Start by marking “Bienvenue à Lovecraft (Locke & Key #1)” as Want to Read:
Bienvenue à Lovecraft (Locke & Key #1)

Bienvenue à Lovecraft (Locke & Key #1)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  41,419 Ratings  ·  2,704 Reviews
La famille Locke est déchirée. Après le meurtre brutal du père par un étudiant déséquilibré, tous emménagent dans la vieille demeure familiale. Mais quand une île s'appelle Lovecraft, la prudence est de mise ! Derrière les portes closes se dissimulent des secrets dangereux.

Une intrigue captivante, des coups de théâtre imprévisibles, servis par le dessin impeccable de Gabri
Published November 2010 by Milady (first published September 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Bienvenue à Lovecraft, please sign up.

Ken-ichi I agree with Alex, definitely too violent. You might consider Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book if you haven't already. Not a comic, but similar…moreI agree with Alex, definitely too violent. You might consider Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book if you haven't already. Not a comic, but similar subjects and themes.(less)

Stephen
You can color me SOLD on this series.

Photobucket

Here's another intelligent, strongly written story with which to pummel the perceptions of the elitist book snobbers, who sneer and snide at the graphic novel medium.

To them, I politely say, "BITE ME"...because this is great stuff.

I was excited to read this because it was written by Joe Hill, the talented offspring of a certain literary King who shall remain nameless Stephen. While I thought Hill’s Heart-Shaped Box was a promising first work, I really fell
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I think most of my friends on Goodreads have either shelved this book to read or have read it. I had to jump on that bandwagon but I was a bit scared.

You see most of them have loved it. Except Erica But she is a hater rebel. Usually books that everyone else loves and fangirl/boys over tend to leave me dry.

I actually liked this one!

It starts off all violent and shit. This guy is killed by a teenage nut job and the nut job is going for his family also, but they get away from him and he ends up
Kat Stark
Feb 29, 2016 Kat Stark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Second Book: Locke & Key, Vol. 2
Third Book: Locke & Key, Vol. 3
Fourth Book: Locke & Key, Vol. 4
Fifth Book: Locke & Key, Vol. 5
Sixth Book: Locke & Key, Vol. 6

This brings a whole new meaning to the phrase, “when one door closes, another one opens.”

...No, seriously. I’m serious.

You can change your gender and everything. Great for those transexuals, bet it saves a lot of money. Plus, if I was PMSing, I could just say, “fuck it” and grow a dick. And teleportation to anywhere?
Raeleen Lemay
Mar 12, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, graphicomanga
I'm not a huge fan of the art style in this, but the story was so dark and twisted that I couldn't help but love the book overall.
Alejandro
Jul 02, 2015 Alejandro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alejandro by: Gieliza
Fuck! ... That was an admiring “Fuck” not a “Fuck you” Fuck.

Creative Team:

Writer and Co-Creator: Joe Hill

Illustrator and Co-Creator: Gabriel Rodriguez

Coloring: Jay Fotos

Lettering: Robbie Robbins

KEY TO SUCCESS

Welcome to Keyhouse, kid.

Was it weird to grow up in a house with a name?

You have no idea.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about this comic book series, but...

...oh, boy! I never thought that it was THAT GOOD!!!

This first volume was really awesome!

The creative team, Hill & Rodrig
Bookworm Sean
I’m annoyed because I feel like the author has written this for the single purpose of making me go and read the sequels. He has left almost everything unanswered; it’s all one big mystery that I’ve been invited to go and solve.

Isn’t that a little cheap?

I wanted something at the end of this. But I got nothing, only more questions. Sure, mysteries are great, but there needs to be a good story as well. It takes more than curiosity to make me enjoy something.

description

There are a few good things here. The a
Anne
Re-read 2015

Thank you Dᴀɴ 2.’s for letting me read your copy of this one!

For some odd reason I only gave this 4 stars the first time around. Not sure what I was thinking? This was fantastic! All 5 stars!
Have you read this series yet?
If not, DO IT!

description

Original review 2012
This is the first thing I've read by Joe Hill, and I have to say that I'm very impressed. The dialogue was amazing, and the characters felt quite real, especially for a graphic novel.
What seems to be a story about a family dealing w
mark monday
Nov 12, 2015 mark monday rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to mark by: Michael
oooooo.... an eerie old mansion on a woody estate, strange mysteries and dangerous secrets, a tangled and forgotten past, a san francisco family of three - father slain - seeking a new life on an island named Lovecraft off the coast of massachusetts, in a place called The Keyhouse. a beautiful girl who lives at the bottom of a well, an insane killer on the hunt for magical keys, doors that open into odd places, walk through one door and change your gender, walk through another door and turn into ...more
Will M.
After months of putting this aside, I finally decided to read this. The premise was very gripping, and the execution was adequate. It's not the best graphic novel I've ever read, but it does have the type of plot that would keep you reading till the end. I can't wait to read the second volume and find out what happens next.

Ups:
-Fantastic plot
-Likable Characters
They all had their own problems, and each one resulted positively in terms of enjoyment. I enjoyed the graphic novel more because of that
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I’m giving this 4 Stars because it’s the first in the series and I need some rating wiggle room Fuck that, this gets all the stars.

Locke & Key is proof that there is indeed a graphic novel out there for everyone. Being from a small town without a lot of a lot of exposure to the world of comic books and being a *gasp* GIRL on top of that . . .

Commercial Photography

I never bothered with the genre until I birthed a tiny little nerd and then I started da
Patrick
Dec 30, 2014 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading Locke & Key a couple years ago, I kinda shrugged and thought to myself, "Yeah. Okay. That's pretty good...."

But the story got its hooks into me pretty quickly after that. Unique concept. Great art. Great storytelling. Great characters.

I read a blurb somewhere that said something along the lines of, "Locke & Key is this generation's Sandman." I don't know if I'd go that far... but if someone wanted to take that stance around me, I don't think I'd waste much
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

Please don’t tell me that I didn’t get it, it’s no use. I already feel as if I didn’t read the same book as all the friends I trust who loved it.

I know that many readers loved the art, but it threw me off completely. First because in my opinion none of the characters look like their ages (Sam and Tyler, teenagers ??!!) and that increased my general confusion in the beginning. Secondly I thought that all the shapes were too ‘abrupt’, with weird shades on the faces, for example, and it wasn't a p
Trudi

Re-reading this for the third time as I get ready to tackle the final two volumes in the series: Clockworks and Alpha & Omega. I love everything about the world and its rules Joe Hill has conjured here, and the characters he has lovingly crafted to live in its pages. Locke & Key has become one of my favorite series ever and I can't wait to see how it's going to end.

2012 Review:
This is my second go around with Joe Hill's phenomenal foray into graphic novel territory (to prepare for Vol
Lyndsey
This book was (I imagine) what it might be like to down a spoonful of sugar that was, unbeknownst to you, laced with Meth.

What is IN this shi-at, Mary?!

The sugary spoonful sounds like a great idea in your head. "A house full of strange locks and doors with many keys that perform different astonishing feats. One door that can force your consciousness out of your body, while your body appears to be dead. A special key that can open any door and take you anywhere." Sounds great, right? Unfortunatel
Algernon
May 25, 2014 Algernon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, 2014

This will be a rushed review, because :
1) I was too engrossed in the story to take notes,
2) I want to start on the second album as soon as possible.

The first thing I feel you need to know about the comic is that it is definitely a horror story, not for the faint of heart. Yes, the protagonists are very young, namely the three children of the Locke family, but I hesitate to call it Young Adult material, given the physical and psychological torments they are put through right from the start. Ther
Brandon
Apr 18, 2014 Brandon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, comix, fiction, 2012, idw
When I put down Horns, I had a feeling I was going to be a Joe Hill fan. However, when I finished Locke and Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft, I traded that "feeling" in for a Joe Hill fanboy membership.

Good Gravy, this book was spectacular.

Granted, I had my reservations before cracking the cover (which I think I literally did when I dropped it on the floor of the library). Whenever I start a second book by an author I reallllly liked the first time around, my head fills with all these questions
Lou
Apr 22, 2012 Lou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Joe hill does it again, conjuring up another tale of dread, macabre and supernatural goings on with a real gem of a main protagonist in the form of a young kid.
The young boy in question loses someone dear to him and only hopes to be with them. Opportunity presents itself in the form of doors and keys, will he be able to unlock another realm of possibilities. Doors play a key role in the everyday swing of things. Stories have been written involving doors opening up to all kinds of opportune choi
Ɗắɳ  2.☠
Aug 23, 2015 Ɗắɳ 2.☠ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Ɗắɳ 2.☠ by: Becky

Okay here goes my second dip into the shallow end. I had so much fun with my initial venture, Saga, that I was more than willing to test out the waters once again.

You can go ahead and mark me down as two for two, because this shit was fantastic! The only criticism I could even level, is perhaps the writing is a bit clunky here & there. But honestly, when I looked back over a few of the sections I had issue with, they seemed fine the second time around. The artwork is top notch. Perhaps it's
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Note to self: stop trying to read comics on your Kindle Fire. The screen is too small and the panels seem to have a life of their own (oh look! They zoom in and out all by themselves! It's magic!). Ugh. I guess I'll just have to wait for this to go on sale. Because there's no way I'm spending 20 on a graphic novel. Nope nope nope.

J.L.   Sutton
A chili cheeseburger with avocado, tomatoes and jalapenos, there's plenty to sink your teeth into in Joe Hill's Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft. It's a psychological horror story (not that the blood and gore isn't there in spades), but I feel like the characters are driven by guilt and tormented by what's missing from their lives. I enjoyed it. Not sure I will continue the series, even though the story became more compelling as it came to an end (of part 1). I do like my cheeseburgers, but ...more
Forrest
Oct 11, 2014 Forrest rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has been on my TBR shelf for a while now (as have many other books), but I hesitated to pick this up, though I've had opportunity before, because I was afraid of being disappointed. Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft may be one of the coolest titles I've heard of in a long time. It's evocative, and I was worried that the evocation might go horribly awry.

My fears were unfounded.

I'll spare you the story - several other reviewer friends of mine have outlined the story more clearly
Michael
Apr 23, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story begins.... hmmm, see that's the thing with this comic - I'm three words into this review and I've already lied to you. I'll try again.
So bad things happen to the Locke family and the survivors move out to a creepy house on an island. Some of the issues focus on one of the kids in particular. They're all traumatised or changed in some way. I think I liked Bode the best. He's the youngest kid.
The opening panel of this book shows a door. There's going to be a lot of doors in this book -
Joca
Oct 03, 2015 Joca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Não esperava algo assim tão atmosférico e envolvente. Quero os outros volumes urgentemente!
Melissa Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

The graphics in the book are phenomenal! I liked the story line as well. I love the character of Bode, he just tries to do the right thing. Poor little guy, all of this violence going on around him!

I'm looking forward to reading these books and finding out what is the meaning to all of these doors. Where did they come from?

You also have bad guys in the book you have to deal with, but hopefully they will get out of the freaking way so I can find out about the
Liz BooksandStuff
May 03, 2016 Liz BooksandStuff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Series review: https://booksandstuff1357.wordpress.c...

“Secrets are the prisons we make for ourselves.”

This comic series, alongside Saga, Chew, and Runaways, led me back to the magical land of comics and graphic novels of V for Vendetta, Watchmen, and Sandman, after a good two years without reading a single one.
Morgannah
Jun 17, 2015 Morgannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a newbie to graphic novels. I have read The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes and Through the Woods and while I found them interesting I also found them difficult to understand. I wanted to try at least one more before I gave up for good and Joe Hill's Locke & Key series came so highly recommended I couldn't pass it up.
I liked this one! There’s magic and strange supernatural presences that might have once been real life human beings and a kid who has gone completely bonkers. Withi
Danger
Aug 17, 2015 Danger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark and strange and intriguing.

I haven't read a graphic novel in a long while, which is a damn shame because I love them soooooooooo much. Money has been tight over the past few...well, money has always been tight and unfortunately comics are the first "luxury" item to go when I'm trying to figure out how to pay for food. I mean, the $$$$-to-time ratio you get from comics doesn't really pan out when there are assloads of 1000 page books that cost the same price take longer than a day to read. L
Becky
I fucking love Joe Hill.

I've been a fan of his since reading Heart-Shaped Box way back in 2008. And yeah, I knew that he was King's son, but to tell the truth, that doesn't matter. Joe Hill inherited a really active creativity and storytelling gene from his father, and for that I'm thankful, but his work stands on its own merits.

With the exception of the Locke & Key series, I've read everything he's written. And now I'm working on catching up on this. And I have no idea why I waited this l
Brent Weeks
May 22, 2014 Brent Weeks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
(This review stands as my review for the entire series.)
Reading Locke & Key was a revelation to me. I was not a kid who grew up reading comic books, so I’ve spent the last few years educating myself by reading some of the best and some of the middle of the medium—usually on recommendations from those who have read far more than I.
However, it was with Joe Hill’s Locke & Key that I felt I finally ran into a master who understood the strengths of the form. I’m sure it helps that at the mom
Sam Quixote
I read this puppy when it first came out a few years ago and really wanted to like it, and didn’t. So, now the series is done, I thought I’d go back and give it another shot - maybe I was in the wrong frame of mind, or maybe I was just plain wrong, and this time I’d love it? Nope - still terrible, unfortunately.

Three kids - an older boy, his slightly younger sister, and their youngest sibling, a boy called Bode (and the only one whose name I could remember, purely for being such an odd name!) -
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 2: Inside Man
  • Afterlife with Archie, Vol. 1: Escape from Riverdale
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 1: The Shadow of Death
  • Fatale, Vol. 1: Death Chases Me
  • Fables, Vol. 6: Homelands
Joseph Hillstrom King (born 1972) is an American writer of fiction and comic books, writing under the pen name of Joe Hill.

As of 2016 he has published four novels, a collection of short stories, a six-volume graphic novel series, and more. His most recent novel, The Fireman, debuted at #1 on the New York Times Bestseller list, and his novel Horns was made into a movie starring Daniel Radcliffe.

Hil

• Locke & Key, Vol. 6: Alpha & Omega
  • Locke and Key: Guide to the Known Keys
  • Locke and Key: Grindhouse
  • Locke & Key: Small World

“No. You can’t understand. Because you’re reading the last chapter of something without having read the first chapter. You’re a little guy, Bode. Kids always think they’re coming into a story at the beginning, when they’re usually coming in at the end.” 1 likes