Start by marking “Dragon Outcast (Age of Fire, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Outcast (Age of Fire, #3)

Dragon Outcast (Age of Fire #3)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,294 ratings  ·  50 reviews
The young, nameless Copper dragon was an outcast from his own kind, but he survived his trials by fire to prove himself equal to any enemy-and to finally take his place among those who abandoned him.
ebook, 1st Edition, 368 pages
Published December 1st 2007 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Outcast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Outcast

Dragon Outcast is the story of the Copper (later: Rugaard), the outcast of the clutch, sibling to Auron and Wistala. Crippled at birth and cast out by his family (only one male per clutch survives), he seeks revenge through dwarves... who betray him and slaughter his family before his eyes. Fleeing to the Lower World, the Copper finds a family in the form of the dragons of the Lavadome; however, political unease makes it a dangerous place for those who oppose certain dragons.

This book was noth...more
Amy
The Copper wasn't quite so bad (or evil) as his siblings make him out to be, but they also wouldn't have a good grasp on what he's been through. Granted, he's also not a very nice dragon to those he doesn't like, but you can't really blame him considering everything he goes through.

The Lavadome dragons made me want to throttle them a few times, but I'm sure that's what Mr. Knight was going for. He certainly succeeded at setting up a corrupted, lazy society of dragons.

Overall, a good read.
Adelaide Metzger
In the recent past, I’ve found it difficult to review sequels or books in an ongoing series because sometimes plots can get repetitive or thinned out after the first installment. That isn’t completely true here with the first three of E.E. Knight’s Age of Fire series.

The first one was a great introduction to the series and stayed true to the praises that supported it--it was a great adventure but, with me being sensitive, I knocked back a star or two for the animalistic brutality of the main ch...more
Bogdan Gavriliuc
I'd recommend this to anyone who loves dragons.

This one was different from the first two (they are all different in some respect).
First off, you really get to sympathize for the treacherous copper, you learn his side of it all.
To put it in perspective, from very early on, he has a crippled limb, an injured eye, an injured wing, later he loses a toe, and a good chunk of his hide, etc.
This poor thing can hardly fight or fly, yet still finds somehow to keep up his end. His thinking for the most...more
Jonathan Beckett
Alongside the first one this is one of the finest books of the series I have ever read. You really do sypathize for The Copper in this book. It has a very different tone in the early part of the book as you follow this young exiled hatchling than the other 2 before it. Like the others before it this book restarts the events of the first and second except this time in the perspective of the nameless Copper. You really end up sympathizing for this poor dragon not only for his loss of a family but...more
Ashley Honecker
An exceptional installment of the Age of Fire series, Dragon Outcast takes us down to the lowest pits of draconic society. Maimed by his brother and cast out by his family, the copper, the first male hatchling on the egg shelf, seems to have been born under unkindly stars, for misfortune follows him wherever he goes. Shunned by his family, he leads a pitiful existence, scrounging around in the garbage heaps for meager scrapings and living in the cold depths of the Lower World. Nameless and lamed...more
Nena Crist
I'm not much for Science Fiction stuff, but this series holds my attention. Each book is told from the POV of one of three dragons belonging to the same "shelf" (siblings, if you will). You get to experience this particular world through three separate sets of eyes. This particular book is told from the POV of the Copper dragon, who remains nameless for a majority of the book. He lost the battle between he and the only other male on their "shelf", so he was rejected altogether... Because Knight...more
Clicque
"Je suis d�sol�e, dragonnet. Tu es banni. Tu devras apprendre � survivre seul. " Tel est l'accueil r�serv� au jeune dragon cuivr� � peine sorti de l'?uf. Priv� de nom, estropi� tandis qu'il combat son fr�re pour devenir le champion de leur nich�e, le voici abandonn� par ses parents. Sous la menace de nains app�t�s par l'or, il sauve sa propre vie en trahissant ceux qui l'ont rejet�... et paiera pour cela un prix qu'il n'aurait jamais pu imaginer. Exil�, il entreprend un incroyable p�riple pour d...more
Lori
Aug 18, 2010 Lori rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lori by: brother
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
The third of a series telling the story from a dragon's viewpoint. I didn't like it as well as the first two. It's hard for me to actually articulate why. This story is about the 3rd young dragon of a clutch of eggs who gets booted out of the family due to his brother dominating in a fight. As he grows and goes on w/ life he comes across an entire "city" of dragons w/ social stratospheres the way humans have. Everything is exactly as if this were a castle w/ the King and Queen and all the levels...more
Becca
The third installment of the Age of Fire series was very well written. I was sucked into the story immediately, which was awesome considering the amount of time that passed between reading #2 and #3. Knight has developed a really well rounded character in The Copper. I'm glad to finely see the end of the Dragonblade which had me wondering what happened to him in the first two books. The story so far has definitely left me wondering what is going to happen when the sibling dragons all meet up aga...more
Rosie
Oliver
Found this one in 2007 in a bookstore, by itself. Didn't know much about the rest of the series for several more years, but this one alone captured my imagination. This book is much more worn and weathered than the other five in the series on my shelf, and not just because it's older than the rest. The story is my favorite. The lonely, outcast Copper getting lost and in his roundabout way finding a massive, hidden community of dragons, one of the last on earth... It's a really inspiring story. T...more
Ryan Szesny
What drew me to this series was the unique point of view: that of the dragons. The dragons seem too human in this for me.
noodle
Jan 15, 2009 noodle rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like dragons.
Recommended to noodle by: Chris
F.J. Hansen
My least favorite of the series, but still very good. I couldn't help but to sympathize with the Copper. Indeed, in the beginning, when he is exiled, I could really feel his pain. I enjoyed following in his journey and beat the odds stacked against him. I liked the relationship between the Copper and Rhea, the Human girl, even if it doesn't beat the one between Auron and Heiba in the first book.

The climax felt a little weak to me, but the Copper's speech at the end made up for it. That gave me...more
Brandy
The series is really ramping up in this third installment of the Age of Fire. I feel like I really understand the copper outcast and of the three siblings his trials and tribulations seemed the most raw & realistic. I understand how the challenges he has faced can create the character he becomes and empathize with the tough choices he is often forced to make. Even if he isn't a "good" guy...you still fall in love with the scrapper who never ever quits and won't let anyone else quit either.
Dan Rheingans
The third book in the Age of Fire series does not fail to entertain. The writing of this book improved from the first two and it was a very enjoyable light fantasy read. I particularly like the way the author branched the first three books from a singular event and told three distinct tales. It was very creative and an original way of going about things. My only complaint is that, like the first two, the book does take some time to get flowing, but overall a good read!
Pete Storm
I liked this one better than the other two. The scrappy dragon outcast clawing his way up in dragon society was interesting. I liked this character more than either of the others, which sustained the book. More story overlapping, but not as much, as this dragon is a little more isolated.

The dragon's casual violence against essentially everyone nondragon is great. It really made me feel the characters were monsters, not just humans with scales and wings.

Tempest
This is the best book of the Age of Fire so far. RuGaard, the traitorous young dragon who had destroyed his family shows his other side when you get to know him and his struggles of growing up abandoned and starving just feet from his uncaring parents. After the dwarves destroy his family, he is an outast lost in the world. This book of a nameless hatchling finding himself and his true family and eventualy becoming a Tyr (king) is one of a kind
Corey Grozelle
wow we that was amazing and sorry took so long really forgeting on track of books to read really. and i say its how the age of fire how its started wow we and the dragonblade keep appearing on the first and second its like dejivu all over again.

i say its good to see what happens next i guess to WAR!.
Susan
E.E. Knight writes another captivating dragon story. I expected the Copper to be a more cunning, sinister character and therefore not to like him much; fortunately, that wasn't the case. I did, however, enjoy Dragon Champion and Dragon Avenger a bit more though.. still excited for the next one!
Marissa
The Copper's tale is a great addition to the stories of his brother and sister. It is interesting to see his perspective and the reasons behind what happened to set all three stories in motion. It will be interesting to see how the three come together in the next part of the series.
Ginn
I think of all the hatchlings' stories I like the one of the Copper the best, despite what he did to his family. He's the underdog, having to struggle to live despite being somewhat deformed, has a lot of bad things happen to him, yet in the end comes out on top.
R. Vesna
This is the best book in the Age of Fire series so far.

This story details the adventures of the Copper from his early life to his rise to power. The character development is great. The final sequence is very anticlimatic and leave the reader wishing for more.
Tiffany
I wasn't sure how I would feel about his little dragon after reading the first two books and seeing their side. However, I ended up falling in love with this little copper dragon and all that he has to go through to become accepted among the other dragons.
Richard Jacoby
This series is beginning to out pace the Vampire Earth series. Very enjoyable. He is keeping this fresh with new characters. Knight could use his own advice back on the Vampire Earth series and give someone besides David Valentine a story.
Garret
An entertaining book. All about dragons. How can you not like that? This is also a series, the first book is Dragon Champion, the second is Dragon Avenger, all by E.E. Knight.
Celia Jarest
I think this one was so well written and do in depth. The details from the first two were poored in here on top of the author telling a brand new story on old details.
Shane
Possibly as good as the first. With 3 more books in the series I was skeptical after reading book 2, but now I'm very excited.
Brittany
I didn't think I'd enjoy this dragon's perspective, but I was pleasantly surprised...still, not gripping me.
  • Legends of the Dragonrealm
  • The Lesser Kindred (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #2)
  • The Witch Of Clatteringshaws
  • Dragon War
  • The Son of Summer Stars (Firebringer, #3)
  • Shadowed By Wings (Dragon Temple Saga, #2)
  • The Last Hunt (Unicorn Chronicles, #4)
  • Mistress of Dragons (The Dragonvarld Trilogy, #1)
  • Dragon and Phoenix (Dragonlord, #2)
  • Sign of the Dove (The Dragon Chronicles, Book 3)
  • The Griffin's War (The Fallen Moon #3)
  • Dragonforge (Dragon Age, #2)
  • Victory of Eagles (Temeraire, #5)
  • Dragonworld
Way of the Wolf (Vampire Earth #1) Dragon Champion (Age of Fire #1) Choice of the Cat (Vampire Earth #2) Tale of the Thunderbolt (Vampire Earth #3) Valentine's Rising (Vampire Earth #4)

“A Bad start is still a start by Tyr FaHazathant” 1 likes