of the best Hamish Macbeth mysteries I've read so far - very cleverly done, and the suspects were many, making it difficult to solve. This is the kind of mystery that I love. Description as good as ever.

Genre? - Crime / Mystery

Characters? - Hamish Ma
Selah (abibliophilesstyle)
Haha, American me thought a dustman was like a chimney sweep. Oops! I felt a bit lost at first, having skipped a book or two (not available from my library), but it's not too hard to figure out what's going on in the village. Hamish was at his secret keeping best / worst. Thankfully he wasn't womanizing in this installment.
Susan Webb
Jun 01, 2017 Susan Webb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this Hamish Macbeth story. Hamish tries so hard to protect the privacy of a few villagers and it wears him down. He solved both murders and yet it was his strange dog that told him of the ending of one of the murderers. I don't want to say too much and give anything away. This was one of the better Hamish Macbeth stories I have read.
Deanne
Feb 21, 2017 Deanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crimethriller
When lochdubh gets a new dustman and goes green the villagers are soon threatening to kill him, so when someone puts him out with the rubbish there are lots of suspects.
Kate
"They are still called dustmen in Britain. Not garbage collectors or sanitation engineers, but dustmen. And Lochdubh's dustman is a drunk named Fergus Macleod who lives in a run-down cottage and abuses his wife and four small children. His lot in life seems to improve with the arrival of Freda Fleming, an environmentalist recently elected to Strathbane Council who intends to 'green' Lochdubh. Setting up an elaborate recycling center, the politically ambitious councilwoman doubles Fergus's salary ...more
Eric_W
Nov 15, 2008 Eric_W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beaton is such a delight. She has such a way at describing the idiosyncratic characters that populate her books. In this latest Hamish Macbeth story, Hamish has been promoted to sergeant and he now has to supervise a new constable, Clarry, who has few genuine police skills but is a great cook. Freda Fleming, a power-seeking environmentalist recently elected to Strathbane Council, decides that Lochdubh (pronounced Lockdoo) is perfect to use as a vehicle to bring herself to national attention, so ...more
Sharon
Mar 25, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Working my way through M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth series. I love the details about life in the Scottish highland villages in the 1980s and '90s. Also the attention given to accents, geographical details and the weather. I feel as though I've visited, in both the summer and winter. She convincingly draws out the romance between the protagonist and the love of his life that he's trying to forget. This is the 17th book in the series and I'm still hoping that they will end up living happily ever a ...more
Mark
Mar 08, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recentlyread
Hamish Macbeth mysteries are like comfort food—though you might want to have a taste for haggis. If you're familiar with the excellent 90s TV series starring Robert Carlyle, which occasionally gets a re-airing on BBC America, it's only lightly based on the novels by M.C. Beaton (Marion Chesney). These have a tone of light satire, magic realism, and Highland noir similar to the TV version, but other than Hamish himself the characters are all different and the plots are more conventional murder my ...more
Kristi | Hidden Staircase |
I think with this book I have finally caught up and read the entire Macbeth series. These books are such fun. I especially enjoyed Dustman as it takes place in Lochdubh with the locals, whom Hamish always works furiously to protect from the detectives in Inverness. It was fun to finally meet Clarry, who I know from later books.
I'm going to look back through my Macbeth books and hope I've got one more unread book left to enjoy. If not, I'll have to just start the series again, reading them in or
Kelsey Hanson
This was a darker novel than some of the others. I admit that sometimes the author's viewpoints really irritates me. She sometimes makes women seem stupid or makes light of serious issues like domestic abuse. This is a bit more serious than the others and at least shows the consequences and as a plus it actually stays pretty focused on the actual mystery instead of the rest of the plot.
Karen
Oct 27, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not enjoy this as much as the other Hamish Macbeth series books I've read. It was dark, depressing, and seemed to ramble on forever. The ending was horrible.
Dail Sams
May 26, 2017 Dail Sams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
L0chduhb's unpleasant, bullying garbage man is found dead in a large recycling bin, and Hamish begins an investigation leading to backmail, wife beating, and a second murder, though most of the townspeople are not willing to tell all they know.
Ayny
Humor with a mystery, but a muddled ending. Not her best, but I will read more Hamish books.
Claire Allison
Uncomplicated & clean compared to my normal choice of crime novels. Lightly entertaining as an audiobook.
Stacielynn
Hamish doesn't disappoint. The usual array of quirky characters with fascinating back stories and complex motives. Loved the new constable.
WyrmbergSabrina
Jun 17, 2017 WyrmbergSabrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
A very enjoyable, gentle murder mystery set in the Highlands.
Karen
Jun 14, 2017 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't a bad book, but it was a bit long and rambling and took a while to reach its conclusion. Also, once again, the only likable character is Hamish, and sometimes Angela Brodie.

Cheryl Fontes
May 25, 2017 Cheryl Fontes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast read. Great mystery. Love Hamish.
Brittany
Mar 22, 2017 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so amused by the characters
Diane
Mar 21, 2017 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
definitely a fun, light read.
Gwen
Mar 06, 2017 Gwen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gwen by: mystery book club, March 2017
Shelves: book-club
3.21.2017 update: Hamish Macbeth is still a terrible police officer.

Apparently, my mistake was treating this like an actual mystery rather than a cozy... So much of this is beyond belief: (view spoiler) and I just c
An Odd1
Jan 01, 2015 An Odd1 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
"Lord, Lord, how this world is given to lying" - Shakespeare p 220. Relevant quotes precede chapters.

"How could the bad times come when they were already here?" p 7 - Martha Macleod.
"the glory of the summer Highlands, where the buzzards soared free above, and the mountains and moors lay gentle in the mellow sun" p 9.

"Men sleep around, why shouldn't women? That's what they preach on the box ..
Do you remember when modesty in women was considered a virtue?"
"I'm not old enough" p 88.

"Someone must
Jeff
Love series and it is great for listening to as audio book when taking my morning walks/jogs/runs, however after listening to the first 15 the reader was changer starting with this book and while he is just fine I got so use to the prior reader who had became Hamish and now with the new reader the character has changed and I need to adjust, but still love series.
  • Evan Help Us (Constable Evans, #2)
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • The Three Kings of Cologne (Roger the Chapman, #16)
  • Murder in Volume (Megan Clark, #1)
  • Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)
  • Malled to Death (A Mall Cop Mystery, #3)
  • Night Frost (Inspector Frost, #3)
  • Out on a Limb (Claire Malloy, #14)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton...

Hamish Macbeth (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1)
  • Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2)
  • Death of an Outsider (Hamish Macbeth, #3)
  • Death of a Perfect Wife (Hamish Macbeth, #4)
  • Death of a Hussy (Hamish Macbeth, #5)
  • Death of a Snob (Hamish Macbeth, #6)
  • Death of a Prankster (Hamish Macbeth, #7)
  • Death of a Glutton (Hamish Macbeth, #8)
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth, #9)
  • Death of a Charming Man (Hamish Macbeth, #10)

“Times are changed with him who marries; there are no more bypath meadows, where you may innocently linger, but the road lies long and straight and dusty to the grave. —Robert Louis Stevenson Four” 0 likes